• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Mafia |OT8| Who wants to talk about Murders?

What shall El Topo's avatar be?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bowlie

Banned
I was just reading Star Wars and Animal Crossing earlier today, both had interesting mechanics.

I had to google star wars insignias because I don't recognize any of them

DONT TALK ABOUT STAR WARS MAFIA

; __ ;
dMXwlRp.png

MattyG ran one in S2 and it was glorious. Pretty sure YnNnY made it in towards the end of the game and I did my best to throw her under the bus. She hasn't really forgiven scum in that game...

No it wasn't glorious 😣 it was the opposite of glorious 😠

Dat flowchart map tho 😂

I made it through to the last day of the game because I was 110% sure palmer and rainbow were cleared by johnnyquicknives (grrrrrrr)

So they kept me alive because I was in their pocket (grrrrrrr)

Ahhh nostalgia though XD then was the days where scummies could hardly even get a win in the main season games! In fact, star wars mafia held the honour of being the single mafia win in main season games for like... 5 seasons or something

Guess it's upside down world now 😮

Fireblend

Banned
TDTSd6Z.png

I'm looking for people to help me out with Doctor Who Mafia, still in its very early stages. Retro generously set up a design board for it and I created a thread for the core mechanics I'm thinking of, but I'd love feedback from people who actually know how to design these things and wouldn't mind skipping out on a Doctor Who Mafia game ran by none other than Fire "Always be Lynchin'" Blend himself. Maybe help me run it instead?

Sawneeks

Banned
TDTSd6Z.png

I'm looking for people to help me out with Doctor Who Mafia, still in its very early stages. Retro generously set up a design board for it and I created a thread for the core mechanics I'm thinking of, but I'd love feedback from people who actually know how to design these things and wouldn't mind skipping out on a Doctor Who Mafia game ran by none other than Fire "Always be Lynchin'" Blend himself. Maybe help me run it instead?

If you don't already have people I can give you a hand, just need someone to give me the permissions on OG.

RetroMG

If you don't already have people I can give you a hand, just need someone to give me the permissions on OG.

I'll give you permissions shortly.

If I'm ever allowed to design games.

I want to correct this, and do it in a way that's clear to everyone what the policy is.

• Weemad, you're allowed to design games. No one has ever told you that you weren't, to my knowledge. If they did, it was without my knowledge or agreement.
  • ANYONE is allowed to design a game as long as they have played in at least one game in the Gafia community. You just have to write the setup in a way that's easy to read (preferably in a spreadsheet,) and submit it to me.
  • The game then has to be reviewed by two or more Gafia reviewers before it will be allowed to run. That's done on the merits of the game, not with any bias against the gamerunner/designer.
  • One more thing - We are looking to build a large base of Gafia Game Reviewers, as a way of freeing up more of the mods who have been reviewing games instead of playing them. (Ynnny, Ouro, Sophia, not to name names or anything.) If you would like to become a Gafia Game Reviewer, please contact me privately.

El Topo

They let me and roy host games. Think about that. If we get to do that, everyone does. Just tell a mod if you want to work on a game.

I want to correct this, and do it in a way that's clear to everyone what the policy is.

• Weemad, you're allowed to design games. No one has ever told you that you weren't, to my knowledge. If they did, it was without my knowledge or agreement.

I know. I also know I'm not experienced enough to do it. Everything else is a joke. XD

roytheone

What does reviewing a game entail, and how much time does it usually take?

You open a Google doc, look at it for 5 seconds, return to the designer and say "IT SUCKS, START OVER". And that a couple of times.

Real answer: you look at design and provide feedback on roles (are there any that can break the game, that are straight up not fun, need to be explained better etc) and balancing. It's often a continuous back and forth between you and the designer until the game is in an except able state to run.

Dr. Worm

Banned
ANYONE is allowed to design a game as long as they have played in at least one game in the Gafia community. You just have to write the setup in a way that's easy to read (preferably in a spreadsheet,) and submit it to me.

Is it possible to see the proposals/spreadsheets/boards/etc for games that've already concluded? I figure at some point that I'd probably want to try my hand at designing a game, and being able to reference previous examples would probably help when it comes to determining what balance should look like and what you guys are looking for, especially with the context of the game thread to see how the game played out in practice.

Bowlie

Banned
Is it possible to see the proposals/spreadsheets/boards/etc for games that've already concluded? I figure at some point that I'd probably want to try my hand at designing a game, and being able to reference previous examples would probably help when it comes to determining what balance should look like and what you guys are looking for, especially with the context of the game thread to see how the game played out in practice.

I've been building a spreadsheet over the past days with the designs of all past mafia games, for the same reason.

It's far from completed, but you can take a look to see how it's going to be:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...vw93O9TLht7GYQE4YSphQa1aE/edit#gid=2049626463

If you think there's something else that could be there, please let me know. I intend to share it with others in the future.

roytheone

We are actually discussing this very thing in mod chat right now! But to help illustrate :this is the design doc of batman mafia

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...mTT1BTV8rifgbcCLomXg3peW6_k/edit?usp=drivesdk

Dr. Worm

Banned
Ah, okay! That doesn't seem so bad.

If I ever have an idea that doesn't suck, I'll be sure to send it along to whoever's relevant.

Sawneeks

Banned
I'll give you permissions shortly.

Thanks Cap'n. n_n7

What does reviewing a game entail, and how much time does it usually take?

Like Roy said, it's usually working with the person who plans to run the game about various roles and balancing. Some games can be reviewed quickly if they are fairly 'standard' and others take time with back and forth between the Reviewers and Mod, usually games like Role Madness or ones with an unconventional mechanic.

It's also making sure there isn't any way Roles can 'break' the game. It's just good to have another set of eyes look over something because it's easy to miss little things if you work on a game for a while.

I've been building a spreadsheet over the past days with the designs of all past mafia games, for the same reason.

It's far from completed, but you can take a look to see how it's going to be:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...vw93O9TLht7GYQE4YSphQa1aE/edit#gid=2049626463

If you think there's something else that could be there, please let me know. I intend to share it with others in the future.

More for Dr. Worm but I'd guess most Mods would be more than willing to share their Doc and designs if you asked them.

Also, Bowlie, if you need it here's the one for Legend of Zelda Mafia.

Top Bottom