• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Mega

Banned
Did Batman and Return of the Joker start out as something other than Batman games? Probably doesn't apply to the first, but this really seems to be the case with the latter. It has absolutely nothing to do with the franchise except having bits of art in between gameplay with Batman and the Joker as stand-ins for the original sprites. Batman has uncharacteristic energy guns and powers up in an electric blaze to fight bosses. The Joker is always midair inside a mechanical pod like Dr. Eggman. The final boss looks more like a contraption out of Contra.

Batman at least has locations that look like Gotham City and apparently a bunch of enemies from the actual comics.

ElTopo

Banned
I'm convinced that Return of the Joker started out as something completely unrelated to Batman but I've come across zero evidence of this over the years. Still a great Run 'n Gun title.

Mega

Banned
Normally I'd see info like that on HardcoreGaming101, but their entry has nothing that points in that direction.

Wow, the Genesis version looks significantly worse than the NES game. The smart use of artistic direction and limited resources vs. the George Lucas effect of throwing too much shit on the screen "just because." There's no atmosphere and everything looks bright, cluttered and cheap.

G-Fex

I beat Megaman 3 which was a LOT easier than me trying to beat ninja gaiden 2 last night.

First mega man game I beat in so many years.

Not sure I'd speedrun it.

Anyway onto castlevania or super CV4

Timu

I'm convinced that Return of the Joker started out as something completely unrelated to Batman but I've come across zero evidence of this over the years. Still a great Run 'n Gun title.
Yep, that's true as it's so different from Batman NES, and much easier as well. I can no death it once I master 3-1 and 5-1.

Laws00

Not sure how I've never entered this thread before but RoboWarrior...holy shit. I played a ton of this growing up.

For me the NES was all about going to the local video store and grabbing whatever looked cool on the back of the box. This game was one of them. There are so many old NES games that I never finished. RoboWarrior, Faxanadu, Solar Jetman. So much more. Wow. Old memories.

Yet another title that's never been on my radar. This thread delivers a lot of those. Looks pretty damn hard in videos, but interesting. And it's Hudson, so that's a plus.

There is a guy I follow on Instagram named men_gunners
https://instagram.com/men_gunners/

He is partly the reason why i've gotten into getting these NES games at the moment.
Although he plays shmups and fighting games. I didn't even know the NES had some interesting decently prices games that weren't outrageous overpriced that are actually fun

robot

I picked up a complete Ai Senshi Nicol for the Famicom Disk System after giving it a shot on the Everdrive. Fantastic Konami game that never made it to the US. If you have the means of playing FDS games (FDS System, Everdrive, Emu), give it a shot!

11378704_443601365765145_1890434769_n.jpg

D.Lo

I picked up a complete Ai Senshi Nicol for the Famicom Disk System after giving it a shot on the Everdrive. Fantastic Konami game that never made it to the US. If you have the means of playing FDS games (FDS System, Everdrive, Emu), give it a shot!
One of the best games on the Fami.

Read my review of it:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/aisenshinicol/aisenshinicol.htm

Edit: Oh also, it sounds like crap on the Everdrive (and Powerpak) due to crap FDS extra channel emulation. Original FDS is the only way to go.

oBnSaeh.jpg

Just beat SMB 3 on my NES, and it still holds up as the best 2D Mario Platformer.

I think I prefer the All Stars version a little more, but both are better than World.

Khaz

I played Ninja Gaiden for the second time yesterday. On my first try last week I couldn't pass 3-1, but now I encountered this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDsq3COZOWk

What is this bullshit? Everything else was fair before it, even if tough, but this is a new gameplay mechanics that you were not introduced to, with a mortal pit below it and a respawn point quite far away. Is it going to be like this from now on?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I played Ninja Gaiden for the second time yesterday. On my first try last week I couldn't pass 3-1, but now I encountered this:

What is this bullshit? Everything else was fair before it, even if tough, but this is a new gameplay mechanics that you were not introduced to, with a mortal pit below it and a respawn point quite far away. Is it going to be like this from now on?

I mean... did the internet stutter? Ninja Gaiden is cruel.

I beat it a few years back, after long-atrophied NES skills, so it's nothing impossible....

robot

Read my review of it:

Edit: Oh also, it sounds like crap on the Everdrive (and Powerpak) due to crap FDS extra channel emulation. Original FDS is the only way to go.

Actually, this review is how I originally discovered the game and one of the reasons I purchased a Twin Famicom about a year ago (the other being Almana no Kiseki). So thanks!

Mega

Banned

Read my review of it:

Nice read. And that link to tsr's NES Archive! I read every page on that website in 96-97! It was the best back then.

I'll have to settle for trying it out on the Everdrive; can't justify the high aftermarket prices for some of these games. Nothing against the quality of what the game may be, it's just that the Internet has made everything crazy. I was legitimately shocked at the prices that games like SMB3 and LoZ are fetching. These were extremely common games that even into the 2000s you bought for no more than $5 a piece to have in your collection and get it out of the way.

Asparagus

Yes, and it's going to get worse.

For some reason I've never been able to jump though/over walls in the NTSC version. I did it all the time as a kid on the PAL release.

D.Lo

Actually, this review is how I originally discovered the game and one of the reasons I purchased a Twin Famicom about a year ago (the other being Almana no Kiseki). So thanks!
Ha that's awesome, glad to spread the word.

I actually wrote up a review of Arumana back then too, but it didn't get used because there was another review already in the pipeline I believe.

Nice read. And that link to tsr's NES Archive! I read every page on that website in 96-97! It was the best back then.
I pretty much bought everything I read about on tsr's. I got most of my FDS games for peanuts in the early 2000s on early eBay and via forums. Like $1-3 each brand new for Nicol and Arumana and Dababa and Akumajou Dracula. And even the 'expensive' games like Doki Doki Panic were $15 new. I got a Japanese Contra for $10 boxed - now worth $200+. It felt ridiculous recently when I finally completed my Konami FDS set at great expense when it was so cheap back then.

I'll have to settle for trying it out on the Everdrive; can't justify the high aftermarket prices for some of these games. Nothing against the quality of what the game may be, it's just that the Internet has made everything crazy. I was legitimately shocked at the prices that games like SMB3 and LoZ are fetching. These were extremely common games that even into the 2000s you bought for no more than $5 a piece to have in your collection and get it out of the way.
Nicol is truly unacceptable on Everdrive. Emulators are better experience for playing it.

Timu

I just beaten Batman NES again using only 3 continues instead of like around 20 on my 1st time beating it a few months ago, lol. The Joker only hit me 3 times which is a record for me. With more practice I can use no continues for a youtube playthrough.

Mega

Banned
I'll give it a try someday on emulator, maybe I figure out a small PC solution connected to my CRT (a discussion for another place). I'm assuming this will be immediately more responsive and better looking than the crappy feel of NES emulation running on a laggy HD display.

I just beaten Batman NES again using only 3 continues instead of like around 20 on my 1st time beating it a few months ago, lol. The Joker only hit me 3 times which is a record for me. With more practice I can use no continues for a youtube playthrough.

Where did you die for those three times? I probably used twice as many, but that was mainly from dying while figuring out the Joker. I know I could do it but who has the time with work and so many other games to play!

Tain

Absolutely. Bought dozens of games from them over the years. Very good sellers, with very fair prices. International shipping to the U.S. in less than a week.

I'll vouch too, those guys got me RAF World back in 2011 real smoothly.

Timu

Where did you die for those three times? I probably used twice as many, but that was mainly from dying while figuring out the Joker. I know I could do it but who has the time with work and so many other games to play!
Some sections of Stages 3 and 4. I died once to the boss before Joker but didn't die against Joker thankfully.

Mega

Banned
I randomly bought Mega Man 6... somewhere, can't remember, for a few bucks in the 00s. I'm certain I came across cheap copies of Mega Man 2 and didn't bother because I played the game to death and had fallen out of almost all console gaming, buying physical media, etc to focus on my studies and job hunting.

I don't fully understand what's fueling all of this. There's no scarcity behind this for most games. And likely not a demand either since many Buy it Nows and high starting bids for desirable games still go unpurchased. I think it's a mix of speculative hoarders/resellers dripfeeding the market, other people unknowingly going along with this game, coupled with a retro fad/bubble for Nintendo games and other retro games. I walked into a "reputable" retro shop in the city and no game besides sports junk for NES, Genesis or SNES was under $15 regardless of cartridge condition or how common it was. All this stuff was selling for a few bucks less than a decade ago. The ebay effect is widespread and nonsensical.

Mzo

Prices jumped up nasty after Mighty No. 9 was announced and never came back down. Just shot up across the board for Mega Man games, regardless of system.

Mega Man used to be cheaper than Mega Man 2 because nobody liked it (but me!) Look at the prices now, lol.

robot

Mega Man prices were one of the many factors that pushed me to switch to famicom collecting. It also helps that you can make a Mega Man rainbow when you get the whole set.

I remember in 2007 when I got Metal Storm for $1 plus $4 shipping. Those days are long gone.

Mega Man prices were one of the many factors that pushed me to switch to famicom collecting. It also helps that you can make a Mega Man rainbow when you get the whole set.

I remember in 2007 when I got Metal Storm for $1 plus $4 shipping. Those days are long gone.

I was buying NES games in the early and mid 2000s in local shops and on eBay. Then I got a 360 in 2007 and PS3 a few months later and kind of dropped retro for a while. Wish I would have stuck with it back then, especially getting hidden gems like Metal Storm via eBay. I have the means and the will to buy some of these games are higher prices but paying $100+ for loose games that are not truly rare is just too much to take.

I randomly bought Mega Man 6... somewhere, can't remember, for a few bucks in the 00s. I'm certain I came across cheap copies of Mega Man 2 and didn't bother because I played the game to death and had fallen out of almost all console gaming, buying physical media, etc to focus on my studies and job hunting.

I don't fully understand what's fueling all of this. There's no scarcity behind this for most games. And likely not a demand either since many Buy it Nows and high starting bids for desirable games still go unpurchased. I think it's a mix of speculative hoarders/resellers dripfeeding the market, other people unknowingly going along with this game, coupled with a retro fad/bubble for Nintendo games and other retro games. I walked into a "reputable" retro shop in the city and no game besides sports junk for NES, Genesis or SNES was under $15 regardless of cartridge condition or how common it was. All this stuff was selling for a few bucks less than a decade ago. The ebay effect is widespread and nonsensical.

Yeah no matter where I go for retro stores, whether it be SNES or NES all I see is online pricing.

Even in the flea market which baffles me because if it's the same price as online stores whats the point of buying it at the market?

You would just simply buy it online instead.

Mzo

I get mad at the flea market.

I didn't wake up at 7 am to stand knee deep in excrement at the dirty flea market to pay eBay prices. Make me a deal or go to hell.

OnPoint

Hell yes this is why I did it that way

entremet

I'm biased since that was the version I played first.

It also has no artifacts on the side and the airship theme is far more dramatic with a thunderstorm to boot.

You're right about the artifacts, but I love the original color palette.

Hopefully, Nintendo can release a fixed version, without the flicker, like they did with Kirby's Adventure.

Someone may just make the whole game again on SMM too.

catabarez

Would it be possible to take one of those famicom to nes converters on ebay and desolder the 60 pin input and just turn it around so the famicom cartridges can go in regularly? Or would the pins just not match up?

Khaz

Would it be possible to take one of those famicom to nes converters on ebay and desolder the 60 pin input and just turn it around so the famicom cartridges can go in regularly? Or would the pins just not match up?

No, you need a board with the right connections, you can't simply turn stuff around.

NDPsycho

Prices jumped up nasty after Mighty No. 9 was announced and never came back down. Just shot up across the board for Mega Man games, regardless of system.

Mega Man used to be cheaper than Mega Man 2 because nobody liked it (but me!) Look at the prices now, lol.

I'm part of the problem...after getting 2 and 3, I decided I should go for the rest. I've done ok selling some of my recent duplicates from the yard sale and splurged on a boxed mm 1. It wasn't cheap :(

I'm part of the problem...after getting 2 and 3, I decided I should go for the rest. I've done ok selling some of my recent duplicates from the yard sale and splurged on a boxed mm 1. It wasn't cheap :(

Yeah, once you decide you want to go for a set its hard not to pull that trigger if you have the money. I have spent upwards of $70 on an item in my quest for CIB black box games. But that's about my limit and many of these have $100, $125 or higher BIN prices. You have to be patient.

On that note, I might as well post this - my 17th game in the black box set:

Lately I've been looking into buying extension cables for my nes, as well as a good turbo controller. While goofing around on youtube one night, watching different videos of people showing off their nes collections, I found out that the NES Four Score was a great solution for my problem. I had thought about getting a NES Four Score in the past, to try out some of the 4 player games I have on the nes. But I didn't realized that the Four Score also offers turbo. The Four Score adds about 5 1/2 foot of extra length to the nes controllers, and on the based of the Four Score are two turbo buttons (for B & A). So now all of my regular nes controllers have a turbo option whenever I need it.

I finally got around to trying out Fester's Quest with the Four Score. I had bought the game a few weeks ago at a flea market, but decided not to really play it until I got a turbo controller. Not only did I find the game much easier to play because of the use of turbo, I found the game to actually be really fun as well. Sure, I still died several times throughout the game (mainly from boss fights), and it did took me awhile to get the basics of the game down. But for the most part, I found myself enjoying the game; and I ended up beating the game later on that night.
Now I'm curious on what other infamous nes games would greatly benefit from the use of turbo.

I'm thinking of doing a quick playthrough of Metal Gear on NES ahead of TPP. I've already played through the MSX games. How different is the NES version?

Top Bottom