• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

near (Vita App) | Scanning local Vita chums for all dat Game Goods

Sintoid

I read somewhere that I can register my Android 3G phone's IP on Skyhook and then use tethering with Vita and Near, is that true? Can someone explain me the procedure?

Bullza2o

As I understand...

1. 29 people topping the chart refers to the number of people who played the "charted" game in the Near notification. I don't know how far back this number is collected (since launched/released in your area ?)

2. 12 people on the radar means those 12 dudes/dudettes were in your vicinity during the past few days. For the named users, you should be able to see their last "Near" time if you click on their profile.

3. 1 person encountered means you have "met" one of those 12 folks. You were close to each other, and probably contacted the Near server within certain time limit.
Alright thanks. So you have to open up Near and update it at the same time as others to "encounter" them? Because I have like 5 within 0.2 miles from me, and I encountered only 1. And I haven't seen his icon recently..

patsu

I read somewhere that I can register my Android 3G phone's IP on Skyhook and then use tethering with Vita and Near, is that true? Can someone explain me the procedure?

Not really a good idea because your phone will move together with you. SkyHook may think you're always at home. Or it will need to do extra work trying to reconcile nearby WiFi hotspots' location vs your Android phone's fake/mobile location.

patsu

Alright thanks. So you have to open up Near and update it at the same time as others to "encounter" them? Because I have like 5 within 0.2 miles from me, and I encountered only 1. And I haven't seen his icon recently..

That's my reasoning, yes.

But you don't really need to open up Near to update your location. If auto-location update is enabled, Vita will do so behind the scene.

Bullza2o

That's my reasoning, yes.

But you don't really need to open up Near to update your location. If auto-location update is enabled, Vita will do so behind the scene.
I have auto-locate enabled, but it never seems to give me notifications about Near unless I manually update it.
I have a WiFi Vita.

DBT85

I have auto-locate enabled, but it never seems to give me notifications about Near unless I manually update it.
I have a WiFi Vita.

Near only checks in with the server once every 24 hours. It's only then that you'll get any notifications.

gkryhewy

Another day carrying my vita with me, another "0 miles" under discoveries. I manually clicked the little near icon in the live area at lunch, and it looked like it updated, but I guess not. Kinda wish this thing just had something like streetpass.

Near only checks in with the server once every 24 hours. It's only then that you'll get any notifications.

I thought it was supposed to check in every 30 minutes to an hour?

Toki767

Another day carrying my vita with me, another "0 miles" under discoveries. Kinda wish this thing just had something like streetpass.

I thought it was supposed to check in every 30 minutes to an hour?

It keeps track of where you are, but it only sends it to the server once a day unless you do it manually.

Corto

How can I broadcast my gifts on SuperStardust Delta? Is it a passive/automatic process? I can't find a setting to do it manually on the game menus.

I remember when johntv was talking about near on the 8-4 podcast and how he didn't understand it. What it really is, what it is doing, what he is supposed to do etc. And I thought "What a dummy! How complicated can this thing possibly be?". At that point I didn't have a Vita.
Today I got my Vita, I tried near and, well, I don't get it. Haha. It's really not very self-explanatory and intuitive.

I remember when johntv was talking about near on the 8-4 podcast and how he didn't understand it. What it really is, what it is doing, what he is supposed to do etc. And I thought "What a dummy! How complicated can this thing possibly be?". At that point I didn't have a Vita.
Today I got my Vita, I tried near and, well, I don't get it. Haha. It's really not very self-explanatory and intuitive.

It's not that intiutive but use the question mark on the lower right hand to find out what each field means within near.

Barrett2

I brought my Vita to the office for the first time. I didn't know it logged how far you traveled.

Vita is a huge flop in Morristown, NJ. Only 10 people playing nearby.

gkryhewy

I brought my Vita to the office for the first time. I didn't know it logged how far you traveled.

Vita is a huge flop in Morristown, NJ. Only 10 people playing nearby.

Did you have to connect to a wifi hotspot on your work end in order for it to track your distance?

On the discoveries page, where does it get the "People" list? Right now it is showing 10, but I have seen way more than that. Is it more like a StreetPass thing on 3DS, like that number is the number of people you have been in WiFi range?

Shiv47

Yeah, I've never gotten everything on near working on my Vita. I've tried checking and unchecking stuff, reset the system, and so on. It connects to my position and then errors out on the next step. I was somehow able to connect the gifts thing one time, but never since. Kinda given up on it.

I can't get Near to work properly. It keeps telling me "Couldn't update your location information" or something like that. I have a Wi-Fi Vita.

I'm in the same boat. I updated the Skyhook information with the router MAC address and my location is now accurate, but I can't seem to update my location anymore. Been like this since my location changed.

Every single time I update it tells me that it can't update my information. Really starting to get on my nerves. I like Near, but this is frustrating. I've tried formatting, resetting, and everything to fix it, but nothing.

Ah well... I'll keep at it, but I've been at it for days. Hopefully it starts working.

MrPliskin

Banned
Man, I really hope more developers start stealth updating goods to near. I rarely get anything from anyone, and I've encountered over 30 people or so.

Famassu

17 people playing nearby (within a ~3km radius), more than I thought would be. Maybe I should check out the area nearby the local University, there are sure to be other geeks there too.

It seems like the "People playing nearby" number is cumulative with each update, no? At first I had five people around me, which seemed reasonable enough. Later that day it was at 15 and this morning I'm at 22.

DBT85

It seems like the "People playing nearby" number is cumulative with each update, no? At first I had five people around me, which seemed reasonable enough. Later that day it was at 15 and this morning I'm at 22.

It seems to register anyone that was in that area in the last 7 days from what I could see. So it's likely that the number will go up at first as you encounter more people and then only go up as normal.

Mine goes up and down all over the place depending on where I am.

Liamario

Banned
I tethered my iphone up with the vita and it still couldn't get my location. Skyhook covers my area.
I think this is a firmware issue.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Yes, that does seem to be the case. I brought it up the week of FEB launch and I noticed it grow more yesterday. I would rather it do that though as it gives me a wider area for rewards instead of just pinging the 10-20 people in my little FL town.

U2NUMB

So how do you get this thing to work again. Has not worked for me since Feb 26th. 3G version here... fails to send or get data every single time now.

Yjynx

Originally Posted by BuRnInGJoNaThAn
I had issues recently everytime i tried to check in to near. I guess I corrupted some data. However I did something and it worked well again.

Backup data to PS3/PC
switch off vita
remove memory card.
restore vita to factory setting.
restore vita from backup from PC/PS3
near works for me

might or might not work.

Shadow780

What does this orange glow around the player mean?

PXSix.jpg

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I keep receiving tons of Super Stardust Game Gifts. An annoying amount.

Same, I'm way up on the leaderboards for received gifts, hahahaha.

Every time I check near, it tells me that 60+ people are in my area. Is that a lot?

Depends, do you live in GDC or do you live on some country road in the middle of nowhere? ;)

It's telling you there have been 60 people in the last 7 days. Doesn't mean they're all there now.

I got some questions. On my Discoveries, I've received all the gifts I can but I still have a little red circle with a number in. two weeks ago it always stayed at 3, then 8, now it's 12 and I can't see anymore stuff to get. Are some of these manual finds, IE: Click on someones avatar to see what they've been playing?

Also, what's the difference between black feet and white feet next to the Discoveries List?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
They're only keys/unlocks, all the stuff is in the game except for stuff like ghost data for racing games I suppose, but then I haven't found out how to use the ones in WipEout yet and no one on my friends list has Ridge Racer. Looks like I'm the only sucker who bought that hahahaha.

androvsky

Not really a good idea because your phone will move together with you. SkyHook may think you're always at home. Or it will need to do extra work trying to reconcile nearby WiFi hotspots' location vs your Android phone's fake/mobile location.
I've done that with my wifi Vita and 4g Android phone, didn't have any real problem. I don't think Skyhook has any way of knowing where your Android phone is, it's just another wifi AP that it probably doesn't have in the database. In areas where there's other wifi APs, it figures out the location just fine, and if there's no other wifi around (rural Kansas), then it can't figure out where I am.

I tethered my iphone up with the vita and it still couldn't get my location. Skyhook covers my area.
I think this is a firmware issue.
I think you need to be in range of a different wifi AP when you do it. Or you could try adding your iPhone to Skyhook's database.

I've been thinking about telling Skyhook my Android phone is in Akihabara or something... :)

still pissed my near not working properly... I heard about reformatting but that it goes back to not working again at some point >_<

fixes? please help GAF?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm not sure what happened over the past few days but Near has started reporting very realistic numbers all of a sudden: Just 60% of the previous numbers, and it goes up and down depending on the time of day. A couple of weeks ago the numbers in every scan were rising at constant rate (+5 users every time).

kanugo

Hi there, GAF.

I bought a PSVita yesterday and I have a problem with near.

When I click on "Out and About", I receive this message: "The use of location data is not allowed due to parents controls".

Can you guys help me?
Thanks.

I'm not sure what happened over the past few days but Near has started reporting very realistic numbers all of a sudden: Just 60% of the previous numbers, and it goes up and down depending on the time of day. A couple of weeks ago the numbers in every scan were rising at constant rate (+5 users every time).

I noticed the same thing, down from around 90 to around 55. Pinball Dreams is surprisingly high in my near game ranking list, maybe because it was on sale some time ago.

Hi there, GAF.

I bought a PSVita yesterday and I have a problem with near.

When I click on "Out and About", I receive this message: "The use of location data is not allowed due to parents controls".

Can you guys help me?
Thanks.

have you tried turning off the parental controls?

Top Bottom