• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Season 11 |OT| It Stinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone explain the "mawwiage" joke to me? They've said it a couple of times this season and Rifftrax has as well. Also, is MST3K the reason why Rifftrax lost the rights for Wizards of the Lost Kingdom?

Do you mean jokes theyd keep bringing up through a film? If that, yes, but it was all dependent on the movie they were riffing. I'm just glad they got a Smuckers preserves joke in the new season (I havent noticed a 'pepperidge farm remembers' as of yet)

Yeah, that's what I mean and you're probably right. I just really enjoy that stuff, especially all the baby jokes in The Christmas that Almost Wasn't.

Can anyone explain the "mawwiage" joke to me? They've said it a couple of times this season and Rifftrax has as well. Also, is MST3K the reason why Rifftrax lost the rights for Wizards of the Lost Kingdom?

I believe that's from the Princess Bride or another classic film. Some old priest or cleric saying marriage.

mclem

I had similar feelings but have grown to genuinely love them after watching them several times. Some of the later shows in the season are real favorites of mine: Robot Holocaust, Moon Zero Two, The Black Scorpion.

Moon Zero Two stood out for me due to the unexpected appearance of Alf Garnett as the villain.

(For Americans: You may know about how All In The Family is based on a British original? Alf Garnett is our Archie Bunker)

(From looking at IMDB, he's also in The Crawling Eye, but I don't recall noticing him in that. That said, the version I've seen was a terrible print, so he may just have been an indistinct blob!)

Also, is MST3K the reason why Rifftrax lost the rights for Wizards of the Lost Kingdom?

I can't say with any certainty, but I doubt it; it was only up for five days, and then rapidly pulled, I suspect there was a rights issue they'd missed.

Venture

Moon Zero Two stood out for me due to the unexpected appearance of Alf Garnett as the villain.

(For Americans: You may know about how All In The Family is based on a British original? Alf Garnett is our Archie Bunker)

(From looking at IMDB, he's also in The Crawling Eye, but I don't recall noticing him in that. That said, the version I've seen was a terrible print, so he may just have been an indistinct blob!)
I wasn't familiar with him but he was great as 100% Hubbard. That whole movie is a lot of fun, even without the MST3K treatment. Looking at his picture now I think he must have been that kooky scientist at the mountain top observatory in The Crawling Eye. I never made the connection before.

Wanace

Just finished watching the last episode.

I am glad I backed it and having 1080p downloaded copies is a nice treat for rewatches.

I really hope that they have a 12th season because I do think the cast has a lot of potential and having an opportunity to hone their craft and their camaraderie can only make the show better.

My favorite episodes were Cry Wilderness and Carnival Magic. I hope they do more of these sorts of "modern day" shit movies. Sort of similar to Final Sacrifice and Touch of Satan.

Overall very happy with what they ended up doing!

gabbo

Just finished watching the last episode.

I am glad I backed it and having 1080p downloaded copies is a nice treat for rewatches.

I really hope that they have a 12th season because I do think the cast has a lot of potential and having an opportunity to hone their craft and their camaraderie can only make the show better.

My favorite episodes were Cry Wilderness and Carnival Magic. I hope they do more of these sorts of "modern day" shit movies. Sort of similar to Final Sacrifice and Touch of Satan.

Overall very happy with what they ended up doing!
I want season 12 just to see the story they come up with for how Crow and Tom end up back in space after living with Mike, given Joel's comments on this subject. I guess I feel like this incarnation could actually support a 'storyline' outside of the basic theme song setup/host segments and there were elements to it this season, but as Ive not finished the last three-four episodes yet, maybe they do go for it.

Live tour officially announced.

"Watch Out For Snakes! Tour" Dates and Ticket Info here

MST3K said:
For the first time ever, join Joel Hodgson, creator/host of the critically-acclaimed “Mystery Science Theater 3000” TV show and its new host Jonah Heston (Jonah Ray) as they bring the first live touring production of MST3K to a city near you on the “Watch Out for Snakes!” Tour.

Appearing with Joel and Jonah live on stage will be robot companions Crow, Tom Servo and Gypsy, along with Synthia (Rebecca Hanson) and her Bonehead henchmen. Of course, it wouldn’t be MST3K without the ever-present surveillance of the Mads, Kinga Forrester (Felicia Day) and TV’s Son of TV’s Frank (Patton Oswalt) checking up on their unwilling test subjects via remote video.

The tour consists of two separate, completely unique shows, each with separate admissions. Fans wanting the complete tour experience should purchase two tickets, one for each show. Each event will include all the things expected from an MST3K experience: a cheesy B movie, hilarious riffing, wisecracking robots, silly sketches plus – for the first time – audience participation! Show # 1 is the MST3K favorite “Eegah” featuring all new riffs and sketches. Show # 2 is a “Secret Surprise Film!” It’s a fun, sci-fi thriller never-before featured on MST3K and will appear only in select cities.

The two live shows are written by the cast and scribes of the new Netflix Original Series, which earned a critics’ rating of 100% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, whose site hails, “Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return picks up right where its predecessor left off, retaining all the cult classic’s crucial ingredients and adding a handful of fresh twists.” MST3K is a Peabody Award-winning show, nominated for two Emmy Awards, and named one of Entertainment Weekly and TIME’s 100 best TV shows of all time and one of Rolling Stone magazine’s Reader’s Poll – Best Comedy Shows of the 1990s (March, 2016). Rolling Stone also listed MST3K among the “100 Greatest TV Shows of All Time.” The TV show relaunched in April on Netflix after the record-breaking #BringBackMST3K Kickstarter Campaign.

Tickets for MST3K “Watch Out for Snakes!” North American tour dates will go on sale to the public Friday, May 19 at 12 Noon local time via ticket links below or the venue box office. Please note where there are multiple performances in a single market, each event is ticketed SEPARATELY.

mclem

With that promo... are they actually wrangling the tour into the overall storyline? That'd be intriguing.

As a non-American, though, I'm left to just hope there will be some sort of VOD down the line.

I'm on the second episode, & it's been pretty solid so far. Out of the current batch of episodes, which ones have the best riffs?
Hard to objectively rank something so subjective.

Personally, I think Cry Wilderness and Carnival Magic are the stand outs, along with the last twenty minutes of Beast of Hollow Mountain.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
What a coincidence, was just watching the Eegah episode on Netflix and I see the "watch out for snakes" joke.

Who did say that though?

Just snapped up tickets for the secret show in Atlanta in August. I like Eegah and all, but given how well the new material this season ended up, I'm looking forward to what the secret is.

Still deciding between Atlanta and Nashville. I had an idiot moment earlier and kept trying to buy Nashville tickets for five minutes before I realized they were an hour behind.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Tickets bought for the Denver show....

I went for the $300 package. Might as well go all out.

I think I'm near front-row center :)

eastx

It's very annoying that they aren't coming to Texas, only one of the biggest states in the country. Fingers crossed they expand the tour...

SuperPac

Got tickets to the Atlanta show - both shows. Never been to any of the Rifftrax or Cinematic Titanic shows so this should be interesting.

Jake

Got tickets to the Atlanta show - both shows. Never been to any of the Rifftrax or Cinematic Titanic shows so this should be interesting.

Live MST-type shows are super fun. (Did anyone see the MST movie ok opening weekend when it came out? That was my first experience watching riffing with a crowd and it was so memorable.)

The main baddie in Loves of Hercules is the most hilariously incompetent villain ever. All of his plans fail and he doesn't do a single thing right.

Watch Da Birdie

I was thinking today, do you think they'd ever do an animated film next season?

I'd love to see them take the piss out of one of those bizarre CG monstrosities you see at the supermarket.

Or Delgo.

just finished episode two of the new series, "Cry Wilderness". wow that movie was bad and hilarious. the new riffs are pretty good too. i like the fast pace, if something doesn't make you laugh, just wait a few seconds and something else might.

i'm an old school fan who used to watch the original show early in the morning before going to school. i had lots of reservations about the new show becoming too modern in a neo-comedy hipster nerd kind of way. but they really nailed that old school feel and the fun is all there. the new hosts are great, the new mads are wonderful, and i love the fake commercial breaks and stuff. the skeleton crew rules. welcome back mst3k!

Some interesting things I learned about The Christmas That Almost Wasn't thanks to IMDb:
*Whipple also wrote the story.
*The villain Prune also wrote the screenplay and was the director.
*Prune was ALSO in real life married to Mrs. Claus.
*Earlier in life Santa won a "successor to Rudolph Valentino" contest.
*This isn't quite the first screen appearance of Whipple. The writer/actor also wrote and appeared in an episode of "Tales of Tomorrow" from the early 50s, and Sam Whipple was that character too. Doesn't seem like he used it beyond that.

I was thinking today, do you think they'd ever do an animated film next season?
Unlikely. Joel has been asked this and basically said that it would clash with how many riffs are made based on the motions or facial expressions of actors, and referenced the supermarionation shows they tried at the beginning of KTMA.
The main baddie in Loves of Hercules is the most hilariously incompetent villain ever. All of his plans fail and he doesn't do a single thing right.
Though his plans to kill Hercules keep failing, he's basically getting away with everything until he dumbly blurts out his guilt where someone can hear. Missed it by that much.

explodet

Been watching episodes with someone at a very slow pace, we just finished episode 4.
Good golly,
the avalanche
was the best character by far.

Watch Da Birdie

Unlikely. Joel has been asked this and basically said that it would clash with how many riffs are made based on the motions or facial expressions of actors, and referenced the supermarionation shows they tried at the beginning of KTMA.

I figured it was probably for a reason like that.

Between Starcrash and At the Earth's Core, I've fallen for Caroline Munro. I hope we get to see more of her terrible movies.

Oh, I just bought tickets for the Live show, any word on what movie it will be?
EDIT: Weird, it's Eegah, which MST3K did in 1993. Thankfully I have no memory of it and I'm sure the jokes won't be completely recycled anyway.

opoth

Banned
These recent cancellations at Netflix are making me nervous. I hope they give MST3K at least another season or two.

These recent cancellations at Netflix are making me nervous. I hope they give MST3K at least another season or two.

Well MST3K was kickstarted, so funding was largely by fans, and it's also very low budget so that gives it hope. MST also had star power pushing it with the likes of Felicia Day, Patton Oswalt, etc all pimping the show all over social media. Shows like Sense8 and the Down were very expensive shows.

Sense 8 for example is supposedly around 9mil per episode. They did 14 episodes of MST for less than 6mil.

Unless this did really awful numbers, I have a hard time believing they would cancel it. At least imagine Netflix giving it another season still.

:O

Lc3XH7X.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom