• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Discovery: SDCC 2017 Trailer

True. There could be a LOT more there given CBS's catalog and their should be more of some stuff that is there. They need to improve this greatly.

For me I think it might be worth the price to have access to so much Star Trek. It's suppose to be like $6 a month?

It looks like the plans are:

Limited Commercial
$5.99 a month or $59.99 for a year

Commercial Free
$9.99 a month or $99.99

Unless you're trying to watch on iOS where you get screwed and have to pay more at $6.99 and $11.99.

Kimaka

Although it looks visually great, I wish they put in more of a effort to make it look like it was in the prime timeline.

Syriel

Limited Commercial

Commercial Free
$9.99 a month or $99.99

Unless you're trying to watch on iOS where you get screwed and have to pay more at $6.99 and $11.99.

Dat Apple tax.

The cult of Mac needs its cut of every sale. ;)

WillyFive

Looks like a SyFy show trying to recreate JJ Trek, and having a tough time doing it. First seasons of Trek shows tend to be really poor, so I hope it can make it. Still not interested in it taking place in the Prime universe (and being a prequel at that), and the art style is not good at all, but glad Trek will be on TV again soon.

This is coming to Netflix the day after each episodes air, right?

Only outside the USA. Inside the USA you will only be able to watch it on CBS All Access, a pay streaming service. Outside the USA it will be available on Netflix within 24 hours of the episode going up on CBS All Access.

They are airing 6 episodes then taking a break over winter then airing the remaining 7.

Netflix's buy apparently covers almost all the production budget which is good and bad news. It means CBS doesn't have to pay a whole lot to get this up. It also however means if Netflix decides that Star Trek didn't do anything for its sub numbers or retention and they pass on a season 2, there wouldn't really be anything to hold the show up.

Elandyll

Banned
It looks nice actually.

But ... how on Earth is this supposed to be 10 years -before- TOS, even in the Kelvin timeline?

This makes no sense, tech and design wise.

Morts

sounds like they're pushing the American audience towards piracy.

who's gonna pay that monthly fee for one show?

I'm doing that for GoT right now. Once the season's over I'll cancel HBO and get CBS. Repeat next year.

Even when you add in buying season passes for a few other cable shows from Amazon it's still cheaper than cable.

It looks nice actually.

But ... how on Earth is this supposed to be 10 years -before- TOS, even in the Kelvin timeline?

This makes no sense, tech and design wise.

The TOS movies dont look ANYTHING like the TV show and similarly they are only set a few years apart in the timeline.

Trying to line up or somehow justify in canon why TOS looks like a 1960's TV show with cheap cardboard sets is a fools errand

Effect

Only outside the USA. Inside the USA you will only be able to watch it on CBS All Access, a pay streaming service. Outside the USA it will be available on Netflix within 24 hours of the episode going up on CBS All Access.

They are airing 6 episodes then taking a break over winter then airing the remaining 7.

Netflix's buy apparently covers almost all the production budget which is good and bad news. It means CBS doesn't have to pay a whole lot to get this up. It also however means if Netflix decides that Star Trek didn't do anything for its sub numbers or retention and they pass on a season 2, there wouldn't really be anything to hold the show up.

Yeah this continues to be my concern. The show could be really good but if Netflix doesn't feel their subscription numbers are increasing enough it could be bad. Maybe they'll look at viewership, maybe they won't. At that point CBS has to find another funding source. Or maybe it gets put on CBS itself then put on their streaming service afterward. So potentially the show doesn't have to go away but budget wise it could take a major hit.

So I'm hoping at the very least this season is good regardless.

I do think CBS needs to do a better job of making it clear their service isn't only through an phone app. I'm seeing some seem to think that. Not that you can access it from their website. That it's also likely available on different streaming boxes. It's not just a phone thing. Then again maybe they are and it's those people I'm seeing that are assuming that for some reason.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The TOS movies dont look ANYTHING like the TV show and similarly they are only set a few years apart in the timeline.

Trying to line up or somehow justify in canon why TOS looks like a 1960's TV show with cheap cardboard sets is a fools emend.

Yep.

Even then Enterprise went through great pains to put in some dials and buttons to make it look more primitive than the USS Enterprise. I love the interior design of that ship.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

Minor nitpicky correction: it's 8 episodes and then 7 after break now. There's a total of 15 in the first season; they added 2 more.

Effect

Limited Commercial

Commercial Free
$9.99 a month or $99.99

I hope those commercials are before and after the episode. It's going to suck if they appear in the middle as I doubt these episodes are being film in such a way to account for a commercial break. If so I hope they pick decent spots for them to appear.

Trying to line up or somehow justify in canon why TOS looks like a 1960's TV show with cheap cardboard sets is a fools emend.

lol I remember one of those old technical books (might have been Mr Scott's Guide to the Enterprise) saying that the reason the refit Enterprise looked so different is that Starfleet didn't paint it! Imagine that.

Here's some pics of the Shenzhou:

20228874_1837663739595153_3776301788067882823_n.jpg

20155597_1837663899595137_1786094818917233151_n.jpg

Looks like the USS Centaur on steroids.

I thought Bobby was just talking nonsense, but this is visually stylized like Abrams' films. Damn.

I don't think you can make a Star Trek today that looks like how old-school Star Trek used to look. Audiences today won't stand for it.

It's weird that it looks like the Abrams universe but is set in the original universe but oh well.

DBT85

lol I remember one of those old technical books (might have been Mr Scott's Guide to the Enterprise) saying that the reason the refit Enterprise looked so different is that Starfleet didn't paint it! Imagine that.

Here's some pics of the Shenzhou:

20228874_1837663739595153_3776301788067882823_n.jpg

20155597_1837663899595137_1786094818917233151_n.jpg

Looks like the USS Centaur on steroids.

Now that is a Federation starship.

Special effects budget looks solid but the rest doesn't to me. Not feeling these first looks at the cast... And the Klingons look absolutely awful. Ugh.

If this does follow the prime timeline, then the Enterprise and other Constitution-class starships have already been operating for around 10 years by the time this story is supposed to take place. Maybe we'll get a glimpse of them?

brian577

Banned
I don't think you can make a Star Trek today that looks like how old-school Star Trek used to look. Audiences today won't stand for it.

It's weird that it looks like the Abrams universe but is set in the original universe but oh well.

The whole mistake was making it a prequel. Enterprise was able to squeak by on that but they don't have that luxury now. It should have been a sequel with a visual style distinctive form both Abrams and previous Trek series.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Shenzou looks legit federation. Like an evolution of the NX class.

That's one of my favorite geekier things about this production. I've always loved the NX class. Great to see the next show bounce ideas off of it. Same with the USS Franklin in Beyond. They're mining NX evolution for all it's worth.

DBT85

That's one of my favorite geekier things about this production. I've always loved the NX class. Great to see the next show bounce ideas off of it. Same with the USS Franklin in Beyond. They're mining NX evolution for all it's worth.

Yeah but then someone designed Discovery. :(

Yeah, I liked the Franklin's look. Prefer it to the Shenzhou, definitely.

I like how it seems to have literally been carved out of a hubcap.

maxresdefault.jpg

They really need to explain those Klingons beyond "lol stylistic choice".

They should be from a sleeper ship and be from before the time or the time of Kahless. Maybe the Neanderthal analog, the Fen'Ihri.

I don't think they're really gonna explain shit.

I'm not even mad, really. Just go for it, I guess. At this point either you're cool with it looking and sounding the way it does despite the timeline it's in, or you're holding out for one motherfucker of a penny drop that somehow makes all of this slot in perfectly

And considering who is running the show, I'm way more comfy just shrugging and saying "Let's get on with it" and chucking the canon out the window.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I don't think they're really gonna explain shit.

I'm not even mad, really. Just go for it, I guess. At this point either you're cool with it looking and sounding the way it does despite the timeline it's in, or you're holding out for one motherfucker of a penny drop that somehow makes all of this slot in perfectly

And considering who is running the show, I'm way more comfy just shrugging and saying "Let's get on with it" and chucking the canon out the window.

Same.

And honestly, I've had a nagging feeling for months now that we've already seen at least one or two Klingons that aren't from that alleged, hypothetical, not-confirmed-but-IMO-probable "ancient ship" or whatever, anyway. I bet we've seen someone from 2255, and they're just, straight-up, looking a lot like the rest of that redesigned pack.

I'm out then. The "action-packed" trailer and the apparent lack of care for canon at all kills this for me.

I'll wait until its cancelled and done and see what other canon hardcores say.

To me it's just a new take on Star Trek. Something's will be the same, so familiar but changed, but still playing with he same toy box.

Like Batman can be the Brave and the Bold cartoon, BTAS, Nolan take or Batman 89. All different but all still recognizably Batman.

Klingons could use a freshening up anyway.

breadtruck

Im iffy on the Klingon look, but this trailer looks really cool. I wasnt interested before, now Im for sure on-board to check it out.

I dont care about the canon. We dont need to worry about how the alternate-earth-space-nazis from TOS tie into this.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
OptimismCaptain.gif

6d621cb67ff916d5ddad3c8d500e04c8.jpg

I'm out then. The "action-packed" trailer and the apparent lack of care for canon at all kills this for me.

I'll wait until its cancelled and done and see what other canon hardcores say.

That's unfortunate. I would have enjoyed speaking with you about it if we watched it together. I hope this doesn't get cancelled; I intend to enjoy it, if it's good.

Rainn Wilson and the production values have me very interested

Hope there's a few side story episodes at least though

Edit: of course the trailer was going to be action packed lol, why are you guys acting surprised

Edit 2: also I agree with the redesign not being good but it's also fuller so whatever

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Edit 2: also I agree with the redesign not being good but it's also fuller so whatever

Not to reduce a fellow "this looks good" fan's desire to watch something I agree looks cool, but teeeechnically Fuller left like half a year ago, in case you hadn't heard? So it's currently impossible to predict how much of his influence remains here.

Top Bottom