• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Canada increasing prices $1-2/month

stuminus3

And it only has Apple TV and Xbox One support, as well as Samsung TVs. That's it. No PS4 app, no Roku app. Then they complain that they don't have enough people signing up for it, no shit.

Fucking dinosaurs are spending a ton of money on advertisement, considering I see an ad for CraveTV every other commercial break, but they aren't spending money on putting their apps on every device possible.
Quality is garbage vs Netflix too. It's infuriating because they've got the content.

This is as good a place to ask as any, I suppose. Preface: I really don't know much about resolutions & frames per second etc. but I'm a Canadian Netflix user so what the hell.

When I watch Netflix outside of my own home the display is incredible. Everything is silky smooth - to the point where it really comes across like your watching actors through a window. I suspect this is because the FPS is much higher than 24 but I don't know.

At my house however, even on a new TV it doesn't look like this. Everything just feels "fine" but I don't get that really nice picture.

I realize this is a dumb question with potentially many answers - but does anybody know why? I have a decent internet connection and have all video on my Apple TV set to output at 1080p 60Hz.

Ooh, Shudder does have a Roku app. I am interested. How's the content for Canada?

I can't compare as I haven't seen the U.S. version, but you're free to go to shudder.com and browse the content I believe.

One really cool thing about Shudder is Shudder.tv, a secondary section that's completely free and streams 24/7 horror movies. Only downside is you don't pick the content and I think there's brief commercials.

kevin1025

Banned
And it only has Apple TV and Xbox One support, as well as Samsung TVs. That's it. No PS4 app, no Roku app. Then they complain that they don't have enough people signing up for it, no shit.

Fucking dinosaurs are spending a ton of money on advertisement, considering I see an ad for CraveTV every other commercial break, but they aren't spending money on putting their apps on every device possible.

I keep wanting to join back up with CraveTV, but the last time I used it the web browser would just buffer like crazy. Their Windows 10 app is greyed out because I don't have touch function on my PC. And the amount of tweets about login issues sounds like a real nightmare.

kevin1025

Banned
I can't compare as I haven't seen the U.S. version, but you're free to go to shudder.com and browse the content I believe.

One really cool thing about Shudder is Shudder.tv, a secondary section that's completely free and streams 24/7 horror movies. Only downside is you don't pick the content and I think there's brief commercials.

Shudder is real good. Plus if you're curious you can get a 7 day free trial, and if you go to cancel it actually gives you another 30 day free trial! They are super generous, and also worth the price if you're a horror buff.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
If Netflix Canda is as good as it was when VPN was a thing it's worth twice that. Just sayin'.

...how long as Netflix had tiers? I feel like I should've known about this years ago.

But anyways, time to binge what I want from Netflix and dump it. Their selection has never been good enough, and if they're going to start jacking up the price, then forget it. Might take a few months to actually 'binge' at my snail's connoisseur's pace, but I'll be free of you yet, Netflix!
I never looked into it, but is the Canadian Netflix getting Star Trek: Discovery?
I haven't seen news either way, but I'd assume it'll be aired on a cable network. A different CBS Access-exclusive show, the Good Fight, was aired in Canada on the W Network (or something like that) and I don't recall it showing up on any streaming services... Though it was on Telus' weird on demand thing for free after airing; not sure if that was due to having the channel as a cable subscriber or what.

kevin1025

Banned
This is sure to help them once Disney and the other big studios leave.

Millarworld will save them!

They are slowly but surely going to have enough of their own content that in a few years time it won't sting as much if they aren't first at getting streaming rights to outside content. But they are really, really struggling with keeping quality up on their stuff, so it's going to be interesting to see what happens.

...how long as Netflix had tiers? I feel like I should've known about this years ago.

But anyways, time to binge what I want from Netflix and dump it. Their selection has never been good enough, and if they're going to start jacking up the price, then forget it. Might take a few months to actually 'binge' at my snail's connoisseur's pace, but I'll be free of you yet, Netflix!

I haven't seen news either way, but I'd assume it'll be aired on a cable network. A different CBS Access-exclusive show, the Good Fight, was aired in Canada on the W Network (or something like that) and I don't recall it showing up on any streaming services... Though it was on Telus' weird on demand thing for free after airing; not sure if that was due to having the channel as a cable subscriber or what.

I could have sworn I read that ST:D is gonna be Crave exclusive.

This is sure to help them once Disney and the other big studios leave.

lCsJqVZ.gif

Didn't that shit take a bit hit last month with a bunch of add-ons getting closed?

No idea.

I'm probably the 1% of people who think Netflix is still a great deal - even in Canada. But I'm also the guy watching 90s tv shows once or twice a week with the occasional movie.

KingV

Must be complete garbage then. Because US netflix is pretty bad these days unless you like their original content.

Agreed. Netflix seems like it gets worse and worse. I actually watch Amazon Prime more these days. Amazon Fucking Prime! Which for the longest time had nothing but literal garbage on it.

Bluenoser

I pay for Netflix premium for 4K, $14 a month is getting pretty high from their original proposal, especially since they seem to promote their own shows over newer AAA movies.

Canada has a gimped version of Amazon Video, and just got it last year. No Hulu, No HBO Now, but if you subscribe to the premium movie network "The Movie Network" you get their version of HBO online on their online platform/app.

And the best part about Amazon Prime video- we have severely limited access to even use it. I assume we can stream on PC. Maybe some smart TV's might have the App, not sure. For PS4, I had to log into my US account to even get the app to use it. I wasnt even on the Canadian PS store.

Dunlop

I really don't get some of the rage about a price increase.

If you no longer use the service or don't agree with the value, obviously you quit but it's not like they have been sitting on their asses and watching the money roll in (cough..cough..PSN)

Netflix Canada now vs when it released is exponentially better. They are releasing tons of Original content.

Still the best streaming in Canada. Love their content wish I had more time to watch it.

And since I've cut the cord can't think of anything remotely better.

We just subbed a couple of months ago (LTTP I know), so we are still in the honeymoon phase with lots to watch, it still kinda sucks seeing it raise so soon after we joined but it's not like there's much else we can do about it aside from pirating it given the lack of options up here.

Still a good value for us for now.

Fine by me. I get a nice chuckle out of people who claim they'll never watch it again for like $12/year, much like they declare they'll never drink Tim Hortons coffee again when it goes up 10 cents.

As streaming services inevitably get worse and/or more expensive, I wonder if this slows down the amount cord-cutting?

No, it's not going to force those of us who cut cords because of the terrible pricing of selection on regular Tv. All it's going to do is push more and more people towards pirating and kodi. The telecoms and studios thought they scored a bi low to them last month but Exodus just went and found a new host and Elysium and Covenant are going to replace Exodus anyway.

Top Bottom