• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Season 11 |OT| It Stinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reddit are saying that Shout's lost the Final Sacrifice rights, and it's been removed from streaming and purchase

I'm hearing that the VHX for people who purchased the bundle is *currently* still active, so it's not been removed, unlike Soultaker, but folks might want to grab it quickly... I'm just going to have to grit my teeth and hold out until I get home!

How do you lose the rights to a shitty D grade movie from the 8ps? It's not like anyone else gives a shit about it.

Wanace

The Loves of Hercules is way worse than The Beast from Hollow Mountain. Just finished Hercules and it was weak.

There were plenty of points with dead air where some riffs would've fit perfectly. Maybe they hated the film as much as I did.

3rdman

The Loves of Hercules is way worse than The Beast from Hollow Mountain. Just finished Hercules and it was weak.

There were plenty of points with dead air where some riffs would've fit perfectly. Maybe they hated the film as much as I did.

Funny because that was one of my favorite episodes...It's kinda surprising how diverse everyone's opinions have been with this show regarding the quality of the episodes.

opoth

Banned
Funny because that was one of my favorite episodes...It's kinda surprising how diverse everyone's opinions have been with this show regarding the quality of the episodes.

It's always been a subjective thing. I think there's a somewhat agreed upon set of classics in the original series and beyond that everyone has their own personal favorites and I think that just comes down to how one feels about the movie in question.

It's promising that there's no agreed upon complete duds here, but I will say that Hercules was my least favorite too, but that was mostly down to the film itself and not a bad job on the part of the writers.

Regarding the plot of the Hercules movie itself,
is that a movie record for shortest amount of time it takes for a guy to get over his wife's death?

How do you lose the rights to a shitty D grade movie from the 8ps? It's not like anyone else gives a shit about it.

It's happened alot though. Lot of the movies they have done were in gray areas or considered public domain, you would find them in those giant movie packs at pharmacies with like 100 movies on 3 DVDs.

Every once in a while for reasons movie rights are "found" or claimed by a publisher when they buy a package of movies. They buy the right to some movies, but are essentially forced to buy a bundle of shitty movies along with them for cheap as well. So suddenly new publisher has the rights to a movie no one cared about before or no one knew who even previously owned it. They see MST has been using the movie and well they yank that permission

Blader

As of eight episodes in, Avalanche is my favorite -- the least annoying movie and the best riffs so far -- but I don't think many people feel the same, heh.

Regarding the plot of the Hercules movie itself,
is that a movie record for shortest amount of time it takes for a guy to get over his wife's death?
I mean, it's Jayne Mansfield, she has the goods to make a man forget.

I'm pretty sure my favorite episode from this season is Cry Wilderness, followed by Carnival Magic. The Christmas that Almost Wasn't is probably my least favorite at the moment, simply because the movie just frustrates me so much, but the end sequence on the SOL and Moon 13 is so great it redeems so much of it for me.

But Season 11 is up there with Season 7 (kind of cheating), 8 and Season 3 (my all time favorite) with the fewest "skip worthy" episodes. Actually, S11 might be the tops there. I think I can just watch the whole thing over and over and not be too miffed about it.

Kinyou

I think I'm enjoying Starcrash a little too much

Caroline Munro...

CHm2bqE.jpg

As someone who likes to IMDB info about the people involved with the movies, 1111 and 1112 (Wizards 2, Carnival Magic) have been bad news. In both cases a notable on- or off-screen person ended up murdered!

Sanjuro

As someone who likes to IMDB info about the people involved with the movies, 1111 and 1112 (Wizards 2, Carnival Magic) have been bad news. In both cases a notable on- or off-screen person ended up murdered!

It's​ like you don't get to decide who lives and who dies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
If you haven't watched the entire series in order starting with the Green Slime episode then you've missed out on the deep lore and tight, Marvel-esque continuity.

I feel bad for you.

morningbus

When Torgo saunters out of the bathroom damn near half a season after entering it, you know things just got real.

mclem

KTMA? I'm still new to MST3K.

I HATE BEEPER'S NEW BODY

Yeah, what everyone else said, really; while I joked about it, the KTMA stuff is only for completists, they really hadn't got the hang of how to get the best out of the format at that stage.

But if you do want to explore further, there are 197-odd other episodes out there, and people are always happy to thrrow out a quick list of the usual suspects of episodes to try, many of which are available on demand through various formats.

(And the correct answer to 'what do I try now' is Space Mutiny)

opoth

Banned
KTMA is definitely only for people who have already seen the entire series, I'd even make the same argument for most of season one proper.

I skipped most of the last 3 episodes. It was something to have on in the background while doing chores but I rarely found it funny. What a pity. :(

I'm actually really disturbed that they don't riff during the credits. In the past, some of the best bits happened during the credits and I find the cut directly after the movie really jarring.

Netflix really needs to hurry up and renew MST3K.

Yep. I have a feeling it'll be really low viewership though. It's not really a show for normal people, lol.

They probably could have cheaped out more than they did with this season also, tbh. Production values are quite high compared to the old show.

Blader

Yep. I have a feeling it'll be really low viewership though. It's not really a show for normal people, lol.

They probably could have cheaped out more than they did with this season also, tbh. Production values are quite high compared to the old show.

Probably not helped by the fact that I've never seen it actually advertised on Netflix once.

Opto

Banned

really? I knew licensing was more expensive but there were only two sets.

I guess Kinga will have to space some of the skeleton crew to make ends meet

Production values were much higher? It looked so much worse. They didn't even have a real set. It was green screen. I hope they weren't paying Felicia or Patton a lot.

Venture

I'm actually really disturbed that they don't riff during the credits. In the past, some of the best bits happened during the credits and I find the cut directly after the movie really jarring.
The only reason they did it before was because they were required to show the movie's credits. I guess since it's no longer broadcast TV that doesn't apply anymore.

mreddie

S12 announcement has to happen, they already announced another season of the other show released with MST that same day.

I don't know the actual budget, I just mean everything seemed to look quite good. Obviously the cameras are better and whatnot because the show is like 20 years newer and even low end trash looks good compared to what they were working with in 1996, but just... everything looked good imo. They even have a bunch of extras in full costumes, dancing skeleton band, felicia+patton, guest stars like Mark Hamil and Jerry Seinfeld, all that stuff.

The kickstarter hit 5.5 million, so with 0 funding from Netflix that leaves like 300-340,000 per episode. I suspect they probably did get some cash from Netflix, but I don't know the juicy deets. That demolishes the old MST3k budgets I should imagine.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

There was a Youtube where Patton talked about the show on Jimmy Fallon's show and no one knew what the hell he was talking about. They didn't even give him pity laughs, they just listened to an old guy talking about an old person's show.

I hope it does pick up an announce now that it's on Netflix cus I need more seasons.

morningbus

I don't think it's Netflix's to renew is it?

The point of the kickstarter was to get enough funding to show the demand to a "network," who would then fund additional seasons.

They never intended to continue going back to the kickstarter well for funding more seasons.

The point of the kickstarter was to get enough funding to show the demand to a "network," who would then fund additional seasons.

They never intended to continue going back to the kickstarter well for funding more seasons.

I give it even odds that they have to go back to KS or just don't get another season outright.

This is based on a feeling in my loins.

morningbus

I give it even odds that they have to go back to KS or just don't get another season outright.

This is based on a feeling in my loins.

If they do, expect a reduced episode order or a significant bump in the final goal. Apparently, Netflix picking it up for distribution helped cover most of the gaps financially, but they didn't make a ton of money off it.

The kickstarter hit 5.5 million, so with 0 funding from Netflix that leaves like 300-340,000 per episode. I suspect they probably did get some cash from Netflix, but I don't know the juicy deets. That demolishes the old MST3k budgets I should imagine.

If even close to true, it would indeed. IIRC, OG MST3K cost about $100-150k an episode, I think. I forget where the stat was covered...I think it was during the second big renewal plea after Sci-Fi Channel let it lapse. If I'm wrong, please forgive me.

EDIT: From a Joel interview on the KS revival:
Fifteen years ago it was about $100,000 to make a Mystery Science Theater. My feeling is it's still kind of in the neighborhood of what they had for the old shows.

Production values were much higher? It looked so much worse.
To name a few obvious examples the model work seems a lot more complicated, the robot puppets have more going on and several people working on them, guest appearances by some pretty notable people rather than regular cast/crew, and there were like 5 times as many people in the credits in general who must have been wanting paid.

mclem

and there were like 5 times as many people in the credits in general who must have been wanting paid.

One thing that helped me put that in perspective was to realise this: In the original run, Mighty Science Theater played over the entire credits. Nowadays they need a medley of three or four songs to do so, even before they get to the massive list of Kickstarter backers.

120v

i thought it was kind of given we'd get another season or three without fuss. you have to be a pretty abysmal money sink for netflix to cut you off after one season

One thing that helped me put that in perspective was to realise this: In the original run, Mighty Science Theater played over the entire credits. Nowadays they need a medley of three or four songs to do so, even before they get to the massive list of Kickstarter backers.

Well you need the ten guys in panda zombie outfits fake-playing instruments in the background of the fake commercial pre-reels.

In reference to costs, the Kickstarter requested an initial $2 million for production start-up costs and the first 3 episodes. After that, an additional episode was achieved after every $300-330k.

The initial productions costs are taken care of. That should make it so that future seasons could be produced for cheaper than this one, if anything.

If even close to true, it would indeed. IIRC, OG MST3K cost about $100-150k an episode, I think. I forget where the stat was covered...I think it was during the second big renewal plea after Sci-Fi Channel let it lapse. If I'm wrong, please forgive me.

EDIT: From a Joel interview on the KS revival:

And of course that was by Season 9-10. I feel like the budget got a little higher by the later seasons than the earlier ones, although that might just have been my imagination.

To name a few obvious examples the model work seems a lot more complicated, the robot puppets have more going on and several people working on them, guest appearances by some pretty notable people rather than regular cast/crew, and there were like 5 times as many people in the credits in general who must have been wanting paid.

Why fix what isn't broke. I was happy with non functioning robot arms and no guest stars. Oh well. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

opoth

Banned
There was a Youtube where Patton talked about the show on Jimmy Fallon's show and no one knew what the hell he was talking about. They didn't even give him pity laughs, they just listened to an old guy talking about an old person's show.

I hope it does pick up an announce now that it's on Netflix cus I need more seasons.

Good, I'd be worried if the Fallon crowd "got it" - Colbert is another story.

Why fix what isn't broke. I was happy with non functioning robot arms and no guest stars. Oh well. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

I get unreasonably irked everytime they have Crow sitting with his long, shiny legs prominently displayed on a beanbag.

I finally made it up to episode 10 last night. I'm overall still positive on the season, though there are a few times where I'm genuinely more interested in seeing the movie than whatever Jonah and the bots are talking about (The Loves of Hercules).

I don't remember a single thing about the Yongary epiode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom