• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Top/Essential RPGs

BeeDog

My favorite games ever/THE best games ever:

1. Baldur's Gate 2 (+ expansion)
2. Baldur's Gate (+ expansion)
3. Gothic 2: Gold Edition
4. Gothic
5. Deus Ex
6. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
7. Icewind Dale 2
8. Icewind Dale (+ expansion)
9. Planescape: Torment
10. Neverwinter Nights 2 (+ expansions)

Honorable mentions (a.k.a. awesome games that didn't fit in the above list):

Fallout 1/2/3 (+ DLC), Risen, Dragon Age: Origins, Morrowind (+ expansions), Oblivion (+ expansions/DLC), KoTOR 1/2, The Witcher, Demon's Souls, Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny

Skies of Arcadia
Shining Force III (do all scenarios count as 1 game?)
Golden Sun
Grandia II
Tales of Vesperia
Lost Odyssey
Panzer Dragoon Azel/RPG

· Deus Ex
· System Shock 2
· Diablo 2
· Fallout 2
· Demon's Souls
· Vampire Bloodlines (after all the unofficial updates)
· Final Fantasy 6
· Breath of Fire 2
· Mass Effect
· Heroes of Might & Magic 2

1. Chrono Cross
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Final Fantasy VI
4. Diablo II
5. Final Fantasy IV
6. Persona 3
7. Final Fantasy VII
8. Oblivion
9. Final Fantasy X
10. Mario RPG

-Eddman-

- Super Mario RPG
Right when I was a young and stupid 9 year old, this one got me into the basic RPG mechanics. Great characters and awesome soundtrack, one of my best memories of the Snes era.

-Pokémon Red/Blue
From 1998 to 2002 I forgot the realm of God and joined the Pokémon cult. Got my first handheld ever (a red GB Pocket) just for this game. Along with Ocarina of time and Starcraft, that year made me realize I was a hopeless gaming geek :D

-Final Fantasy III/VI
I was really LTTP with this, probably in 2000-2002, but absolutely stands as one of my all time favorites. The best OST I have ever heard in a game and the best characters in a FF ever.

-Dragon Quest VIII
My first game in this franchise, beautiful soundtrack and addictive mechanics.

-Golden Sun
Loved the summons and the characters. One of the first games I played on the GBA.

-Diablo 2
In my opinion, the best 2D game from Blizzard. Addictive, great story, awesome FMV's for the time and an insane amount of items to get.

-World of Warcraft
Undeniable king of the MMORPG genre.

-Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
My first WRPG (well i played a little bit of Drakken on the Snes when I was like 5/6 years old... but I didn't know WTF was goin' on and hated it, so... doesn't count :lol ) Just bought it to test the graphics of my new desktop back in 2006. A great world with endless things to do, even my jrpg-lover brother liked it, really accessible to newcomers.

Currently playing Vagrant Story, which might be getting into the list soon, loving it so far.

God Tier

Golden Sun & Golden Sun The Lost Age (They're 2 parts of one game)
Super Mario RPG
Paper Mario
Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story
Skies of Arcadia
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy 7
Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon
Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow/Fire Red/Leaf Green
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

The following ones are also awesome but somewhat lower on the ladder rung...

Tales of Symphonia
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy 3
Mystic Quest (Screw the haters, I love this game!)
Mario & Luigi Partners in Time
Chrono Cross
Baten Kaitos
Baten Kaitos Origins
Tales of Eternia
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald

Brashnir

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Champions of Norrath
Shining Force
Final Fantasy 6/3
Mass Effect
Everquest (Pre-Planes of Power)
Wild Arms
Golden Sun
Dragon Age
Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time

Kevitivity

In no particular order...

Fallout 3
Mass Effect 2
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy 7 (PSP remake)
Ultima VI
Sid Meier's Pirates! (2004 PC)
Bard's Tale
Diablo
Zelda: A Link to the Past

deim0s

In no particular order:

Baldurs Gate 2
Icewind Dale 1
Mass Effect 1/2
Ultima VI/VII
Fallout 1
System Shock 2
Dragon Age: Origins
NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer

Mael

My 10 picks :

Yoshi's Island Romancing Saga
Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy 3 Shining Force 3
Earthbound/Mother
Golden Sun (mostly Lost Age)
Final Fantasy XII
Seiken Densetsu 3
Bahamut Lagoon
Mario & Luigi : Superstar Saga
Fire Emblem

Speical mention :
Romancing Saga 2 & 3
Saga Frontier 1 & 2
Legend of Mana, Seiken Densetsu (Sword of Mana & Mystic quest)
FFIV & V, FFI&IX
Pokemons
Paper Mario
Fire Emblem Path of radiance (and its sequel, I would have finished them they would be up there)
Super Mario RPG
M&L Bowser's Story (still not finished)
Kingdom Hearts 1
Baten Kaitos & Origin
Treasure Hunter G & Riviera, Yggdra Union

Gorgon

1- Planescape: Torment
2- The Witcher
3- Demon's Souls
4- Persona 4
5- Fallout
6- Knights of the Old Republic
7- Eye of the Beholder 2
8- Perihelion
9- Icewind Dale
10- Deux Ex

Final Fantasy 6
Baldur's Gate 2
Zelda: Link's Awakening
Planescape: Torment
Chrono Trigger
Paper Mario
Valkyrie Profile
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy 5
Zelda II/Monster World 4 (tie)

Bottom two are hidden/underappreciated gems.

I really, really need to finish more games.

Sacha

Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
Disgaea 3
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Half Minute Hero
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
The Last Remnant

Kyosuke

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (and pretty much any other Fire Emblem game)
Baten Kaitos Origins
Valkyrie Profile
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Baldur's Gate 2 (+ Throne of Bhaal)
Planescape Torment
Yggdra Union (+ Riviera and Knights in the Nightmare. They're probably not that 'hidden' no Neogaf, but I think everyone who likes SRPGs should give Yggdra Union a go)
Suikoden 2
Mother 3

Not listed, but also worth playing: Dragon Quest series, Dragon Quarter, Final Fantasy V and X, The Witcher, Mask of the Betrayer, Fallout 2, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Golden Sun, Skies of Arcadia, Mario & Luigi, Paper Mario, Diablo 2, Tales of Vesperia, Vampire Bloodlines, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Vagrant Story, Persona 3, Grandia 1 and 2, Etrian Odyssey, many others.

Olorin

Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem: the Sacred Stones
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Paper Mario
Paper Mario: the Thousand-Year Door
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Pokemon Ruby
Ultima Underworld: the Stygian Abyss

Ikkarus

Here goes:

Valkyria Chronicles: This game is just beautiful. A great step up for the SRPG games in general and mix in the water coloured graphics and powerful music and you have a winner. Great cast of characters too.

Tales of Symphonia: One of the few Tales games to reach PAL and I for one am glad this one did. Story had me pulled from the start and the actual fighting mechanics were engossing and addictive. Cast of characters were a mix from decent to superb and each had their own past revealed as you played.

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean: Unique battle system which I personally liked, cards mixed in with luck. Loved how the story panned out, just a shame the Origins never made it over to PAL.

Final Fantasy X: This game hit me when I really wanted a great game, so glad I played this fantastic title. Easily my favourite FF chapter so far. Story, characters, music and graphics were outstanding to me.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: Excellent progression to 3D. The story was very dark and I loved playing through it with only Navvi to guide me. Epic final stage as well that will always remain in my memories. Fantastic from start to finish.

Jeanne d'Arc: I simply just loved playing this game. Everything about it just clicked with me. I guess the only real downside to this game was the length but maybe that was just me wanting to keep playing it.

Skies Of Arcadia: Legends: Pirates Wrath! (sorry). An awesome bunch of sky pirates doing battle not only on land but with your actual flying pirate ship too. I missed this on the Dreamcast so having the chance to replay it on the Gamecube made me grateful that I could actually play it.

Fallout 3: From the second you break out of the vault you are just left to create your own story and means of getting around the wasteland. I loved the freedom you got and coupled with the things you had to fight and finding out information just felt right. VAT's was swell too.

Mass Effect: This game gripped me from start to finish and never let me go. It was a rollercoaster of a ride playing through this. Sure the resources quests were tedious but they never were compulsory. A real strong cast and the simple fact the lead character talks in the dialogue options just makes it all the more engrossing when making choices.

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions: The original one on the PSX made me fall in love with SRPG games the PSP remake just built upon the world of Ivalice and I for one loved replaying it on the handheld. This game defines the SRPG genre for me.

Celine

Without order:

Terranigma and the other Quintet RPGs.
Final Fantasy VI ( and I loved 7 when it was released but I'm not sure how it aged ).
Chrono Trigger.
Mother 3.
Most Dragon Quest ( although my favorite one is probably IV )
Golden Sun is quite good albeit unoriginal ( with the due exception )
Phantasy Star IV ( best Mega Drive RPG IMO and one of the best 16 bit so by default one of the best ever ).
Enjoyed YS 1&2 on TurboDuo.

On PC I liked Planetscape Torment and Anachronox ( so underrated ).

kswiston

I am keeping an ongoing tally of votes. If you posted on the first page (first two if you are a 50 posts per page person) and want to make corrections, please point out the corrections in a new post.

I will announce when I get around to tallying the second page (maybe tonight).

sublimit

Banned
Demon's Souls
Valkyria Chronicles
Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy IV (DS)
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII
Dark Chronicle
Breath of Fire IV

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
1. Final Fantasy VII or X
2. Diablo II
3. World of Warcraft
4. Demon's Souls
5. ESIII: Morrowind
6. Seiken Densetsu 3
7. Lufia 2
8. Suikoden II
9. Tales of Phantasia
10. Fallout 3

My list is pretty mainstream. In no particular order outside of number 1

Mass Effect: Probably my favorite game of all time, even with the clunky combat and technical issues. Loved the cinematic feel, dramatic moments, and the tough decisions you were forced to make. Dialogue wheel was genius.
Baldur's Gate 2: Argueably the best WRPG ever created, insane amount of depth, no brainer.
Planescape: Torment: One of if not the best story I've ever encountered in any game, with an amazingly unique setting / world. Cast of characters were legendary too.
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: Great gameplay, amazing plot twist, classic Bioware formula. Star Wars done right.
Chrono Trigger: My favorite JRPG. Great art, characters, and world. Didn't take itself too seriously but still had some heart wrenching moments throughout the game. Music was superb too.
Final Fantasy 7: Propelled JRPGS to mainstream level, amazing graphics at the time. You know Who's death was like a punch to the gut.
The Witcher: Mature story, legitmately morally gray decisions and plot. Loved how your decisions impacted and changed the game 10-15 hours after you had made them.
Dragon Age Origins: Bioware's return to a more "traditional" RPG and the "spirtual successor to Baldur's Gate". Really dug the world, the lore, and the characters. Combat was a blast too.
Final Fantasy Tactics: Best SRPG ever, even with the crap translation. "Don't blame me, blame yourself or God"
Mass Effect 2: A little early I know with it just hitting shelves 2 weeks ago, but it's the streamlined, improved and epic sequel to ME1.

Honorable Mentions

Fallout 1 / 2, Baldur's Gate 1, Final Fantasy 3, Neverwinter Nights 2: MOTB

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
There are so many to pick, but I'll keep it fairly oldskool for now. Not in any sort of order, except Phantasy Star 2 is #1.

Phantasy Star 1 - the game that changed everything for me. Granted, some of the gameplay may seem dated (repetitive dungeons, simplified combat), but after only playing DQ1, Ultima 3 NES, and FF1, this game was just so absolutely mindblowing. It quickly became my favorite game of all time, just after seeing it at a friend's house, and made me want a Genesis for PS2 and 3, instead of the SNES I was dying to get upon its release. The graphics were awesome (animated monsters! smoothly scrolling 3D dungeons!), music was catchy, and I loved all the different planets you got to explore, as well as the different vehicles you can ride. Very challenging and extremely nonlinear as soon as you get your spaceship, too.

Phantasy Star 2 - my favorite game ever. Amazing setting, some of the best plot twists in video game history, extremely difficult dungeons.

Phantasy Star 4 - the offline PS games are my favorite franchise in all of gaming, and this is the perfect send-off (before PS turned into a despicable online game). The music is varied, the nods to the rest of the series (even the black sheep, PS3), the macro system (every turn-based RPG should have one of these), combination attacks, it's all here. Oh, and not to mention some awesome manga-influenced cutscenes.

Star Ocean: The Second Story - ridiculous amount of customization, all sorts of private actions that change around the ending, extremely fast-paced and fun battles, huge variety of gameplay, challenging postgame content. Only complains were the middling story and bad translation/dubbing. Actually the bad voice acting gives the game its charm.

Valkyrie Profile - I loved how the game's setup was different from your typical RPG, and the tale was extremely dark and depressing. The sidescrolling dungeons were a great idea (as my other favorite genre is 2D sidescrollers), and I like the combo-oriented battle system. Only problem was, getting the "good" ending was extremely obtuse and required a guide.

Dragon Quest 5 - probably the height of the DQ series. I love how the storyline spans the life of one person, from a young boy up till he gets married and has kids. Extremely epic in scope, in the way that only the DQ series can be.

Final Fantasy 5 - my favorite of the FF series. My first FF was 1, so a semi-throwback to that game, but expanding on the job system and allowing you to create combinations of different classes was a lot of fun. Game also had a great soundtrack.

Final Fantasy 4 - I'll never forget being absolutely blown away by the soundtrack, the first time hearing it. The game was also one of the first heavily story-based games I've played, so I'll always have great memories of it.

Chrono Trigger - It's a little too short, and gameplay a bit too simple, but the lush 2D graphics, amazing music (my favorite soundtrack ever), and cool time-travel premise makes up for that.

Skies of Arcadia - it's Kodama, how could you go wrong? I love getting and customizing my airship, the epic ship battles, the scope and breadth of the world, the different discoveries you made, the puzzle-filled dungeons, charming characters and back-to-basics storyline (especially at a time when more and more RPGs tried going the extremely complex philosophical route) Random encounters got on my nerves a bit though.

runners up: Live A Live, Dragon Quest 3, Dragon Quest 8, Suikoden 2, Mother 3, Ys Book 1 and 2, Ys IV, Ys: Oath in Felghana, Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals, Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Baten Kaitos: Origins, Valkyria Chronicles, Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy 1, SoulBlazer, Terranigma, Ultima IV, Shining Force 2, Landstalker, Grandia, SaGa 2, Secret of Mana, Fallout 3, Planescape Torment, Tengai Makyo: The Apocalypse IV, The World Ends With You, Tales of Vesperia

1. PANZER DRAGOON SAGA
2. Shenmue (this counts I think? Its the strongest definition of a Role Playing Game to me)
3. Persona 3 FES
4. Grandia 2
5. Okami
6. Demon's Souls
7. Valkyria Chronicles
8. Persona 4
9. Final Fantasy VII
10. Final Fantasy VIII

Interfectum

Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Diablo 2
Dragon Age
Fallout 3
The Witcher
Suikoden I
Suikoden II
Knights of the Old Republic

XTERC

Dungeon Master (Amiga)
Final Fantasy VII
Jeanne d'Arc
Fallout 3
Shadowrun (SNES)
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
Demon Souls
Final Fanstasy XI
Xenogears
Final Fantasy Tactics

Reading this thread makes me realise I've missed out on playing a considerable amount of highly revered series. I'm looking forward to the results.

No order:

Panzer Dragoon Saga
Demons Souls
Fallout 3
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy X
Guild Wars
Grandia 2
Silver
Dragonforce
Shining Force III

Of course there are a lot more. It's hard to name just 10 lol Should have named games like FF7:CC, Jeanne D'arc, FFVII, etc. Ah well.

gogojira

Mother 3
Chrono Trigger
Paper Mario

I could list more, but I'd just be repeating what a lot of other people are saying. As for the Zelda titles, I don't consider them RPGs so I won't post any. Actually, I'll refrain from hybrids altogether.

Wrekt

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Mass Effect (1, haven't played 2 yet)
Earthbound
Super Mario RPG

I guess I am answering more of the question of being essential rather than being the best:

Chrono Trigger - Absolute favorite game regardless of genre
Persona 4
Final Fantasy IV - This is essential to understanding the progress of the genre.
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII - If there is one essential RPG this has to be it. It may not be my favorite or the best RPG around but damn is it essential.
Dragon Quest V
Earthbound
Pokemon
The World Ends With You - I've been trying to think of a more essential RPG...and I'm having trouble topping this, so I guess that's my last choice.

Mother 3: I am not close to even finishing this game, but I can tell that it is one of the most special games I have ever played. This is a game that needs to be played by more people.

Mass Effect 2 - Pretty confident this will make my list but I am only 8 hrs into the game so I cannot justify putting it on this list.

In fact my favorite FF is VIII, I am not including it because I do not feel it is as essential as these other games.

lljride

1. Persona 4
2. Final Fantasy 6
3. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
4. Dragon Quest VIII
5. Lunar: Eternal Blue
6. Kingdom Hearts 2
7. Final Fantasy Tactics
8. Demon's Souls
9. Disgaea
10. Grandia

Hugbot

kswiston said:
I am keeping an ongoing tally of votes. If you posted on the first page (first two if you are a 50 posts per page person) and want to make corrections, please point out the corrections in a new post.

I will announce when I get around to tallying the second page (maybe tonight).

Updated mine (Split PSO episodes, added Fallout)
Hugbot said:
-Persona 4
-Persona 3 FES
-Chrono Trigger
-KOTOR
-Diablo 2
-Pokemon R/B
-Super Mario RPG
-Phantasy Star Online Episode 1
-Phantasy Star Online Episode 2
-Fallout 3

flyover

In roughly chronological order...

1) Ultima IV
2) Final Fantasy VI
3) Final Fantasy VII
4) Xenogears
5) Vagrant Story
6) Planescape: Torment
7) Gladius
8) Xenosaga I
9) Final Fantasy XII
10) Valkyria Chronicles

Hmmm, I'll play along.

Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate II
Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale II
Temple of Elemental Evil
Ultima VII
Ultima VII pt 2. Serpent Isle
Dragon Age
Mass Effect 2
Pools of Darkness
Dark Queen of Krynn
Lands of Lore
Eye of the Beholder
Wizardy: Bane of the Cosmic Forge
Deus Ex (I guess?)
Arcanum

Way over ten, and that is just off the top of my head. All essential "must plays" as far as I am concerned.

jjasper

top 10 huh ok

Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger
Baldur's Gate 2
KOTOR
Final Fantasy XII
Tactics Ogre
Mass Effect 2
Chrono Trigger
Ogre Battle 64
Icewind dale

Jarate

Banned
Earthbound
Mother 3
Final Fantasy 4
Dragon Quest 8
EVO: The Search for Eden
Final Fantasy 10
Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
Fallout 3
Romance of the Three Kingdoms 8

Baldur's Gate 1 + expansion
Baldur's Gate 2 + expansion
Diablo 2 + expansion
Planescape Torment
Icewind Dale 2
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
In no particular order -

1. Shadowrun (Genesis)
2. Diablo II
3. Phantasy Star IV
4. Final Fantasy VII
5. Disgaea
6. Persona 4
7. Any Pokemon; I'll just say Gold/Silver gen if I HAVE to name one for voting purposes.
8. Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter
9. Planescape: Torment
10. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Not necessarily a "best of" or "favorite" list, but I tried to hit every genre and put the emphasis on "essential" type games; for example, Baldur's Gate II didn't make the cut simply because I already had one infinity engine game, Diablo II and FFVII get the nod over other potentially "better" games in the same genres because of the overall impact they had on their respective genres/the industry in general, etc.

Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy VII
Persona 4
Chrono Trigger
Tales of Vesperia
Final Fantasy IX
Fallout 3
Deus Ex

Would add if allowed: Baldurs Gate 2, Dragon Age: Origins, Persona 3, Demon's Souls, Oblivion.

outsidah

I abandoned this genre after getting bored with several titles and an honest lack of time to devote to these games.

That being said, no one should go without playing Xenogears.

Loved that RPG.

seipherzero

Neo Member
These are not my favorite RPGs, but games that offer a well-rounded, immersive experience backed by solid concepts (overall) and clean execution.

Chrono Trigger
Diablo II
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Golden Sun
Pokemon Gold/ Silver
Super Mario RPG
Valkyria Chronicles
Xenogears

Runner- Ups
Super Robot Taisen/ Super Robot Wars
Never made it to the US (other than OG Endless Frontier, which was great btw). I'm not sure which one would be the definitive version as I haven't played them all.

Final Fantasy XIII
Despite all the serious flaws in this game, the world in this game is vivid and beautiful (artistically and graphically). If you can get past all the preconceptions and nostalgia of what a Final Fantasy is, you can really appreciate it for what it is.

Xenogears
Skies Of Arcadia
Final Fantasy VII
Dragon Quest VII
Chrono Trigger
Vagrant Story
Grandia
Legend of Legaia
Golden Sun
Shenmue

Honorable Mentions:

Xenosaga 1
Final Fantasy Tactics(s-rpg)
Golden Sun II
Star Ocean: Second Story
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy VI
Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
Tales of Vesperia
Tales of Symphonia
Parasite Eve
Parasite Eve II
Sword of Vermillion
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II
Breath of Fire III
Suikoden II
Suikoden III
Legend of Dragoon
Super Mario RPG
Wild Arms 1

I would mention The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past but it's borderline rpg :p

FFVII
Demon's Souls (this would be my hidden gem but it's not really hidden anymore - more of a surprise gem)
Baldur's Gate II
Chronotrigger
Valkyria Chronicles
FFX
Skies of Arcadia
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Xenosaga

Top Bottom