• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed |OT| Contains Spoilers

Anyone have trouble with the component parts race with Amy? I just can't do it. I'm level 30 and have my car upgraded as much as possible but this race seems impossible due to the rubber banding

Anyone have trouble with the component parts race with Amy? I just can't do it. I'm level 30 and have my car upgraded as much as possible but this race seems impossible due to the rubber banding

Try pushing her into shit. I BARELY won by driving into the front of her car a few feet before the finish line.

Edit: this also applies to an icon you'll sprint race later on
Magnus Walker

I barely won that race, too. It was one of the hardest in the game.

Try pushing her, knocking her out of the race for a few seconds and using nitrous.

Good luck

I can't unlock the ability to tune my car all the way to drift. I still have one more part to unlock, but it's just an engine. Maybe I'm missing something.

Is there any reason to keep Nakai's Porsche? I'd rather have the open slot in my garage tbh.

No, you just need it for the one race. It's free anyways.

Cudder

Played a few hours last night.

Man, you guys weren't kidding about the rubberbanding. I don't get a lot of racing games, the last NFS game I bought was SHIFT, though I loved the Underground series. But right off the bat the rubberbanding is there in full force. I thought it might be something that gets introduced later in the game, for the harder races to keep the challenge up, but I lost the first 3 races because of that shit. Now I remember Underground 1 had really bad rubberbanding as well, maybe I just had more of a tolerance to play it because I was younger. Either way, the rubberbanding is a disappointment in a game based on tuning and specing your ride to be better than the others.

The handling so far is really stiff and wonky. I didn't fool around too much with the sliders so hopefully I can figure out my sweet spot, but coming off of tons of hours of Driveclub, this feels so heavy.

The look of the game is great so far. Love the vibe, feel and visuals of the game. Environments look great, except for some weird quirks like the lighting changing on a dime. I'll literally be driving and in a second the skybox will literally go from pitch black midnight to dawn. What's going on there? I read somewhere that the lighting and day/night cycle might be location based instead of time based, and, at least to me, that's what it looks like.

The always online thing is dumb. As expected. I got kicked out of EA's servers for no apparent reason while tuning my car and had to jump back in the game.

Another dumb thing (that apparently is the reason for the always online) are the snapshots. It takes a snapshot of your car from a front angle after every race. For what purpose? Most of the time it's just a banged up version of your car, so you don't even get to fully appreciate your car because it's just been through the ringer. If you go to the snapshots page in the menu and see everyones uploaded shots, 90% of them are the cars from this angle after a race. Pretty dumb. No photo mode is pretty dumb too, as all you can do is spin the camera around the car and take your own shots.

That being said, the game is fun so far. I love the visual customization and the performance upgrades. I'm not super heavy into cars, so the explanations of what each part does is appreciated. It has just enough customization to make me want to get my hands dirty. If this was something like Gran Turismo level-depth I wouldn't even bother. So they do a good job of making all of it accessible even if you're not a gearhead.

I'm enjoying this so far. Was able to grind last night for enough cash to be able to puchase my Z06 and get it upgraded. Once you start dialing in the handling/tuning, it becomes a lot more fun to play. I have not had any issues with the always online aspect so far. Performance on PS4 has also been solid.

Voidwolf

No, you just need it for the one race. It's free anyways.

Alright I'll get rid of it then.

After the first couple of races I haven't had too much trouble with the rubberbanding. I always drift when possible and I use the action nitrous so I'm always boosting out of a drift and that helps keep me ahead of the pack. My biggest gripe with the game comes from it hosting the races in the shared open world instead of instances. I can't tell you how many times an amazing run has been devastated by another player's race crossing routes with mine, or worse yet and far more infuriating, an AFK player who's parked their car in the middle of the road.

I absolutely love the customization in this game and have spent a good portion of my playtime tweaking my car's visuals rather than driving them. Limited parts on certain models is a real bummer though. As far as the handling goes, once you find the right tuning for your car I don't see much of a problem (other than that horrid auto-steer, seriously what the hell is up with that).

Alright I'll get rid of it then.

After the first couple of races I haven't had too much trouble with the rubberbanding. I always drift when possible and I use the action nitrous so I'm always boosting out of a drift and that helps keep me ahead of the pack. My biggest gripe with the game comes from it hosting the races in the shared open world instead of instances. I can't tell you how many times an amazing run has been devastated by another player's race crossing routes with mine, or worse yet and far more infuriating, an AFK player who's parked their car in the middle of the road.

I absolutely love the customization in this game and have spent a good portion of my playtime tweaking my car's visuals rather than driving them. Limited parts on certain models is a real bummer though. As far as the handling goes, once you find the right tuning for your car I don't see much of a problem (other than that horrid auto-steer, seriously what the hell is up with that).

There were times where my car just drove into a wall during a turn, even though I was steering the other way.

KRaZyAmmo

just unlocked the exhausts. Here is recreation of Keiichi Tsuchiya's hachiroku
KofA09J.jpg

fLY3x1q.jpg

KRaZyAmmo

so I bought the BNR32 today. I was modding it, putting some stickers up. But when I was trying to put stickers on the side/rear windows. Not one sticker showed.

Could not resist and ordered this for PS4. I'm very sensitive to framerate issues, and the framerate in the beta was quite awful at times, but I'm confident GHOST, is gonna patch this.

Makikou

I really really want to get this but seriously that AI?!

It wasn't that bad in Rivals but jesus god what people are experiencing here.

Any tips on building the 2F2F Skyline? I don't like the editing system, seems very wonky.

Wish we could just upload our stuff on a community server for everyone to use... I guess it does add a sense of ownership.

Voidwolf

Finally beat Amy in Component Parts. It was really easy once I figured what I had to do.

Just had to buy and modify a GT-R to leave them in the dust.

The AI drives them around the city. They are collectibles. Easy to find. I'm only missing two.

Ah, was unaware you could race those random guys driving around. I've only been able to challenge people when they were parked. Thanks!

Edit: do they appear as yellow arrows on your mini map?

Dawg

If you want to play a decent street racing game, this scratches that itch as there hasn't been one in years. You'll need to purchase parts and adjust your handling to drift though.

PS4 version is solid, had stuttering issues with Xbone via EA access so I can't say if they're gone or not.

Performance seems good on the PS4. I did not notice any framerate issues as I have been hearing about with the One version. I did notice some clear hitches but they always appeared to be Network related.

Gameplay is pretty much NFS as it always has been. Handling felt off at first to me but I also have been playing a lot of Forza, but once I got used to it, it is an Arcade Racer. Crashing is really weird though, it just kind of happens with no visuals.

Overall though it seems solid. Visually it is real nice, but I was not blown away by what I played, but I did enjoy myself.

Sounds good. I don't expect a perfect game, but the "Underground feel" has become such a niche in the racing genre that I'll take anything even close to it. I played Rivals late 2013 and ended up disliking it. Driving was good, but everything else wasn't.

I hope this NFS game will please me again.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm guessing the reason for the night to dawn and back cycle was to justify there being so few cars on the road. Less cars on the road = better performance.
Or perhaps it's because illegal Street racing happens at ummm....NIGHT?
Guess you didn't notice that in nearly every illegal Street racing related thing ever made?
Yes NFSMW happen in the day but that's why it was dumb.
But more traffic would be better, but I wouldn't say it's a ghost town.

Another thing is the driving looks sooooo stiff. Maybe it gets better and i was watching some beginner level drivers, but it was a HUGE disappointment for me. Maybe the next version will be better.
You can adjust the handling from the get go, drift or grip, find what suits you.

Lgndryhr

I am trying to force myself to like and get this game, but between the beta and feedback I just cannot. Want a racer for my PS4 and have yet to enjoy any of the offerings yet. I take this to heart being such a big NFS fan. I've bought almost every NFS to date.

Impressions after (probably) 7 hours on PS4:

Having a lot of fun thus far. A lot of my time yesterday was spent mindlessly driving around and drifting. City doesn't feel "alive" but it looks nice and has solid level design, you can just drive around aimlessly without feeling like you're just going in circles

Haven't had any issues with the always online thus far, which is pretty surprising to be honest. Even connecting to the game in the beta was a pain in the ass, sometimes it wouldn't find matches or whatever. I also probably got disconnected once or twice. In the final game, no issues (so far, hopefully it continues)

Rubberbanding is definitely annoying, but really isn't that bad. Seems like once you accept that it's there the race objective just becomes "drive well for yourself, also fuck over the AI cars whenever possible."

The ignorant soundtrack is outstanding and absolutely makes the atmosphere of the game. Though I must say, the garage half of the OST seems a lot better than the driving half

The characters are idiots, but I kind of love them. It's weird (but refreshing) to just have a game simulating hanging out rather than some dumb objective

Really wish cops were more of a challenge. My favorite memories of Need For Speed games revolve around Hot Pursuits so it's a bit of a letdown, but I've read tons of people saying "man I don't want cops in my NFS" so I get it. Just sucks that you have to really bait them to get them to do anything. I think I got fucked hard by rubberbanding in the beta because I had a 10+ minute long chase with multiple cops that would not leave my side, haven't seen any even close to that kind of aggression in the final game.

No framerate issues thus far, but I haven't used high performance/endgame cars

A lot of the complaints I've seen are a bit convenient for me, just because the game's decisions align with my preferences generally: automatic only, always night and rainy (best aesthetic), super arcadey handling

Just cruising around feels like Outrun: After Dark. Stoked to cop the 87 Ferrari and change the license plate to SEGA

EDIT: For what it's worth, the last NFS I've played is Underground 1 or 2 lol.

More traffic would be worse. I don't understand people complaining about that. I get the city is empty, but more traffic isn't the answer. I can already imagine the complaints if there was more traffic. The amount of times you would have to restart races because a car was coming around the corner while you were drifting, would be insanely frustrating.

Also its street racing. It should be in night time. We have dusk and dawn, but it needs to appear a bit more often in a more dynamic nature. Daytime simply wouldn't work in this game and its style. I always found it dumb how street racing games took place in the middle of the day with no one outside and the police hardly ever doing anything. Midnight Club LA did it alright, but that game had its own rubberbanding shenanigans, that puts this games rubberbanding to shame.

The rubberbanding is bad here, but I still remember raging far more in Underground 1 with its rubberbanding, or Most Wanted 2012 and Rivals. It's up there, but Driveclub and Rivals are still worse in terms of rubberbanding to be honest, and I got the platinum in Driveclub.

No pause button, limited visual customization, weak cops and lack of variety in the open world and races really brings it down. I would say add some more spawn points for cops and make them a bit more aggressive, (yes, they took those Rivals complaints way too strongly) and it will be fine.

I've played 15 hours thus far and I'm about 50% complete. I'm definitely taking my time and playing with friends but its not the best Need for Speed. It's fun, however I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone until it drops in price and if they are into casual racers, (and if they are okay with no pausing). Hopefully the free DLC elevates this game because it feels very basic and lacking right now.

Best wishes.

So I don't get the "no pause button" complaint. Whenever I want to "pause" I just click the touch pad and warp to my garage. There... paused.

Being in the middle of a race, and you're finally doing well and you get a phone call... That's not fun.

Normally I would be with you on that. If you have to go to the washroom, go eat or do other things, you could just stay in the garage or turn off your engine on the street but having to leave a touge mid-race when you're finally doing well because of a phone call, being called by your wife for something or any other business isn't great.

If I'm playing Call of Duty mid-game, I would usually just go prone somewhere or go hide in a spot in Destiny. Given how frustrating some of the later races can become, it becomes a drag if you have other things going on while playing the game.

That's just me though. If other people are fine with no pausing, that's great. I personally hate that game design from Souls and Destiny where the developers don't respect my time even when I'm playing alone.

Best wishes.

The rubber banding nearly kills the game for me. I've only done a handful of races and already I can tell it's going to annoy the shit out of me.

Dominator

The last event of the game is 104 checkpoints. You have to win to beat it. At checkpoint 103 I made a bad turn and smashed into a wall, everyone passed me.

I almost threw my controller through the fucking TV. Fuck I was mad lol

BONDO

What's this?

When oppenents zip by you out of nowhere...playing catch up. Ensures its a competitive race...cheaply.

So i really havent had a problem with it till the first few "hard" missions. Im no longer destroying opponents on my first try....rubberbanding kickin in hard.

Vaga

but Driveclub and Rivals are still worse in terms of rubberbanding.

Driveclub has no rubberbanding, the AI slows down a bit if you are too left behind but that's it, it doesn't affect you if you drive well enough. Unless you're confused about the slipstreaming effect which is pretty high. It doesn't even compare to the awful nfs style rubberbanding.

And I was this close to get over the always online shit but after all the feedback seriously fuck this game, will get it for 10euros max.

I'd rather play this than DriveClub, but DriveClub just didn't do much for me.

I just got to level 50. All I have left is daily challenges, but that'll be a pain. I may be done.

Mayjaplaya

Neo Member
I don't know how many Tokyo Xtreme Racer/Shutokou Battle fans are here, but I did a thing:

Background Info

Edit: Screens are PS4 screenshots of in-game screenshots (to remove gui)

Oh! Mememememe! Niiiiiiiiice.

I just tried out TXR3 when this new NFS was in early access and I was watching streams of it. Some people in chats mentioned TXR and I finally decided to try it out. I remembered reading lukewarm reviews of the games back when they came out, but 3's actually pretty nice.

The only car out of my top 5 in NFS that TXR3 doesn't have is the NSX.

03sho

The only thing that's stopping me from getting this game is the rubber banding. Can this be nerfed or fixed in a patch??

The only thing that's stopping me from getting this game is the rubber banding. Can this be nerfed or fixed in a patch??

Maybe. The beta had egregious Rubberbanding and has been toned down a lot in the full release. The first couple of races has some rubberbanding but it isn't a real race in the sense that you'll be getting REP or Money for it.

However, there are a few HARD races where you'll probably scream due to the incredibly cheap rocket fuel boosts Amy or Magnus uses.

Oh! Mememememe! Niiiiiiiiice.

I just tried out TXR3 when this new NFS was in early access and I was watching streams of it. Some people in chats mentioned TXR and I finally decided to try it out. I remembered reading lukewarm reviews of the games back when they came out, but 3's actually pretty nice.

The only car out of my top 5 in NFS that TXR3 doesn't have is the NSX.

This is awesome.

Thanks! Yeah, I know the TXR games were flawed, especially the first PS2 one, but I still loved them. They had great customization without the teenage fantasy story or street "attitude." The only things I didn't really like about the TXR3 was that Honda wouldn't sign on, all traffic being support vans, and that some cars had crappy textures, especially Mitsubishi.
I really wish this game had a decal editor like Forza. I wanted to put another logo on the back, but don't want to go through the 40 layers again only to end up with a "20-footer" logo.

Top Bottom