• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery Will Include Tribbles Because, At This Point, Sure, Why Not?

Please, no.

Code:
[IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/bd3e657cd2b80c512e41833848b1398a/tumblr_o0t1oqS9Rj1rlpicfo1_500.gif[/IMG]

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Star Trek: Discovery, a weird conglomeration of good impulses and bad choices. What is it about Tribbles that everyone feels the need to include them in their prequels?

At a press conference, executive producer Alex Kurtzman teased the return of the furry balls with ”Yes, Tribbles, yes." Which is blatant fanservice, yes, but also not the good kind. Prequels keep trotting out Tribbles and, were I a Tribble, I would be very concerned by all this slandering of my people.

Tribbles are beloved because because original appearance—and the first time the Federation encountered them—remains one of the gold-standard original series episodes. Tribbles transcend Star Trek to be something instantly recognizable. And, being round balls of fuzz that can be easily inserted into the background of anything and popular with fans and regular people alike, they keep popping up.

Was it kind of cute when Scotty had one in a cage in Star Trek (2009)? Sure. Was it annoying when they popped up in Enterprise season 2? Yes. Was the magic, bring-back-to-life Tribble blood actually a hell that I am still living in? YES. Was Alex Kurtzman involved in those last two? *Screams ”Yes" endlessly into the void*

Stop putting things in prequels simply for the recognition factor. We have Amanda, Sarek, and Harry Mudd already popping up in Discovery. We do not need Tribbles. Plus, this show is heavily invested into delving into the history of Klingons, and their relationship with Tribbles is not known for its dignity.

In a recently published interview with EW, former Discovery showrunner Bryan Fuller described his original view of Discovery. It was, according to that article, ”multiple serialized anthology shows that would begin with Star Trek: Discovery (a prequel to Star Trek: The Original Series), journey through the eras of Captain James T. Kirk and Captain Jean Luc Picard, and then go beyond to a time in Trek that's never been seen before." ”Never seen before" is a key phrase there as it screams invention and exploration—key Star Trek values. This recycling of old things is not that. Another idea that CBS reportedly tossed was a ”heavily allegorical and complex storyline." Or, you know, we could have Tribbles instead.

I love Tribbles. I own too many expensive balls of fur sold to me by Star Trek booths. But, please, god, not here. No more. This far and no further.

aliengmr

tumblr_ny8f4uF0J41ueufq0o1_400.gif

So it's going to be the great Klingon crusade against the Tribbles and the sacking of the Tribble homeworld.

That's what I heard. Crazy that they had edited all of tng on low res video after transferring the film.

It's true that ds9 shared the same editing pipeline?

Yes but the effects shots were CG from season 3 until the end of the series unlike TNG which used models throughout. So you'd need to reedit all the footage and then basically remake all the CG effects shots.

OmegaFax

Ovek

7Member7
ST: Discovery looks.... very serious, I don't see how the light hearted Tribbles will fit in.

Meh still going in open minded, shame io9 seems to have some sort of bizarre grudge against Discovery with their current reporting.

Fox Mulder

I just feel nothing for this show. I don't even want to sign up for another streaming service.

That's what I heard. Crazy that they had edited all of tng on low res video after transferring the film.

Yes. DS9 and Voyager would cost a fuckload to remaster because they were finished on videotape like TNG. They also used lots of cgi they may not even have assets to anymore.

TNG blurays sold like shit after all their work as well.

OmegaFax

ST: Discovery looks.... very serious, I don't see how the light hearted Tribbles will fit in.

Meh still going in open minded, shame io9 seems to have some sort of bizarre grudge against Discovery with their current reporting.

There were Tribbles in Star Trek into Darkness. McCoy was injecting Khan's blood into them.

I was watching a YouTube video from Midnight's Edge. They broke down a series of points about the 2009 Trek's derivative license, how everything had to be different, and a point on the Tribbles needing to be licensed separately because they were from the TV show.

Going to take it with a grain of salt but if it's true, Tribbles seem like a very token thing to license and throw into the series to make it more Trek-like.

I saw that DS9 tribble episode for the first time a few weeks ago and it was damn good. Was surprised how nicely the TOS and DS9 footage meshed.

I hope Discovery impresses but I dunno. Announcing they are having tribbles in advance feels a bit try-hard to me.

They should just replace the entire cast with Tribbles

and all the ships

and all the sets

Just 15 hours of Tribbles emoting at each other, it would save a lot of money.

They managed to shoe horn Harry Mudd in there...

nOoblet16

DS9 tribble episode was good fun, plus Terry Farrel in was 😍. I only watched DS9 last year for the first time and I guess you could say she's my retroactive adolescent crush..lol

It was standard practice to do post process on tape rather than the original film. This is because it would've been needlessly expensive for something that people wouldn't have been able to benefit from for atleast another 15 years or so i.e. widescreen and HD resolution. Widescreen is about the only thing TNG loses out due to that process since the effects were all retouched and updated for HD. Infact the aspect ratio is the reason why Enterprise-D is a tall ship (due to 4:3) and why Enterprise-E is a long and sleek ship that's not as tall (due to 16:9).

nOoblet16

The original CG assets still exist for Deep Space Nine. They might touch up and rerender everything but it won't be nearly as drastic as starting from scratch.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/05/deep-space-nine-in-high-definition-one-step-closer/
The problem is that DS9 is a spin off series that never had the popularity and even if they re-release it today it won't do even half the numbers of TNG remaster. And that might be the reason why Paramount doesn't want to do anything to it.

On a more positive note DS9 holds up quite well even at SD. More so than any other Trek ever did. I watched it on Netflix and it looked very well and despite the fact that it wasn't HAD, nor did it have updated effects like TNG it felt like it was on par. Perhaps due to its art direction and the relatively more modern nature of it?

ckohler

tumblr_ny8f4uF0J41ueufq0o1_400.gif

So it's going to be the great Klingon crusade against the Tribbles and the sacking of the Tribble homeworld.

Two interesting things about that scene:

1) It canonizes the difference in appearance between the Klingons from TOS and TNG.
2) That difference would later go on to be explained in the episode ENT: Affliction

nOoblet16

Two interesting things about that scene:

1) It canonizes the difference in appearance between the Klingons from TOS and TNG.
2) That difference would later go on to be explained in the episode ENT: Affliction
Yea it was a good way to tie everything up, especially because it also ties into the human augments to explain it. Imo it was well done and those two episodes were good too.

Yet now we have Klingons in Discovery looking neither like the mutated Klingons, not like the normal Klingons but a new type that we have never seen before or mentioned before and apparently there's a reason for it -_-

The difference between Klingons in TOS and Star Trek VI/TNG was down to makeup/costume and production values and their design has been acceptable since TNG era without a need for a redesign. In terms of continuity they managed to somehow dig themselves out of a hole, only for them to dig a new hole with this new look in Discovery. I mean they don't ever redesign the Vulcans, Romulans or the Andorians to this extent do they? So why keep redesigning Klingons? Especially considering they are one of the most common races seen in Trek.

Morts

This sounds like nothing. They'll probably have a tribble in the background of some scene. Why does everyone assume the worst about every nugget of information about this show?

antonz

The problem is that DS9 is a spin off series that never had the popularity and even if they re-release it today it won't do even half the numbers of TNG remaster. And that might be the reason why Paramount doesn't want to do anything to it.

On a more positive note DS9 holds up quite well even at SD. More so than any other Trek ever did. I watched it on Netflix and it looked very well and despite the fact that it wasn't HAD, nor did it have updated effects like TNG it felt like it was on par. Perhaps due to its art direction and the relatively more modern nature of it?

On top of DS9 never reaching the popularity of TNG streaming services are a huge issue. Unless Netflix or someone is willing to pay the bill there really is no reason to spend a lot of money on HD versions for Blu ray or whatever.

HD TNG hitting Streaming services as fast as it did for sure did major harm to any sales potential of the sets

Effect

It's a Tribble. Not like it would be a big focus. Think of the plushy money they could make off it though if they give it a cute enough scene. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why it shows up. I know some are out there, they're not hard to make since they're just balls of hair but they'd need a push in something modern.

This sounds like nothing. They'll probably have a tribble in the background of some scene. Why does everyone assume the worst about every nugget of information about this show?

The writer of this article has been doing it for a while. I mean, be agnostic and take the information as it comes to you, but they seem to take every little piece of Discovery news and... write something like this about it. It's kind of tiresome.

Just wait until the show premieres. If it sucks, it sucks. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

Top Bottom