• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed Most Wanted U |OT| Burned out, Upshift

ozfunghi

I'm enjoying the game and it looks great but the framerate is terrible at the start of/during some races. Was not expecting that.

whatchu-talkin-bout-willis-o.gif

I need help.

Is it possible to evade the police in this game by parking into warehouses and in dark alleys, without having to hit the paint garages? I swear I can't shake these guys even when I escape that circle of detection; they hone in on my exact location even when I'm off the grid.

Yes, but remember to switch off the engine when you do.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
That actually makes a lot of sense. It would probably seem kind of strange to have both on the same stick when there's no manual transmission in the game.
I tried that last night but could not get it work satisfactory. The steering is just too insensitive for my taste, and one of the secondary functions (cam, radio, horn) still collided with a primary function, so I reverted to the standard scheme.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I actually enjoy more the motion steering, but I find the wiimote (with wheel) to be better than the gamepad in this game.

Finally had a couple of hours to sit down with this game last night. It's great. It took a while for me to get used to the handling but I was eventually able to beat that Venom challenge and unlock a few upgrades. I also love just driving around town and hassling police officers. The game looks really good, a few frame drops here and there but nothing major. No crashes yet either. I really wish it had a better soundtrack though, or more soundtrack customization options. I have to skip over half the songs in the game -- when the dubstep tracks are the highlight something has gone wrong IMO.

Also, my kingdom for some analog triggers. Sure, mostly it's full throttle in this game but there's an element of fine control missing without them. If Nintendo released an circle pad add-on for 3DS I don't see why they can't issue another pro controller with analog triggers. Call it a racing controller or something.

Just beat a GAFer's (Blu) Sprint Eastward race record last night. Felt good to finally beat one of the autolog challenges.

Sprint Eastward is a tricky course, especially early when you have to make that hard left after cutting the corner through those steel beams.

blu

Just beat a GAFer's (Blu) Sprint Eastward race record last night. Felt good to finally beat one of the autolog challenges.

Sprint Eastward is a tricky course, especially early when you have to make that hard left after cutting the corner through those steel beams.
Nooo, my Sprint Eastward record!...

*squints*

Ok, it's on, Horror.

mojo2

Neo Member
Did I miss the demo in NA? I have been out of the country and would like to try the game, but I didn't see the demo in the eShop today.

Looks like a really great version of the game.

There is no demo for some reason. Really sucks. I just want to try that steering before buying.

japtor

Is there a spreadsheet of names of everyone playing or is everyone just going through the thread to add people? And does anyone know if friend requesting through Autolog recommendations does it through Miiverse as well?

3 of 4 warp pipes found.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/26/41...-wanted-easter-eggs-reveal-super-mario-styled

There should be a pokemon themed car left (yellow pikachu?). I've been looking around the south for the last pipe. Nothin' so far.

there is no 4th Pipe

Pokemon is the Catch em All plate

There is no demo for some reason. Really sucks. I just want to try that steering before buying.

trust me you won't buy it if you try it because you will suck and crash a lot
this game takes some hours before you get the hang of how a car controls and as you add mods it gets easier

doubt the Demo will help sales unless the car featured is fully modded and the easiest to control

JCH!

I need more friends! I've been adding people but I'm still around 2 million SP ahead of the second best :p My NNID is Brithor is anyone's interested :D

What are your Sprint Eastward times?

impirius

Bah, I haven't had this many crashes since New Vegas on PS3. It'll be nice when the first title update comes out!

The pipes are a great touch; I appreciate the effort that went into this port.

DJ88

How's the online community on the Wii U? I really want to get this game but only for the online modes. Is there a healthy amount of players online at all times? Large rooms? Or are you sitting on a "searching for players" screen all the time?

How's the online community on the Wii U? I really want to get this game but only for the online modes. Is there a healthy amount of players online at all times? Large rooms? Or are you sitting on a "searching for players" screen all the time?
I've only tried online twice. I didn't have to wait either time though.

gamingeek

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-need-for-speed-most-wanted-wii-u-face-off

Face off summary

By no means a straight port, the boat is being pushed out much further this time with its suite of unique GamePad features, improved PC-grade textures courtesy of the console's 1GB of RAM, and a greatly revamped approach to its night-time lighting.

Looking to the promised texture bump, a clear upgrade is in effect which gives us crisper-looking concrete roads, tyre patterns, hubcap designs and building fronts. These end up matching the sharpness of the PC version's higher settings, leaving the PS3 and 360 looking a tad smudged by comparison - especially during the cinematic sequences that roll before each race. However, the bump is only made to specific areas.

Reflection-mapping also benefits from an upgrade to a similar midway degree on Wii U, particularly where puddles are strewn across busy urban streets. Once again, only certain buildings are reflected on 360 and PS3 - the side effect being that floors appear brighter as a result of a more of the sky being revealed. On the other hand, the Wii U has more in common with PC by mirroring most geometry at a distance, which creates a darker and more natural look to glistening road surfaces. Again, the draw distance on these reflections doesn't quite extend as far as a high-end PC can, but it's an improvement over the other home consoles nevertheless.

Criterion Games makes a big point of showing off its revamped night-time lighting - once dusk hits it's clear the world is engulfed in a more intense pitch of black - a move that accentuates the glow from particle lighting, coloured sign-posts and street-lamps. The contrasts are more stark now, but the lighting ultimately sits better with the environment. However, the upshot is that streets now appear less saturated in colour, which puts an emphasis on using a car's headlights to navigate poorly-lit roads.

Elsewhere, the tweaks are either less obvious or non-existent. The Wii U puts out an equivalent quality of motion blur, particle effects and alpha to the PS3 and 360 versions. Car shadows still look blocky from afar, and smoke from screeching tyres continues to bring out a heavy sawtooth effect across surrounding geometry.

It's clear the Wii U version makes good on that promised 30FPS. Very good, in fact - rather than being bogged down by the extras, we're instead seeing a frame-rate that sticks to its target more diligently than either the PS3 or 360 versions.

Touching on loading times, the Wii U delivers a solid turnaround which holds up to the 360 version when installed to HDD

awesome for the people that can buy it on Wii-U.

i'm not double dipping though because there are an eqal amount of jaggies. They bugged me the most in the ps3 version.

But buy it WiiU people, it's a great game.

SmokeMaxX

i sense another next-gen/not next-gen war thread highjack in the near future.

Most people still believe that the WiiU lags behind the 360/PS3. Older faceoffs continued to give that impression. Might as well have a faceoff that paints the WiiU in a good light. "Next gen" arguments are stupid anyway. We don't even know what next-gen will really look aside from tech demos and what's claimed to be in-game footage.

stanley1993

Neo Member
the game quality is probably reflective of the amount of time they've spent. The face off was fair but where are the night time comparisons? All in all, all versions look the same. including pc.

EDarkness

I think one of you should make the thread. Would be good to get some positive and legitimate Wii U news flowing among the mass of terrible news.

I'm sure nothing positive will come from the thread, so I'm not doing it. I agree with Effect on this one. Just enjoy the game and leave it at that.

Most people still believe that the WiiU lags behind the 360/PS3. Older faceoffs continued to give that impression. Might as well have a faceoff that paints the WiiU in a good light. "Next gen" arguments are stupid anyway. We don't even know what next-gen will really look aside from tech demos and what's claimed to be in-game footage.

"YOU MEAN TO TELL ME A NEW CONSOLE OUTPERFORMS 7 YEAR OLD HARDWARE?? SHOCKING NEWS!!"

Sad that people are afraid to make threads out of fear of trolls. Very sad for this forum.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't think it's fair to keep it here only. All the bad news get a thread. Even if the thread will turn to garbage at list it will make people who were using DF as a bible to deny their gods. :D

gamingeek

I think one of you should make the thread. Would be good to get some positive and legitimate Wii U news flowing among the mass of terrible news.

Well the articles comments section descended into shit so I wouldn't expect anything good out of a GAF thread either.

EDarkness

Well the articles comments section descended into shit so I wouldn't expect anything good out of a GAF thread either.

I noticed this, too. It's pretty amazing stuff when you thinking about it. But still not worth the trouble, because it won't be any better on this site.

blu

Yep. Well, you can't drive them at all until you beat them in the Most Wanted races. I had to get good enough to get the Aventador. Heh, heh. Man, I love that car.
You can also get a car if you beat your friend's record made with this car. That's how I got my Aventador, IIRC.

Top Bottom