• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2016 Awards

Glad for Uncharted, Doom, and especially The Last Guardian.

Cool to see The Witness and Inside. Not surprised but still glad about Dark Souls III, even if I think it isn't as good as Bloodborne the game is a blast.

Great list.

Durante

In the "Overall Rankings", is it supposed to list all platforms that a game was released on?
Because just looking over a few of them I've already seen [PC] missing for 6 (Superhot, Oxenfree, Salt and Sanctuary, Inside, SFV and Thumper).

Puzzle Game of the Year:
10. Shenzhen I/O = 18 points, 2 honorable mentions
Hah! Made it.
Not bad for a PC-only programming game.

High Quality Award
1. The House in Fata Morgana (3.666667)
Guess I'll really have to play it. For Knurek.

TLG made it in the top 5! I'm happy my pick made it that far up on the list. And my top 3 all were in the top 5.

This is always one of my favorite GOTY lists. Awesome work once again guys

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The ratcat made the top 5. :)

Seems like the late voting deadline helped it compared to the press.

Trico is a beast. Should have been #1. Nathan is a semi-automatic beast though, so it's OK. Playdead's brilliant work deserved a higher spot, but that's a great list overall.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Druckmann and Straley remain undefeated on NeoGAF.

FFXV in the top 6.

12pDEWN.gif

Karu

Deserved winner! Was my personal Top 3 spot.

Great gameplay, great pacing, great story, great presentation.

It's... great.

Happy to see Hitman, Doom and Overwatch in the top 10.

Would have liked to see Dishonored 2 higher on the list, but I'll take what I can get. Game is amazingly well-designed and deserves recognition

Just thought I would point out a few mistakes. The only Vita game here that is "platform exclusive" is Shiren, everything else is on PS3 (Cold Steel 2) or PS4 (Grand Kingdom, Atelier Sophie, Digimon).

PSV Game of the Year: Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth = 130 points, 4 honorable mentions
2. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II = 99 points, 6 honorable mentions
3. Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book = 16 points, 2 honorable mentions
4. Grand Kingdom = 13 points, 3 honorable mentions
5. Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate = 10 points

Uc4 also has the most critics GOTY awards, maybe it's...good GASP.

Concept of individual tastes and opinions is not that complicated.
Doesn't change the fact that Neogaf is predominantly a Sony fan base, so the result was predictable. I never played UC4, but from what most people say, it plays far too safe. It's the fourth iteration of the series and apparently does absolutely nothing new from the previous games, and is considered slower and weaker story-wise from its predecessors. No game should win game of the year for that, regardless of how beautiful it is. Overwatch should have won for no other reason than it is a brand new IP that became an instant smash hit. You have subjectivity, and then you have hard fact.
Lol go Uncharted 4. Going to be a lot of hurt people in this thread. The Last Guardian is a close second.
Not hurt, just humored.

Really nice list.

I don't agree with the Uncharted 4 pick but I'm glad to see good storytelling getting rewarded. I hope more games of different genres in the future follow suit.

Floody

Great list, I'm actually kinda surprised at the overall quality after thinking last year was kinda mediocre, doesn't have anything at The Witcher 3 or Bloodborne level, but has plenty of great games to make up for it, most of which I haven't played.

Oh, and well deserved ND and surprised a DOOM being a comfortable 2nd, thought Overwatch would easily take that.

mxgt

Banned
Shame about Uncharted 4 winning GOTY, thought it was tedious.

Also I hope to never see the whole "GAF hates Uncharted" thing again whenever people criticse it.

INSIDE robbed!

RMI

Banned
Naughty Gods indeed. Well done. I'll have to check the game out at some point. Glad to see DOOM, Titanfall 2, The Witness, and Fire Emblem do well.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
High Quality Award
The top 20 games with at least 10 appearances, ranked by Average Points per Appearance (### = Average points per vote)

1. The House in Fata Morgana (3.666667)
By far my favorite part of this year's awards. I honestly wasn't expecting it to rank so highly in the general voting's average point score award, even though it claimed steamgaf's highest average point score position as well.

Doesn't change the fact that Neogaf is predominantly a Sony fan base, so the result was predictable. I never played UC4, but from what most people say, it plays far too safe. It's the fourth iteration of the series and apparently does absolutely nothing new from the previous games, and is considered slower and weaker story-wise from its predecessors. No game should win game of the year for that, regardless of how beautiful it is. Overwatch should have won for no other reason than it is a brand new IP that became an instant smash hit. You have subjectivity, and then you have hard fact.

Not hurt, just humored.

This makes zero sense....What does OW do that is new? There is no pre-requisite that a game has to be revolutionary or do something new, or be a new ip to be GOTY. Maybe you should play UC4 and stop talking nonsense, it is actually quite different then the other uncharteds, so somes dismay. UC4 has the best story..by far, again play the game.

Looks like you need to look up what facts mean, OW should have won is not a fact lol.

Not hurt, just humored.
You haven't even played the damn thing and your being a bit salty I don't get it

Really happy to seeU4 at the top.

Shame people seemed to mainly forget about Ratchet, should be higher. And disappointing performances for DQ Builders and Wo Final Fantasy. More people need to play these and the better FF game released this year.

Glad to see FFXV not win anything and actually miss the top 5. TLG is higher than expected, it's not one I thought we'd see so high and above XV. Surprised to see Hitmanso high. Not sure where that came from.

eot

Banned
Kinda weird to see U4 over DOOM, but gaf had always loved that series so I guess it makes sense.

JusDoIt

kI4EaRP.png
zRr9zPT.png

Fighting Game of the Year: Street Fighter V = 259 points, 7 honorable mentions
2. Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator = 44 points, 3 honorable mentions
3. Pokken Tournament = 26 points, 8 honorable mentions
4. King of Fighters XIV = 22 points
5. Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 = 21 points, 3 honorable mentions
6. The King of Fighters XIV = 17 points, 1 honorable mention
7. BlazBlue: Central Fiction = 11 points
8. Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code = 11 points
9. Mother Russia Bleeds = 8 points
10. Mortal Kombat XL = 7 points

You got "King of Fighters XIV" and "The King of Fighters XIV" listed here. Is that intentional? Shouldn't the game be in 3rd place with 39 total votes?

UGH, Dark Souls III not even cracking the top 3...

You fucked up, GAF. Game of the generation and possibly the greatest video game ever made. At least you correctly chose Bloodborne last year.

It does plenty new. The traversal and gunplay are vastly improved, and the rope adds an entirely new mechanic to the combat encounters. The levels are massive and bigger than ever before, there's driving for the first time and exploration has been expanded greatly.

Despite not being revolutionary it's a complete refinement of the formula and on its own stands as one of the best third person shooters I've played. On top of all that it's gorgeous and features amazing performances from the cast and a satisfying conclusion to the series.

That's why it's #1

Top Bottom