• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix’s Mystery Science Theater revival will be out in April 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link. Didn't see a thread.

xkgFk7h.jpg

The upcoming Mystery Science Theater 3000 revival has a release date: April 14th. As The AV Club points out, Netflix announced the news in a Facebook post early this morning.

Back in 2015, show creator Joel Hodgson launched a Kickstarter campaign to bring back MST3K, which ended up breaking the Kickstarter record for video funding. In 2016, Netflix picked up the 14 new episodes that Hodgson made as a result of that $5.7 million in funding.

Today’s announcement also came with the first new photo of the cast and crew, featuring Hodgson, host Jonah Ray, Mads Felicia Day, Patton Oswalt, Hampton Yount, and Baron Vaughn.

The revival will stream on Netflix in the US, Canada, the UK, Australia, and New Zealand.

Member number 6409 here. I remember it because it's six bottles of 409 cleaner.

For those of you who attended the premiere event - how is Jonah? And the robot voices? And is it funny?

One of my favorite shows back in the day, so I'll definitely be giving this a shot. Looking forward to seeing if the new cast is good.

Got into Rifftrax for a while back when it came out, but eventually lost interest in it. I feel like great MST3K riffing requires a team of writers in order to be as funny as possible.

B.K.

It's still hard to believe there's new MST3k coming. Who would have ever thought someone could get the rights to the series from Jim Mallon.

Kick starter backers represent! Woo hooooo!

$100 well spent!

Between the pledge and add-ons, I think I was around $500. I'm looking forward to actually having a complete season boxset of the series later in the year and I'm still wondering what Joel's mystery gift will be.

jph139

Oh wow, I missed that Netflix picked this up. Awesome. Will definitely be checking it out.

Gonna be weird hearing new voices come out of the bots, though.

Jacce

Banned
No Mike no go

Mike supports this. It's not even like Mike is what defines MST3K. Joel was always the "face" of the series most associate with it, if anyone. It's nice they can refresh new hosts. It keeps it from getting stale.

Sanjuro

Mike supports this. It's not even like Mike is what defines MST3K. Joel was always the "face" of the series most associate with it anyone. It's nice they can refresh new hosts. It keeps it from getting stale.

No he wasn't.

Also, I'm not one of those people who need little cameos and crossovers every three seconds. If Mike wants to join the program this season, or maybe in the future, or never, it's probably going to just be a small cameo. He is still making money and taking names with Rifftrax.

compo

Banned
Holy shit, a successful Kickstarter?

Also, if you guys want to watch old episodes of MST3K, there's this free (and kind of shitty) internet TV service called Pluto TV that has a MST3K channel: http://pluto.tv/guide/

Holy shit, a successful Kickstarter?

Also, if you guys want to watch old episodes of MST3K, there's this free (and kind of shitty) internet TV service called Pluto TV that has a MST3K channel: http://pluto.tv/guide/

Aside from the invasive 5 hour commercials, they also suffer from a lack of variety in episodes. Don't know how many times I've watched one of those damn Hercules movies.

OT, I can't wait for the revival. Wish I had money during the Kickstarter. Would have loved to have gotten a boxset.

Blader

It was his show, he created it. Joel is MST3K.

Joel created the show but Mike hosted it for (slightly) longer. MST3K is one of my favorite shows of all time but I grew up entirely on those Mike years. If Joel is MST3K, then what the hell was I watching!

Draft

To me, MST3k is Mike. His humor defined the golden age of MST3k. That said, a lot of other very funny people worked on the show, and I'm ready to love a new cast.

I got into the show long after it was cancelled, after catching the MST3K movie on TV late one night and laughed my ass off. So i went back and watched a ton of the episodes and i always found Mike funnier and more enjoyable to watch than the Joel episodes. I'm not sure i could watch this without the original voices of Tom and Crow either. Why aren't they back?

Sanjuro

Joel created the show but Mike hosted it for (slightly) longer. MST3K is one of my favorite shows of all time but I grew up entirely on those Mike years. If Joel is MST3K, then what the hell was I watching!

I would say most people posting in here and involved with following the comeback are in the upper percentile of diehard fans. These fans either know and/or grew up with Joel, Mike, and Joel v Mike.

Then there are people in the middle of the pack who maybe know one of the hosts or none. When discussing the show with people familiar with the concept, I'd say about 5/10 are unaware they had different hosts in the first place.

mclem

Clearly, what I need to do from here on, is that whenever I wish to express negativity, rather than saying "Nah", I should start saying "Ike". Maybe claim it's an Eisenhower thing... somehow.

Because then the new host would be Joike.

Krowley

MST3K for me is definitely all about Joel. I started watching it in the earliest seasons on Comedy Central, and never really adjusted to Mike. For me it's really weird that some people think of Mike when they think of MST3K, but I guess that's just age differences or something.

Anyway, I'm really interested in this. I'll definitely give the new host a chance. With this show I think the concept is more important than the on-screen talent.

that cast photo:

"Ok, all the dudes group together. Felicia... you, uh,... go stand over there on the side... preferably behind the robots."

Also, controversial opinion warning:

I got into MST3k through Rifftrax, and I've found the later-era stuff to be funnier than earlier-stuff with Joel as the host.

However, MST3k IS Joel's kid and IMO, I hope he's a good showrunner. He might be a better behind the scenes guy than a host. I hope this does well so we can see more of it.

I'm curious to see how it'll fare against Rifftrax, as far as quality goes.

Also, controversial opinion warning:

I got into MST3k through Rifftrax, and I've found the later-era stuff to be funnier than earlier-stuff with Joel as the host.

MST3K is a rare show that just kept getting better and funnier the older it got.

Mike vs Joel was probably the first online argument most people ever had. This thread is making me nostalgic. I'm with Mike, personally, but I'm pulling for Jonah!!

I'm very very excited for this. Is there a list of movies for this 1st season?

Hopefully since it's on Netflix they can delve into the "R" territory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom