• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential RPGs - 2013 edition - Top 100 results posted

Mass Effect 1 is ridiculously high on this list.

I woulda figured MA3 woulda drug it down like other highlight entries had happened to them.

I want to be very careful about this both because many of Xenoblade's fans are obviously longtime RPG fans who have in no way been starved for games and because there's no real mystery behind people enjoying some of the game's features, but I do think that platform plays a part in Xenoblade's reputation on GAF. It strikes me that the import impressions (from a group we can assume, on average, plays more RPGs for more platforms) were more subdued than the rapturous response the game got when it finally hit the U.S. Besides which, any time I see someone post that Xenoblade "finally moves the jRPG genre forward," it immediately makes me suspicious that the poster doesn't play that many jRPGs (for the record, I felt the same when people said similar things about FFXII).

Good man.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
As am I. Although I guess technically it's not nostalgia since it was re-released last year, but I am NOT impressed with Persona 4 about 5 hours in. I know that's still really early but the social/sim stuff I've done so far, the best part of the game I was led to believe, is probably the worst part so far.

I am about 40 or so hours in currently and it definitely picks up a bit more towards the midway... though truthfully I still much prefer the atmosphere, music, and S Links in P3 over 4. (4 has much better gameplay since you can actually control your party members in battle :p)

kswiston

I do think that platform plays a part in Xenoblade's reputation on GAF.

I don't think that is a huge stretch. Looking through the Top 100, Sixteen games were published by Nintendo (17 if you want to count Symphonia which was pushed hard by Nintendo in the west). They make great games, but for a company that doesn't focus on RPGs (and has had poor RPG support on their home consoles for 3 generations), that's a lot of representation. Most of those titles are from the last two generations as well. Pretty much every significant (localized) Gamecube RPG out there made the Top 100, save the first Baten Kaitos and Crystal Chronicles, and both of those were in the top 150.

I woulda figured MA3 woulda drug it down like other highlight entries had happened to them.

Mass Effect franchise disillusion has seemed to help the first game rather than hurt it.

The first time I ran this list was a couple of weeks after ME2 came out. ME2 scored #13 and ME1 scored #21. In the 2011 list it was ME1 at #6 and ME2 at #24. Last year was #13 and #41.

This thread (namely the OP) is amazing. i don't even like RPGs that much but this is where I go to try something new. Glad Pokemon GSC is fondly remembered!

I just finished another Mass Effect 1 playthrough a week or so ago and now I'm starting one of the games this thread inspired me to go back to, Fallout New Vegas. I'll be playing plenty of RPGs this year.

2San

I want to be very careful about this both because many of Xenoblade's fans are obviously longtime RPG fans who have in no way been starved for games and because there's no real mystery behind people enjoying some of the game's features, but I do think that platform plays a part in Xenoblade's reputation on GAF. It strikes me that the import impressions (from a group we can assume, on average, plays more RPGs for more platforms) were more subdued than the rapturous response the game got when it finally hit the U.S. Besides which, any time I see someone post that Xenoblade "finally moves the jRPG genre forward," it immediately makes me suspicious that the poster doesn't play that many jRPGs (for the record, I felt the same when people said similar things about FFXII).
While, I didn't think Xenoblade was all that great either(still liked it). I'm curious as to which games from this generation has driven the JRPG genre forward? I did think that Xenoblade did a lot things good and other games can definitely learn from it.

Xilium

While, I didn't think Xenoblade was all that great either(still liked it). I'm curious as to which games from this generation has driven the JRPG genre forward? I did think that Xenoblade did a lot things good and other games can definitely learn from it.

The Soul games and Dragon's Dogma in terms of action combat systems. They did what WRPG's should have done a long time ago (The Witcher games are working towards a good combat system but the rest aren't even trying).

Otherwise, I don't know. I'm not really sure what people are looking for in terms of moving the genre forward. The two aforementioned games have very unique combat systems (for RPGs in general) that are fun, challenging, and functional that I think should be copied by similar games, which is why I mention them. Otherwise, every other game just made minor iterations of already existing game systems or they had a unique system but it isn't a system that other RPGs would aspire to use (TWEWY, The Last Rement, Valkyria Chronicles, ect.).

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Resonance of Fate is one I can say with confidence that it took the JRPG genre in a different direction.

upandaway

Can I use this thread for some recommendations?

I wanna play some oldschool RPGs. I'm looking at anything on Virtual Console, but not if it has a better version on PSP or DS (since I'd rather play those versions later. that means no Chrono Trigger).

I already played and loved (all of them on the handhelds):
DQ 4 and 5
Ys I & II
FF 1

I'm getting sort of overwhelmed by the selection. At first I wanted to go by the rankings in the OP but then numbered games happened and I wasn't sure if I could just hop in the middle of a series or what. I'm open to literally anything if you think I'll like it based on the above games!

Where are you from? There is a Final Fantasy sale on the European PSN starting today. That would be a good place to pick up one of the classic Final Fantasy games.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Can I use this thread for some recommendations?

I wanna play some oldschool RPGs. I'm looking at anything on Virtual Console, but not if it has a better version on PSP or DS (since I'd rather play those versions later. that means no Chrono Trigger).

I already played and loved (all of them on the handhelds):
DQ 4 and 5
Ys I & II
FF 1

I'm getting sort of overwhelmed by the selection. At first I wanted to go by the rankings in the OP but then numbered games happened and I wasn't sure if I could just hop in the middle of a series or what. I'm open to literally anything if you think I'll like it based on the above games!

Have you tried the Phantasy Star series? All 4 are available on Virtual Console (and also Japanese PSN under the "SEGA AGES: Phantasy Star Complete Collection", if you have a PS3).

1 and 2 are fantastic games but they are very punishing and at times can be obtuse, much moreso than even FF1. 3 is considered a disappointment by many and the "black sheep" of the series. 4 is an excellent game that is a lot more user-friendly and easy to get into than the rest of the series. It's many peoples' favorite in the franchise (even though I prefer 2 myself).

upandaway

But which FF? Money was never a problem for the older digitally distributed games, but the whole remakes and ports scenario is confusing me in addition to how many there are (including the spinoffs like tactics and mystic quest).

Have you tried the Phantasy Star series? All 4 are available on Virtual Console (and also Japanese PSN under the "SEGA AGES: Phantasy Star Complete Collection", if you have a PS3).

1 and 2 are fantastic games but they are very punishing and at times can be obtuse, much moreso than even FF1. 3 is considered a disappointment by many and the "black sheep" of the series. 4 is an excellent game that is a lot more user-friendly and easy to get into than the rest of the series. It's many peoples' favorite in the franchise (even though I prefer 2 myself).
That sounds nice if I can just jump into 4. I'll try it out and get into the rest if I like it.

kswiston

But which FF? Money was never a problem for the older digitally distributed games, but the whole remakes and ports scenario is confusing me in addition to how many there are (including the spinoffs like tactics and mystic quest).

Final Fantasy 6 (III on the SNES) is available on the Virtual Console. The GBA version had as many negatives as positives, and there has never been a full remake, so you could just go with that version.

Also, while it didn't make the main part of the aggregate list, Suikoden 1 on PSN is a great intro to the series.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
DQ8 at 42? Lunar at 60? GAF I don't even know WTF to do with you. This list is a travesty.

hemtae

Please explain your opinion. I think it's a great RPG.

Well I was partially drunk when I posted that, but DQVIII is tied with the first one for the worst Dragon Quest game imo. It was horribly slow and with a sub par story even within the Dragon Quest series and pretty graphics wasn't enough to save it.

Erm... Was about to buy Suikoden 2 to finally try it out... but it's not on the PSP like indicated. Is it coming soon or what?
My magic eightball says "outlook not so good."

Edit: There is a Japanese PSP release with the first two Suikoden games. It wasn't localized because of Sony's stupid policies.

Tizoc

My magic eightball says "outlook not so good."

Edit: There is a Japanese PSP release with the first two Suikoden games. It wasn't localized because of Sony's stupid policies.

IIRC, in the Suikoden Community thread, it was hinted that it is in the process of getting certified for release on PSN.

aravuus

I think I should start playing and finishing these games from the top. Because why the fuck not, more rpgs is more fun. Maybe I'll find something new.

They just released a remake for DQ7 on 3DS. It will probably come here in the next year or so. Even if it doesn't, I am guessing that is why they haven't released the game on PSN.

I know, but that remake will be expensive as fuck... :(

Also, I don't really "get" why they're remaking DQVII which is still perfectly playable today instead of remaking DQIII.

Celegus

Strangely enough, I've completed exactly 50 of the top 100. There's a few I've started and haven't finished and some my wife has played but not me, but 50% ain't too bad.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
IIRC, in the Suikoden Community thread, it was hinted that it is in the process of getting certified for release on PSN.
The PS1 game was the one he was hinting at, iirc.

I'm not sure some people would like to play the PSP version of 2 despite diagonal movement in GS1 and GS2 because you can't use the Matilda Glitch!

What a beautiful thread. Some day I will play Persona 4. Pretty sure my brother has it and I'm looking for a game to play. So maybe right about now is a good time.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Just managed to get a copy of Xenoblade from a GameStop yesterday. Still expensive at $60 but much better than the $130+ it goes for on eBay.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Itching to play an RPG,which of these should I tackle next?

Tales of Vesperia
Lost Odyssey
Final Fantasy XII

Honestly, you're not going to go wrong with any of these choices. They offer something different and something great. It's a matter of which will appeal to you more.

ToV is more active in combat and has a great narrative theme. The gameplay is excellent.

Lost Odyssey is a turn-based game and is an old school game of sorts. Great story and excellent supplementary narrative readings.

FFXII is like an MMO of sorts but essentially is a turn-based game when you get right down to it.

kswiston

Itching to play an RPG,which of these should I tackle next?

Tales of Vesperia
Lost Odyssey
Final Fantasy XII

Wasn't expecting to see this thread bumped up my Sub list!

I usually recommend going with the shortest game first if you plan of finishing all those titles, but I think all three are in the same ballpark as far as length is concerned.

If the Final Fantasy X remaster sells well, I could see FFXII getting the HD treatment. S-E needs the cash, and even with the amount of work they are putting into the FFX upscale, It's still cheaper than developing something new. With that in mind, I'd probably play the other two first and see if there is an announcement. You've already waited 7 years. Another year or two won't change much!

Nert

I just finished playing Planescape: Torment for the first time. Wow! I kind of aimlessly fumbled my way through the small amount of combat in the game while soaking up the atmosphere and the excellent writing. The Nameless One is easily the most fascinating protagonist that I've played as in a videogame, and the the particulars of his backstory are highly conducive to actual conversational role-playing. Whenever this topic comes up again, I'm going to write quite a lot more about this game.

kswiston

I just finished playing Planescape: Torment for the first time. Wow! I kind of aimlessly fumbled my way through the small amount of combat in the game while soaking up the atmosphere and the excellent writing. The Nameless One is easily the most fascinating protagonist that I've played as in a videogame, and the the particulars of his backstory are highly conducive to actual conversational role-playing. Whenever this topic comes up again, I'm going to be writing quite a lot more about this game.

Planescape is one of those games I started and never finished that I plan on picking back up one day.

I haven't decided if I am going to run this thread again at the end of the year yet. The 2013 version turned into burn out levels of work, even with all the help. At the same time, I think it turned out really well, and serves its intended purpose until we get some shakeup from new releases. I might take a year off and let next gen kick into gear before returning at the end of 2014. By then some of the Kickstarter RPGs should be out, as well as sequels to some of the games at the top of the list. Atlus can't hold back Persona 5 forever!

kswiston

sorry to bump this, but photos are gone. this is one of the best threads on GAF, let's keep it alive.

Photos should be back now.

Somehow I blew through my Photobucket's 10GB bandwidth limit in 11 days. No idea how, since I only have a total of 33MB worth of images on there, and most of them are from these RPG threads...

Anyhow, I upgraded my account for the month to fix the problem. I'm glad people still view this thread for suggestions.

Top Bottom