• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playgrounds |OT| More entertaining & less predicable than the NBA play-offs!

In the video, they showed it as a glowing area on the court itself. It's in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARNp7e_fqs4#t=0m19s

On a side note, did anyone else get a survey from Nintendo about the game on Switch? It had a bunch of general satisfaction related questions, asking what you like or find interesting about it, what you don't like about it, etc. I made sure to lay into them in the comments about why I'm unsatisfied, commented about the patches and all of that bullshit.

I see now, noticed when playing again and I wasn’t crushed on the boards as bad.

Hope they keep updating this game throughout the NBA season

derFeef

The Switch version is official dead I guess? Support does not answer my mails about my issues and missing updates at all.

bumpkin

The Switch version is official dead I guess? Support does not answer my mails about my issues and missing updates at all.
They've gone radio silent about the game on all platforms. A goddamn shame. I haven't seen them post a single thing on the FB community, though I find it interesting that they are still moderating/approving posts. I don't get it.

I wish EA would port Jam OFE and give us a better, more complete (and likely supported) game to play.

They've gone radio silent about the game on all platforms. A goddamn shame. I haven't seen them post a single thing on the FB community, though I find it interesting that they are still moderating/approving posts. I don't get it.

I wish EA would port Jam OFE and give us a better, more complete (and likely supported) game to play.

Hopefully just waiting for a big update announcement

derFeef

Hell yeah! Love OFE so much!
Hopefully 2K18 can bring me some portable basketball joy.

zVbJmoE.jpg

I'm glad they took so long to bring online to the Switch version. They really capitalised on creating a great community with their game

I'm glad they took so long to bring online to the Switch version. They really capitalised on creating a great community with their game

This is really sad, I had a few friends all into the game when it came out but we all stopped playing by the time online came out, it's still some of the most fun we've had in couch co-op when we have switch nights it.

Are they still releasing updates or is it dead now?

atr0cious

This is really sad, I had a few friends all into the game when it came out but we all stopped playing by the time online came out, it's still some of the most fun we've had in couch co-op when we have switch nights it.

In two weeks, the game becomes all but redundant to a majority of that potential demographic. I would like to get the next updates, but 2k is way more enticing and is already killing my interest in improving in playgrounds.

bumpkin

In two weeks, the game becomes all but redundant to a majority of that potential demographic. I would like to get the next updates, but 2k is way more enticing and is already killing my interest in improving in playgrounds.
I'm sure there's a lot of players - like myself - who don't care about 2K though. I've always gotten way more enjoyment out of arcade style hoops games like Playgrounds (and JAM). They're easy to pick up and play, include the staples of basketball at their core, but also have just enough of a touch of fantasy to make them more exciting than simulation style basketball. I still fire Playgrounds up for a few minutes every so often, but I'll admit that even my patience is wearing thin. I don't follow the modern NBA so I don't know (or care) about most of the current players. The patches the Switch doesn't have include a lot of old school players who I do care about and would love to collect and play as. That's why I really hope they haven't thrown in the towel on the game.

One of the mods of the community on FB had this to say in response to a post asking if the game was dead:

Mutiple updates are still planned for all consoles, in the coming weeks and well switch not it hasn't been given up on but we all know the certification times. :(

That said, apologies to anyone else who sees this thread get bumped and immediately hopes for news of a Switch patch. :(

atr0cious

Isn't it bogus that the Swtich cert. times are much longer?
Yup, especially if you look at other games like overcooked getting theirs out before then, while launching the game after playgrounds. Main reason I'm kind of giving up on them, would like the rebound system and more players, but a full featured nba game with it's own version of street ball comes out tonight.

Yup, especially if you look at other games like overcooked getting theirs out before then, while launching the game after playgrounds. Main reason I'm kind of giving up on them, would like the rebound system and more players, but a full featured nba game with it's own version of street ball comes out tonight.
How can you compare different updates with each other???
There are variables.
Not dismissing that Saber and Nintendo have issues with their game but you can't just say because X game's update came out already that Y's game should have.
That doesn't make sense.
We shouldn't have to wait this long though.

I don't know about that. I've been playing simulation basketball since the days of Bulls vs Lakers on Genesis and the presence of an arcade title on the market didn't prevent the enjoyment of both styles on their own merits, speaking for moi of course.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
What poor communication, especially since this game use to constantly be in the top sellers on switch, and now everyone is moving on the 2k18m so they missed their chance either way.

Almost bought this on switch , I am assuming it’s still an unfinished mess ?

Really looking for an arcade bball game, have no interest in nba 2k even if it does look amazing.

AcridMeat

Banned
I don't know about that. I've been playing simulation basketball since the days of Bulls vs Lakers on Genesis and the presence of an arcade title on the market didn't prevent the enjoyment of both styles on their own merits, speaking for moi of course.
I'll say from personal experience, I played Live 18 on PS4 with a buddy who I always have a blast playing basketball games with and we loved Live. We eventually went back to playgrounds and it just wasn't nearly as fun. Way too difficult to deal with trying to rebound, the shot timing is still funky (we were missing wide open dunks even with the bar in the middle of the green).

Sucks I do regret this purchase. Thankfully it was just $20.

bumpkin

Almost bought this on switch , I am assuming it’s still an unfinished mess ?

Really looking for an arcade bball game, have no interest in nba 2k even if it does look amazing.
I don’t think it’s an unfinished mess, but it is behind the PC version in terms of content. I don’t have it on PS4 or XB1 so I can’t speak to where they stand on patches, but I know that PC is the most up-to-date and the Switch is the farthest behind. I enjoy playing the game, it’s far from perfect, but I still think it’s enjoyable.

Someone who moderates the FB community for the game has posted that the game is far from dead and they’re still working on it, but they won’t give an anticipated date for the next patch(es). I don’t blame them, at least from the standpoint of how history has bit them in the ass.

I’m not going to lie though, I stopped playing the game until it does get patched, because I don’t have any desire to waste time getting/leveling players I don’t want.

I'll say from personal experience, I played Live 18 on PS4 with a buddy who I always have a blast playing basketball games with and we loved Live. We eventually went back to playgrounds and it just wasn't nearly as fun. Way too difficult to deal with trying to rebound, the shot timing is still funky (we were missing wide open dunks even with the bar in the middle of the green).

Sucks I do regret this purchase. Thankfully it was just $20.

Those were 'weaknesses' in the game irrespective of NBA live being on the market. If you didn't enjoy that aspect before Live you certainly wouldn't after the fact.

AcridMeat

Banned
Those were 'weaknesses' in the game irrespective of NBA live being on the market. If you didn't enjoy that aspect before Live you certainly wouldn't after the fact.
Not sure how it isn't relevant?

Live being out and fun only points out how glaringly those issues stick out. I was saying that now that I have Live, I don't see myself ever going back to this game.

I gave it a fair shot, played through all of the tournaments the first couple weeks it was out. I thought having the updates since would improve the experience, and it hasn't.

I thought the devs abandoned the game, but I was wrong because there’s a patch 1.4 on Steam. Apparently, they added youtube personality Tmartn, the guy behind the CSGO Lotto fiasco.

More players incoming.
The new content update for NBA Playgrounds is here.

Thanks for continuous feedback and support. You Rock!

See you at the Playgrounds.

New Features:
Added: New players join the roster
The following players were added: Boris Diaw, Dennis Schroder, Artis Gilmore, Bob Lanier, Bobby Jones, Cliff Hagan, Dave Cowens, Dave DeBusschere, Dennis Johnson, Hal Greer, Sam Jones, Sidney Moncrief, Tom Heinsohn, Evan Fournier, Cody Zeller, Wesley Matthews, Kent Bazemore, Ryan Anderson, Amir Johnson, Rodney Hood, Clint Capela, Tobias Harris, Avery Bradley, Thaddeus Young, Marvin Williams, Al-Farouq Aminu, Tim Frazier, Marcin Gortat, Jae Crowder, Sean Kilpatrick, Malcolm Brogdon, Pascal Siakam, Isaiah Whitehead, Andrew Harrison, Willy Hernangomez, Rick Fox, Danny Manning, Cedric Ceballos, Bill Cartwright, Doug Collins, Derrick Coleman, Sam Cassell, Phil Jackson, Jalen Rose and Jamal Mashburn.

The following 15 players can now be played on a second team, in which they played during their career: Jerry Lucas (Cincinnati Royals), Chris Webber (Sacramento Kings), Detlef Schrempf (Seattle Super Sonics), Mugsy Bogues (Washington Bullets), Dikembe Mutombo (Atlanta Hawks), Elvin Hayes (Houston Rockets), Joe Johnson (Atlanta Hawks), Tracy McGrady (Houston Rockets), Larry Johnson (New York Knicks), Larry Nance (Phoenix Suns), Oscar Robertson (Cincinnati Royals), Pete Maravich (Atlanta Hawks), Robert Parish (Boston Celtics), Steve Nash (Dallas Mavericks) and Tiny Archibald (Boston Celtics).

The following 5 Playgrounders join the Playgrounders team: TmarTn2, MaxBlack, Nickthebullsfan, Goodgamebro and KYR SP33DY.

Bugfixes
Fixed: Tournament matches giving less experience than they should both the first time they are completed and when they are replayed (first time gives more).
Fixed: Various localization issues.
Fixed: Some uniforms had inconsistencies.

And also a new DLC called Hot n Frosty. Featuring Lonzo Ball and 7 other rookies, 3 new playgrounds, and 3 new tournaments.

I saw the video on their youtube channel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kn9PSTAGsAo

I thought the devs abandoned the game, but I was wrong because there's a patch 1.4 on Steam. Apparently, they added youtube personality Tmartn, the guy behind the CSGO Lotto fiasco.

And also a new DLC called Hot n Frosty. I saw the video on their youtube channel.

Their abandonment of the Switch is still consistent, though. Neither the paid DLC nor the free update is on the Switch yet. Coming at a "later date."

Edit: Here's the press release:

Independent developer Saber Interactive has released ”Hot N' Frosty," the first paid DLC for NBA Playgrounds. It features three new playgrounds (Rio de Janeiro, Toronto and Miami), each with their own tournament, as well as eight new rookies (Markelle Fultz, Jayson Tatum, Lonzo Ball, Josh Jackson, De'Aaron Fox, Dennis Smith Jr., Jonathan Isaac and Malik Monk).

”Hot N' Frosty" is available now on the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system via the PlayStation®Store, Xbox One through the Xbox Games Store, and Windows PC via Steam for $9.99. It will launch soon after on Nintendo Switch™ through the Nintendo eShop.

Saber has also released the fourth free content update for NBA Playgrounds on the PlayStation®4 system, Xbox One and Windows PC. This latest addition to the game introduces 45 new players (including Phil Jackson, Jamal Mashburn and Jalen Rose), five YouTubers (MaxBlack, NickTheBullsFan, GoodGameBro, TmarTn2 and KYRSP33DY) and second team jerseys for 15 players already in the game (including Steve Nash, Chris Webber and Muggsy Bogues). This free content update will be available on the Nintendo Switch at a later date.

tebunker

Banned
Their abandonment of the Switch is still consistent, though. Neither the paid DLC nor the free update is on the Switch yet. Coming at a "later date."

Edit: Here's the press release:

Well at least it sounds like they haven't fully given up on Switch. I honestly lost interest when I heard they were having issues with Nintendo and it sounded like a giant whine fest.

jmizzal

I thought the devs abandoned the game, but I was wrong because there’s a patch 1.4 on Steam. Apparently, they added youtube personality Tmartn, the guy behind the CSGO Lotto fiasco.

And also a new DLC called Hot n Frosty. Featuring Lonzo Ball and 7 other rookies, 3 new playgrounds, and 3 new tournaments.

I saw the video on their youtube channel.

Switch is still 3 updates behind and yet they are adding youtubers

um ok

bumpkin

Switch is still 3 updates behind and yet they are adding youtubers

um ok
Yeah, pretty bullshit. I've been against YouTube "personalities" being players in the game since it started. I'm okay with the developers being in the game like the NBA Jam games of old, or guest fictional characters like Faith from Mirror's Edge and Isaac from Dead Space in the newer Jam, but seriously, nobody wants to play as these clowns except them and maybe their super fan-boy/girl subscribers. Wasting time and resources on their creation when what's probably one of the better selling SKUs of the game is three updates behind is ridiculous.

Get people on the phone. Fly people out and get them in a room with Nintendo's release engineers. Figure this shit out. Stop making excuses, pointing fingers and hiding behind NDAs. If we had an issue getting a release out the door where I work, nobody would be working on new features, we'd all be focused on getting the product shipped.

jmizzal

Yeah, pretty bullshit. I've been against YouTube "personalities" being players in the game since it started. I'm okay with the developers being in the game like the NBA Jam games of old, or guest fictional characters like Faith from Mirror's Edge and Isaac from Dead Space in the newer Jam, but seriously, nobody wants to play as these clowns except them and maybe their super fan-boy/girl subscribers. Wasting time and resources on their creation when what's probably one of the better selling SKUs of the game is three updates behind is ridiculous.

Get people on the phone. Fly people out and get them in a room with Nintendo's release engineers. Figure this shit out. Stop making excuses, pointing fingers and hiding behind NDAs. If we had an issue getting a release out the door where I work, nobody would be working on new features, we'd all be focused on getting the product shipped.

If the updates are too big for Nintendo update policy, I dont see why they could just release it as free DLC instead that sounds like a good work around.

bumpkin

They claimed on Facebook again that they are working on the Switch updates. Yeah sure.
I’ll believe it when I see “An Update is available for this title” pop up. I still keep checking manually every several days hoping it won’t tell me I have the current version. :(

But I thought the coming patch was already done and it was all due to Nintendo cert? Also they are doing unprecedented things with their patches and everything, lol.

bumpkin

But I thought the coming patch was already done and it was all due to Nintendo cert? Also they are doing unprecedented things with their patches and everything, lol.
Nobody knows the truth.

Honestly, I wonder if they decided to yank the second patch from cert and focus on submitting an all-inclusive update that has patches 2, 3, "Hot Update" and the "Cold and Frosty Update" instead. I mean honestly, that seems like the best plan if the cert takes are really that long (for whatever fucked up reason).

febLey

Not sure where to ask:

I'm interested in picking up an arcady basketball game.
Should I get NBA Playgrounds on the PS4, NBA Jam Fire Edition for the Xbox One (360) or is there another good arcady basketball game?

Not sure where to ask:

I'm interested in picking up an arcady basketball game.
Should I get NBA Playgrounds on the PS4, NBA Jam Fire Edition for the Xbox One (360) or is there another good arcady basketball game?

I'd say get this game, most fun I've had with an arcade basketball game since NBA Street (RIP)

jam OFE if the roster not being super up to date doesn't matter to you. what are you trying to play?

single player i would def go with nba JAM physical for 360, it was a nice gem, the online let you queue into 1v1v1v1 and such which was way better than ofe, but regardless it had a campaign with the beastie boys as bosses and lots of mini games. ofe was really good online but they didn't put much campaign and options effort since it's arcade download. if wanting the current players or to play online playgrounds is a no brainer

Not sure how it isn't relevant?

Live being out and fun only points out how glaringly those issues stick out. I was saying that now that I have Live, I don't see myself ever going back to this game.

I gave it a fair shot, played through all of the tournaments the first couple weeks it was out. I thought having the updates since would improve the experience, and it hasn't.

I don't recall anywhere in my posts claiming it wasn't relevant, or that those aren't legitimate gripes. I had some of the same issues you did. The point I was making is that if you didn't like those particular aspects of the game( the weaknesses you pointed out), I really don't see what that has to do with Live. Asides from being about Basketball, it's a fundamentally different style of game that's not really intended to be comparable in terms of mechanics. Yeah, I disliked the shooting and rebounding mechanics too but that has nothing to do with NBA Live. I would argue NBA Jam on fire edition is more 'fun' than NBA Live or 2k, which also plays completely different than those games, but has tighter mechanics than Playgrounds . That's the logical comparison to be made in my opinion.

febLey

jam OFE if the roster not being super up to date doesn't matter to you. what are you trying to play?

single player i would def go with nba JAM physical for 360, it was a nice gem, the online let you queue into 1v1v1v1 and such which was way better than ofe, but regardless it had a campaign with the beastie boys as bosses and lots of mini games. ofe was really good online but they didn't put much campaign and options effort since it's arcade download. if wanting the current players or to play online playgrounds is a no brainer
I don't care for an up to date roster or online play.
Just want to play some over the top basketball with my buddy on the couch.

I don't care for an up to date roster or online play.
Just want to play some over the top basketball with my buddy on the couch.

OFE has a ton of secret characters that are crazy and it's a lot of fun, they are all great games but for couch beer games i would recommend OFE

febLey

Thank you for your answers so far.
I've got one more question: What't the coop experience in both of these games? Can you play a Story mode together or something like that?

Top Bottom