• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Discovery: SDCC 2017 Trailer

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The Klingons from Enterprise, the TOS movies, TNG, DS9, and Voyager. Y'know, the ones from before, during, and after the time Discovery is set.

okay so the time before where they changed the look and then backfit a frankly kinda dumb plot reason for the change was fine because but changing the look now is not fine because

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Co-showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg, as well as EP Heather Kadin, spoke to TrekMovie at SDCC.

From Berg:

I feel like one of the themes we are exploring is universal and is a lesson I feel like as human beings we have to learn over and over again – is you think you know ‘the other,’ but you really don’t. You have to sort of cognitively re-frame or break or deviate from your own point of view to really understand. You have to forget what you knew before.

One of the big steps in that journey is how to understand yourself. You have to understand yourself before you can better see others. The show is called “Discovery” and it is called “Discovery” for a reason, because our characters are on a journey.

From Kadin:

And also we get to explore the importance of acceptance too. Because as Michael Burnham has this fall from grace and there are characters around her that are meeting her after the fact. They are making assumptions an assumption about her based on what they heard as opposed to being able to take her at face value

I think Mary Wiseman’s character [Ensign Tilly who revealed to TrekMovie that she is Burnham’s roommate on the U.S.S. Discovery] plays a huge role in that, in just the eagerness to be a friend and accepting. That is the message that we all need.

From Harberts:

We are also talking about not only war, but something that is really bubbling up in the United States right now, isolationism. Our country has so many different philosophies. Do we extend a hand? Do we shut it down? And that is also two viewpoints that are being expressed. The Klingons are not necessarily the Russians anymore. The Klingons – I think we will see far more in, frankly, people in the United States and different factions in the United States.

And that is not to say they are bad, but what we really wanted to do too is understand two differing points of view and really explore it. And I think when people look at the Klingons – I frankly love what they represent. Not in terms necessarily of all the messaging, but in terms of learning about them and learning why they are who they are and making sure they aren’t just the enemy.

And then finding a way to come together. How do we bring everyone back together? What do we do? What does it take? It is a big challenge for us, but that is what season one is all about.

http://trekmovie.com/2017/07/24/sdcc17-interview-star-trek-discovery-showrunners-on-why-the-klingons-arent-the-russians-anymore/

Kevin

My only concern for this show is that it seems entirely focused on just Klingons. I do hope we still get a variety of other races in the show as well and I hope that Klingons won't be the entire focus every single season.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I have a theory that the Klingon focus will decrease somewhat after the first season. No real evidence for it this early in the game, of course, but I suspect the 15-episode first season will triple down on them and then after that they'll be a big element but not the biggest.

Maybe the Romulans will get involved somehow in Season 2.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I have a theory that the Klingon focus will decrease somewhat after the first season. No real evidence for it this early in the game, of course, but I suspect the 15-episode first season will triple down on them and then after that they'll be a big element but not the biggest.

Maybe the Romulans will get involved somehow in Season 2.

If they touch on the Romulans they aren't suppose to see them or know it is them. Before they reappear in Balance of Terror in ToS, Romulans weren't supposed to have been seen or heard from since Starfleet and others went to war with them over a 100 years beforehand, after which the alliance that beat them became the Federation.

I'll always be disappointed Enterprise didn't get to do the Romulan war.

antonz

If they touch on the Romulans they aren't suppose to see them or know it is them. Before they reappear in Balance of Terror in ToS, Romulans weren't supposed to have been seen or heard from since Starfleet and others went to war with them over a 100 years beforehand, after which the alliance that beat them became the Federation.

I'll always be disappointed Enterprise didn't get to do the Romulan war.

Yep if they had to go backwards it would have been great to have an Early Federation/Earth-Romulan War focus. Could have had an Admiral Archer show up and all of that.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Nah, I'm still not liking this show for some reason, and this new trailer only reinforced that negative feeling for me. Sure, it looks very high production, but the feel of the show just isn't Star Trek to me. It looks and feels like some brand new sci fi series more than a Star Trek series to me.

If it was available to check out on Netflix in the USA then I'd consider watching it, but I have zero interest in paying to see what they've shown so far. None at all, and as a lifetime Star Trek fan who has watched all of the other series and films multiple times over, my disinterest even surprises me. I'd rather just watch the older series, hell I'm even more interested in fucking Orville than this!!!!

Ah well, I hope it does well.

Top Bottom