• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nelly's Sister Dies From Leukemia

Status
Not open for further replies.

miyuru

So apparently Nelly's sister has died from Leukemia. If you never heard, Nelly was pretty involved with bone marrow fundraisers and stuff, though they never found a suitable match for his sister.

Rough stuff, I can't imagine. Actually one of my friends' brothers died from Leukemia. He was my brother's friend really, but I know him pretty well too. It's scary :-\

Sadly, Nelly has lost his sister Jackie Donohue to a years-old bout with leukemia.

Donohue, 31, died Thursday morning after the cancer came out of remission.

"We are deeply saddened to announce the passing of Jackie Donahue, 31, who lost her 3-year battle with leukemia this morning," the family told AllHipHop.com in a statement. "We want to thank everyone for their love and support of Jackie. In particular, we want to thank those who participated in the Jes Us 4 Jackie bone marrow drives."

In March of 2001, Donahue was diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia and had beaten the disease until she suffered a relapse in January 2003.

Consequently, she and Nelly established the non-profit Jes-US-4-Jackie as a way to raise awareness about leukemia and to find her a possible bone marrow donor.

"We are very proud of her efforts to educate and raise awareness about the disease and the need for African-Americans to join the National Donor Registry. She will always be remembered for her loving spirit, energy, courage and unshakeable faith."

Nelly cancelled his recent concert appearances after learning about his sister’s passing.

Funeral details have yet to be announced.

from http://www.allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=4230

Richiban

I'm on the international bone marrow donor registry list.

My mother has fought and won against leukemia.

My heart breaks any time I hear a story such as this one.

miyuru

How does donating work? Can anyone donate? I know bone marrow is where WBCs are formed (except for T-lymphocytes). So is a person's bone marrow limited - is that why it's hard to donate? And how does one find a suitable donor?

Richiban

Basically it's like this: (IIRC, you're from Edmonton)

Go HERE

Read the brochures and take the quiz.

Fill out the form and send it in. A few days later CBS will call you to make an appointment to give a sample of your blood. That's all it takes.

If you get called upon (And face it, it's a very slim chance...I may never ever get called to donate. They look for 6 specific cell matches. If you are a 4/6 cell match, then they go ahead with the transplant.) you then get marrow drawn out of your spin (Which hurts like a motherfucker.) Marrow will regenerate.

Go for it Miruyu. Even if you're never called upon, it's worth it just having your name on the list. The more names on the list, the better the odds of someone, somewhere needing help.

miyuru

I like helping out, I'm a member of the Red Cross actually (donate $15/month).

I'll check it out. I mean if it regenerates, I don't think it'd be too big a deal. Right? Any short-term effects? Sorry, I'm just a little antsy.

miyuru

Terribly sorry to hear that man :(

The only leukemia-related deaths I've heard of are always of younger people...really really horrible :(

Richiban

miyuru said:
Any short-term effects? Sorry, I'm just a little antsy.

The only short term side effect is that should you have to give marrow, your back is sore for about a week or so.

That's really about it.

There's no reason to be antsy. It's all good!

Pachinko

I think you'd be sore for more then just a week if they actually do a spinal tap to get the stuff, , in fact I'd say you'd be unable to work for 2 weeks. But on the plus side it could mean someone else gets to live another 10-15 years, especially good if its a family member or loved one. I'm pretty paranoid about this kind of stuff so I can't say I'd list myself in a database to help out people I don't know but if it came down to it for a freind or family , of course.

miyuru

Nah man, if you were chosen for a transplant, I'm sure you'd do it whether you know them or not, once you know how much you'll be helping whoever.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
leukemia is a horrible disease... i was friends with a girl in elementary school who had it. she was such a sweetheart... unfortunately we lost touch when i moved away. i still wonder about her pretty often.

this donating sounds interesting. i like to help out too... but i'm guessing you most likely have to be 18 to sign up? :(

miyuru

According to the site Richiban linked, you have to be between 17 to 50. We should go for it, I don't see the harm. It's so hard to get people involved like this, it's a shame isn't it? They should make it mandatory or something upon birth to get your data into a registry, and then that way if they ever need you, they can at least notify you and you'd get the choice. IMO that'd work out much better, because I'm sure people would be more willing to save someone's life if they were asked to, rather than asking them to join a registry, y'know?

It's called motivational relevance, where we might believe in something, though our behaviours won't always reflect our attitudes unless something occurs that's relevent enough for us to actually act.

Arrrgh, damn psych, it's pretty useful :p (well, for labelling common sense with scientific terminology :lol).

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
miyuru said:
According to the site Richiban linked, you have to be between 17 to 50. We should go for it, I don't see the harm. It's so hard to get people involved like this, it's a shame isn't it? They should make it mandatory or something upon birth to get your data into a registry, and then that way if they ever need you, they can at least notify you and you'd get the choice. IMO that'd work out much better, because I'm sure people would be more willing to save someone's life if they were asked to, rather than asking them to join a registry, y'know?

It's called motivational relevance, where we might believe in something, though our behaviours won't always reflect our attitudes unless something occurs that's relevent enough for us to actually act.

Arrrgh, damn psych, it's pretty useful :p (well, for labelling common sense with scientific terminology :lol).

i'm 17... i just looked at the US site, though (http://www.marrow.org) and they say you must be 18 to be on the list. dang, and i used to live in canada too :p i'll be 18 in a few months, though, and i will definitely have to look into this again.

and i agree with you 100% miyuru. it takes nothing at all to sign up and you can give your healthy bone marrow to someone who really needs it. i hadn't even really heard a lot about this or had any idea what it involved until i looked into it just now... so i'm sure a lot of other people don't know about it either.

Richiban

Put it this way fellas,

Had someone not donated marrow, I would have been an orphan when I was 15.

I would never consider putting another human being in that position...ever.

I'm just ashamed it took 7 years for me to get on the list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom