• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Season 11 |OT| It Stinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbo

:O

Lc3XH7X.jpg
i feel like Jonah and the boys should riff trumps tweets

gabbo

Trump wishes he could rift as fast as MST3K, there's usually a 10+ minute gap between tweets when he posts a series of tweets.

Tom and Crow have proportional sized hands and Jonah is just another mug in a yellow jumpsuit. Of course they can riff faster than Trump

Jake

Their set design looks really great. It's the thing that makes me feel like I'm missing out not going to the live show.

Finally started this but jumped to the Yongary episode. I like giant monster flicks and never saw this in its entirety, so why not as an MST3K. I thought the episode was pretty good, lots of stuff to work with right from whatever kind of driving that was in the beginning, capsule!, the interesting ending...(!)

Will next go to the At The Earth's Core episode. I actually just watched this normally, available on Vudu (Free). Now to see what fun they have with it.

Finally started this but jumped to the Yongary episode. I like giant monster flicks and never saw this in its entirety, so why not as an MST3K. I thought the episode was pretty good, lots of stuff to work with right from whatever kind of driving that was in the beginning, capsule!, the interesting ending...(!)

Will next go to the At The Earth's Core episode. I actually just watched this normally, available on Vudu (Free). Now to see what fun they have with it.

There is a story kinda this time in MST, so you might want to watch them in order.

Really think At Earth's Core was the weakest ep of the new season sadly.

There is a story kinda this time in MST, so you might want to watch them in order.

Really think At Earth's Core was the weakest ep of the new season sadly.

I'm fine skipping around, when investing an hour and a half per episode I'd rather choose what I'm in the mood for. Haven't seen the Core episode yet, eventually perhaps.

Anyway, I thought they started off well with Reptilicus (holey moley at the paper cutout dude!). And Cry Wilderness was like a weird side job for whomever supplied the animals for Grizzly Adams. Just throw whatever bobcat and bear is currently unemployed in there along with bigfoot.

Avalanche I didn't finish, honestly couldn't laugh when seeing such sadsack performances from once big names. OTOH, I really liked both the movie and the riffs on The Time Travelers (favorite along with Yongary, more for the jokes on that one), and Hollow Mountain had an especially entertaining last third. In the mood for Starcrash next.

I remember actually seeing Starcrash as a kid on some kind of bad, TV weekend movie matinee. Even without any sophisticated awareness of special effects or nuanced dialog, I could tell it was bad.

MSTK elevated it to something glorious.

Starcrash was one of my favorites for the season. It was just so... I don't even have words for it. It was a good time though.

Twitch Marathon Soon

Do you love everything Mystery Science Theater 3000! Join Mike, Joel, Tom Servo, Crow T. Robot and the rest of the crew for a 6-day MST3K marathon on Shout! Factory TV's new Twitch Channel! We're giving 38 classic MST3K episodes, bonus segments and shorts, and a place to chat with other MSTies! The marathon kicks off on Monday, June 26th at 11 am PT. Join us for the entire event or visit Shout! Factory TV to see the full schedule.

And as if that is not enough, during the marathon we'll also be having MST3K DVD deals and free shipping offers on ShoutFactory.com. So don't miss out!

Blader

^I also finished the season the other night, and was shocked at how awful Peter Cushing was in that movie. Might be the worst performance I've seen from him. Luckily he bounced back literally the next year with Star Wars, lol

My favorites of S11:
Carnival Magic
Yongary
The Christmas That Almost Wasn't
Avalanche
The Time Travelers

mclem

^I also finished the season the other night, and was shocked at how awful Peter Cushing was in that movie. Might be the worst performance I've seen from him. Luckily be bounced back literally the next year with Star Wars, lol

My favorites of S11:
Carnival Magic
Yongary
The Christmas That Almost Wasn't
Avalanche
The Time Travelers

One thing that's impressed me about this season's consistency is that, while individuals have liked or disliked individual episodes more or less than others, there's not really been any universally derided "Yeah, that was a bit of a dud".

I finally finished the season last night. What an amazing run. The consistency of the episodes was unbelievable.

I'm trying to decide on my favorite episode and I can't make up my mind. 'The Land that Time Forgot' might take the cake.

QuarrelsomePlasticGreatdane.gif

https://gfycat.com/QuarrelsomePlasticGreatdane

Yeah, holy shit. Why does the dinosaur explode like a cool car when he hits the ground??

Personally my favorite part of the new season might be the Wizards of the Lost Kingdom and its sequel in part because the sequel had nothing to do with the original.

One thing that's impressed me about this season's consistency is that, while individuals have liked or disliked individual episodes more or less than others, there's not really been any universally derided "Yeah, that was a bit of a dud".
Agreed. It's fun to see what people feel are their top episodes for S11. It's all over the place and that's awesome.

Blader

I'd probably say Reptilicus is the closest to that, in that it was just ok to me. But certainly no Hamlets in this season.

Also, now that I've finished it, here's a list of things I think they should cut from S12:

-Servo flying. It's distracting and pointless.

-Gypsy dropping in on the theater. If they want her to riff, have her sit in the theater for a segment or a whole movie. But her twice-a-movie one-liners don't work at all. They're all *really bad* and not funny in the slightest.

-There are some riffs that go on way too long, and 9 times out of 10 it's being written/presented as a back-and-forth conversation (usually someone talking among themselves, but sometimes between two or all three of them). Again, not funny in the slightest.

-Too much singing. It was funny when Servo would occasionally break out in a song every couple of episodes. When it's all three of them, multiple times an episode, every episode, it's annoying and comes off as really forced.

-Pace of the jokes got better after Reptilicus and Cry Wildnerness, but they still need to slow down. I think just cutting every third riff at a given time would do a lot to open up some more breathing room.

Overall, I'm pleased with how S11 shook out for the most part. There was some great episodes, I think they have a good blueprint in place to improve on for S12 and beyond, and I might now finally be in the right mindset to yet again attempt to tackle the Joel era eps in earnest.

Aaron

Amazing funny show. The pacing of riffs was right in tune with the roar of the crowd that made the whole evening just fly by. Host segments were mostly great. My only minor issue was the cuts to the prerecorded Kanga segments felt off. Would have liked the show more if she had a brief appearance at the start of the show, and that's it. The new riffs were really damned funny. Overall much better than the original, but I still pine a bit for Joel's expert deadpan. So definitely go if you can... and watch out for snakes.

So...I just saw an ad for the live tour on Facebook and was surprised to see they showed a clip from the "secret show." I knew right away it wasn't from a movie they've ever done before.

The movie is:
Argoman the Fantastic Superman.

So I guess it's not so secret anymore.

I saw both Chicago shows and _really_ enjoyed them. The re-riff on Eegah I thought was easily better than the classic. I'd just rewatched the original that morning in prep for the live show and was surprised by how dull I found most of it after all this time. Of course the energy of the live show helped, but still - I'd easily pick the new riffs over the old.

The secret film was also just perfect. Weird, quirky, and definitely of it's time. I'd love it if we got a proper version of this one as well.

Overall, I _highly_ encourage anyone who is a fan of MST3k to go and check out these live shows. I was hesitant about how it might all work out, and some of the bits definitely fell flat - but the riffing was top notch and hysterical. Had a really great time. If we never get a season 12, and instead just get the occasional live tour, I'd be bummed, but I'd be buying tickets for each show.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I saw both Chicago shows and _really_ enjoyed them. The re-riff on Eegah I thought was easily better than the classic. I'd just rewatched the original that morning in prep for the live show and was surprised by how dull I found most of it after all this time. Of course the energy of the live show helped, but still - I'd easily pick the new riffs over the old.

The secret film was also just perfect. Weird, quirky, and definitely of it's time. I'd love it if we got a proper version of this one as well.

Overall, I _highly_ encourage anyone who is a fan of MST3k to go and check out these live shows. I was hesitant about how it might all work out, and some of the bits definitely fell flat - but the riffing was top notch and hysterical. Had a really great time. If we never get a season 12, and instead just get the occasional live tour, I'd be bummed, but I'd be buying tickets for each show.

We only got one show in Denver, what's the secret film?

We only got one show in Denver, what's the secret film?

Argoman the Fantastic Superman. Think 1960s combination James Bond/Super Man who loves to change robes every other scene. Perfectly campy and weird.
Bummed you guys only got the one show! Hopefully they do end up doing a proper riff of it because it was really fantastic.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
I'm currently at the Seattle show. It's just about to start. I'm glad to hear the positive reviews. I'm seeing both shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom