• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA men's basketball 2011-2012 OT: Lockout edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please. I was here supporting Kentucky since, well, you may have still been drinking out of a sippy cup.
Where were UK fans missing from? Where were they supposed to be? Neogaf OT threads?
It's reflective of the fanbase as a whole. I am not implying that specific posters are bandwagoners, but I am singling out the condescension in zmoney's post, because it's hilarious.

More than half of the current fanbase did not give a shit about the team a few years ago, so insinuations that only Kentucky fans take March Madness seriously is comedy to me.

March Madness is a fervor whose peak is not limited to one team, I can assure you.

Looks homerish. Ohio St. has looked like abject garbage for a month.

They got favorable matchups in my bracket. It's all about matchups, if they get diff matchups in the bracket then I have I could see them losing. Although they did start to come together a lot better the last few games of the season and the ncaa tourney.

It also depends if TV teddy and hightower want to ref our games or not too.

Kentucky
Michigan State
Florida State
UNC

Boring, I know. I have Cuse bowing out early.

I had UNC winning it all... but for some reason I've suddenly got the feeling they are going to eat it early. Still, I believe in the one bracket of honor system. I stand by my pick.

Talon

I had UNC winning it all... but for some reason I've suddenly got the feeling they are going to eat it early. Still, I believe in the one bracket of honor system. I stand by my pick.
As a UNC fan, I feel them falling to Kansas. Just don't see the toughness in this team.

But I also see Tyshawn Taylor fucking up and Withey shrinking in the spotlight through the patented Bill Self March Disappointment system.

Just couldn't make that pick there. UNC and Kentucky are the two best starting 5 teams in the country, still, and I just see that rematch happening.

As a UNC fan, I feel them falling to Kansas. Just don't see the toughness in this team.

But I also see Tyshawn Taylor fucking up and Withey shrinking in the spotlight through the patented Bill Self March Disappointment system.

You know what my gut is telling me? Michigan State. If only because it seems to be never who you expect anymore.

mbmonk

Here's what I get when I try to go to NCAA.com

My work uses the same method to filter websites. What Operating system are you running? And do you have administrative rights to the computer? By that I mean can you install programs & printers w/o having to call the IT department?

Bowser

Just couldn't make that pick there. UNC and Kentucky are the two best starting 5 teams in the country, still, and I just see that rematch happening.

Hate this line of reasoning. The whole season was slogfest to get to exactly this point. Remember when people were wondering how the '08-'09 team could start 0-2 in the ACC?

I'm not saying we're guaranteed to win the title, I'm just saying things like "lack of toughness" and "lack of intensity" is dumb. That won't be why we lose, if we lose.

Talon

You know what my gut is telling me? Michigan State. If only because it seems to be never who you expect anymore.
Can't go wrong with Tom Izzo.

I can be convinced that any of these 1 or 2 seeds can win it all. I just see a significant size disadvantage against Kentucky that holds me back. Just don't see Draymond Green getting his shot off, and I don't know if these guards can provide the scoring load in that situation to keep up.

Talon

Hate this line of reasoning. The whole season was slogfest to get to exactly this point. Remember when people were wondering how the '08-'09 team could start 0-2 in the ACC?

I'm not saying we're guaranteed to win the title, I'm just saying things like "lack of toughness" and "lack of intensity" is dumb. That won't be why we lose, if we lose.
The season was a slog, sure. There was always a guy to pick up the team when they were slagging on offense back in '08-'09. Tyshawn would go coast to coast. Hansbrough would get a tough board. Green would come in and provide an injection of scoring. I took as a given that the '08-'09 team would take the title with the combination of experience and depth.

With this team, it just feels like we rely too much on Zeller scoring easily down low when the ball isn't moving. Harrison's clearly the best player, but I wish he'd break down his man more consistently. In reality, I've seen him nail too many clutch threes to worry about that, but the tournament's just taught me to be wary.

mbmonk

It's reflective of the fanbase as a whole. I am not implying that specific posters are bandwagoners, but I am singling out the condescension in zmoney's post, because it's hilarious.

More than half of the current fanbase did not give a shit about the team a few years ago, so insinuations that only Kentucky fans take March Madness seriously is comedy to me.

March Madness is a fervor whose peak is not limited to one team, I can assure you.

While I understand your general theme, the comment I bolded is hyperbole. UK has led the nation in attendance every year, from my limited research, over the exact 4 year period you specified ( 2007 - 2011). So to say half the fan base didn't care about the team 5 years ago is a bit of a stretch. And while the preceding stat doesn't exactly refute your claim it's more factual than anything you have brought forth so far.

Kentucky fans were very active and vocal during the end of Tubby's tenure and were equally so in the Gillespie years.

Fan bases do swell for any given team when they start winning (see the Patriots, Colts, Heat, etc.) but UK has always had a huge fan base that is very loyal. They are known as one of the best 'traveling' fan bases in the nation before Cal arrived as well.

I would welcome any factual evidence you could bring forth to support your claim.

Can't go wrong with Tom Izzo.

I can be convinced that any of these 1 or 2 seeds can win it all. I just see a significant size disadvantage against Kentucky that holds me back. Just don't see Draymond Green getting his shot off, and I don't know if these guards can provide the scoring load in that situation to keep up.

UK's failure to win even the weak SEC has shaken my faith a bit. How literally everyone at ESPN can pick them as a Final Four team is beyond me. I wish we had a second year with these guys, could you imagine?

Talon

UK's failure to win even the weak SEC has shaken my faith a bit. How everyone at ESPN can pick them as a Final Four team so completely has beyond me. I wish we had a second year with these guys, could you imagine?
I think every non-Kentucky fan is thrilled that they won't.

My work uses the same method to filter websites. What Operating system are you running? And do you have administrative rights to the computer? By that I mean can you install programs & printers w/o having to call the IT department?

Actually, I found this, and it's not blocked, so I think I'm good to go.

Thanks anyway, though!

Also, I noticed in the tourney Anthony Davis was focused on trying to get as many blocks as possible instead of playing actual defense. He left his feet so many times when he didn't need to do so. If Cal can get him focused on playing unselfishly, they will be a tough team to beat.

Pollux

Came to respond to the UL fan...turns out I don't have to.

And there was no condescension in my post...I'm just pointing out that actual, loyal UK fans really take March Madness seriously. Maybe no more than other fans, but I can only speak for myself. I take March Madness seriously.

Fjordson

Sooo UK fans... how do you feel about a potential matchup with Connecticut? Strange to see basically no analysts with UConn in the sweet 16 but I think it's a real possibility.

With all the talent we have I'm surprised we were put in the same draw as the #1 overall seed, even if we have criminally underachieved. Calhoun knows how to prepare his team for this tournament.
Certainly possible, but isn't that game in Louisville? Basically at home for UK.

Still, won't be easy against either team.

UK's failure to win even the weak SEC has shaken my faith a bit. How literally everyone at ESPN can pick them as a Final Four team is beyond me. I wish we had a second year with these guys, could you imagine?

Did you watch UK at all this season? They are clearly the best team in the country and have the talent to back it up. The only real knock against them is their inexperience. Michigan State was the only number 1 seed to win their conference tourney.

Wow, Murray State looks sloppy as shit.
While I understand your general theme, the comment I bolded is hyperbole. UK has led the nation in attendance every year, from my limited research, over the exact 4 year period you specified ( 2007 - 2011). So to say half the fan base didn't care about the team 5 years ago is a bit of a stretch. And while the preceding stat doesn't exactly refute your claim it's more factual than anything you have brought forth so far.

Kentucky fans were very active and vocal during the end of Tubby's tenure and were equally so in the Gillespie years.

Fan bases do swell for any given team when they start winning (see the Patriots, Colts, Heat, etc.) but UK has always had a huge fan base that is very loyal. They are known as one of the best 'traveling' fan bases in the nation before Cal arrived as well.

I would welcome any factual evidence you could bring forth to support your claim.
Having the actual numbers would be impossible, its mostly anecdotal. I do concede your point about Kentucky topping the attendance figures.

I also realize that most of my frustration is with the bandwagon fans in Louisville...the ones who like whoever's winning the most at the time, I guess. That and the Courier Journal can suck a dick.

Pollux

Wow, Murray State looks sloppy as shit.Having the actual numbers would be impossible, its mostly anecdotal. I do concede your point about Kentucky topping the attendance figures.

I also realize that most of my frustration is with the bandwagon fans in Louisville...the ones who like whoever's winning the most at the time, I guess. That and the Courier Journal can suck a dick.

I would agree. You can't be a fan of both teams. It's Blue or Red. Not both.

Not worth it on Android. Even though the app probably uses nothing special in the way of protocols or standards, the amazing app developers at the NCAA are only allowing the app on like 10-15 Android devices.

Fucking hate it when developers make shit decisions like that. Zero technical reason to do that at all. Good thing I didn't pay for anything.

Bowser

Not worth it on Android. Even though the app probably uses nothing special in the way of protocols or standards, the amazing app developers at the NCAA are only allowing the app on like 10-15 Android devices.

Fucking hate it when developers make shit decisions like that. Zero technical reason to do that at all. Good thing I didn't pay for anything.

You should just buy an iPhone *trollface*

Bowser

I had an iPhone 3G as my first smartphone. It was good, but I just liked Android better once I got a Nexus One.

Meh, all of my friends have Android devices (Evo, Galaxy S, etc.) and like to customize it by flashing the ROM, etc. Me? I just like having everything done for me lol. I'm also admittedly an Apple whore (had the first iPhone, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, got a Macbook Air last year and have the new iPad coming tomorrow :p).

Talon

Dat fragmentation

Dat fragmentation
That's on the developer for specifying devices. They're not allowing it to run on certain devices even though the OS requirement - which is the massively adopted 2.2 and above is the OS being supported.

That's on shit-tier developers in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom