• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Mystery Science Theater 3000’ Revival Set at Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/mystery-science-theater-3000-revival-set-netflix-1201821661/

They’re back: “Mystery Science Theater 3000” has scored a revival at Netflix, Variety has confirmed.

The streaming giant announced the news on Twitter Saturday night, saying: “In the not so distant future.”

In the not-too-distant future. @MST3K pic.twitter.com/L9IpZW2Cmb

— Netflix US (@netflix) July 24, 2016

The revival is set to star Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt, along with original cast members Bill Corbett, Kevin Murphy and Mary Jo Pehl who will reprise their roles. “Community” creator Dan Harmon and series star Joel Harmon are set to join the writing staff, which is being led by head writer Elliott Kalan, former head writer of “The Daily Show.”

The new season is executive produced by Joel Hodgson, Richard Foos, Bob Emmer, Garson Foos, Jonathan Stern, Harold Buchholz and Elliott Kalan, along with Satellite of Love, LLC, Alternaversal Productions and Abominable Pictures.

Deft Beck

I had a feeling this is what was going to happen. I think it has the biggest chance for exposure on this platform, though I wonder if new viewers will "get it" right away.

Like, it'll be great for people who have been fans for 20 years, but I wonder what the reaction of people who aren't acclimated to the format will think.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Wonder what the release schedule will be like, would be kinda crazy if they drop the entire season at once.

Blues1990

I had a feeling this is what was going to happen. I think it has the biggest chance for exposure on this platform, though I wonder if new viewers will "get it" right away.

Like, it'll be great for people who have been fans for 20 years, but I wonder what the reaction of people who aren't acclimated to the format will think.
I shared some of the MST3K shorts to my friends, most of whom had never watched or heard of the series, & they seemed to like it well enough.

Excellent news.

If we could get some back catalogue to come onto NF as part of various deals that would be amazing. Obviously there will be licensing issues but some of the classics plus the low hanging fruit would be amazing.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/mystery-science-theater-3000-revival-set-netflix-1201821661/

The revival is set to star Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt, along with original cast members Bill Corbett, Kevin Murphy and Mary Jo Pehl who will reprise their roles. “Community” creator Dan Harmon and series star Joel Harmon are set to join the writing staff, which is being led by head writer Elliott Kalan, former head writer of “The Daily Show.”

Isn't that supposed to be Joel McHale?

Sanjuro

Excellent news.

If we could get some back catalogue to come onto NF as part of various deals that would be amazing. Obviously there will be licensing issues but some of the classics plus the low hanging fruit would be amazing.

I imagine they would. The active licensed episodes have been pretty fluid in movement from service to service the last several years.

TedHub

Banned
But were they directly confirmed as Bobbo, Brain Guy, and Pearl? Didn't catch it on the FB.

Yup! :)

- Original creator Joel Hodgson will be joined by comedian Jonah Ray (“Jonah Heston”) as the new host and Felicia Day (Geek & Sundry) as “Kinga Forrester.” Joel McHale and Dan Harmon have attached as writers. Additionally, Mary Jo Pehl (“Pearl Forrester”), Bill Corbett (“Crow T. Robot”) and Kevin Murphy (“Tom Servo”) from the original cast will reprise their roles in the new series.

I do like that they're giving the new guys a chance, it will still be a bit jarring after loving those voices for so long.

I still miss and prefer Trace's Crow to this day, even though Corbett does a great job, recasts/new VA's are always a little jarring.

Great to see the revival in such good hands though.

Now all Netflix needs to do is re-add all the originals to celebrate

That doesn't really answer his question, as all it says is that they will reprise their roles. For all we know it could be them doing Old Crow/Servo for 2 seconds, or "reprise" as in return to the series in general.

Actually super stoked for Joel's return.

I think the jokes were better on average during the Mike era but I preferred the delivery of Joel.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So if this works out for them and Netflix I'd love to see an option added to specific movies, maybe Netflix users can vote on which, that let's you watch a movie but can overlay the silhouettes of the theater and the bots and such and then add their color commentary over the movie. Not sure if this is making sense but I think it would be pretty cool. You can MST3K a movie

Sanjuro

First post on Facebook just shows the Netflix announcement. The link TedHub provided has this,

"- Original creator Joel Hodgson will be joined by comedian Jonah Ray (“Jonah Heston”) as the new host and Felicia Day (Geek & Sundry) as “Kinga Forrester.” Joel McHale and Dan Harmon have attached as writers. Additionally, Mary Jo Pehl (“Pearl Forrester”), Bill Corbett (“Crow T. Robot”) and Kevin Murphy (“Tom Servo”) from the original cast will reprise their roles in the new series."

HylianTom

Banned
I am positively giddy. And proud. I'll be starting a rewatch of the series this Autumn.

Gonna stop myself before I gush more. Wow.

Venture

Really glad this is happening for Joel and the rest and I hope it's a huge success. To be honest I'd personally be much more excited for this if it were Frank and Forrester returning instead of the others. I'll probably give it a chance some day though (not normally a Netflix subscriber).

First post on Facebook just shows the Netflix announcement. The link TedHub provided has this,

"- Original creator Joel Hodgson will be joined by comedian Jonah Ray (“Jonah Heston”) as the new host and Felicia Day (Geek & Sundry) as “Kinga Forrester.” Joel McHale and Dan Harmon have attached as writers. Additionally, Mary Jo Pehl (“Pearl Forrester”), Bill Corbett (“Crow T. Robot”) and Kevin Murphy (“Tom Servo”) from the original cast will reprise their roles in the new series."

The official FB page for MST3K says otherwise, not sure where you are looking. It also links to this article that specifies it too http://www.avclub.com/article/myste...-deb-240027?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=feeds

Enk

makes good threads.
But were they directly confirmed as Bobbo, Brain Guy, and Pearl? Didn't catch it on the FB.

Joel stated at the panel they were reprising their roles as Brain Guy and Bobo to help bridge the gap into the new series. No mention if they will be doing bot voices at any point.

Joel stated at the panel they were reprising their roles as Brain Guy and Bobo to help bridge the gap into the new series. No mention if they will be doing bot voices at any point.

Oh. So probably just a single appearance or so. Bummer.

I know it's impossible to recapture the past, but those Sci Fi seasons were so damn good.

Excellent news.

Thing is NF HAD a pretty solid selection of MST3K eps at one point in the past but they let the deal expire. Hulu now seems to have picked it up. Not sure how well they could ink out a deal on those, but at least they're there. Missing some of the real classics (Santa Claus versus the Martians god dammit), but at least they have the platinum tier space mutiny

Blader

Actually super stoked for Joel's return.

I think the jokes were better on average during the Mike era but I preferred the delivery of Joel.

As someone who came into the show on the Mike era, this is probably my biggest concern of the show, tbh. Joel always felt like he was being too nice; he'd call them cheesy movies, while Mike would call them bad/crappy movies. I liked the more caustic tone of Mike's episodes. But given the amount of writers on board, I imagine it'll still end up feeling different enough from Joel's run anyway.

They haven't started filming I believe, they have been writing and designing so far.

yeah, I think they said they start filming August/September. Which I guess rules out a 2016 release.

Tobor

YES! Netflix is the perfect spot for this and I was so hopeful that's where the revival would end up.

This is so good! We could get many more seasons now, as we should!

Blues1990

Which shorts?

We had a mini marathon of the educational & instructional shorts in this playlist. The ones that they howled at the most were 'Speech: Platform Posture & Apperance', 'The Chicken of Tomorrow', 'Days Of Our Years', & 'Last Clear Chance'. The only one they despised was 'Catching Trouble', which I can't blame them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom