• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed Most Wanted U |OT| Burned out, Upshift

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
This thread is dedicated to Need For Speed Most Wanted U. For the original OT for the version of the game that came out earlier on other platforms, check out Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

So, who are Criterion Games and what is their contribution to society?

Criterion started out in the early '90s as a middleware provider, not unlike id or Epic. Criterion's tech was not focused on corridor shooters though. Criterion's engine, called RenderWare, was one of the earliest commercially license-able 3D engines out there, before there were GPUs per se. Among other things, it did physics. I still remember running some of their early tech demos. Regardless, just like other middleware providers worth their salt, Criterion were aware that the best showcase of their middleware would be if they released their own games using their own tools. Or as people say, 'let them eat their own dog food'. And boy, eat it Criterion did! In 2001, Criterion released Burnout and changed the landscape of arcade racers forever. Which, in retrospect, should not have been unexpected considering they're Brits. What made Burnout so special? Well, aside from the fact it was a better NFS than NFS itself, Burnout did crashes like nobody's business (something which I again attribute to that British heritage - left is right and right is wrong).

Fast forward to present days, when Criterion Games (that part of the studio which span off for the production of Burnout) is owned by EA, who have tasked the crafty Brits with the making of NFS. But is Burnout gone? Nope! Another installment will come. Hopefully. One day. To a console near you. In the meantime..

MydvRIa.png

Platform: Wii U
Availability:
  • 19 March 2013 (NA), boxed & eShop, $60, eShop demo (?)
  • 20 March 2013 (JP), boxed & eShop, ¥6,615, eShop demo (?)
  • 22 March 2013 (EU), boxed & eShop, €60/£45, eShop demo (?)

Features at a glance:
  • Everything the original NFSMW had, plus..
  • Off-screen play
  • Controls via GamePad (sticks or gyro, fully customizable), Wiimote (nunchuk, d-pad or motion), Controller Pro (sticks)
  • Co-driver mode where a second player can assist the driver with different game quirks and driving controls ("father and son" mode)
  • Full support of Miiverse & Autolog
  • 6-player online multiplayer, voice chat
  • Improved texture assets (same as in the PC version), improved night lighting
  • Ultimate Speed Pack DLC included

Reviews:

Gameinformer: 8.5
IGN: 9.0
Destructoid
Digital Foundry Face-off among the three console versions

Media:

Alex Ward's gamespot interview about the game
Another interview, this time with gamesradar
Cool teaser with some good sound mixing (not WiiU-specific)

(for non-WiiU-specific media check the original OT)

Gaffers' testimonials:

"One huge city with surroundings free to explore. You unlock missions as you go. Races, takedowns, stunts, escapes from the police...you name it. Or you can just cruise around doing insane jumps and smashing trough gates or billboards. Those letter two are a kind of collectible. It's a pretty huge playground and everything is open for you. The online is working pretty much the same way. I paired up with a guy earlier today and the game kept throwing challenges at us. After a couple races and a drifting-contest I opted out. Overall, I'm having a blast with the game. Moreso than I've ever had with a NFS."
-- hamzik

"Having played the 360 version extensively, this is, without question, the definitive console version. Better textures and a rock solid frame rate to boot. To be honest the only thing that I didn't like about the 360 version was the inconsistent frame rate. I'm absolutely loving this! Criterion rocks!"
-- CloakedPuppet

Off-screen shots, courtesy of hamzik
And some more, courtesy of Boards of Canada
HDMI-grabbed footage of the first couple of minutes, courtesy of dahuman

Most Wanted NNIDs, courtesy of Soka
Google docs form for new NNIDs and NNIDs spreadsheet, courtesy of japtor

Game-related controversy:

GAF's own ElTopo lost his avatar in a bet. He was sure Criterion was not in charge of the WiiU port. He's grown wiser now.

The recently released 3 sets of new DLC, is it expected to also show up on the Wii U version for download at some point?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Sort of want, but it (and LEGO Cities) came out at a terrible time after a four month Wii U drought. MonHan is eating all my resources, and $59.99 is a bit too much for me to bite on. Looks really nice though.

Yeah, I'll be buying this. Would play the PC ver. but it runs like shite at full-res on my PC.

Digital Foundry comparison should be interesting to see.

big youth

The recently released 3 sets of new DLC, is it expected to also show up on the Wii U version for download at some point?

This question was asked in a recent developer walkthrough and the guy replied they are only talking about the retail release at this point.

trinest

Was considering on picking this title up. Already got Lego and Luigi preordered. But so far no one has it added online except for the most expensive place in Australia. Thinking of importing it maybe.

cool except the limited online

It's like down 2 players, its not like its 4 players lost or something. Get over it.

Will get this game but conflicted wherever to get from eShop or retail disk =/, guess I'll try the demo first as well. Would have gotten this instead of Lego City but getting that almost half of the price it is on now (for preorders)

So it depends on how well the game sells?

when did the PC DLC pack come out?
wondering if that is the delay or waiting a month to allow people to play the original game before the packs change the gameplay or maybe more gamepad shortcut buttons needed for those DLC packs delaying it

I want that set of DLC bad

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Why is Amazon UK selling this for £49.99?

All other Wii U games go for ~£39

Stupid pricing like that will kill off the WiiU faster then the lack of games... I simply refuse to pay that much for a game.

plank

The most I have ever payed for a video game new or other wise was $40...... Fuck that shit!111!!

Arkam

Asking 60 euro for it is a joke. The 360/ps3 version is only 20-30 euro now.

But 20-30 euro gets a version that wont run on my WiiU or have the additional features and included DLC... so wtf is your point?

Its still a new game for the platform so I dont have a problem paying full price. Especially when it looks like it is an excellent port.

Would buy, if I didn't already own (and barely play) the PC version.

probably the worst thing for most Wii U late ports is everyone already has it

to be fair they do try to stick some $10 DLC free in there but I don't blame the complaints

at least the next NFS will not be late

Thraktor

Definitely going to give the demo a try, as I enjoyed Hot Pursuit and was a fan of the earlier Burnouts, but I'm not sure I'll buy just yet given the size of my backlog at the moment.

the question asked is a little weird. is he only saying yes to it being available on the eshop as a full digital download or also saying yes to their being the new DLC on the eshop or what?

I'm not worried about the DLC anymore from that it may not be day 1 but I choose to believe they would not miss the easy cash in since they are giving the first DLC for free

before we say Mass Effect, ME3 is not on eShop but this game is going to be and it has a demo so if YES does not tell you new DLC then wait and see

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Asking 60 euro for it is a joke. The 360/ps3 version is only 20-30 euro now.

This is the problem with most new releases via DD across all platforms. There was a new game on the PS Shop that was 60quid the other day. 60 quid! I could buy almost two new games for that.

I wonder how much the loading times are reduced by from purchasing on the eShop since there are no full install options?

Top Bottom