• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix’s Mystery Science Theater revival will be out in April 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

has there been any word on the movies they'll be doing?

There's a rumoured leaked list doing the rounds, but Joel hasn't announced in advance given that he likes the idea of people tuning in not knowing what they're going to get.

Blader

You have your Mikes vs. Joes but "I'm different!" Crow > OG Crow.

I agree, but I eventually warmed up to Trace's Crow and like him a lot now.

There's a rumoured leaked list doing the rounds, but Joel hasn't announced in advance given that he likes the idea of people tuning in not knowing what they're going to get.

Won't we immediately know once the entire season drops on Netflix? Unless Joel decides not to give away the movies in the episode titles.

daveo42

Banned
I'm very very excited for this. Is there a list of movies for this 1st season?

Hopefully since it's on Netflix they can delve into the "R" territory

I actually expect them to keep it relatively family friendly and maybe push the low end of PG-13 overall. If you wanna touch on R stuff, then check out the Rifftrax stuff.

Blues1990

I actually expect them to keep it relatively family friendly and maybe push the low end of PG-13 overall. If you wanna touch on R stuff, then check out the Rifftrax stuff.

On occasion, the original shows humour did take a grimmer detour.The 'Here Comes the Circus' & 'Catching Trouble' shorts immediately come to mind.

1XTGoI9.gif

this .gif is MST3K's greatest contribution to society, honestly

I didn't follow all the kickstarter stuff, but I remember Mike making a comment how he wasn't involved, or wasn't asked to be involved.

Was there ever anymore to that, or maybe a Mike cameo at some point?

Speaking of Rifftracks, I've never watched (or listened) to any of them. Where is the best place to start?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also, controversial opinion warning:

I got into MST3k through Rifftrax, and I've found the later-era stuff to be funnier than earlier-stuff with Joel as the host.

However, MST3k IS Joel's kid and IMO, I hope he's a good showrunner. He might be a better behind the scenes guy than a host. I hope this does well so we can see more of it.

I'm curious to see how it'll fare against Rifftrax, as far as quality goes.

It's not really controversial. Mike vs Joel is the same camp as Kirk vs Picard. A lot of people on boht sides.

opoth

Banned
I got into MST3K at the end of season 5, so I think that was a good time to have an equal respect for the entire run.

Its okay to have a favorite, but to me the different eras represent different things. Sometimes you want stoned observational humor, that's a Joel night, other times you want a more aggressive approach and that's when I put a Mike episode on.

Different eras for different moods. Sometimes you want an apple instead of an orange, sometimes a stout instead of an IPA. Sometimes Joel, sometimes Mike.

Looking forward to Jonah's approach - maybe something a little more madcap and absurdist based on his work on the MST3K reunion?

mclem

I didn't follow all the kickstarter stuff, but I remember Mike making a comment how he wasn't involved, or wasn't asked to be involved.

Speaking of Rifftracks, I've never watched (or listened) to any of them. Where is the best place to start?

It's hard to say, I think their more recent stuff is more polished, although I haven't tried the very early Mike-only or Mike-and-guest stuff for a very different vibe. I tend to prefer starting out with shorts, simply because it's a very low bar for entry, and on that front I recently found Measuring Man and Setting Up A Room particularly funny. I also went through the entire Batman serial of shorts, which is great, but pretty expensive (there's not a bundle option, which seems a missed opportunity)

Probably the breakout hit for Rifftrax's VOD front would be Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny, which is a truly odd experience. Fun in BalloonLand has a number of similarities (both are a movie-within-a-movie, both try to get a movie out of a variety of props in and out of context, both are way more terrifying than they were ever supposed to be...)

Owensboro

I like em both. Can't wait to like Jonah too. Hopefully Crow and Tom Servo's new voices don't throw me off too much and I like them too.

I'm pumped for new episodes. I've been re-watching the entire series while doing other random stuff (mostly grinding in random games) and can't wait to finally get new episodes.

Any links?

Man, on second thought, do I really want to sully my image of the guy? :/

I just know from interviews that he's a diehard Republican. Haven't heard him say anything about Trump.

On the other hand, that doesn't make him any less funny of a comedian, which is why I like him.

Sliver

Any links?

Man, on second thought, do I really want to sully my image of the guy? :/

I have heard nothing abou him supporting Trump.

Honestly my respect for Mike went up a ton when I found out he was a Christian and a Republican. I couldn't tell from years of watching the show, as his jokes never really "picked sides." Really kept his politics out of his work.

opoth

Banned

Honestly my respect for Mike went up a ton when I found out he was a Christian and a Republican. I couldn't tell from years of watching the show, as his jokes never really "picked sides." Really kept his politics out of his work.

He's the only funny Republican that I'm aware of. He's happy to talk about his religious and political views in interviews, but I'm glad he mostly keeps it out of his work.

Camwi

That's a good point.

It seems like Joel invited anyone previously involved with the show to come back in a guest capacity, but most declined. A combination of being happy with their own related projects like RiffTrax, and in some cases being kind of miffed that once Joel finally finagled a chance to restart MST3K they weren't asked to be part of it from the get-go.

As best we know there's no Mike appearance in this season, but Kevin and Bill will be in there as Observer and Bobo in some capacity.
It's all so much more varied and disconnected than MST3K so it's hard to say. I'd give three possible suggestions, though.
1. They have a title on sale every week, so you can give it a chance and save $2. They also frequently have 15% off sales and that will stack with the weekly discount.
2. Just browse the genres for what might be up your alley. I like 80s cheese, for instance.
3. They do have a collection called RiffTrax Essentials, which "include our most-loved fan favorites, spanning a variety of subjects and riff types".

I just know from interviews that he's a diehard Republican. Haven't heard him say anything about Trump.

On the other hand, that doesn't make him any less funny of a comedian, which is why I like him.

As far as I'm aware he hasn't really ever talked openly about politics since some interview circa-2004. It's NEVER manifested in his comedy, and if he really were some kind of grandstanding conservative asshole I doubt very much that Bill Corbett and Kevin Murphy would have continued to work with him for the last 10 years, given how openly liberal they are.

The last time I saw politics even vaguely come up with Mike was right after the election somebody was shouting at him on Twitter upset about Wisconsin narrowly going to Trump, which he responded to with "Gah, relax! I'm a Minnesotan!"

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Honestly a bit annoyed that they do these theater showings two full months before those of us who funded this (and don't live in those two cities) get to see it.

No problem with a premier, but two months beforehand kind of sucks.

Honestly a bit annoyed that they do these theater showings two full months before those of us who funded this (and don't live in those two cities) get to see it.

No problem with a premier, but two months beforehand kind of sucks.
It was a kickstarter screening so it was exactly the people who funded it. I traveled from Oklahoma to the LA one. They did sell some extra tickets but they went out of there way to make sure backers had first dibs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom