• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA men's basketball 2011-2012 OT: Lockout edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamblades

On the one hand, Uconn is one of the few teams in the country that match up with UK athletically, on the other hand, the teams that have had success against us have been quality jump shooting teams with big bodies down low to keep us off the glass, I'm not sure that Uconn has the consistent jump shooting to really put up many points on us. Seems to me their offensive strength play right into our defensive strengths.

Iowa state fits the mold of the teams we have struggled against more actually, but I'm not sure they have the athletes to match up effectively at all 5 spots like Uconn does.

NewLib

Banned
We beat both teams, Memphis pretty handily, UCONN blew them out. Because Memphis ran through the C-USA like they always do, they're a threat? Really not impressed with either, the potential is there, but people always make this mistake every year. Then it's always the mid major type team to pull the 8/9 upset and the Texas-esque talented team losing in the first.

Second round upsets over #1's the past 7 years, off the top of my head. Butler over Pitt. Northern Iowa over Kansas. UAB over Kentucky.

See a pattern? These teams never do it, if they did it this year, it would be a first. It's always the senior laden solidly coached teams who have shooters at multiple positions. Sounds like Iowa State, to me. Don't know much about St Louis, but I'm guessing they have a little something as well in that manner.

I dont know if we are necessarily disagreeing as I agree Iowa State and St Louis are more in the mold of an upset team.

Maybe I am overrating Memphis. I dont know. I just like what Ive seen from them.

Edit: I like how South Florida is up 13 and I still think they will probably lose. Their offense just is required to have a 6-8 minute stretch where they dont score a field goal.

Been looking at my bracket for 3 days now, and hate it more every time I look at it. I'm usually much more confident in my picks, this is the first year I can remember at really being lost for clear cut 4 teams.

And this is why Colorado should have been the only team from the PAC-12 to make the tourney. The whole league sucks. Can't believe some people are actually picking Colorado in their game. They suck too.

dmag1223

How is Cal in the tournament again? I feel bad for fans of teams like Marshall and Seton Hall. Hell even Northwestern beat somebody throughout the year.

Edit: Arizona losing at home to Bucknell. Lol.

Kevtones

Whatever bros, Pac 12 is still 4-2 in the post-season.

COLORADO TO THE FINAL FOUR

Also, thank god for both teams in play-in games counting as the same team in brackets.

Seth C

Sooo UK fans... how do you feel about a potential matchup with Connecticut? Strange to see basically no analysts with UConn in the sweet 16 but I think it's a real possibility.

With all the talent we have I'm surprised we were put in the same draw as the #1 overall seed, even if we have criminally underachieved. Calhoun knows how to prepare his team for this tournament.

You couldn't manage to knock off Louisville just a few days ago. You barely beat a MUCH worse team last year when you had Kemba. We are playing 70 miles from home. It will be a home game for us. I'm tempted to say if you win I'll suck your cock. I'm not quite that confident, but close.

Pollux

Murray State tips off first at 12:15 EST tomorrow...I'm so excited!

I was going to go do some review for school...but your right...fuck it. it's the start of a national holiday (at least for Kentucky fans...we take this shit seriously) I'll be at the bar by noon.

I was going to go do some review for school...but your right...fuck it. it's the start of a national holiday (at least for Kentucky fans...we take this shit seriously) I'll be at the bar by noon.

That's the spirit! I'll be starting around 4PM over here at Ohio State. We've got 2 kegs and a projector, should be interesting.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Finished my gaf bracket. It's my official 'fuck around' bracket. I'll probably win the $5M perfect challenge with it.

it's the start of a national holiday (at least for Kentucky fans...we take this shit seriously) I'll be at the bar by noon.
yeah, nobody else gets excited about March Madness.

I usually hold my tongue on the bandwagon shenanigans, but it wasn't even 5 years ago that such "devout Kentucky fans" were MIA, and now you guys talk like nobody was ever a fan of any team before.

You all now "know sports better" and apparently support the only competitive team in the tourney and shit.

The expectations and setting the bar so high, it's just gonna make the deflation more painful.

Seth C

yeah, nobody else gets excited about March Madness.

I usually hold my tongue on the bandwagon shenanigans, but it wasn't even 5 years ago that such "devout Kentucky fans" were MIA, and now you guys talk like nobody was ever a fan of any team before.

You all now "know sports better" and apparently support the only competitive team in the tourney and shit.

The expectations and setting the bar so high, it's just gonna make the deflation more painful.

Please. I was here supporting Kentucky since, well, you may have still been drinking out of a sippy cup.

mbmonk

My crappy bracket is..
Final Four:
UK vs Missouri
UNC vs FSU

UK vs UNC in the final with UK winning. My heart says UK, but my head says UNC. I keep waiting for UNC to wake and play to their potential.

I especially love the first two days of the tourney. So many upsets and exciting games, and then it only gets better from there :)

Contrary to the rest of GAF it seems...I like my picks. Only have like 4-5 major upsets throughout the tournament which is down from every other bracket I've had in the past so I'm expecting to do better in the GAF league and improve upon my usual finishing place around 20-30. Top 10 this year!!!

mbmonk

Anyone have any creative ways to get around the an anti-sports web filter at work to watch/listen to today's games?

If they are blocking it at the DNS level you could try to specify the address of another DNS server that allows sports websites.

Google has a free DNS server you can use http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

This may not work for enterprise/corporate level networks.

Doing this might break access to internal network resources; though I am not sure why that is the case. Maybe you can post a screen shot of the message you get when you try to access a sports site.

jjasper

How did the Pac 12 get so bad so fast? Can I just blame it on Ben Howland?

Also my FF picks:
Tennessee
Oregon
Drexel
Nevada

bluehat9

Finally submitted my bracket. Almost took Florida over Missouri and running to the Final Four, but couldn't do it in the end. Would've had 3 SEC teams in the FF, lol...maybe I should just switch my champ to vandy. If they win, I win.

Meier

It's weird seeing a number of Experts put FSU in the Final Four. Surreal really. I've got us losing to Kentucky in the championship.. yes I'm a homer. I think we have a pretty good draw though and would be very surprised if we didn't get back to the Sweet 16 again this year. I think Elite 8 is a pretty safe bet as a minimum.

If they are blocking it at the DNS level you could try to specify the address of another DNS server that allows sports websites.

Google has a free DNS server you can use http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

This may not work for enterprise/corporate level networks.

Doing this might break access to internal network resources; though I am not sure why that is the case. Maybe you can post a screen shot of the message you get when you try to access a sports site.

Here's what I get when I try to go to NCAA.com.

FMlGD.jpg

Since I haven't posted any predictions yet, here we go.

My main bracket:

Final Four:
UK vs. Mizzou
UNC vs. Syracuse

NC Game:
UK beating Carolina

I do have a homer bracket with Duke beating Carolina in the National Championship game, a man can dream right?

UNC UK OSU Mizzou.

As much as I hated doing it I had UNC and UK with UK winning it all.

Also I got X over dook, KSU over Cuse and wiscy in the elite 8. I took Baylor further than I wanted but they got favorable matchups in my bracket.

Ill say it again, I hate my bracket. It will either make me look like the smartest guy ever, or the dumbest person ever.

eznark

Banned
UNC UK OSU Mizzou.

As much as I hated doing it I had UNC and UK with UK winning it all.

Also I got X over dook, KSU over Cuse and wiscy in the elite 8. I took Baylor further than I wanted but they got favorable matchups in my bracket.

Ill say it again, I hate my bracket. It will either make me look like the smartest guy ever, or the dumbest person ever.

Looks homerish. Ohio St. has looked like abject garbage for a month.

eznark

Banned
Tournament starts. Diablo III gets a release date.

Amazing day.

Too much faith in Perry Jones have you.

No faith, I just want to win so I picked the most likely unlikely.

Plus, the audacity of a team that is best known for one guy murdering another guy in the woods wearing hunter camo is too fantastic for me to ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom