• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery's Lead Is Spock's Half-Sister

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I...eh. Let's wait and see

But I would liked it better without any deeper connection like sisters or brothers of already established characters. Now she'll be compared to Spock a lot imho. Why can't she be her own thing without the weight of such a HUGE character?

I was going to make a joke that Vulcans don't understand human naming conventions but Michael can be used as a girl's name. I've only seen Micheal.

Kimaka

I guess it was too much to hope they would keep the TOS references to a minimum after they threw Sarek into the show. The universe is vast, they could have had a human raised the Vulcan way without making a direct link to Spock.

xandaca

I like the idea of a human raised by Vulcans, but having her be Spock's adopted sister seems a bit small world-y. The writers probably felt the need to cram established characters in there to reassure fans, but on first glance, that sort of tenuous connection isn't a favourite.

MartyStu

The idea of a human raised as a Vulcan is fascinating as a concept.

I love it enough to see it explored on tv. Regardless of dubious elements.

Wait what?

Isn't this supposed to be well before Spock and the time of the Enterprise?

How old is she supposed to be here, then? How much older than Spock is she?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I read that title too quickly on first glance and it looked like it said Spock's Hitler.... now that would have been something.

Sotha_Sil

I like the idea of a human raised by Vulcans, but having her be Spock's adopted sister seems a bit small world-y. The writers probably felt the need to cram established characters in there to reassure fans, but on first glance, that sort of tenuous connection isn't a favourite.

Exactly. It's making a hook where one isn't needed. I suppose they want to do a Quinto cameo at some point.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Surprising explanation below:

Kirk: "Spock, why did you never mention you are related to a Starfleet Captain before?"
Spock: :raised brow: "You never asked Captain."

s_mirage

FFS, why? This is yet another example of this annoying trend that writers seem to go for these days: things can't just happen, characters can't just be their own character, no, everything has to be connected.

FyreWulff

FFS, why? This is yet another example of this annoying trend that writers seem to go for these days: things can't just happen, characters can't just be their own character, no, everything has to be connected.

reminds me of when all characters in star wars fiction had full names and background explaning why they were a force user even though they were on the screen for 3 seconds as they walked past Luke

Ashby

She. Is. Not. His. Sibling. Sarek was referred to as a "mentor" and "surrogate father" to Burnham during the SDCC panel yesterday. It's likely closest to a student-teacher relationship. Sarek may not have even mentioned her to Spock.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'd be more satisfied with a T'pol descendant than a Spock relative when it comes to retconning things.

I'm still holding out for a T'Pol cameo in the premiere.
It'll never happen. Jolene Blalock was probably very glad to be done with Star Trek; her criticisms of Enterprise, especially its finale, were considerable.

NathanS

Yeah it's not like Spock has ever had a sibling he's never discussed before. Overreaction in this thread.

Yes and we all remember how good that movie was...

This is some classic fanfic Mary Sue stuff, like the sort of the thing the original Mary Sue made fun of for being down all the time by shit fanfics that made the universe super small and had no imagination.

MC Safety

I don't like it when spin-offs feel they have to tie themselves to the main series in order to be interesting or have a sense of legitimacy. There is no good reason for Spock to have a half-sister but here we are anyways. Bad, pointless retcon.

Yeah, I agree. The show already has ties to a noted franchise.

I really wish they didn't make this a prequel, should be set after Voyager. I'm going to dislike the retreads.
It's endlessly frustrating that it seems like we'll never get something post-Voyager. The retreading of the original series era or variations of its timeline, are getting well past old.

It's endlessly frustrating that it seems like we'll never get something post-Voyager. The retreading of the original series era or variations of its timeline, are getting well past old.
It was an obvious consequence of the reboots. While it may not take place in that universe, they obviously did it for the current mindshare. Even anticipating the move, it's still disappointing. Enemy Klingons hasn't been done to death at all, there's no new stories to be told I guess.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I dig the wilder edge to space in the pre-TNG eras, even though the TNG era (well, specifically DS9) is my favorite chapter of the lore.

I'm looking forward to that feeling of wilderness and a rougher-around-the-edges "cowboy diplomacy" resurfacing, even though I agree that, yes, post-Voyager would have been better.

Won

On one side I would rather have them not touch anything connected to Nimoy.

On the other side, if that's what the writers need to not end up another snorefest of a crew like Enterprise, go for it.

s_mirage

On the other side, if that's what the writers need to not end up another snorefest of a crew like Enterprise, go for it.

Enterprise was boring because Enterprise was boring (the first two season at least). T'Pol being Spock's aunt or something wouldn't have changed that. Somehow making new characters be connected to old characters doesn't instantly improve the show, and to be honest I'd argue that it actually makes the showrunners look less than confident that the show can sell itself.

I'm really not a fan of connecting shows/movies through retcons, making characters look like chosen ones, etc. It usually feels utterly uncreative and redundant.

Jedi2016

This strikes me as an extremely poor cop-out, a desperate attempt to create some link to TOS Trek so fans will give a shit. Instead of just, you know... making a good Trek show that can actually stand on its own right.

It's like all they know how to do anymore are remakes and reboots and homages... not an original thought in their head. Trek can exist without referencing other Trek shows.

Top Bottom