• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Top/Essential RPGs

Ganondorfo

ULTROS! said:
1. Earthbound
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Suikoden II
4. Final Fantasy IX
5. Parasite Eve
6. Star Ocean: The Second Story/Evolution
7. Tales of the Abyss
8. Kingdom Hearts
9. Super Mario RPG
10. Persona 4

Honorable mentions: Star Ocean: The Last Hope, FFX, and Xenogears. :p

I love that your name is ultros, yet you dont have final fantasy 6 in your list...

Dineren

Banned
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VII
Dragon Quest VIII
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Earthbound
Baldur's Gate II
Demon's Souls
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Etrian Odyssey
Knights of the Old Republic

They aren't in any particular order, but those are my favorite rpgs of all time with DQ V and Morrowind being two of my favorite games in any genre.

Kenaras

In no particular order:

World of Warcraft
Fallout
Final Fantasy VII
Quest for Glory II: Trial by Fire
Mass Effect 2
Diablo II
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos
Pool of Radiance
The Bard's Tale

The older ones don't hold up today, but I have fond memories of them.

Fireblend

Banned
1. Final Fantasy IX
2. Grandia
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Chrono Cross
5. Earthbound
6. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Old Door
7. Mother 3
8. Golden Sun
9. Final Fantasy VI
10. Pokemon Crystal

C-Jo

Persona 4 is at the top of my list by far.

The rest, in no particular order:

Dragon Quest VIII
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
Front Mission 3
Persona 3 FES
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy VII

And if you want to count them, both Mass Effects.

My list (in no particular order):

Final Fantasy V
Yes, five. I want this job system in another main FF game, please.

Magi-nation *
A GBC game no one played, apparently. Good sense of humor, and reasonably well executed.

The World Ends With You
I liked its unique approach to combat on the DS. I also liked the setting, the style, and the soundtrack.

Pokemon G/S
If I had to pick one generation, it would be this one.

Kingdom Hearts
Yes, the story's confusing. No, I don't care.

Illusion of Gaia
I didn't play Soul Blazer or Terranigma until much later, so this is the entry in the series I have rose-tinted glasses for. Probably the first ARPG I played. Terranigma is probably better, though.

Golden Sun
This and its sequel/continuation stand out as some of the best RPGs for the GBA.

King's Bounty: The Legend
Apparently I like RPGs that don't take themselves entirely seriously. Go figure.

Final Fantasy Tactics A2
An improvement over the first in every way, even if the story leaves something to be desired.

RZI

Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest VIII
Front Mission 3
Grandia
Planescape: Torment
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Terranigma (Hidden gem)
Vagrant Story
Ys (Hidden Gem)
Ys II (Hidden Gem)

This is hard!

kswiston

I think we are reaching the saturation point of people who want to contribute to the thread, so I have moved the voting deadline from Feb 14th to Feb 12th. That will give me time on the weekend to work on the results.

Also, I don't think my wife would appreciate me spending Valentine's Day night tallying votes on a NeoGAF thread :D

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
In no way do I want to categorize all the participants as lacking good taste in RPGs, as that's clearly not the case at *all*, but it seems like the end result is going to be pretty bad (like the best games of all time vote). Too many younger folks and folks without exposure to much besides FF.

But we'll see.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
1. Xenogears
2. Final Fantasy 6
3. Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 2)
4. Chrono Trigger
5. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
6. Lufia and the Fortress of Doom (Hidden Gem)*
7. Final Fantasy IX
8. Fallout 3
9. Illusion of Gaia

*While Lufia II was great, I think it really stopped some people from enjoying Lufia 1. While #2 did fix some issues, I still find myself enjoying the first much much more.

elbkhm

Dragon Quest IV- Hard choice between this and V, but IV wins with its chapter-based structure, and lots of characters to pick from, rather than monsters.
Planescape: Torment - Story, setting, and writing. Probably the best wrpg ever.
Fallout - Great setting, funny dialogue, and multiple ways to solve problems. Great game.
System Shock 2 - Beats out Deus Ex because of its intense atmposhere.
Chrono Trigger - Nothing to say really. Best jrpg ever.
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 - Takes the brilliant formula of Persona 3, and polishes it to a mirror shine. Loved it.
Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant - Favorite dungeon crawler. Beats out VI by having more vaired environments, and a better story. Sadly, never finished it. One day.
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - Favorite strategy RPG. Lots of emphasis on unit movement and placement, less on pre-battle preperation and class choices. Just awesome.
Final Fantasy VI - Favorite game in the series. Best music, cool story, fantastic sprite work. Open-ended World of Ruin is the icing on the cake.
Final Fantasy X - First truly cinematic Final Fantasy. Interesting character development (sphere grid), speedy and fun combat system, great music, and spectacular graphics.

EviLore said:
In no way do I want to categorize all the participants as lacking good taste in RPGs, as that's clearly not the case at *all*, but it seems like the end result is going to be pretty bad (like the best games of all time vote). Too many younger folks and folks without exposure to much besides FF.

But we'll see.

I'm actually surprised at how good some of these lists are. Yeah, JRPGs seem to outweigh the WRPGs (I'm assuming you aren't a huge fan of the former considering your list) but there are quite a few quality titles (both known and unknown) in both genres in this thread.

Also, Even the seasoned RPG gamers are including FF on their list. Fans of the series may never agree on which ones are good and which ones suck, but it's hard finding a JRPG fan that doesn't think at least one of the games in the series is essential.

kswiston

EviLore said:

But we'll see.

I haven't tallied everything, but Planescape Torment has over 40 votes. I think the top 25 is going to be quality titles for the most part. Maybe a tad heavy on Final Fantasy, but I am pleased to see the wrpgs getting a lot of love.

Alright! In no particular order. I never thought I'd be into RPGs ever again but western RPGs made it possible!

Dragon Age Origins
Oblivion
Dragon Quest Monsters (the old one)
Pokemon Red
Tales of Symphonia
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Golden Sun
Fallout 3

Going to play Baldur's Gate 2 now, btw! I've owned it since forever but I never got past the first dungeon. :lol

Ultima Online
Nocturne
Persona 3 Fes
Grandia 2
Riviera: The Promised Land
Etrian Odyssey
Dragon Quest
Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Quest V
Final Fantasy IV

Rebochan

EviLore said:

But we'll see.

Younger folks would be throwing more votes towards games like Fallout and Dragon Age, not JRPG franchises that have been quiet for years.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Rebochan said:
Younger folks would be throwing more votes towards games like Fallout and Dragon Age, not JRPG franchises that have been quiet for years.

Where did I say otherwise? Or are you assuming I'm only complaining about the volume of JRPGs ;b

dejan

• Wizardry VII - David W. Bradley's masterpiece. The best first-person step based rpg ever. Also Ninjas, Samurai and lizard people.
  • Ultima VII (The Black Gate + Serpent Isle) - High point of the series and the last party-based Ultima. My personal favorite rpg of all time.
  • Pool of Darkness - After several mediocre entries in their Gold Box series SSI went out with a bang. You want to (re)play just one Gold Box game? This is the one.
  • Vampires: Bloodlines - Unique setting, great writing and after several community patches actually playable. More rpgs should take place in a modern day, real world like setting. Makes me excited for Alpha Protocol.
  • Planescape: Torment - Rumor has it that the writing's quite competent in this one. Unique setting and some pretty memorable characters and locations.
  • Starflight II - Something, something in space. I demand a sequel.
  • Mass Effect 2 - Fell in love with the series the day BioWare announced the first game. The shooter-rpg genre has been born.
  • Fallout - Maybe not the first rpg in a post-apocalyptic world, but one of, if not, the best.

EviLore said:

But we'll see.
There should be another voting thread for people that have completed 80+ RPGs only :D

AniHawk

Mass Effect
Valkyria Chronicles
Terranigma
Skies of Arcadia
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
Final Fantasy XII
Chrono Trigger
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

TheExodu5

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Chrono Trigger
Lufia 2
Persona 4
Suikoden 2
Demon's Souls
World of Warcraft
Star Ocean 3
Disgaea 3

I feel like I need to bump something out and put in SMT: Nocturne. But what? Hmmm as much as I love Lufia 2 I might have to bump it off.

edit: bye bye Lufia 2. :(

There are plenty of WRPGs I have yet to fully experience so I'm not ready to put any of them down yet.

Final Fantasy XI
Tales of Rebirth
Chrono Trigger
Xenogears
Diablo II
Super Robot Wars Alpha 3
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete
Demon's Souls
Valkyria Chronicles

byropoint

Final Fantasy IX
Chrono Cross
Legend of Legaia
Breath of Fire IV
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VI
Vagrant Story
Persona 4
Front Mission 3
Xenogears

ksamedi

Baldurs Gate 2
Fallout 2
Star Wars Knight of the old republic
Dragon Age
Final Fantasy VIII
Vagrant Story
Dragon Quest VIII
Shin Megami Tensei Lucifers Call
Mario and Luigi Bowsers inside story
Grandia

eXistor

In no particular order:

Earthbound
I named this one because I don't want multiple games in a series in the list, but PLEASE don't pass up on Mother 3, it's equally amazing.

Demon's Souls

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy XII

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
I know, the game has tons of problems. Truth is, I think this might be the funnest rpg I've played in a long, long time and I think the games' faults actually contribute to the fun. It really doesn't deserve to be in any respectable top 10 list from an objective pov, but dammit I'm putting it in!

Persona 4

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl

Fallout 1

Dragon Quest VIII
Still the one I had most fun with (also having played IV, V and VII)

Phantasy Star II
Even though I know that IV is the better game, I played PSII as a kid and it left a profound impression on me, I didnt play IV until just a few years ago so it just doesn't have that impact.

I'm aware that I'm leaving out a lot of PC classics(and console fot that matter), but they would probably fill out the rest of the list. Also, I find it very hard to leave out the games in this list even though I'm also aware that a lot of them are in there purely based on nostalgia. I'm sure had I played a lot of the PC classics when they came out they would be dominating the top 10 instead of console rpg's. Nostalgia's a bitch I tell ya.

/edit: I've deleted Suikoden II from the list for point-counting purposes.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Okay, my ten most memorable RPGs of all time (let's see if I have played that many).

Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
Final Fantasy IX (PS1)
Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Chrono Cross (PS1)
Planescape: Torment (PC)
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (PC)
Eye of the Beholder (Amiga)
Black Crypt (Amiga exclusive, incredible atmosphere)
Demon's Souls (PS3)

To be honest, I can think of plenty of RPGS that deserves to be on that list just as much as the others. So, it's basically just ten examples of RPGs I love/d.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
My personal fave RPG's, from the limited selection of what I've played...

Skies of Arcadia
Morrowind
KOTOR
Mass Effect 1/2
Dragon Age
Demon's Souls
Tales of Vesperia

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Ganondorfo said:
I love that your name is ultros, yet you dont have final fantasy 6 in your list...

I knew I forgot something. :(

1. Earthbound + FFVI

ashk

Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate 2
Fallout
The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
Persona 4
Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy X
Chrono Trigger
Diablo 2
Valkyria Chronicles

Suikoden II
Suikoden III
Suikoden V
Grandia
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Shining Force II
Shining Force III (split in three scenarios)
Digital Devil Saga (split in two scenarios)
Xenogears
Final Fantasy Tactics

Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door
Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story
Final Fantasy VII
Chrono Trigger
Baten Kaitos Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
Tales of Symphonia
Suikoden Tierkreis
Pokémon Gold & Silver
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift

I'm not considering any The Legend of Zelda or Monster Hunter as RPG.

krashe

1. Digital Devil Saga (this counts as one right?)
2. Final Fantasy 4 (bitches just don't understand FuSoYa)
3. Shadow hearts
4. Shadow hearts 2
5. Persona 3
6. SMT: noctourne
7. Baten Kaitos (i prefer the battle system from 1, over 2's "streamlined shit")
8. Panzer Dragoon Saga
9. Megaman X: command mission (yes i'm a fanboy) *very very hidden gem*
10. Castlevana: Symphony of the Night.

Tons of shit missed my list, my newly discovered love of mass effect 2, dragon age - which i'm completely enthralled with... magna carta 2, and lets not even get me started on ps2 era shit. but these 10 are beyond amazing in their scope.

Digital Devil Saga took the normal mega-ten formula and not so much made it mainstream as added a more focused story, which took nothing from the amazing art direction and music. Look h0's ARGILLA has MOUTHS on her BEWBS... like her bewbs talk in the cut scenes that shit's hawt... (comming from a gay man this is a sad sad statement)

FF4 gave us not only THE template for all modern rpg's hell for anything that's narritve driven and played interactively. ATB for the motha' fucking win.

Hell i even loved Shadow hearts 3. i really wish in my heart we could get more of this series... but - yeah you know.

Persona 3... yeah i liked it better than 4. and FES just solidified that. I liked the characters more. "Stupei", Akihiko, and even that creepy Igor = win... always.

Baten Kaitos... i actually liked the Scitso-overdosing on acid, while shooting heroin story. fucking awesome battle mechanics. not only does the game hit the Collection button, but it hit the crafting buttons, the micro-managing buttons, and wrapped it up in some awesome pre-rendered environments. Music was chill too.

Panzer Saga... if you don't have a copy under lock and key waiting to retire on its proceeds, i really doubt you'll play this. but i just found a sealed copy at a yard sale for $5.00...--- for real. (btw this is my second favorite Panzer game... zweii takes the cake there but that's a shooter)

Bitches you know you have a wii, go to Gamestop buy a copy of command mission for 4. bucks and enjoy. its like some awesome cell shaded saturday morning insanity. how the fuck can you not love Zero getting bat wings and shit? and leveling up X, and getting his ronin warriors style armor? DAAAAOOO CCHIIIII!!!!

The mother of all metroidvania's all bow to the great grand pappy of the action rpg. embrace its magic, love the shitty voice overs... rage at the shitty drop rates, and realize: yes, this shit is an rpg... yes this shit is awesome... yes you will ALWAYS want more. Then go buy a ds, and thank god for Konami.

Flakster99

1. Baldur's Gate 2
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Final Fantasy VI
4. Planescape: Torment
5. Final Fantasy IV
6. Earthbound
7. Tales of Vesperia
8. Secrets of Mana
9. Final Fantasy VII
10. Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord

Vagrant Story
Valkyria Chronicles
Majora's Mask
Mother 3
Okami
Persona 4
Paper Mario
Skies Of Arcadia

Just wanted to get my votes in, will edit in elaborations on each one later if needed.

Zaptruder

Banned
We should be able to distill a true reflection of RPG quality by only counting lists that include Planescape Torment. Hell, if someone else doesn't do it, I'm pretty sure I will.

1. Planescape Torment
2. Fallout 1 & 2
3. Ultima 6
4. Ultima 7 + SI
5. Final Fantasy VII (it's an essential RPG to understand the context of many discussions)
6. Demon's Souls
7. Morrowind
8. Baldur's Gate 2 + Shadows of Amn expansion pack
9. World of Warcraft
10. Diablo II

Zaptruder said:
We should be able to distill a true reflection of RPG quality by only counting lists that include Planescape Torment. Hell, if someone else doesn't do it, I'm pretty sure I will.

I fully endorse this opinion.

selig

Banned
mixing wrpgs and jrpgs? uh, that´ll be a strange list. Anyway:

1. Skies of Arcadia (Legends)
2. Mass Effect
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Vampore: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
5. Diablo 2
6. Pokemon (Blue, soon Soul Silver)
7. Final Fantasy 8
8. Mass Effect 2
9. Drakensang
10. Baten Kaitos

WAH, fuck the numbers, I could as well rearrange it all. Oh, Ill just leave it...meh...

Micius

System Shock 2
Planescape Torment
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
The Witcher
Baldur's Gate 2
Fallout 2

Persona: Innocent Sin
Terranigma
Lufia 2
Grandia

Planescape Torment. I've heard good things about that game. Has it aged well? There are many old RPG type games I can't play anymore, like System Shock 2.

xzoowy

In no particular order

KOTOR 1
FF6
FF4
Secret of Mana
Phantasy Star 4
Chrono Trigger
Baten Kaitos Origin (Milly and Guillo ftw !)
Demon's Souls
Persona 4
Skies of Arcadia

DieNgamers said:
Planescape Torment. I've heard good things about that game. Has it aged well? There are many old RPG type games I can't play anymore, like System Shock 2.

It runs on the old Infinity Engine which means 640x480 rez, which would kill most younger gamers nowadays. If you've ever played the first Baldur's Gate, you know what you are in for. Still holds up really well, in my opinon, but I am a nostalgic old man. Music and voice acting is still aces too.

DieNgamers said:

The game is phenomenal. Probably boasts the best writing in a game to date. There are a couple of patches/mods that boost the resolution, add support for widescreen and add better textures and make it extremely playable. Definitely worth your time.

Finaika

1. Skies of Arcadia
2. Xenosaga Episode 3 (1 & 2 are good too)
3. Shadow Hearts II (From the New World is good too)
4. Dragon Force
5. Phantasy Star Online
6. World of Warcraft
7. Tales of the Abyss
8. Grandia (toss up between 2,3 & Xtreme)
9. Shining the Holy Ark
10. Dragon Quest VIII

duckroll

I think I'll get in on this just before the voting ends. 10 picks right? No particular order...

1. Fallout 2
2. Planescape Torment
3. Final Fantasy V
4. Vagrant Story
5. Shin Megami Tensei 3
6. Diablo 2
7. Breath of Fire 5: Dragon Quarter
8. Xenogears
9. Etrian Odyssey
10. Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep

TheUglyDrunk said:
It runs on the old Infinity Engine which means 640x480 rez, which would kill most younger gamers nowadays. If you've ever played the first Baldur's Gate, you know what you are in for. Still holds up really well, in my opinon, but I am a nostalgic old man. Music and voice acting is still aces too.
I don't care about graphics, I played Diablo 2 recently. :D I meant in terms of gameplay mechanics. Diablo 2 for example feels timeless for some reason. It was simple and is still a great game, imo. Same with BG2 which I'm playing right now.
Edit: Ah, from the makers of Baldur's Gate? Even uses the same engine, I see. I should try it, then. :D

jdforge

Banned
I've been playing videogames all my life, and I've never once played a RPG! This thread could be useful in pointing me in the right direction as to where I should begin...

Top Bottom