• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2016 Awards

d00d3n

Hitman deserves higher. It's player agency is unmatched by just about everything else in the top 10 and its a better game than most of them too.

No imo. It is a great game and possibly the best game in the series, but it doesn't do much new compared with Blood Money. The online stuff, the challenges and the episodic release schedule may be new, but are not clear strengths of the game. I am a super fan of social stealth and I really liked the game, but it is a rehash. The fact that social stealth games are quite rare does not excuse the lack of originality in Hitman.

Great work, Uncharted was my GOTY as well. And as expected, watching the people who were rooting against it, saying other games deserved it more get salty about it winning is an entertaining read.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Regarding Bayonetta 2, most Sony exclusives that year were trash (I think the highest-ranked one is inFamous), so Nintendo cleaned up. 2017's GOTY will no doubt come down to Zelda, Mario, and Splatoon since afaik Sony doesn't have any big names coming out.

Unless The Last of Us Part II comes out.

Crayolan

Uncharted 4 #1 no surprise there.

Expected Overwatch to be right on its heels though, and didn't expect Doom to be in between the two. Good for Doom.

Also lol at gaf putting FFXV on its fail of the year list and as a top 10 GOTY.

So GAF is all about graphics > gameplay? Well that's a bummer. :(

GAF is all about Naughty Dog lol

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Uncharted 4 winning is disappointing. Shows how strong the Sony fanbase is here at neogaf. Don't think it deserves it over Overwatch or Doom, and imo not the type of gameplay we should be rewarding,especially considering it's a poorly paced run of the mill sequel. But a message board game of the year list is not really anything to get worked up about, so it is what it is.
Lmao, but yet you're worked up.

Ridesh

Banned
It's a combination of Xbox/Nintendo fan salts, and people who have not learned how to accept peoples opinion who differ from those. Yes UC4 has some of the best Third person gameplay out there, which makes the gameplay complaints more laughable.

Dude, do you really want to be that guy? the guy that gets insufferable every time that someone doesn't say something nice about your favorite game?

Stoze

The voting was a fun exercise in confirmation bias. I saw The Witness in many top 1's and expected it to do better in the overall results. Mind you it still did pretty well for a popularity contest.

1st place is only one more point than 2nd and 3rd. The Witness came 5th in the passion vote/i.e. most 1st places, so your intuition (and mine) wasn't far off.

Passion Award
The top 20 games ranked by quantity of rank 1s awarded in ballots. (### = number of rank 1s awarded)

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (191)
2. Overwatch (188)
3. The Last Guardian (146)
4. Doom (127)
5. The Witness (91)
6. Dark Souls III (85)
7. Final Fantasy XV (77)
8. Hitman (42)
9. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine (38)
9. Titanfall 2 (38)

duckroll

No imo. It is a great game and possibly the best game in the series, but it doesn't do much new compared with Blood Money. The online stuff, the challenges and the episodic release schedule may be new, but are not clear strengths of the game. I am a super fan of social stealth and I really liked the game, but it is a rehash. The fact that social stealth games are quite rare does not excuse the lack of originality in Hitman.

Why does it have to do anything -new- rather than doing something -better-? It's all in the execution. The way scenarios are written and designed, and the wealth of scenarios in each setting along with the way they intertwine is something Blood Money never had. That alone changes the options a player has and elevates the simulation of every mission.

Doom doesn't do anything new at all with regards to FPS games. It just does shit REALLY well. Which is why it's #2.

cyba89

NeoGAF chose well.

Didn't expect DOOM to be so high. Good game but it just didn't resonate with me so well like Wolfenstein TNO did.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Why does it have to do anything -new- rather than doing something -better-? It's all in the execution. The way scenarios are written and designed, and the wealth of scenarios in each setting along with the way they intertwine is something Blood Money never had. That alone changes the options a player has and elevates the simulation of every mission.

Doom doesn't do anything new at all with regards to FPS games. It just does shit REALLY well. Which is why it's #2.
I had Hitman at my #6, but to me it's all about Paris and Sapienza.

Colorado probably knocked it down a couple of spots. I think that map is absolutely terrible.

If they made a game only with Paris and Sapienza quality levels then it would be Hitman perfection.

Nameless

Glad Dark Souls 3 weathered an early year release and general fatigue with series due to so many releases lately to crack the Top 5. Well deserved. Ditto for TLG.

At a glance I would've picked Doom or Overwatch to win so seeing Uncharted get it was a pleasant surprise.

Right. Long post incoming with user stuff.

Said this a few pages back, but the winner was a swerve for me. Was honestly expecting The Last Guardian, DOOM or Overwatch to win it. And this morning, considering the amount of first places it was starting to pick up, I thought, maybe, The Last Guardian may just sneak this.

Alas, not to be. But top five for one of the most anticipated games of all time is nothing to bulk at too. And Uncharted 4 is certainly still a worthy winner for sure, so happy it won. But I'd be lying if I didn't say I wanted The Last Guardian to win it more. As good as Uncharted 4 is, it's not exactly something we've not seen before. The Last Guardian felt like a once-in-a-generation defining experience in games. And I say that as someone who thinks of Naughty Dog as his favourite developer.

Anyway. Here's how my vote lined up with the overall results.

My vote > Overall:

The Last Guardian - 1 > 5
Overwatch - 2 > 3
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 3 > 1
Rez Infinite - 4 > 52
Inside - 5 > 9
Titanfall 2 - 6 > 7
Forza Horizon 3 - 7 > 21
Watch Dogs 2 - 8 > 31
DOOM - 9 > 2
Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - 10 > 69

Next, my user affinity pals.

To you, I say...

r4PzfS9.gif

Finally, recommendations.

1. [XB1][PS4][PC] The Witness (Puzzle) = 8 points, 1 honorable mention
2. [XB1][PS4][PC] Dishonored 2 (Adventure) = 7 points, 1 honorable mention
3. [XB1][PS4] Dark Souls III (RPG) = 7 points
4. [PS4] Ratchet & Clank (Platform) = 5 points, 3 honorable mentions
5. [XB1][PS4] Final Fantasy XV (RPG) = 5 points
6. [XB1][PS4] Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (FPS) = 4 points, 1 honorable mention
7. [XB1][PS4] Firewatch (Adventure) = 4 points, 1 honorable mention
8. [XB1][PS4] Battleborn (Action) = 4 points
9. [XB1][PS4] Hitman (Action) = 3 points, 2 honorable mentions
10. [PS4] Street Fighter V (Fighting) = 3 points
11. [XB1][PS4][PC] Battlefield 1 (FPS) = 2 points, 2 honorable mentions
12. [PSV][PS4] Dragon Quest Builders (RPG) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
13. [XB1][PS4][PC] The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine (RPG) = 2 points
14. [XB1][PS4] DiRT Rally (Racing) = 2 points
15. [3DS] Pokémon Sun/Moon (RPG) = 2 points
16. [PS4][PC] No Man's Sky (Adventure) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
17. [XB1] Quantum Break (Shooter) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
18. [XB1] Superhot (FPS) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
19. [XB1][PS4][PC] Stardew Valley (Simulation) = 1 point
20. [PS4] Thumper (Rhythm) = 1 point
21. [PC] Devil Daggers (FPS) = 1 point
22. [XB1][PS4][PC] Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (FPS) = 1 point
23. [PC][OVR] Obduction (Puzzle) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
24. [PS4] Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator (Fighting) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
25. [XB1][PS4] Hyper Light Drifter (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
26. [PS4] Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
27. [XB1][PS4] Destiny: Rise of Iron (FPS) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
28. [PS4] Oxenfree (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
29. [XB1][PS4][PC] Abzu (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention

Already own The Witness (literally only bought it yesterday on sale from the PS Store), Dishonored 2, Dark Souls III, Ratchet & Clank, Final Fantasy XV, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Firewatch, Hitman, Battlefield 1, The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - Blood and WIne via the GOTY Edition, DiRT Rally, No Man's Sky, Quantum Break, Stardew Valley and Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. All the rest I don't own or did own, but traded in (hi, Street Fighter V).

Out of this list, I've yet to play The Witness, Dark Souls III, Final Fantasy XV, the remainder of Hitman from episode three, Ratchet & Clank, Blood and Wine and Stardew Valley. I'm planning on attacking my Soulsbourne backlog in the Summer, plan to take on The Witcher III: Wild Hunt and its DLC in the Spring along with Final Fantasy XV and Stardew Valley.

(also, fucking no, out of any other game on there, I wouldn't give money to play Battleborn lol - you'd have to pay me to play it)

In terms of games I've played but yet to finish: Dishonored 2 I've played a tiny bit of, Hitman I've played up to episode two, Battlefield 1 I've played the intro and its first mission, DiRT Rally I've played a tiny little bit of and No Man's Sky I've sunk a good part of a day or so into.

For the games I have finished, Quantum Break had an amazing story, but a typical by the numbers shooter which meshed together rounded up to being my biggest disappointment of 2016. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was great, but didn't feel as impactful as Human Revolution did. Amazing side-missions and amazing hub world in Prague, though. Firewatch was good, but a few technical things kept it from being brilliant for me. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare was the second game I finished this year and was genuinely a massive surprise in how much of a return to form it was for Infinity Ward. So great. If I had played it before I locked my list, there's a good chance this would have been in my top ten.

And as for the games I intend to pick up after seeing this list, the big two for me are Oxenfree and Abzu (Destiny: Rise of Iron too, I guess, but I really need to properly get back into Destiny first). I've had people hark on about Oxenfree for a while that the first chance I get, I'm gonna pick up Oxenfree. That said, unless it's a GWG/PS Plus freebie beforehand, I don't think it's going to happen until after the release of the Nintendo Switch because of me trying to skimp up as many pennies as I can trying to save up for it and the crazy period that comes after with Mass Effect: Andromeda/Persona 5.

Anyway, that's been my 2016. Pleasure as always. See you back here in December.

My vote never counted because it didn't have at least one comment
(it had more than one actually)

And I listed the same game twice apparently
(No, Blizzard Mountain was an expansion and I thought those were allowed)

I'm sorry about that. I'll fix it for you.

The problem with large data sets is that sometimes outliers like this don't get detected and handled in time. This is the first I've heard of Blizzard Mountain.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
In Uncharted's defense, I don't think "Sony fanboyism" has a whole lot to do with why it won this year.

I mean, GAF has been pretty hard on Nintendo over the years (see: every thread regarding the Switch since the presentation) and yet the top three games in GAF's 2014 awards are all Wii U exclusive, so....
I don't get the whole "Sony GAF" bullshit I always see on here, every time a Sony game is praised. Yet Nintendo threads get the most love and clicks by far also most threads are Nintendo related.

spekkeh

Banned
Boy what a weak year. I just read the list and am like 'okay'. Pretty uninteresting choices.
I'm not against Uncharted 4 winning, it was one of the higher mainstream games on my list and I knew Titanfall would be snubbed, though it was still more of a 7.5/10 game for me. It was a good game, just in terms of winning it I feel indifferent really. I think it won more based on being the most sold game for the largest GAF user base, than being a champion of games this year.

Neoxon

Overwatch was robbed, but I can't be too mad about Uncharted 4 winning.

Congrats to SFV for winning Best Fighting Game.

duckroll

I had Hitman at my #6, but to me it's all about Paris and Sapienza.

Colorado probably knocked it down a couple of spots. I think that map is absolutely terrible.

If they made a game only with Paris and Sapienza quality levels then it would be Hitman perfection.

Sure, I think that's a fair critique. But that means the quality of the game isn't consistent and it's the nature of the content that drags it down. The fact that it doesn't do anything new isn't really that much of a factor right?

Glassboy

Congrats naughty dog! Well deserved win. I knew it was one of my favorite games off all time immediately after finishing it. I cannot possibly be more excited for last of us pt 2

Mr. Sam

If anybody's dinner seems a little underseasoned, I'm happy to provide generous helpings of salt after Uncharted 4 won.

redcrayon

Quick question- how come Darkest Dungeon isn't on the 'digital distribution' list? Is that a PC online stores only category?

Chris R

Also lol at gaf putting FFXV on its fail of the year list and as a top 10 GOTY.

Game is divisive as hell. Some people think it's the best game in the series, others think it's solid with issues, and then there are people like me who rank it right behind Tony Hawk 5 as the worst game I've played this generation.

Unknown?

My personal GOTY was The Last Guardian! Holy crap that game was good! I didn't think UC4 would be dethroned for me but the came along Dragon Quest Builders and even that was dethroned by The Last Guardian! It's by far my favorite PS4 game too!

Also lol at those people claiming bias because UC4 won! Always gotta discredit a good game because you don't like it.

Menome

ZdiMx5z.png
R8A6rSX.png

Action Game of the Year: Hitman = 657 points, 25 honorable mentions
2. Let It Die = 114 points, 9 honorable mentions
3. Severed = 57 points, 2 honorable mentions
4. Battleborn = 17 points, 2 honorable mentions
5. PlayStation VR Worlds = 16 points
6. The Lab = 15 points, 1 honorable mention
7. Senran Kagura: Estival Versus = 12 points, 1 honorable mention
8. Hyrule Warriors Legends = 10 points, 2 honorable mentions
9. The Playroom VR = 9 points, 4 honorable mentions
10. Aragami = 8 points, 3 honorable mentions

4. Battleborn = 17 points, 2 honorable mentions

WE DID IT FAM.

Hell yeah! Also, 114 out of the Top 300. It's good to see some love for it. :)

ghibli99

^ RE: WoFF, something tells me a lot of players stopped or waited for the Pro patch before playing/finishing it (including me).

This is the first time I've looked at the affinity doc:

ghibli99
1. PuppetMaster (134) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227157461&postcount=424
2. LightOfTruth (123) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228766428&postcount=2124
3. hughesta (121) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227946226&postcount=1672
3. Spoo (121) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227133704&postcount=119
5. ranmafan (120) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228074401&postcount=1740
6. FelipeMGM (119) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227285415&postcount=899
7. sappyday (118) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227627588&postcount=1451
7. Servbot24 (118) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227170989&postcount=530
9. therealminime (115) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227616261&postcount=1443
10. Dabi (113) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227385181&postcount=1112

This is really cool, and it's awesome to read the opinions/thoughts of other like-minded GAFers.

Edit: Woah, I guess these numbers are pretty high? I like to say that I'm behind the curve and don't represent the mainstream or what's popular, but maybe I do (by NeoGAF standards anyway). I guess nearly 12 years and 12k posts might have some influence on my opinions and choices. LOL

Top Bottom