• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Season 11 |OT| It Stinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Topo

The point of the kickstarter was to get enough funding to show the demand to a "network," who would then fund additional seasons.

They never intended to continue going back to the kickstarter well for funding more seasons.

They also talked about an international release and look how that worked out. It is what it is.

i thought it was kind of given we'd get another season or three without fuss. you have to be a pretty abysmal money sink for netflix to cut you off after one season

MST3K is very cheap to produce, but that doesn't mean it's worth the hassle for Netflix. It's not an international show and its appeal seems very limited.

Blader

Were the guest stars really an expense? The only reason they're on the show at all is that they advertised doing cameos in order to raise money for the kickstarter.

Also:

ND6cjuw.jpg

Were the guest stars really an expense? The only reason they're on the show at all is that they advertised doing cameos in order to raise money for the kickstarter.
It seemed like friends and fans who wanted to be part of it so I doubt they broke the bank, but I also doubt they were free. Versus an old guest character being sticking one of the staff writers into a costume.

EDIT: Come to think of it now that I'm almost through the season, Joel and Elliott in Time Travelers is the one instance that seemed most like old guest characters.

LATER EDIT: And hey, there's Joel and Elliott again in the Christmas episode.

Why fix what isn't broke. I was happy with non functioning robot arms and no guest stars. Oh well. That's the way the cookie crumbles.
*throws coffee in Goat's face* (that's a Pod People reference, folks).

I'm actually really disturbed that they don't riff during the credits. In the past, some of the best bits happened during the credits and I find the cut directly after the movie really jarring.
They riffed during a chunk of the credits of Cry Wilderness. They riffed during the credits of Carnival Magic.

I get unreasonably irked everytime they have Crow sitting with his long, shiny legs prominently displayed on a beanbag.
I can't imagine how upset Crow dancing in Girl in Gold Boots must have made you. Or when Crow and Tom are sitting on boxes dressed like thugs in Teenage Strangler.

This is one of the best compliments this iteration of the show can have. They are getting so much right that you are complaining about such little, insignificant things.

Doubtful. Neil Patrick Harris has been a huge fan of the show since way back in the Comedy Central era. He was on the mini doc "This is MST3K" all the way back then, when he was just Doogie Howser. Jerry Seinfeld and Joel Hodgson are friends from way back in the 80s, when they did stand up. Joel appeared on Jerry's coffee and car show, so I'm guessing Jerry just repaid the favor. Mark Hamill backed the Kickstarter, at which point he was asked to cameo, so he probably did it for very cheap, if at all.

Even if Netflix decides not to renew for a season 12, I'd definitely back it again, and I bet they could get another season through Kickstarter at a much lower rate. The investment on creating the robots and sets and such would be out of the way. They can find another way of distributing it (hell, just do VHX again, for all I care).

This is one of the best compliments this iteration of the show can have. They are getting so much right that you are complaining about such little, insignificant things.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I've been posting reasonable complaints ever since the season dropped, and the person who's been gushing about the season, admitted to watching each episode multiple times within the first week, and calling out every one's complaints, FINALLY responds to one of mine that I explicitly admit is "unreasonable."

Yeah, you really got me.

It's cool the you love it so much, but don't put that delusion on me.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I've been posting reasonable complaints ever since the season dropped, and the person who's been gushing about the season, admitted to watching each episode multiple times within the first week, and calling out every one's complaints, FINALLY responds to one of mine that I explicitly admit is "unreasonable."

Yeah, you really got me.

It's cool the you love it so much, but don't put that delusion on me.
Sorry it took so long for me to get to something you commented on as silly. I'll try to up my zealotry and get to you faster next time. :p

I like to think I'm not calling out everyone's complaints. It's more of a "I don't like that they did/didn't do X, that isn't like the MST3K I know!" when it happened in the old MST3K that I try to address. Escape Goat isn't feeling this season and has been saying so since the beginning, and I don't call him out for that. He's a big MST3K fan as I am and him liking it less than the KTMA episodes is fine. I'm a big MST3K fan and I love it. People are allowed to like or dislike what they want.

But your comment is duly noted. I'll try to tone it down and really just relax.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
A sit down guest on Conan makes 400 dollars for their appearance, so it's safe to say if any special guest was paid it probably didn't exceed that.

Joel hints at the next "big chapter"...including a live MST3K tour in the latest Kickstarter backer update:

Joel said:
The last couple years have been an incredible (and sometimes) scary adventure. And now, thanks to you believing in the next MST3K, even more interesting things starting to happen. I'm excited to start revealing some of those developments as we go, because we've actually been busier than ever this month, getting to work on the next big chapter in the return of MST3K.

That's something I can only hint at right now, which could be a live MST3K tour. (Hint, Hint.) But listen, if everything goes according to plan, I'll be able to tell you more about that next week.

Blader

This is the episode from April 17, which is a little bit more recently than I thought: http://www.earwolf.com/episode/strea-hemoth/

Weird that it would take them so long to just tease it again.

well, it also took him a month to promote that Stranger Things riff. :lol Guess he's just super busy.

That bit about the "next chapter" actually makes me a little more nervous about a season 12, because it sounds like Joel is -- by design or by current lack of renewal -- focusing on something else, like a live tour, for what MST3K does next and not another season. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but between that and the his "maybe?" tweet I posted at the top of the page, feels like season 12 will not the next MST3K thing, which is a little worrying.

Pretty sure it's just a matter of time till Season 12 gets announced. Elliot Kalan announced on his podcast that he is moving to LA in June. Probably a lot of ducks to get in a row before an announcement, since the production of Season 11 was a bit decentralized.

I rarely think of previous seasons as a unit, but it seems like there's an unusual amount of movie interconnectivity this season.

Ib Melchior wrote Reptilicus and Time Travelers (and directed the latter).

Steve Franken was Danny in Time Travelers and McDade in Avalanche.

The Land That Time Forgot and At the Earth's Core are both mid-70s movies starring Doug McClure and based on Edgar Rice Burroughs stories. The latter further features Caroline Munro from Starcrash.

Of course Wizards of the Lost Kingdom and Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II are part of the same series, even if it's mostly because Roger Corman says so.

Jake

I rarely think of previous seasons as a unit, but it seems like there's an unusual amount of movie interconnectivity this season.

Ib Melchior wrote Reptilicus and Time Travelers (and directed the latter).

Steve Franken was Danny in Time Travelers and McDade in Avalanche.

The Land That Time Forgot and At the Earth's Core are both mid-70s movies starring Doug McClure and based on Edgar Rice Burroughs stories. The latter further features Caroline Munro from Starcrash.

Of course Wizards of the Lost Kingdom and Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II are part of the same series, even if it's mostly because Roger Corman says so.

The one thing it evokes from the past, for me, is the Gamera run. Joel has said that they deliberately made this more of a "season" in feeling because they actually trusted most people would watch the episodes in order, which was not something you would count on in the Comedy Central era.

oatmeal

Banned
I'm 32 and watched my first ever MST3K last night. It was THE FINAL SACRIFICE. Pretty hilarious stuff.

Are there good top 20 lists? May have to start plowing through Them.

*throws coffee in Goat's face* (that's a Pod People reference, folks).

/cries

I don't even like coffee.

I'm 32 and watched my first ever MST3K last night. It was THE FINAL SACRIFICE. Pretty hilarious stuff.

Are there good top 20 lists? May have to start plowing through Them.

Pod People
Space Mutiny
Zombie Nightmare
Angels Revenge
The Violent Years
Giant Spider invasion
Soul taker

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'm going back to bed.

Pod People
Space Mutiny
Zombie Nightmare
Angels Revenge
The Violent Years
Giant Spider invasion
Soul taker
Good list. I'd add the following:

Catalina Caper
Godzilla vs. Megalon (if you can find it)
Cave Dwellers
Time of the Apes
Gamera vs. Guiron
Earth vs. The Spider
The Magic Voyage of Sinbad
Laser Blast
Time Chasers
Jack Frost
Werewolf
Future War

RetroMG

Pod People
Space Mutiny
Zombie Nightmare
Angels Revenge
The Violent Years
Giant Spider invasion
Soul taker

Good list. I'd add the following:
Catalina Caper
Godzilla vs. Megalon (if you can find it)
Cave Dwellers
Time of the Apes
Gamera vs. Guiron
Earth vs. The Spider
The Magic Voyage of Sinbad
Laser Blast
Time Chasers
Jack Frost
Werewolf
Future War

I'll see your lists, and raise you:
Parts: The Clonus Horror
Manos: The Hands of Fate (Really? How has no one said Manos?)
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
Santa Claus (The two Christmas Eps are a yearly tradition in my house)

Or just hit Youtube for any of the MST3K Shorts. They're ALL good.

the first half or so of Night Of The Blood Beast is one of my favorites. Second half not as good, but still good overall.

Also fucking Hobgoblins.

SeanC

A sit down guest on Conan makes 400 dollars for their appearance, so it's safe to say if any special guest was paid it probably didn't exceed that.

Close, but I believe the rate for a day player is $933. Assuming the actors are going for bare minimum with that, which I assume they are as a favor and not negotiating higher which they probably could.

I think some also sing so they might get paid a little more as well.

Blader

The Touch of Satan is the best episode of MST3K.

I've probably watched that movie more times than I've watched The Godfather.

I'll see your lists, and raise you:
Parts: The Clonus Horror
Manos: The Hands of Fate (Really? How has no one said Manos?)
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
Santa Claus (The two Christmas Eps are a yearly tradition in my house)

Or just hit Youtube for any of the MST3K Shorts. They're ALL good.
I love Parts personally. I actually think it is an interesting story that is poorly told. I also think both of the Santa Claus movies are great.

But Manos...I didn't say it because I think it is a challenging MST3K episode. It's one everyone should see just because the movie is so bizarre, but I would NEVER recommend it for those who are starting fresh on MST3K. The film is hard to watch, the riffing sometimes wanders off into repetition and isn't the top of their game, and the host segments tend to end in crying which is less fun. It's an episode to watch after you've really gotten into the concept and seen a lot of fun episodes, like the Santa movies you mentioned.

Perfect case: A month ago, my dad decided he wanted to try MST3K because they were on Netflix. He chose the first one up, which was Manos, and he was disappointed. He said, "Okay, so the joke is they say Manos? Is that what they do all the time? Why is that funny?" And I had to explain to him how that movie was just a shock to them all and they aren't like that. So...yeah...that's why I didn't put that one in there.

Touch of Satan is also a good one.

Just finished the season, had a lot of fun with it. Quick question for those who know the older seasons better, were there jokes that lasted throughout entire movies? To me, that seems like the only thing missing. Could be wrong though, I don't remember the older stuff that well.

Venture

Tried watching an episode from the first season and it was pretty rough.
I had similar feelings but have grown to genuinely love them after watching them several times. Some of the later shows in the season are real favorites of mine: Robot Holocaust, Moon Zero Two, The Black Scorpion.

Not that everyone will have a similar experience. They do have a different vibe.

gabbo

Just finished the season, had a lot of fun with it. Quick question for those who know the older seasons better, were there jokes that lasted throughout entire movies? To me, that seems like the only thing missing. Could be wrong though, I don't remember the older stuff that well.

Do you mean jokes theyd keep bringing up through a film? If that, yes, but it was all dependent on the movie they were riffing. I'm just glad they got a Smuckers preserves joke in the new season (I havent noticed a 'pepperidge farm remembers' as of yet)

Small video of Crow and Servo at Netflix HQ. Maybe it's a sign?

Yikes, those tiny view counts make me sad.

It's a drag that people aren't liking these as much as they could. I've never been the biggest fan of the host segments so those are pretty much a wash to me. The riffing is good and I like the theater pranks more often than I don't.

MST works best when the movie itself is watchable. The first Wizards of the Lost Kingdom is a great example of that. It's a terrible movie, but it's got some kind of charm. The second one......not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom