• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2016 Awards

Wagram

This should be a thread celebrating games, not complaining because your favorite isn't #1 or you disagree with #1. The community voted and therefore it is.

AHA-Lambda

I was on no one's affinity list

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F07%2FSupernatural-Dean.gif

The High Quality Award list is really good selection, and I need to get onto Fata Morgana now as soon as.

Hitman deserves higher. It's player agency is unmatched by just about everything else in the top 10 and its a better game than most of them too.

Fair enough.

I'm not saying it's not good (though I personally wasn't a fan), but GAF absolutely has a disproportionate amount of Sony fans who'll give exclusives a boost over multiplats. Same thing applies to Nintendo games, albeit to a lesser degree for obvious reasons.

When they showed the reveal trailer I knew it was going to be GAFs GOTY when it released because naughty dog is at that level here where "naughty gods did it again!" before they even release. Lots of people probably had it penciled in as #1 before launch.

I'm not surprised it won, and won so handily. I expect a lot of attention for the DLC and probably an overwhelming victory whenever TLOU2 releases. It's already #1 to most people, just like Zelda is for this year. Sony just tends to be more represented.

No judgment, I voted last of us my #1 that year too, but that was after I played it

It's a combination of Xbox/Nintendo fan salts, and people who have not learned how to accept peoples opinion who differ from those. Yes UC4 has some of the best Third person gameplay out there, which makes the gameplay complaints more laughable.

Yep That's it, wrap it up. There can be no valid criticism of Uncharted 4 on GAF. Zero.

redcrayon

Thanks to the organisers, looking forward to reading through the results later!

300+ games mentioned. Too often when a year is summarised people only remember the handful at the top, but that's a list of great games.

Fbh

Wow, I'm actually surprised to see Uncharted at number one.
Seems like every Uncharted 4 thread we get is mostly people that either hated it or were extremely dissapointed by it.

Personally I loved it. Not my personal Goty but I have no objections with it being in first place

Also nice to see Furi getting an award. That game is seriously awesome and it felt like it flew under the radar for a lot of people

Except this is objectively wrong. Did prior Uncharted games had a rope swinging mechanics (biggest change other than AI and level design AND this carries into the multiplayer), huge wide open areas, an expanded stealth system with different levels of AI contextual awareness depending on the difficulty, and many levels with vertical style of design? Also, there were a lot more destructible cover, the contextual melee system was vastly improved, double take downs with your partner NPC...

Lastly, the gun play is easily the best in series by far.

Aside from all that, seems like some are forgetting this was the "conclusion game" to the Uncharted series.

AND lolol to the comment that this was a bad year in gaming. Two big games that have been in development for like a decade and we're thought at points to never see the light of day were released.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Clearly, if more people had played The House in Fata Morgana, it would have won GotY. =P

I apparently played the fourth-best game in various genres, and I only played one game in the the top 20 (Doom), so it seems my 2016 was quite a bit different than most others'. I played a lot of backlog stuff, though, partially owing to finally buying a PS3 thanks to Target's sale over the summer. I would have voted for Tales of Graces f and given a dishonorable mention to Uncharted 1!

Yep That's it, wrap it up. There can be no valid criticism of Uncharted 4 on GAF. Zero.

That's not what I said at all...... I am talking about salty, trollish posts, every can can be properly criticized, it was obvious that's what I was talking about. Don't make up words I never said.

peakish

The voting was a fun exercise in confirmation bias. I saw The Witness in many top 1's and expected it to do better in the overall results. Mind you it still did pretty well for a popularity contest.

I've had Fata Morgana on my wishlist for a while, will bump its priority.

Also shout outs to people with good taste

and thanks to the organizers for putting everything together. Your work is much appreciated!

Great work as always timetokill and Cheesemeister. These are some of my favorite threads each year during the voting phase. While I was hoping to see Overwatch win, I think last year was just incredible for new releases all around. I think the only way it could have gotten better was to have a good game from Platinum. I got new entries in my favorites series and some brilliant new games like Overwatch and VA-LL HALL-A.

Affinity friends this year:

I think this is, somehow, the first year I've matched with JC lol

Still have a ton of games from 2016 to go through, like The House of Fata Morgana, The Last Guardian, Dragon Quest VII, Zero Time Dilemma, Momodora, etc.

As far as the recommendations list goes, I guess I should give Fire Emblem another go since I keep getting recommended it. SRPGs usually aren't my thing but maybe I'll click with it more this time around. I also started Trails of Cold Steel and can totally see myself loving it, but I need to finish playing through Trails in the Sky first.

Also got recommended DOOM and Pokemon which I thought was pretty funny since I wasn't really in love with either last year. Oh well. I know what I like for the most part. Hopefully this year delivers the same way.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Since The House in Fata Morgana got #1 in high quality award, I went to the ot and discover a spoiler free review.

Ok, guess I'm playing this.
Pirate's post is great and exemplifies why House ended up having the highest average point score this year. It tends to strike a chord with people who play it.

Durante

After briefly looking at the rest of the list, Battleborn, Stranger of Sword City, Grow Up, God Eater Resurrection, and Sorcery! 4 are missing pc tags as well. Probably still missing more, but those are the ones that stood out.
Also Downwell, Assault Android Cactus, Axiom Verge, Tricky Towers, Invisible, Inc., Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code, Aragami, and Mother Russia Bleeds.

Honestly, it would probably be easier to list the games actually not on PC :p

Because it came out on PC. Those lists are meant to be exclusives-only.
I'm not sure if there is a single game on the current XBO list that didn't come out on PC ;)

Also, Street Fighter V and Oxenfree shouldn't be on the PS4 list then.

Won

Well played, Doom. Didn't expect you to show up there. But then it seems no one expected much of you before release.

I admit that even as a not-so-big fan of Uncharted, 4 was still a very good game. Getting it GOTY shouldn't be too surprising because it's well... Good.

Don't forget guys, Bayonetta 2 is GOTY here, and it's a Wii U exclusive. Personally I thought it was one of the better games released that year.

I don't think the issue is that Sony fans come out in force for Sony exclusives, but that console fans in general come out for console exclusives. Nintendo and Sony exclusives have huge advantages over multiplats (and Xbox exclusives, lol), although one needs only to look at sales to see which group ultimately holds the most sway.

Regarding Bayonetta 2, most Sony exclusives that year were trash (I think the highest-ranked one is inFamous), so Nintendo cleaned up. 2017's GOTY will no doubt come down to Zelda, Mario, and Splatoon since afaik Sony doesn't have any big names coming out.

mjp2417

Banned
I am surprised how Total war warhammer is so low. The game was on the top games sold in steam and the game is amazing yet here it is pretty much ignored. Maybe gaf doesn't like total war games.

It's a PC strategy game on a console-centric forum. Even Civ didn't come close to cracking the top 20.

takoyaki

Any chance of Visual Novels becoming part of the Genre Awards in 2017?

Since more of them are getting localized lately, this year had a good number of votes for games like: The House in Fata Morgana, SteinsGate 0, Ace Attorney 6, Root Letter, Root Double, Zero Time Dilemma, VA-11 HALL-A

Despera

Banned
That's not what I said at all...... I am talking about salty, trollish posts, every can can be properly criticized, it was obvious that's what I was talking about. Don't make up words I never said.
Calling gameplay complaints "laughable" is dismissive and kinda trollish as well don't you think?

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
It really wasn't a very good story. They give Drake a long lost brother all of a sudden out of nowhere, who's completely unlikable. Instead of spending most of the game adventuring with legitimately great character like Sully Elena and Chloe, this mouth breather is taking up WAY too much screen time. You're on an adventure to pay off a debt to save said mouth breather and in the most predictable "twist" of all time
he's lying to you and just trying to get you to break your word to your wife and bring you back to a life you don't want to be in any more. Drake's reaction when he learns he was lied to was essentially to shrug his shoulders and be like whatever
. Really nothing noteworthy about the story at all.
I get what you're saying, but As far as video games go it's a damn good one. ND are really some of the only guys who can make a video game story come anywhere near a movie. Yes the story is cliche, but that's the Uncharted series in a nutshell being based upon Indiana Jones.

NotLiquid

I played U4 a few weeks ago for the first time and thought it was just as good if not better than U2. Can somebody point me to some posts on GAF explaining why the hell it's so hated over here? I don't get it. This sounds like the same ridiculous GAF Hyperbole™ regarding FFXV's Chapter 13 that makes you think it's the worst thing ever conceived in the history of gaming and mankind in general.

Imo, U4 has the most dynamic gameplay, the least linear and the most organic level-design, least frustrating encounter designs, and the best presentation in the series (or any AAA game, really). The quality of performances and animations is insane and the visuals were absolutely mind-blowing for me (at least on my Pro, don't know if it already looked as good on the normal PS4).

UC4's pacing is terrible. I think it has by far the best gameplay in the series and it's a riot when it gets going, but the advancements in gameplay, gunplay and the new grappling hook really just highlight how utterly boring and prolonged the downtime has become with the abundance of climbing and forced walking sections.

It feels like the slower pace and storytelling beats of TLoU has bled into Uncharted 4 which is a distinctively different game with very different needs. Some of the set pieces in UC4 are amazing with how much control they actually end up giving you, and how they look like scripted set pieces even though they aren't. But to follow up on that with an hour and a half of a tedious flashback chapter mostly consisting of walking is annoying. It's like no one at the team remembered the good old saying, brevity is the soul of wit.

Ridesh

Banned
That has nothing to do with what you said, how did RDR resonate with gamers more then GTA V?

It's easily noted across the internet, RDR love has nothing but increased with the years, if GAF makes a GOTY 2010 re-vote it would win easily, and I say that as someone that has ME2 as his #1 game of the last gen.

Since more of them are getting localized lately, this year had a good number of votes for games like: The House in Fata Morgana, SteinsGate 0, Ace Attorney 6, Root Letter, Root Double, Zero Time Dilemma, VA-11 HALL-A

There's a very good chance of this, yes. Cheesemeister and I were just discussing it earlier, in fact.

AHA-Lambda

I second this, personally many of my favourite games from 2016 fall into that list.

Ok yes, U4 won most of critics awards out there but the majority of those are some obscure websites nobody knows (obviously there are some well known too), not that it means they aren't legitimate but if I'd have to make an overall statement (repeat, I):

Critics are divided between U4 or Overwatch, U4 has the edge but most of the biggest sites/publications awarded Overwatch as best.

Now reader's awards (which I think is people) are completely on U4's side.

And everyone secretly love The Last Guardian, of course.

It's easily noted across the internet, RDR love has nothing but increased with the years, if GAF makes a GOTY 2010 re-vote it would win easily, and I say that as someone that has ME2 as his #1 game of the last gen.

Mario Galaxy 2 would probably come out on top.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Wow, I'm actually surprised to see Uncharted at number one.
Seems like every Uncharted 4 thread we get is mostly people that either hated it or were extremely dissapointed by it.

Sounds like MGS4, the only 2x GOTY winner in NeoGAF history.
umad.png

Something's up with the way votes are counted for unknown games. Look at N++ in the goty-game-stats.txt, which is a platform game.

[PC] N++ (Platform) = 19 points, 3 honorable mentions
1. (4 points * 2 users) sleepydeer, Visualante2
3. (3 points * 1 user) GoldCrusader
5. (2 points * 1 user) Durante
6. (2 points * 1 user) Oreoleo
8. (1 point * 3 users) Macstorm, RoeBear, softie
10. (1 point * 1 user) NinjamicWZ
x. (3 users) Mechazawa, More_Badass, SatelliteOfLove
More_Badass said:
I'd place the physics-driven platforming and slick smooth controls of the original N up there with games like Super Meat Boy as one of the forefathers of the indie precision platformer, and N++ is the culmination of 12 years of refinement on that original game, with thousands of smartly-designed stages that wringe diverse platforming challenges from a simple moveset.
Mechazawa said:
It's N+ but with a fuckload of levels, user creation tools, a bangin' soundtrack and lookin' criiiiiisp.
GoldCrusader said:
CC2 delivered one of the best looking game of the entire generation and did everything the anime did wrong right.
Macstorm said:
Not a typical roguelike by far, but the twist this took on the subgenre got me hooked into doing a lot of pick up and play quests.
NinjamicWZ said:
just the right blend of addictive roguelite, old school JRPG feel + irreverence, and handheld convenience. I would have maybe skipped this game if it hadn't gotten a physical release from LimitedRunGames, but I'm glad it worked out.
Oreoleo said:
Platforming perfected, and a dizzying amount of levels to work through.
Durante said:
The best version of the best minimalistic platformer. A massive amount of content, tight controls, great co-op.
softie said:
Perfect platformer for me.
sleepydeer said:
PC. Sublime movement, fantastic level design and tons of it, just total satisfaction to play. As a long-term fan this completely met my gameplay expectations. What surprised me is the phenomenal soundtrack, I'm not sure why more games don't use this style of music.
Visualante2 said:
expression through movement, obsessive attention to detail, over delivering on value and respecting the player. N++ puts most games to shame.
RoeBear said:
A great rogue like side-scroller. Although, the rpg element isn't too deep this has been a great game to have handy on my Vita this year.

Some of the quotes are about a roguelike game. Checking RoeBear's ballot (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228800179&postcount=2240) they actually voted for Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics. This would have been the game before N++ in the game list - looks like a range match instead of exact match was used, meaning votes for games not in the list ended up moved to the next game in alphabetical order instead of being rejected.

Other posters and what they actually voted for:

GoldCrusader - Naruto ultimate ninja storm 4
Macstorm - Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics
NinjamicWZ - Mystery Chronicles: One Way Heroics

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Something's up with the way votes are counted for unknown games. Look at N++ in the goty-game-stats.txt

Half the quotes are about a roguelike game. Checking RoeBear's ballot (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228800179&postcount=2240) they actually voted for Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics. This would have been the game before N++ in the game list - looks like a range match instead of exact match means unknown game votes ended up moved to the next game in alphabetical order.
Russia did it

(Good eye.)

My Bros

---

Thoughts on my top 10 recommendations

The Witness: timely that this should top the recommendations as I just got it yesterday with its current PSN discount, too soon to tell how much I'll dig it but in the brief playtime I've had I've already had a breakthrough moment of understanding that impressed me in how well it was taught without any real teaching. The appeal of this title always seemed to be a hard one to sell ("okay so you draw lines right?") but it popped up enough in the voting thread with thunderous praise that I'm taking the chance.

The Last Guardian: Let it be known, I love Shadow of the Colossus but I didn't much care for Ico at all from a gameplay perspective. As such I was never really invested in the saga of TLG, the whole development period for it has been like forum background noise to me. TLG is a game I definitely plan to get around to, I believe that among the late votes in the voting thread it was traveler's post that spoke to me most seeing that he comes from a similar SotC preference perspective.

World of Warcraft Legion: Oh ho, No Blizzard ,you may have hooked me once with Overwatch but I'm not going down this rabbit hole! Actually back when a bunch of my friends were playing OW another friend of ours was roped back into WoW by Legion, he tried pulling us away but we didn't take the bait.
Not that I'm knocking WoW mind you.

Uncharted 4: Well here it is, the big one, the GotY.
I don't think it's much of a secret to anyone whose ever followed my posts that I've never been the biggest fan of Naughty Dog, especially when I've had to endure discussions with actual HUMANS in front of me that were like putting me on trial for not loving the shit out of Uncharted 2 back in the day.
Now TLOU was an interesting outlier, I felt that it was an enjoyable game that did more with its shooting, stealthing and story than the Uncharted trilogy came close to, it snuck in an HM in my 2013 list at least.
Still I tried going back via the remaster and I just can't, I really find the early game a slog of walk n' talk that doesn't go down so well when you already know the outcome.

This leaves Uncharted 4 in a tricky place because deep down the actual base idea behind these games does speak to me, hollywood blockbuster action game with crazy set pieces and shiiiiit. The gameplay shortcomings held it back for me before yet people are quick to say that this time around things are better which is expected coming off TLOU. Yet the caveat being more walk and talk and crumbly "platforming" in the name of pacing that according to some goes overboard in its presence. I can't get much a read on this one, I expect I'd like it but not much more than that and I wouldn't view it as GotY worthy but who knows.
Eventually I will know but I'm in no such rush right now. It would be hasty to pass judgement on GAF's current choice of GotY without actually playing it but as far as things go it can't possibly be worse than GAF's 2008 MGS4 choice of feeling more like people were committed to the franchise name as opposed to how good it actually was.
Speaking of that idea of franchise names holding more weight, boy Zelda sure will be interesting this year.

Hitman: It's been slammed on my radar by numerous well written justifications in the voting thread, while one could consider the season 1 complete package I've taken the words Papercut's writeup mentioned to mind that having it all there in bulk could lead to not savouring each chapter as much as I could. So alternatively I could wait until season 2 starts to drop and dive in there? In any event I'm impressed that the team managed to turn this game around from its immediately doubted perception. I tried Absolution and found it pretty wank, going back to Blood Money style can only be a great thing.

Pokemon Sun/Moon: Got it, enjoyed it, filled the dex and am currently underperforming in a tournament among friends. Narrowly missed my top 10, mainly on the basis that its potential sequel will hopefully trump it.

The Division: This one....just ain't happening, not a fan of Ubisoft's approach to game design and though I heard this one did in fact get better post release if I recall I still remember my friends reaction to the base game being middling at best and he was hyped since the first trailer (which by the way I couldn't stand, that fuckin' forced online banter that wasn't organic in the slightest, urrrggggh)

XCOM 2: An avatar of myself has lived and died many a time in numerous friends XCOM exploits, apparently I always end up being a sniper of sorts. I have no issue with XCOM, I just fear it kicking my arse. Perhaps one day on the cheap.
I did however play the XCOM boardgame this year, that shit was NAILS, even the tutorial kicked the groups collective arses.

Stellaris: Oh gee this is embarrassing but I'm not entirely sure what this one is about, I tended to glaze over it when it popped up in lists.

Inside: Played it and beat it in one sitting, the last time I did such a thing it was because I feared I'd never return to the game if I turned it off (said game was Thomas is Alone, I should've left Thomas alone eh? EHHH?). Inside however I did in one sitting because it was interesting enough to do so and I needed to see that hyped up finale, which was good fun by the way.
Decent title considering I never cared for Limbo, Inside is a top puzzle/cinematic style platformer, that's just not my preferred branch of the genre.

Really glad The Witness made top 10.

From my perspective, Uncharted was perhaps an over safe choice, DS 3 too. Good, polished games, but feel largely like retreads. Still, no surprise folks liked them.

Would have liked to see B&W higher, but still impressive for an expansion. Anyway, looking at the list, this was a solid year for gaming. Something for everyone!

I played U4 a few weeks ago for the first time and thought it was just as good if not better than U2. Can somebody point me to some posts on GAF explaining why the hell it's so hated over here? I don't get it. This sounds like the same ridiculous GAF Hyperbole™ regarding FFXV's Chapter 13 that makes you think it's the worst thing ever conceived in the history of gaming and mankind in general.

Imo, U4 has the most dynamic gameplay, the least linear and the most organic level-design, least frustrating encounter designs, and the best presentation in the series (or any AAA game, really). The quality of performances and animations is insane and the visuals were absolutely mind-blowing for me (at least on my Pro, don't know if it already looked as good on the normal PS4).
I'm not sure either.

I've seen a lot of criticism levied at Uncharted 4's gameplay that I would have agreed with about Uncharted 1-3, but not anymore. It's no longer about graphics/presentation vs. gameplay, because Uncharted 4 does both at a very high level. I never would have played out encounters like this or this in previous Uncharted games. I just wouldn't have. I'd have stayed behind cover and slogged through them.

There was once a time where I think you could justifiably knock Naughty Dog for their games not having strong gameplay, and for prioritizing story and presentation, but that all ended with The Last of Us and they've solidified it with Uncharted 4. Their games are a complete package.

Usobuko

Banned
I like Gaf goty thread and is thankful for the work put into it.

I usually don't play any games that launched in its first year and use the goty thread to decide on what I find is interesting.

This should be a thread celebrating games, not complaining because your favorite isn't #1 or you disagree with #1. The community voted and therefore it is.
I think it's fair to disagree, there's really no need to be dismissive. Encouraging discussion is good.

Top Bottom