• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed |OT| Contains Spoilers

RedStep

So I don't get the "no pause button" complaint. Whenever I want to "pause" I just click the touch pad and warp to my garage. There... paused.

You're in the middle of a race and the phone rings.... you think the best solution is to cancel whatever event you're in and load to the garage just to address something else for 10 seconds?

RichGS

I really don't get what happened to this game.

When I played it at EGX this year there were no signs of performance issues. Pretty sure it wasn't connected to EA's servers either. I was actually really looking forward to it.

It's still a decent game but it's a shame it's turned out the way it has.

Cudder

Having to load to the garage just to pause sounds awful...

Cancelling the event you're in is not a good way to go about it. Might as well just hit restart event so it'll at least knock you back to the starting point for when you get back to it.

This game kind of confuses me. I don't know what event's I'm supposed to be doing. I know the coloured dots are the character/story events, what about all the other "normal events" on the map? Why do some have stars and some don't?

And I fiddled some more with the handling of my Evo last night and I still can't find a sweet spot; The controls and steering feel like they have some kind of inherent lag to them. Everything takes a half second to respond to my input. At least that's what it feels like to me. I tried pushing the sliders so my car can be more responsive but it just doesn't work. Things like dodging traffic is such a pain because of this when it should be super easy.

And I really hate how drift focused this game is. I want a relatively grippy car, but most of the shit you come across is drift focused. I really feel you're at a severe disadvantage if you go for grip. What am I supposed to do when I take my grippy car to a drift event? They should have different tuning presets available for every car when you start an event so you can choose what's right for the event. In this case I'd have to take up 2 garage slots for the same car, one grippy and one drift, and go back to the garage to swap between the two depending on the event I'm going to tackle. Tedious.

T.O.P

Banned
This game kind of confuses me. I don't know what event's I'm supposed to be doing. I know the coloured dots are the character/story events, what about all the other "normal events" on the map? Why do some have stars and some don't?

Stars are new events that you haven't yet entered

Only thing that i dislike so far (apart from the rubberbanding) is the cop AI

I mean i heard they were a bunch of assholes in Rivals and that a chase could go on freakin forever...here you are lucky to get 1-2 minutes max and holy hell they act absolutely clueless

@gonna try and make the TD Evo tonight

xA7VuE1.jpg

bs000

Is anyone else trying to do some multiplayer races? Is there a gaf crew? Please add me. ;-;

bs000 on Xbox.

T.O.P

Banned
Is anyone else trying to do some multiplayer races? Is there a gaf crew? Please add me. ;-;

bs000 on Xbox.

Added, i'll be back to the game later tonight :)

I've no idea how the online works tho, didn't have the time to try it yet

I just need the challenges, myself, but I think it might be an annoyance and waste of time.

Having to load to the garage just to pause sounds awful...

It's a pain if you get called away, or have to go away from the game like I do sometimes to help family.

But it's not the end of the world and races can be restarted.

It's not good game design, though.

bs000

Added, i'll be back to the game later tonight :)

I've no idea how the online works tho, didn't have the time to try it yet

From what I can tell so far, it seems like you have to join a random crew, then join a game with at least one player in the crew, then find an event, then hit 'invite crew' and hope that they join within the 30s time limit. So far I've been able to play one race with one other player plus 6 CPU cars.

Ridiculous that they didn't add some kind of lobby system where you can just join and race against strangers. It sort of made sense in Rivals, but even then it was annoying not being able to just jump into a multiplayer race.

So, is this game good if you like arcade racers? How is the multiplayer?

I think it's enjoyable. MP is very barebones and has questionable design. You can ride beside someone and challenge them but there's no countdown so once they accept, a random route appears which may sometimes be behind you.

You can also invite people to a crew and then line up at a race event but people are more than likely to deny your request.

Anyone able to beat the game with the 10hr EA Access trial?

I wasn't able to, but some people have. Just make sure to skip all cutscenes and teleport everywhere.

Karak

I'm sorry to hear you don't like the game, you could probably stand to not tell us every post you make in here though. Yes, it's a forum, yes, it's part of discussion, but I think we get it by now.

You should probably calm down a bit. No reason to get that bent out of shape you want to control the narrative.

I just need the challenges, myself, but I think it might be an annoyance and waste of time.

It's a pain if you get called away, or have to go away from the game like I do sometimes to help family.

At least the ability to transport is there. I have had to stop due to random stuff happening and being able to at least get back in a pinch its helped.

LogicStep

Just one complaint so far. Those damn drift races whete you have to stay close to the pack. Such bullshit. I wanna go full speed!

Karak

The only thing that's stopping me from getting this game is the rubber banding. Can this be nerfed or fixed in a patch??
Possible but its actually a bit more difficult than just turning it down as that can have game-play repercussions when it comes to race difficulty. It really depends on if it sold well enough to garner continued work or if it drops off the list of things to do if money is tight.

Just one complaint so far. Those damn drift races whete you have to stay close to the pack. Such bullshit. I wanna go full speed!
There isn't a ton at least but it was annoying when you just want to go as fast as you can.

Arttemis

Most importantly, there's literally no reason for it to be in the game. There's no justification or benefits to what EA has forced on its customers here. It's nothing but a hindrance. The multiplayer isn't anything remarkable, and the barely populated that occasionally have other players driving around can be delivered without gutting offline play. Souls game don't require always-online connections to have other players randomly show up and play along side you, and NFS doesn't offer anything more sophisticated.

Karak

Most importantly, there's literally no reason for it to be in the game. There's no justification or benefits to what EA has forced on its customers here. It's nothing but a hindrance. The multiplayer isn't anything remarkable, and the barely populated that occasionally have other players driving around can be delivered without gutting offline play. Souls game don't require always-online connections to have other players randomly show up and play along side you, and NFS doesn't offer anything more sophisticated.

I wonder if, for all intents and purposes they did it to save time. You hit the switch between online and off but almost nothing changes other than a couple options in menus and the draw in of other players cars. Versus say having a true other mode.

T.O.P

Banned
Dat "gotta send pics of my ride to all my friendz asap" from NFSU2 is still strong between me and my friends lol

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
When oppenents zip by you out of nowhere...playing catch up. Ensures its a competitive race...cheaply.

So i really havent had a problem with it till the first few "hard" missions. Im no longer destroying opponents on my first try....rubberbanding kickin in hard.
Oh yeah, I use to call it's BS NOS in Underground lol.

Dominator

Beat the game, got to level 50 and found the open world collectibles in 15 and a half hours.

Honestly a lot longer than I thought it would be. Really fun game, I enjoyed my time with it. I didn't rush I just had a lot of free time yesterday which I dedicated to this lol

Dominator

just got to the Component parts race. Wow that race is full of BS Ai rubberbanding
Yeah that and the last race are the only ones I had to do more than once, with that one more than three times. Amy would just get ridiculously far ahead, so then I saved that race until after I 100% all of the other stories, upgraded my car to the max I could and then smoked them lol

KRaZyAmmo

Yeah that and the last race are the only ones I had to do more than once, with that one more than three times. Amy would just get ridiculously far ahead, so then I saved that race until after I 100% all of the other stories, upgraded my car to the max I could and then smoked them lol
Just beat that race in my BNR32. Boy did that race make me wanna throw my controller.

edit: anyone know a good race to get tons of money?

nikos

just got to the Component parts race. Wow that race is full of BS Ai rubberbanding

Pretty sure that's the race I'm stuck on now. I'm using an RX7, which is the car I've been using for almost the entire game. I'm about level 44 and it's upgraded as much as possible. Wondering if buying a supercar will make things easier. I don't want one, but some of these end-game races are getting tough. My car tends to get unstable at high speed as well, so I may benefit from a car that was meant to go really fast.

B-Dex

This business or pleasure race against Magnus is total BS. The only thing that matters is the S curve at the end and he always gets a huge rocket boost and zooms right on by to win.

What I do think is funny is the rubberbanding has done the same thing to me a couple of times where I'm pretty far ahead but suddenly the car behind me shoots up for a photo finish

Bothers me because I'm like "oh you've gotta be fucking kidding me" but then it still gives the victory to me

Still really into the game. Not everyone's gonna like it (as we've seen) but if you're someone who's interested but put off by the reviews, there are some folks enjoying it haha

nikos

Just finished the story. Sad it's over. Really hope EA gives this game proper support via DLC.

Also found out that you can race vs multiple human opponents. Somebody triggered a drift challenge between three of us. Not sure what the maximum number of players is, but I was previously under the impression that it was 1v1 only.

How are most of the trophies? Anything time consuming?

By the time the story is over, you'll have almost earned the Platinum. I only have three trophies left, and they're all easy to get.

De_Marco

So I decided to invite my friends to my "crew" to play some missions in Coop yesterday evening. This apparently destroyed the save game for two of us, because we were (and still are) not able to purchase car upgrades and visual changes to the cars are no longer saved.
I´ve also lost all my money and some of the upgrades. Only REP and mission progress were saved properly. There is also no option to start over, because it seems the savegame is stored on the EA server and not on the PS4. What fuckery is this? We restarted the game/PS4 several times, which is the only option you can do apparently...
If this isn´t fixed on their end, I don´t know how to progress in the game.

DryvBy

GAF crew on PS4? Please add me: DryvBy

Also, what's the general complaint about this game? I didn't bother reading a review. But I haven't had a single issue. It's a stupid arcade racer that looks pretty. Is that the complaint?

Mayjaplaya

Neo Member
GAF crew on PS4? Please add me: DryvBy

Also, what's the general complaint about this game? I didn't bother reading a review. But I haven't had a single issue. It's a stupid arcade racer that looks pretty. Is that the complaint?

You haven't even read any fan opinions or user reviews?

Well.

Ever gotten kicked out of the game because you lost connection with EA's Servers for no good reason? Maybe in the middle of a long race/cop chase or in the middle of a build, with all that progress lost? Some people couldn't even connect for hours on end and had no game to play.
Ever had real life interrupt you with something unplanned-for and urgent in the middle of a long race/cop chase, only to find out you're unable to actually pause the game and you end up shitouttaluck?
Ever accelerated out of a turn with a laggy turbocharged car only to find out your car... wasn't accelerating because the transmission upshifted early or held on to a higher gear for too long? Because there's no manual transmission option, the only solution is to slow down by 2 gears to get 1 downshift, or just use a supercharger instead.

Potentially game-breaking flaws aside:
The icon of rice, the Honda Civic, has no body kits and no rear bumpers. Many tuner cars, not just the exotics/muscles, are bereft of customization options. There are also some strange restrictions to customization. For example putting on a body kit will lock out spoiler, hood, and exhaust customization, among other things. Some body kits don't change the spoiler at all, but some put on a horribly ricey spoiler that you're stuck with if you want the body kit on. WIP customization spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1seHjNYjEcYhtxANA9sI4x4UaPXBOMy5tl66sAl5D5Ck/edit?usp=sharing
Many players are reporting the game can't even hold 30 fps, and are also complaining about blurriness/grain, permanent rain, shitty story/characters, 5-car garage limit with no outside-of-career garage for free customization, rubberbanding, pathetic police, and location-based time-of-night so crossing certain imaginary lines will switch the skybox from pitch-black to dawn, or vice-versa, in a second.

It's nice that you're enjoying the game, but those are some of the complaints so far.

DryvBy

You haven't even read any fan opinions or user reviews?

Well.

Ever gotten kicked out of the game because you lost connection with EA's Servers for no good reason? Maybe in the middle of a long race/cop chase or in the middle of a build, with all that progress lost? Some people couldn't even connect for hours on end and had no game to play.
Ever had real life interrupt you with something unplanned-for and urgent in the middle of a long race/cop chase, only to find out you're unable to actually pause the game and you end up shitouttaluck?
Ever accelerated out of a turn with a laggy turbocharged car only to find out your car... wasn't accelerating because the transmission upshifted early or held on to a higher gear for too long? Because there's no manual transmission option, the only solution is to slow down by 2 gears to get 1 downshift, or just use a supercharger instead.

Potentially game-breaking flaws aside:
The icon of rice, the Honda Civic, has no body kits and no rear bumpers. Many tuner cars, not just the exotics/muscles, are bereft of customization options. There are also some strange restrictions to customization. For example putting on a body kit will lock out spoiler, hood, and exhaust customization, among other things. Some body kits don't change the spoiler at all, but some put on a horribly ricey spoiler that you're stuck with if you want the body kit on. WIP customization spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1seHjNYjEcYhtxANA9sI4x4UaPXBOMy5tl66sAl5D5Ck/edit?usp=sharing
Many players are reporting the game can't even hold 30 fps, and are also complaining about blurriness/grain, permanent rain, shitty story/characters, 5-car garage limit with no outside-of-career garage for free customization, rubberbanding, pathetic police, and location-based time-of-night so crossing certain imaginary lines will switch the skybox from pitch-black to dawn, or vice-versa, in a second.

It's nice that you're enjoying the game, but those are some of the complaints so far.

The only thing I heard was rubberbanding AI, night time, lack of customization, and meh multiplayer options. Oh, and definitely the always online, which was the biggest beef I had with the game.

Outside of the always online """"feature"""", seems like a typical modern NFS game. For an arcade racer, I'm actually ok with rubberband AI as long as it's not too ridiculous (jetting past me for no reason even if I didn't crash).

Hope I don't experience any major issues in the future.

Outside of the always online """"feature"""", seems like a typical modern NFS game. For an arcade racer, I'm actually ok with rubberband AI as long as it's not too ridiculous (jetting past me for no reason even if I didn't crash).

Hope I don't experience any major issues in the future.

Well you're in for a few major treats!

Didn't want to picked this up with Fallout coming next week, but fuck it.
Having a blast with it. Haven't really played a NfS game since Underground 1 & 2.
I have Most Wanted for Vita, but have only played about an hour, and have played Hot Pursuit few years back for about an hour also.

I'm 4 hours into, got this sexy toyota sprinter I've been rolling around in.

jesu

So I decided to invite my friends to my "crew" to play some missions in Coop yesterday evening. This apparently destroyed the save game for two of us, because we were (and still are) not able to purchase car upgrades and visual changes to the cars are no longer saved.
I´ve also lost all my money and some of the upgrades. Only REP and mission progress were saved properly. There is also no option to start over, because it seems the savegame is stored on the EA server and not on the PS4. What fuckery is this? We restarted the game/PS4 several times, which is the only option you can do apparently...
If this isn´t fixed on their end, I don´t know how to progress in the game.

Sucks that it fucked up for you but you can Restart Your Journey in the settings if that is what you meant by starting over.

Top Bottom