• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playgrounds |OT| More entertaining & less predicable than the NBA play-offs!

Cornbread78

DVAwVnf.jpg

Release Date: May 9, 2017
Developer: Saber Interactive
Genre: Sports game
Platforms: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Microsoft Windows
Modes: Single-player video game, Multiplayer video game
Price:$19.99

Steam Page:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/545270/NBA_Playgrounds/

PC System Requirements:
Minimum:
OS: Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit or Windows 10 64-bit
Processor: Intel core i3 CPU 530 2.93GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GT 630
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 7 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0x compatible sound card

Recommended:
OS: Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit or Windows 10 64-bit
Processor: Intel Core i5-4690 3.50 Ghz or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 670, similar or better
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 7 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0x compatible sound card

What is it:
Classic NBA arcade action is back! Take your “A” game to the playground and beat the best in high-flying 2-on-2 basketball action. Practice your skills offline, play with up to three others and take your talents online to posterize your opponents with acrobatic jams and ridiculous displays of skill. Game includes a roster of both today's NBA Superstars and Legends from the past including Allen Iverson, LeBron James, Steph Curry, and Shaquille O'neal.

Features:
• Easy to play, challenging to master
• Offline and Online Multiplayer
• Massive roster of current and retired NBA superstars
• All the official NBA teams
• Travel to playgrounds across the globe
• Hundreds of dunks and moves
• Collect all your favorite players
• Improve players over time
• Compete against the master of the playground himself - Allen Iverson
• Even more NBA superstars will be added post-launch

Progression system:
NBA Playgrounds features a progression system to unlock over 200 NBA Superstar and Legends, and uncover new moves for each player as you upgrade their experience.

Multiplayer:
*Online play delayed on Switch version*

Playgrounds will offer four-person local multiplayer action (i.e., two people versus two others, all playing on the same system), but only one-on-one play online. Saber plans to add two-on-two online functionality after launch in an “early update.”
*Polygon Article here

- Online tournaments coming in an update later
- Dunk Contest and 3 point shootout coming in a later update
- No Misconstructions as of now

Player Roster:
Here's a list of all 250 players included at launch:
tk8OIr9.png

In addition to the list above, there will also be "hundreds more NBA superstars," available post launch per Saber Interactive.

Screenshots:

Media:

Debut Trailer:
https://youtu.be/J3a_s0EIYsc

Official Trailer:
https://youtu.be/J3a_s0EIYsc

PS4 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/J9XO1iibfSI

Switch Gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHIr...ature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpKBixEhGJU

PS4 Pro Online Gameplay:
https://youtu.be/hwGBi4qNY-A
(Thanks, Shao Kahn Brewing a Stew)

Reviews:

PS4 Meta
Switch Meta
PC Meta

y0ItbCn.jpg

I threw something together quick and dirty for the game. Please post up some good gifs because the game looks like it could be some fun!

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
All dunks is the easy way to start out if you pull high stat dunkers.

Same strat works for 3s.

jmizzal

I'll add more to the OP later/tomm. Just threw tbus one together quickly in between meetings.

Thanks

Some updates you should add are

Hundreds of more plays will be added for free later
Switch Online coming in a few days
2-2 online (4 real players) coming in a update later
Online tournaments coming in an update later
Dunk Contest and 3 point shootout coming in a later update
No Misconstructions as of now

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Switch version-Big differences I see are the lack of shadows and special effects around your player and the background animation such as cars going by look almost like they're stuttering along.

Xbox and PS4 have shadows and just seem to run much better.

Kind of a let down with the Switch version as the game surely can't be pushing the hardware *that* hard and IMHO should have pretty much the same visual parity between all versions.

That said, I miss my NBA Jams and this will fit nicely on my Switch!

Karish

"Demo" was mostly good. Was concerned with how effective pushing and stealing were, but apparently it was an early build. Def getting for switch.

Amneisac

Thanks

Wow, it doesn't support 2 on 2 yet!? That seems like a tremendous oversight for launch. I'll wait at least until that gets patched in.

ElNino

Thanks Cornbread. Gonna get this tomorrow for switch. Be a fun game to play with my 8 year old.
My 10 year old has been watching YouTube streams all weekend looking forward to it, and playing NBA Jam to get "in the mood". I'm sure he'll get a game or two in before school tomorrow morning.

We'll be playing it on Xbox One as most of his friends are there.

Schnozberry

Switch version-Big differences I see are the lack of shadows and special effects around your player and the background animation such as cars going by look almost like they're stuttering along.

Kind of a let down with the Switch version as the game surely can't be pushing the hardware *that* hard and IMHO should have pretty much the same visual parity between all versions.

Switch version could have been a late decision. Seems like a competent port but there's definitely room for improvement.

That said, there are fairly well known limitations with the Switch hardware. It looks pretty good all things considered, and may get better with future updates.

My 10 year old has been watching YouTube streams all weekend looking forward to it, and playing NBA Jam to get "in the mood". I'm sure he'll get a game or two in before school tomorrow morning.

We'll be playing it on Xbox One as most of his friends are there.

Nice!

ElNino

It's been a long time coming to where I'm looking forward to the same games as him. He's obsessed with Madden, which I'm not a big fan of (2k style was my preference), but this looks like it will be fun.

My 5 years old should be able to play as well which is nice. Playing NBA 2k or Madden is too difficult for him to play effectively, although he's fine with NHL (helps that he plays minor hockey I think).

AEREC

No shadows is a killer for me. Not gonna get it now.

It's been a long time coming to where I'm looking forward to the same games as him. He's obsessed with Madden, which I'm not a big fan of (2k style was my preference), but this looks like it will be fun.

My 5 years old should be able to play as well which is nice. Playing NBA 2k or Madden is too difficult for him to play effectively, although he's fine with NHL (helps that he plays minor hockey I think).

Yeah I used to be huge into madden but dropped it for 2k. Sometimes I'll let my 8 year old just shoot in the gym practice mode.

Cornbread78

Thanks

Thanks, I added and updated some stuff to the OP. Also reformatted the player list in Adobe to make it easier to read.

dreamfall

Hope this turns out to be good - the online from that beta slip up was wonky as hell. Timing felt off - blocking felt weightless but shooting/dunking was great.

I'm very conflicted on this. I love me some Switch local multiplayer... But is it literally just two on two basketball? Wouldn't that get old fast? How does it compare to say one sport in Mario Sports Mix or like the sports included in Mario Party 4/5/6 (Volleyball/Ice Hockey/Basketball)

impirius

The delay and whistle before inbounding after a score seems really awkward. If that's meant to prevent cherry-picking, there has to be a dozen better ways to deal with it.

bumpkin

I tried the PS4 beta and that was present. I'll give you the rest though, they definitely did strip out some non-essential visual effects. Neither bothers me though as I don't remember the recent NBA Jam having fancy shadows/clothing either. As long it plays fast, fluid and fun on the Switch, I'm good.

I wonder what time it'll go live on the eShop. It'd be sweet to be able to fire it up during lunch and play a few games with my coworkers.

Schnozberry

I tried the PS4 beta and that was present. I'll give you the rest though, they definitely did strip out some non-essential visual effects. Neither bothers me though as I don't remember the recent NBA Jam having fancy shadows/clothing either. As long it plays fast, fluid and fun on the Switch, I'm good.

Yeah, I'm much more concerned about the potential for steal spamming on all the versions, because currently there is no stamina penalty for it.

bumpkin

Yeah, I'm much more concerned about the potential for steal spamming on all the versions, because currently there is no stamina penalty for it.
Agreed, they either need to tone down its effectiveness or impose a stamina penalty. I get that both players being able to do it makes it "fair", but it doesn't make it fun IMHO. Especially when they went and mapped steal to the same button as shoot when you shift from defense to offense. So you get into a stealing battle, maybe punch the ball away, but don't realize it until you're tossing the ball the length of the court.

I suspect this has been answered in the other threads, but just for clarification sake, will the Switch version support 4 players locally at launch?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Can't wait to go to my local basketball courts with 3 friends and our Switches and play this game.

I'm very conflicted on this. I love me some Switch local multiplayer... But is it literally just two on two basketball? Wouldn't that get old fast? How does it compare to say one sport in Mario Sports Mix or like the sports included in Mario Party 4/5/6 (Volleyball/Ice Hockey/Basketball)

Never heard of NBA Jam?

iso135

I know it has been said about a million times in the other thread, but as a Celtics fan this is a pretty strange lineup. Smart, Jaylen, and Horford? No IT, Avery, or Crowder?

My buddy and I are picking it up on the bone regardless.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I know you are ripping on the reveal trailer, but this would actually be great for the times that you are waiting for next game.

Where I used to play basketball, I'm pretty sure someone would steal my Switch while I was playing.

zeeaykay

Is this available at midnight? Seems strange that I haven't been able to find any official info on release time availability for download. There's not even a store page for it on xbox.

Review embargo is tomorrow at 9 a.m. EST.

Top Bottom