• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Season 11 |OT| It Stinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

The one thing that I think is missing from this version of MST3K is the sense of family that the old series had. Joel treated the bots like his kids and there was a family dynamic there. With Mike, it felt like the bots grew up and they all acted like rowdy teenagers putting each other down all the time. This version just feels a little colder with the rapid fire jokes. While the season gets remarkably better as it goes on, it still feels like Jonah and the bots are a little too cold and calculated with the jokes, as in they don't feel like they are a product of the characters, but more just reading from a script that 12 different people contributed too. While I think the show is still funny, I would love to see Jonah and the bots have more individual character like they had in the old show.

Also, no nanites.

I've actually watched Manos, and like six others...otherwise I'm fairly new to MST3K.

SPACE MUTINY

As someone who vapes, and therefore occasionally has to deal with other vapes, the vaping riff in Yongary probably got the single biggest laugh out of me of the entire season. Which is saying something, because I like every episode.

I think Starcrash may be my favorite.

SPACE MUTINY

Yes, this. A million times this.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
the only real difference i've noticed is the references aren't off the wall obscure and random like they used to be. old mst3k was like reading a thomas pynchon novel, you'd need an encyclopedic knowledge on pop culture to understand every single riff

not that that's a good or bad thing, just something i noticed. otherwise great season, movie selection could've been better here and there but whatever, i'm just glad it's back
I dunno I've caught a few pretty obscure ones. There was a reference to the musical Chess in one that I appreciated. There have been others too that I can't recall

EDIT: If you're going to do a Monty Python reference "message for you sir" is an acceptably deep cut

the only real difference i've noticed is the references aren't off the wall obscure and random like they used to be. old mst3k was like reading a thomas pynchon novel, you'd need an encyclopedic knowledge on pop culture to understand every single riff

not that that's a good or bad thing, just something i noticed. otherwise great season, movie selection could've been better here and there but whatever, i'm just glad it's back

On of the episodes had, like, three references to Game of Thrones in it. Not even obscure ones, just "eyyyy Game of Thrones". Stuff like that stands out to me, its more common in this new series than it was before.

mclem

My coffee mug is coming!

Yep, I got a dispatch notice too - in my case, shirts and hoodie. And postcard, which I'm a little thrown by because I thought the autographed 'thank you' thing we got was that. Still quite a few things missing, but given one of them's the boxset I'm assuming there's going to be a little time after release before they can formally start dispatching those.

Curious what the Mystery Gift is, that's all been very quiet. Bubble fans for all!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
On of the episodes had, like, three references to Game of Thrones in it. Not even obscure ones, just "eyyyy Game of Thrones". Stuff like that stands out to me, its more common in this new series than it was before.

Oh yeah, in Wizards the joke was "Game of Thrones has a lot of beheading lol!"

Though I recall there was a quick "Khaleesi!" riff at one point which was a lot better since that was one that was deeper, and the character on screen really resembled her.

I just realized that Kinga (or Ardy) introduce every film with "Welcome/Enter to the nightmare-fueled world of (insert movie title here)"

I need to verify that all of them have it, but I'm pretty sure all of them do.

Jake

The liquid based data system is an interesting development. Wonder how they came up with that.

It seems to be an idea Joel has been fascinated with for a while. I think it's alluded to in Cinematic Titanic even (specifically the idea of the movie spilling).

I dunno I've caught a few pretty obscure ones. There was a reference to the musical Chess in one that I appreciated. There have been others too that I can't recall

EDIT: If you're going to do a Monty Python reference "message for you sir" is an acceptably deep cut

I thought "How not to be seen" was a good one.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The more things change, the more they stay the same---I watched Space Mutiny today and they had a Spencer's Gifts reference just like At The Earth's Core.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Holy fuck what is with the ADR for this scientist dude in Carnival Magic?

Carnival Magic is the most boring movie I've ever seen. Holy shit.
The acting is boring, the locations are boring, even the chimp is boring.
The story, if you call it one, is boring.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Carnival Magic is the most boring movie I've ever seen. Holy shit.
The acting is boring, the locations are boring, even the chimp is boring.
The story, if you call it one, is boring.

The music choices are baffling.

SoulUnison

Banned

There's been a string of noticeable riffs that are basically just namedropping "contemporary, popular thing," and they really take me out of the mood.

The "Game of Thrones" mentions, the "Rick & Morty" riff...
The ENTIRE joke is just "Hey, we know about this popular thing!" with no nuance, context or wit.

If you can interchange almost literally anything with the subject of your riff and still end up with the same quality of humor, you should probably just go back to the writer's table.

Almost done with second episode. Pretty damn good. Much better than first. They still have issue with joking WAY too much. Take a damn breath! I have seen this complaint a bit online, so I hope they see/hear it.

SoulUnison

Banned
They just did a "Glengarry Glen Ross" riff during Carnival Magic and it retroactively made me sad that there wasn't a single riff of the like during Yongary.

Why don't they do shorts?
My guess is they wanted to start with movies and could move to shorts if they got a second season. Also, there may be a problem with shorts fitting the "format" they were looking for in their movies this season: widescreen, film stock looks pretty good.

Starcrash is an amazing fucking episode.

Not only is the movie so amazingly bad that it actually turns into its own parody, but all of the theater jokes are on point. The final twenty minutes of Starcrash just make so little sense at all that I was laughing uncontrollably.

I've just started Wizards of the Lost Kingdom, and the relentless pace of the theater jokes.... my dear lord.

Watching Wizards 2... And I think this movie is actually pretty decent. Seems like it's being funny on purpose. Not that the riffs aren't funny too, but it's shockingly watchable.

Maybe it's because I love Tremors.

Wow I'm having a hard time getting through The Beast of Hollow Mountain, it's really bad.

Yeah, same.
Beast of Hollow Mountain is so tedious until the last, like, thirty minutes. Then it just goes off the rails and is great. Survive the "human drama" of rancher infighting and it'll pay off.

But it does have one of my favorite riffs in the boring part: "What's with all the Kool-Aid? Prepping for the Juanstown massacre, Chi-chi?"

AniHawk

Beast of Hollow Mountain is so tedious until the last, like, thirty minutes. Then it just goes off the rails and is great. Survive the "human drama" of rancher infighting and it'll pay off.

But it does have one of my favorite riffs in the boring part: "What's with all the Kool-Aid? Prepping for the Juanstown massacre, Chi-chi?"

we were just having a conversation at normal speaking level. and then you whistle for me to come over like some kind of animal... and in front of my son?

mclem

My word, Wizards is remarkable. And yet... I think there's some good - by which I at least mean 'knowingly hammy' - performances in it. And given that so many people say that Wizards 2 is worse... I'm intrigued.

So, Wizards 2.

Oh god.

Suddenly, Wizards 1 is like bloody Citizen Kane.

Watching Wizards 2... And I think this movie is actually pretty decent. Seems like it's being funny on purpose. Not that the riffs aren't funny too, but it's shockingly watchable.

Maybe it's because I love Tremors.

I was undecided if it was intentional parody or just a horribly misjudged tone.. Except... you don't usually get parody sequels to films that play it straight. Although the sequel-ness of Wizards 2 is, well, questionable.

B.K.

I just found out that Shout Factory has the Cinematic Titanic Complete Collection for preorder on their website, if anyone is interested. It has all 12 movies on six DVDs for $40 and comes out in August. Someone had all the DVDs on Ebay for $250 a couple months ago, before the set was announced. I'm glad I didn't buy that set.

I just found out that Shout Factory has the Cinematic Titanic Complete Collection for preorder on their website, if anyone is interested. It has all 12 movies on six DVDs for $40 and comes out in August. Someone had all the DVDs on Ebay for $250 a couple months ago, before the set was announced. I'm glad I didn't buy that set.
Sadly none of the ones not previously offered. I have all of these movies already.

But damn what a value!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Got my box with a bunch of kickstarter goodies today...

WLF7gfq.jpg

Who the hell thought no handles on a cup for hot liquids was a good idea? I can't pick it up without a towel....

mclem

Reddit are saying that Shout's lost the Final Sacrifice rights, and it's been removed from streaming and purchase

I'm hearing that the VHX for people who purchased the bundle is *currently* still active, so it's not been removed, unlike Soultaker, but folks might want to grab it quickly... I'm just going to have to grit my teeth and hold out until I get home!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom