• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed |OT| Contains Spoilers

Damn this game is gorgeous. I don't know if this is the right way to describe it, but it has a photorealistic quality to it that I really haven't seen before. I didn't play the beta so this is all new to me. Anyway I'm very pleased and having a lot of fun.

Lima

I think they may the autolog recommended races. I may be wrong.

This is correct.

Means someone from your friends list is also playing the game and has set a better time/more rep points etc.

You get a bit of extra money for beating your friend and it has been the daily challenge two times so far.

OK the always online thing is TOTALLY ridiculous. I was in my garage editing decals on my car, and it said connection was lost, and it started me over to the main menu, and it had to load everything again. Come on.

OK the always online thing is TOTALLY ridiculous. I was in my garage editing decals on my car, and it said connection was lost, and it started me over to the main menu, and it had to load everything again. Come on.

But you're always online anyway so it's ok!

Had a similar situation while in a race. Luckily, it hasn't happened to me again.

For anyone near the harder missions, I recommend you not get the Lamborghini as the difficulty goes way high if you don't have every max part you can get for it. Been using my Skyline R34 and I've been able to beat every mission so far (including the BS rocketship rubberbanding ones).

newsguy

Maybe it's because in my early 20's I was big into tuning cars, but I'm enjoying the game. While it is photorealistic in a way, it's mainly because of all the filters being layered over the image. While the look is very film-like, with the grain and the chromatic aberration, it's also annoying when playing on a large screen and those flaws become magnified. Even when in the garage just looking at the car there's an unnecessary softness to the image that bothers me.

Once upgraded and tuned, the drifting feels great. After watching so many of the EA access streams I was really worried that drifting would not be possible. So many people were so bad at it. I fully built an S15 with my slider setting about a quarter of the way towards drift and went to town. Holy shit it feels great to pull off a huge mountain twist from beginning to end. At one point I hit the nitrous at just the right moment and drifted thru an entire S curve without a hitch. That's a feeling I haven't had since 2010 Hot Pursuit (my absolute favorite NFS game).

Something that I think every racing game needs to steal from NFS is the drift slider. I love that I can tune a car from scratch and know that I can quickly mess with the general drift setting with one slider. This way if I want to tweak individual functions later It's much quicker. This would be great for games like
Forza when you want to do a drift build and not have to go thru each setting from scratch.

The always online thing is a total joke and the fact that there's no true multiplayer is garbage. The racing is fun and the customization is awesome. This game is a solid 7 for me.

moerser

First OT (i also jsut learned how to make gifs, yay) so try to be kind :)

and you nailed it with that title. good work!

i'm looking forward to play it. fmvs are cheesy enough to keep me entertained, the driving feels ok for an arcade racer and i like the costumization and tuning.

BONDO

Just got done playing with my buddy...maybe 5hrs worth.
The "multiplayer" was fun and we ran through a bunch of missions etc. Made about 150k and lvl 27....finally upraded that shitty BRZ to a Z06.

I didnt like it that much last night when i was focusing on alot of negatives that were pointed out in reviews. Not this evening though. Played the game to have fun and enjoyed the hell out of it....most fun ive had in an NFS since HP(2010) Glad i stuck to my gut on this one

T.O.P

Banned
From Reddit

B9hGEnz.jpg

AoAAtDV.png

am1m1zx.png

CS8D3CxUwAAQEhw.jpg:large

The M3 for MW if so freakin gorgeous

Tomorrow can't come soon enough, fuck

Man I'm having a blast playing this game. This is as close to another underground game as I'm gonna get.

I think I like customizing cars more than driving them. Here are my two, I'll keep working on the Supra later :)

T.O.P

Banned
http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/disc...t-about-the-new-definitive-need-for-speed-400

Finally, there's been talk of "zero microtransactions" in Need for Speed, going forwards. Are you seriously saying there's nothing? No extra payments coming, at all?
You can never say never, as if we ended up doing DLC for this game for 10 years, I can't know what's happening in 10 years' time. All I can say is, honestly, hand on heart, is there are absolutely no plans to charge for content in this game. We're going to give you everything for free. I've seen the plans for what's going to happen over the next few weeks and months – there's nothing in there, by which I mean, we don't even have the ability to charge you in the game. There's no store to speak of.

let's hope for some meaty DLCs then

danowat

Banned
I finished it about six hours ago, and it took me 17.5 I believe. More than I thought I'd played, to be honest. This is assuming that the in-game clock is correct.

Yeah, I am trying to blast through it in the 10hr trial, but I think I'll come up a fair bit short.

LordRaiden

Neo Member
Tip if you want to win against that atrocious rubberbanding A.I

Stay mid-pack and gun it in the last half of the last lap. Shouldn't be a problem.

But!! Here's my main gripe with this: I would have to drive under my limits to win. That just doesn't make sense and for me is the sole reason not to buy it.

I want to be rewarded for my skill. I don't want to hold back and drive like my pants are on fire for the last bit of a race.

If im driving consistantly, I want to see it by the gap between me and the car behind.

Rubberbanding has always been something which makes my blood boil and won't add to the experience in a positive way.

If they manage to get rid of:

- Always online bullshit
- Rubberbanding

Then, I might consider buying this sometime. As for now, I'll just leave it on the storeshelves.

newsguy

I don't want to brag, but this is a badass GT86

20151103_203917_zpsmv470sby.jpg

20151103_203940_zpsf7mnvxkh.jpg

And my S15 makes this thing look like a toy. Love the JDM aftermarket widebody kits.

SkywardKing

Neo Member
Hearing that there isn't a full day time cycle is a turn off for me. That and noticing just how few cars are on the road. It makes the city look like a ghost town. I'm guessing the reason for the night to dawn and back cycle was to justify there being so few cars on the road. Less cars on the road = better performance.

Another thing is the driving looks sooooo stiff. Maybe it gets better and i was watching some beginner level drivers, but it was a HUGE disappointment for me. Maybe the next version will be better.

Hearing that there isn't a full day time cycle is a turn off for me. That and noticing just how few cars are on the road. It makes the city look like a ghost town. I'm guessing the reason for the night to dawn and back cycle was to justify there being so few cars on the road. Less cars on the road = better performance.

Another thing is the driving looks sooooo stiff. Maybe it gets better and i was watching some beginner level drivers, but it was a HUGE disappointment for me. Maybe the next version will be better.

Same issue I saw with the game. This was on my day one purchase list for this year. . but now I just might wait until the next reboot happens.

LogicStep

Spent like 3 hours playing last night. I'm loving the game. The fmv cutscenes were jarring for like the first minute but then I actually got into it. The graphics are amazing, so damn shiny I love it. The performance has been solid. Took me a good while to get used to the controls but I started to get the hang of it and it seriously is fun. One gripe I have is that the game dishes out a lot of cash and I modded two cars and they were way faster than whatever I was racing against making it a bit easy. Rubberbanding ai didn't bother me since once you get the hang of driving they can't beat you. At least to the point where I'm at.

DirtyLarry

If you press start while you're still in the event, you can restart the race but you have to enter the event again. (It won't start you back in the event, kinda frustrating).

If you finish the event and want to retry it you have to drive back up to it or teleport and enter it again, AFAIK there is no quick retry button after you finish a event.

There is an OT up, btw
I am quoting this from the review thread as for some reason when I searched last night I did not find this OT.

My original question was is there a way to just enter an event once you have done it without driving back to that event again.

So my follow up to this answer (thank you willbsn) is how do you teleport? I did not see how to do that. And I thought when I priced Start during the race I only was seeing the 3 icons, Map, Quick Actions, and REP, but perhaps Restart was under Quick Actions so I can try again.

Just has to be an easier way to redo an event than driving back to it. I suck at Drifting so wanted to redo one of the drifting events.

Game otherwise is pretty damn enjoyable. Looks amazing on the PS4.

Anyone else on XB1 here getting a particularly grainy and blurry image with this game? Not sure whether it's an intended visual effect or it's a result of the sub-1080p resolution. This combined with the framerate drops give the game a very unappealing look at times.

Nemesis_

I'm really sorry if this has been answered before but does anyone know if the game requires Gold or PS Plus to play? Or does it just have to be connected to the online service?

newsguy

Anyone else on XB1 here getting a particularly grainy and blurry image with this game? Not sure whether it's an intended visual effect or it's a result of the sub-1080p resolution. This combined with the framerate drops give the game a very unappealing look at times.

I'm really sorry if this has been answered before but does anyone know if the game requires Gold or PS Plus to play? Or does it just have to be connected to the online service?

None of the paid services are required.

T.O.P

Banned

Game doesn't look exactly "clean", a lot goes to the intended effects the developer went with (900p on X1 doesn't help the IQ ofc)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Any chance theres gonna be drag racing DLC or update in the future? it was the ONE thing that set NFSU apart from the other racers.
I need that RUSH.

Any chance theres gonna be drag racing DLC or update in the future? it was the ONE thing that set NFSU apart from the other racers.
I need that RUSH.

I suppose they need to patch in manual transmission before even thinking about including a drag mode lol.

nikos

So wait, the game ISN'T 900p on PS4? That's why I didn't notice it. I was commending their post processing because I thought it hid the sub-native resolution so well, but it turns out it's actually 1080p. I knew it looked too good to be 900p.

So, how is the game from a gameplay perspective? Performance?

Getting it tomorrow.

If you want to play a decent street racing game, this scratches that itch as there hasn't been one in years. You'll need to purchase parts and adjust your handling to drift though.

PS4 version is solid, had stuttering issues with Xbone via EA access so I can't say if they're gone or not.

Duriii

Does NFS on Xbox One puts it's savefile in the different spot than the rest of the games on this console? I finished EA Access trial yesterday and I noticed there is no savefile in this menu, where you can uninstall the game. Is this all right, or did I lose all my progress? Should I leave that game installed, just in case?

DirtyLarry

Select race from map, press right, and there will be an option to teleport to event.
Thank you very much. This is a relief to discover. Was my current biggest complaint.

If you want to play a decent street racing game, this scratches that itch as there hasn't been one in years. You'll need to purchase parts and adjust your handling to drift though.

PS4 version is solid, had stuttering issues with Xbone via EA access so I can't say if they're gone or not.
By answering the other member you inadvertently let me know my hunch was correct about drifting, that I will need to tune my car to actually do it effectively. Thanks.

So, how is the game from a gameplay perspective? Performance?

Getting it tomorrow.
Performance seems good on the PS4. I did not notice any framerate issues as I have been hearing about with the One version. I did notice some clear hitches but they always appeared to be Network related.

Gameplay is pretty much NFS as it always has been. Handling felt off at first to me but I also have been playing a lot of Forza, but once I got used to it, it is an Arcade Racer. Crashing is really weird though, it just kind of happens with no visuals.

Overall though it seems solid. Visually it is real nice, but I was not blown away by what I played, but I did enjoy myself.

Not bad at all

Yeah, I am trying to blast through it in the 10hr trial, but I think I'll come up a fair bit short.

Yeah, it surprised me. I didn't realize I'd played that much.

Then again, I was close to level 41 the other day.

I got really frustrated when I picked it back up last night, because there were a lot of drift events and the AI was insane. They'd get out to huge leads I just couldn't match, and would seem to score so much more than I could at times. Either I sucked or it was cheap, more likely me sucking though.

But the pack drift challenges suck because you need to stay close yet if you get hit hard by another car your drift is gone.

The performance was also pretty bad then, and I lost connection to the servers two or three times. Thankfully, I lost it after the final race, otherwise I would've been pissed after doing a 20 mile race a couple of times.

It got better when I restarted after the first kick, though.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I see it as a 6 and kind of regret saying that. It's a 5 or a 5.5, I think.

Top Bottom