• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery's Lead Is Spock's Half-Sister

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This strikes me as an extremely poor cop-out, a desperate attempt to create some link to TOS Trek so fans will give a shit. Instead of just, you know... making a good Trek show that can actually stand on its own right.

It's like all they know how to do anymore are remakes and reboots and homages... not an original thought in their head. Trek can exist without referencing other Trek shows.

This is precisely why the conflict with the Klingons as the central premise for the show is such a red siren for me. We know exactly where that goes historically, and it goes in very satisfying directions. Kirk's relationship with establishing peace with the Klingons is like one of the best things about Trek narratively. I don't know what you could possibly get out of mining it further

gun_haver

I'm gonna watch this regardless, but pretty much everything about the direction they are taking sounds kind of boring to me. Prequel (been done), contriving links with the TOS cast now (been done), Klingons being the primary adversary (been done). Seems like it's all been done, would have been cool to see a show where you really don't know where it's going and you are learning about new species, etc.

Of course it could still be good despite all of this, like with anything it depends on how it is done, so really there's no point in judging it before I see it. I don't like the trailer that just came out very much, it's kind of cheesey and mainstream, so that's another thing. If I wasn't just generally up for any space themed or Star Trek TV show I would probably forget it existed, so it's getting me to watch just on genre and franchise recognition I suppose, for now. Hope it turns out better than it is looking right now.

For a emotionless Vulcan, Sarek sure loves fucking.

They already shoehorned in a half brother once. Half sister? Sure. Whatever. I probably would have just gone with adopted sister maybe to avoid more canon fuckery

obin_gam

I wonder if sometimes, the executives and showrunners, in their beds, roll around, not being able to sleep, and think to themselves "Damn, we should have put it way way after the shows instead of shoehorning it inbetween...."

SRG01

They already shoehorned in a half brother once. Half sister? Sure. Whatever. I probably would have just gone with adopted sister maybe to avoid more canon fuckery

She is adopted, as she's 100% human and was raised by Sarek after her father died.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Yeah... I'm not sure here. This is what I transcribed apropos to TrekMovie's liveblog tweets:

Sonequa is saying she loves Michelle Yeoh. Describes Burnham's and Georgeou's relationship as "close." Burnham's parents were killed; Sarek is surrogate father. In turn, he committed her to Georgeou.

Something is wrong here, either with TrekMovie's and TrekCore's accounting of the liveblog or with the phrasing of whoever runs the show's official twitter account (which was then latched-onto by ComicBook.com and ScreenRant.com).

Ashby

Yeah... I'm not sure here. This is what I transcribed apropos to TrekMovie's liveblog tweets:

Something is wrong here, either with TrekMovie's and TrekCore's accounting of the liveblog or with the phrasing of whoever runs the show's official twitter account (which was then latched-onto by ComicBook.com and ScreenRant.com).

https://twitter.com/StarTrekRoom/status/888930746718502915

Apparently not half sister, but raised by Derek and Amanda.

It was directly refuted by the official Star Trek Writing Staff twitter account which the above poster linked to. This thread is a real showcase of people not reading anything beyond the thread title before posting.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Folks, it's confirmed not true. She's adopted by Sarek for a time after he rescues her when she's a child, but she's not related to Spock at all.

Vulcans become crazy sex fiends every 7 years. And they live for like 200 years so they probably have a lot of kids. Guinan has been married 32 times and has a lot of kids. And shes probably horny as anyone else.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I'm really fucking sick of how important they've made Spock. Why can't they just let this character be her own person? Everything doesn't have to tie back to characters we've already seen. Ugh.

This is precisely why the conflict with the Klingons as the central premise for the show is such a red siren for me. We know exactly where that goes historically, and it goes in very satisfying directions. Kirk's relationship with establishing peace with the Klingons is like one of the best things about Trek narratively. I don't know what you could possibly get out of mining it further

On this point I'm reminded why it sucks so much that we don't see anything post Voyager.

With how far technology was supposed to have come thanks to future meddling at the end of voyager and all that captured borg tech, it'd be a great setup. There would be lots of reasons for an internal conflict within Starfleet. Make a series that takes place 100 years later, after a civil war (showing even future humanity can always succumb to temptation if they let themselves). This way a new series could still remain above petty wars and about bettering everyone, but it'd work as a decent reset button.

It'd give a great way to put a new spin on old allies and nemesis. Think instead of the Klingons taking advantage of a weakened Starfleet, aiding them in maintaining their stability. It would show how much the Klingons have grown as a people, but still allow them to stand by their warrior traditions. A believable shift in paradigm after 200 years interacting with the federation.

And that'd just be the tip of the iceberg. So much can be done post-TNG... But instead they'd rather wallow in the least interesting timeline with things we've seen time and time again.

Sigh... But I'll still give Discovery a chance... I'm just waiting to be disappointed.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'm still holding out for a T'Pol cameo in the premiere.
It'll never happen. Jolene Blalock was probably very glad to be done with Star Trek; her criticisms of Enterprise, especially its finale, were considerable.

This is sad because I think her role was one of the highlights in Enterprise. Some interesting development and some really nice humour. I don't quite get why a new series needs any kind of personal relationship between new and known characters, but it will probably not hurt the series either (adopted or half sister does not make a difference, either).

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
STOP getting news from ComicBook, ComicBookNews, or ScreenRant.

Just stop!

They are not your friends!

They want to hurt you!

tumblr_inline_o2tblvnBJ41r4fbq9_500.gif

This is sad because I think her role was one of the highlights in Enterprise. Some interesting development and some really nice humour. I don't quite get why a new series needs any kind of personal relationship between new and known characters, but it will probably not hurt the series either (adopted or half sister does not make a difference, either).

T'Pol is my favorite character on that show by a country mile. Granted, I'm of the opinion there isn't much else to pick from. Trip, Hoshi, and Reed are alright. Shran, Degra, Soval and Forrest are all recurring characters I probably prefer over anyone not named T'Pol, though.

Not

Banned
Oh OK, so she's not Vulcan, just raised by one.

By the way, Kurtzman is a hack and I don't have good feelings about this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Or just because he never felt the need to mention it. What logical purpose would there be to randomly mentioning it?
With Sybok, you could argue that he was a disappointment who was disowned by the family.

If she really is his sister, it's just weird. Hell, why doesn't movie Spock check to see if his sister's alive after Vulcan is destroyed?

During the time frame of the show Spock is already serving on the Enterprise with Pike right?

I know they are updating the visual canon, that's fine, but I hate the new looks of the Klingons, and while the show looks like a fun Sci-FI story, not really feeling the Trek of it all.

As for Spock's adoptive sister, I dunno, but guys when you're writing a prequel or adding to a long established canon, maybe it's better to you know think REAL hard before using tropes made famous in bad fan fiction.

We'll see.

LQX

I'm just glad a new Star Trek is coming back to TV. Not getting why anyone that loves Star Trek is bent out of shape before the thing even airs considering it has been so long since a new series. Think of the possibilities.

Folks, it's confirmed not true. She's adopted by Sarek for a time after he rescues her when she's a child, but she's not related to Spock at all.
Who cares about this difference? Adopted sister real sister it's still a dumb addition for no reason other than "hey look, we are connected to that thing you like".

yamo

Turns out she also built Data to help out her mother.
XD best comment.

I really hate how the star wars movies try to cram in every character they can from the original trilogy in all the prequels and sequels. It's like they don't have any confidence in the quality of the movie so they just fill it with stupid fan service and nostalgia.

jelly

XD best comment.

I really hate how the star wars movies try to cram in every character they can from the original trilogy in all the prequels and sequels. It's like they don't have any confidence in the quality of the movie so they just fill it with stupid fan service and nostalgia.

Yeah, sticks out like a sore thumb. Rogue One went to town with that.

Morts

As far as we know Sarek and Amanda raised this girl for a few years after Spock was off at Starfleet Academy. Nobody is saying they grew up together.

Vulcans become crazy sex fiends every 7 years. And they live for like 200 years so they probably have a lot of kids. Guinan has been married 32 times and has a lot of kids. And shes probably horny as anyone else.

I forgot once every 7 years Vulcans need a night of the nastiest sex to keep their cool

Star Trek can get weird.

You just know they'll pull some "No THIS was the real reason that peace talks began" nonsense.

Syriel

Ehhhh... A bit necessary, but not deal-breaker.

This move makes Sarek more personally invested into her life/career, which can raise tensions in the show a bit, which can be a good news.

This is probably the reason for the tie-in.

Otherwise, why would Sarek have any interest in a random Starfleet officer?

Top Bottom