• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Discovery: SDCC 2017 Trailer

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Links to the SDCC Trailer

Via Streamable

Official YouTube link

Alternate YouTube link

Composer Announcement: Jeff Russo

Wikipedia article on Russo.

He mostly does ambient, sound design scores, like Legion, Fargo and The Night Of.

250+ Trailer Screencaps

Via TrekCore

Comprehensive Trailer Breakdown

Also via TrekCore

New Poster

sdcc17-dscimages-03.jpg

New Pics

sdcc17-dscimages-05.jpg

sdcc17-dscimages-01.jpg

sdcc17-dscimages-04.jpg

sdcc17-dscimages-06.jpg

DFX2SSEVoAILkrS.jpg

Transcript of the SDCC Panel Highlights
(Note: I transcribed this during the twitter updates from TrekMovie, so it's possible I misquoted things here and there. Hopefully just minor content.)

Panel opened with a trailer; hopefully we'll see it soon. Currently, Kurtzman is talking about how it's 2017 so they can't do TOS sets anymore but they can be totally respectful of the origins and follow canon. Also, Sonequa got a massive applause.

Isaacs is saying Lorca differs from other main captains in that he's "probably more fucked up."

I'll keep updating this post 'til someone else posts, so that I'm not doubling and tripling up.

Rainn Wilson's talking about how there was some online backlash to the diversity, but that's always been something Trek's had to handle. Own it, basically, is what I think he's probably saying. I wouldn't know for sure. I'm not there. Oh Prophets, you are so cruel to me sometimes.

Lots of talk right now about diversity and the importance of reflecting that. The usual Trek rhetoric. By no means bad -- goodness, no -- but nothing they haven't spoken about at-length previously.

Gretchen Berg is now saying the Klingons will speak Klingon and their culture will be expanded. "They're not the thugs of the universe." Not sure if that's a straight quote or a TrekMovie paraphrase. Klingons will be subtitled, apparently. Oh, whoa. That's actually pretty awesome.

(Doesn't look like the trailer's up yet. I keep refreshing Google search query "Star Trek Discovery" every 30 seconds, lmao. I'll try to throw that new topic up as soon as it's available, but if someone beats me to the punch, cool.)

Akiva Goldsman, Exec Producer, went to a Trek con as a teen way back in '76. A legitimate Trekkie.

Doug Jones is prancing around imitating Saru. As a Kelpian, his feet are on hooves. He's 6'8" in the show. There's a little vid of him waltzing back and forth on TrekMovie's twitter. It's darling. He says his costume's snug. He said the costumers wanted to pad it because of his flat butt but he told them that'd make him too human.

Aaron Harberts: trying to show how conflict is solved by peace. Some mistakes along the way. End of day it's about understanding each other.

Heather Kadin is talking about how the story continues through the 15-episode first season. Anthony Rapp is saying Wilson Cruz will be his character's love interest in the show. I think he means the actor Wilson Cruz?

Anthony Rapp now reciting exomycology technobabble. (That'll win new fans.)

Sonequa is saying she loves Michelle Yeoh. Describes Burnham's and Georgeou's relationship as "close." Burnham's parents were killed; Sarek is surrogate father. In turn, he committed her to Georgeou.

James Frain says it's exploration of who Sarek was in his youth. Fascinating for a Vulcan to marry a Human. Frain says Sarek's Burnham's mentor. He says his character is "fascinating and complex."

Kurtzman: "We're aware Spock's stepsister isn't canon. Be patient with us." Also, he likes Trek more than Wars. ...lol.

Musician announcement: Jeff Russo is the composer. Previous work includes Fargo.

Kurtzman: "There are big reveals at several points through the course of the season. I think you'll find a lot of surprises along the way."

Talking about casting Sonequa now. Same stuff we've heard before; they knew she was Burnham when they saw her, they waited for her to wrap on TWD, etc. Rainn Wilson says she's one of the kindest, most radiant and graceful people he's met. Sonequa, in turn, is saying the cast has quickly become very cohesive. They value the story, the show, and each other.

A couple of things from Goldsman; I'll just copy/paste these:

There has always been conflict in Trek. Search for solution that is not dystopian, but utopian #SDCC2017 #StarTrekDiscovery

Despite how disparate cultures, formation of family unifies. You can chase companionship/belonging #SDCC2017 #StarTrekDiscovery

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Getting video not available.

Region locked?

Argh, damn it, I hate when that happens. Can confirm it still seems to work for me.

Anyway, I've been transcribing TrekMovie's tweets from the SDCC panel. I'm going to amend the OP with the stuff we heard and I'll add a link to a better, less region-specific trailer ASAP.

Just watched it.

From a superficial marketing standpoint: plinky piano sad cover pop song superhero landing etc etc.

From a visual standpoint: This is a very expensive looking television show. It's pretty as hell.

(my stance that this is basically Kelvinverse in everything but name stays solid)

Still aren't getting any clear/solid shots of the Discovery, it seems.

Sounds like our lead here is responsible for sparking Federation/Klingon hostilities.

Also I'd forgotten fucking HARRY MUDD is in this.

antonz

Visually its looking fantastic. The new take on Klingons though stand out like sore thumbs after so long established in a specific fashion

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Damn, they really did throw a decent amount of money at this. Looks good.

Song choice kinda sucks, and I think the trailer is a little too chaotic for its own good. I have no idea what the selling point of this series is other than NEW Star Trek. But otherwise I'm interested.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Added my why-did-I-type-all-this transcript of the live blog's tweets, and I'll be adding the new pics as TrekMovie makes them available. Harry Mudd's up there for now.

Kevin

Wow this looks epic as heck! Like a blockbuster movie epic. Everything looks really good and the scope for this show is just massive. To say that I am incredibly hyped would be an understatement. This looks like it's going to deliver big time!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
"I'm Mad"

"I'm Mud"

Yeesh

It does look great visually, very well produced but I'm not feeling certain aspects and wasn't sure exactly what kid of show this was going to be from the way the trailer is cut. Lots of dramatic lines, explosions and some light world building/lore.

Rootbeer

Banned
I read an article that says episodes will be streaming on Netflix within 24 hours of them appearing on CBS All Access... except if you are in the USA/Canada, where you can only get them on CBS All Access...

Sorry but that fucking sucks.

I hope they change it? I just saw them upload this new trailer on the official USA Netflix yt channel... but it won't play, gives region error.

Jackpot

Banned
Looks nice but none of those Klingon ships look right. What they remind me of most are the spaceships from the Transformers movies.

Kevin

I read an article that says episodes will be streaming on Netflix within 24 hours of them appearing on CBS All Access... except if you are in the USA/Canada, where you can only get them on CBS All Access...

Sorry but that fucking sucks.

I hope they change it? I just saw them upload this new trailer on the official USA Netflix yt channel... but it won't play, gives region error.

Yes the entire world, 188 countries or something like that has access to it on Netflix except for the US who is forced to pay for another platform. Shitty! I'll pay because it looks epic as hell and I want to support this show but it sucks that they are forcing Americans to subscribe to a new platform while everyone else can just watch on Netflix.

Effect

Really enjoyed this new trailer. Finally some good shots of the ships. Some new story info as well. Okay CBS I'll subscribe. The streaming quality of the rest of the Trek shows on the service had better good though until this starts to be released.

This is prime timeline, right?

Yup. Story wise it's the prime timeline. Visually though everything appears to be updated or changed.

Wow, that looks fucking terrible.

It's just a super serious straight forward humorless conflict between Humans and Aliens? That looked generic and cliched as hell.

I thought the pushing daises dude was involved during most of the creation? Why does it looks so devoid of humor, charm or spark? Wheres the adventure? Seems like the whole first season is going to be this crap. Well, I hope I'm wrong. I love Trek, especially TOS. I think anyone who loves TOS, would find this trailer disappointing and completely uninspiring.

The leads don't appear to be a good combination either. And zero images of new worlds and insane adventures. Future doesn't look good for this one.

Honestly, this is a really good trailer and kind of makes me pumped even more for the new series. Glad we saw more of Jason Isaacs.

Won

It's Star Trek and it looks pretty so I'm gonna watch it, otherwise I wouldn't bother with such a trailer. Ugh.

Top Bottom