• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Amazing ZombiU trailer

I'm not saying ZombiU is some amazing game or anything like that. Most likely it will end up being the Condemned of the WiiU launch, at least that is the impression I got from my hands-on time.

An all around amazing horror FPS with a shitty endboss that sold enough copies to warrant a still good but not AS good sequel?
I am okay with this!

JJD

Good trailer, but I'm still not convinced.

Red Steel looked amazing too and everyone knows how it ended up being.

I'll wait for GAF impressions.

eXistor

From what I understand this game has a semi-open world. Kind of like Deus Ex (with similar level-design to boot from what I've seen). That alone should put the game on everyone's radar. I think the mechanics look really fun actually and I'm definitely getting it on launch. I'm not expecting a classic, but a rather a solid game with some cool concepts.

yeah..let me put you in perspective ( in my broken english ;( )

im 45 years old,32 years on the gaming industry,developing games and working on european gaming press,reading neogaf since 2006,( never posted because my poor english)

yes..im a junior member and i dont know anything about gaming at all

So you only trust people who talk only positive things about your system of choice,nice to know.

Not at all, and you shouldn't assume I was saying you don't know anything about games.

Like ScreenSplitter said, what SpanishWrath posted is at odds with most of the impressions I've read on reputable gaming websites. And without this post, right here, telling me you're 45 (your age is irrelevant btw) and how long you've been following games, how am I meant to know you from Adam or trust you?

If it's a turd, I'll be disappointed. Games like Funky Barn and Wipeout 3 look like obvious turds, whereas this doesn't look or sound like a turd to me at all -- in fact, the conceptual ideas in play sound really good. The impressions that I've read personally are mostly positive too. I've got an open mind that this could turn out to be rubbish - and who knows, maybe Funky Barn is awesome...

but my point was, and still is, for games that have yet to be released or exposed to a wider public - I'll trust impressions from the sites and journalists I follow, rather than one or two posters I don't know on GAF. Especially on a day like today.

I apologise for my snark earlier anyway, I don't like to offend.

watership

The fact that that this trailer is showing cg hands holding the wii u controller is freaking me out. What game am I playing?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
  • The concept of scavenging in a dangerous enironment and being vulnerable seems to have been well realised in gameplay.
  • The concept of your character becoming more experienced in weapon use and accruing scavenged weapons and items makes the perma-death aspect more compelling -- you lose your shit, you've gotta go find Zombie-You and get it back. Assuming you don't run out of survivors to play with.
  • The social interaction aspects are cool.
  • It looks good. Voicework sounds good. Production values look good. Seems like it have a few cleverly scripted jumps and scares.
  • The scenario - post apocalyptic London - the London underground, the Mall, Buckingham Palace, Tower Bridge etc ---- it looks cool!

I honestly don't see why anyone would be down on the game actually.

lots of cheesy jump scares for my liking. Rather than actually trying to avoid zombies etc, seems like you just get a lot of darkness so you use your tunnel vision torch, and lots of right angled corners in narrow areas so you are 'surprised'

lots of cheesy jump scares for my liking. Rather than actually trying to avoid zombies etc, seems like you just get a lot of darkness so you use your tunnel vision torch, and lots of right angled corners in narrow areas so you are 'surprised'

Yet everyone loves the first two Resident Evil games, which is 100% what you described.

Guys, just came from an event Ubisoft organized in Madrid and could try ZombieU.

The game is trash. Seriously. It really plays bad. It's like if the gamepad and the game didn't get along. You have to look the touchscreen and the tv screen at the same time and it's not cool.

The camera control is very wierd. Sometimes it moves fast and others too slow. I didn't know what the hell was going on and when I wanted to react I had three zombies around me and my only weapon was a cricket bat that did no damage.
Sounds like survival horror. You're not supposed to be a bad ass that runs around head-shotting everyone. Though I reserve judgement on controls until I actually play it.

Some new screens too (more here http://vgimg.com/215/zombiu/)
Well certainly not a looker, although I do appreciate the mood.

Well certainly not a looker, although I do appreciate the mood.

1130432920.jpg

1124283310.jpg

ZombiU?

215-zombiu-ZyQ.jpg

215-zombiu-UxQ.jpg

Condemned?

Not alot has happend in 7 years...

Ok there's alot more going on in the ZombiU screens, but still

hatchx

Banned
This looks like a very standard zombie first-person shooter with a few Wii U-specific features that seem pretty minor. Why the excitement?

Everyone hands-on impressions says the WiiU features are great.

I am interested by the premise and different approach. It'd be easy enough to make a 4 player co-op zombie shooter (and people here would probably rave for it) but that has been done.

I have to commend Ubi Soft for their creativity, and this is definitely become a major hit for the launch. I predict over a million in sales.

Saty

Yet to see anything to change my mind about the second screen implementation. Very gimmicky and easily reproducible on one screen unless for some reason you really like the idea of looking down at another screen. And it still beats the purpose of 'hardcore' horror experience if i get an extra character view and all the other things i mentioned before.

Guys, just came from an event Ubisoft organized in Madrid and could try ZombieU.

The game is trash. Seriously. It really plays bad. It's like if the gamepad and the game didn't get along. You have to look the touchscreen and the tv screen at the same time and it's not cool.

The camera control is very wierd. Sometimes it moves fast and others too slow. I didn't know what the hell was going on and when I wanted to react I had three zombies around me and my only weapon was a cricket bat that did no damage.
You're not hardcore enough :p
I guess I'll have to check but I remember one of the Ubisoft representative saying that Wii-U is actually way more hardcore (gameplay wise) than everyone could imagine. It's not Wii again at all and asymetric gameplay is not that easy.

liger05

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/09/wii_u_zombiu_premium_pack_confirmed_for_eu

During today's European Wii U Preview it was announced that a limited edition bundle would be available at launch along side the standard and deluxe bundles.

The special "Wii U ZombiU Premium Pack" includes the black Wii U and GamePad, as well as both the ZombiU game and a black Wii U Pro Controller; all in, we expect, a horrifyingly cool box.

This has only been confirmed by Ubisoft as a European bundle at present, we expect confirmation of availability in North America shortly. Initial reports suggest that retailers will be asking £330 for this pack.

I would bite for £330

Do people have hype goggles on or something, because this doesn't look good. It looks kinda generic and fitting of the generic title. Being forced to use the tablet for fine aiming is also a terrible idea. though I guess that can potentially be turned off.

I would like to know what exactly about it is generic. Specific details and more importantly, what would need to be different for it to not be generic. I also would like to know how the title somehow cosmically effects the quality of the gameplay. It would also be interesting to hear your thoughts more in depth about how pointer controls are a "terrible idea" for aiming in a game.

ekim

Honestly the only the game I want to play from all announced wii u games. But that's not worth buying the console. :(

A few things i will say about this game, firstly dont give me screen shots good or bad. Screens mean nothing to me. You need to see a game like this in motion and thats all there is to it. That being said, i think the look is awesome. There is a creamyness to it, it seems slightly better looking than what im used to in other similar games. Not mind blowingly, and not across every facet of visuals, but its enough that it looks good and the atmosphere is elevated by the graphics.

As far as looking down at the Gamepad... i think its great. Its supposed to be a juggling act, thats the point. It will make more sense when you are playing the game alone in the dark, have almost no ammo left etc etc.

To me the best part of the game is the sound. Whoever is doing the audio is trying really hard to make it great. All the zombie sounds are brutal and right up front. All the gun sounds are crisp and very present. The haunting pinging sound of your little scanner thing is great. They picked the perfect sound for it. I have to hand it to the audio department. Everything sounds great.

Great great great.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Reminds of Red Steel proof of concept

I don't see the amazing I guess

Hoo-doo

Banned
In what way other than both are on Nintendo consoles, which isn't a valid answer?

It's a pretty damn generic looking Ubisoft first-person shooter coming out of nowhere to be launch-window software for a new Nintendo console.
The last time a game like that got extremely positive impressions and tons of hype, the game ended up being pretty terrible in the end. (Yes, Red Steel)

You can't blame people for being cautious this time around.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
It's a pretty damn generic looking Ubisoft first-person shooter coming out of nowhere to be launch-window software for a new Nintendo console.
The last time a game like that got extremely positive impressions and tons of hype, the game ended up being pretty terrible in the end. (Yes, Red Steel)

Red Steel never had extremely positive impressions :lol

You can be cautious, but not for some stupid ass reason like Red Steel. Seriously, if you are concerned about ZombiU because of Red Steel, then I hope you are concerned about Watch Dogs as well.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
In what way other than both are on Nintendo consoles, which isn't a valid answer?

Like as a game I don't see what's so interesting or unique about it besides using the pad for inventory management and things like shooting a turret or aiming down a sniper scope.(acts that don't look like they're made more enjoyable by the functionality)

Kinda like how Red Steel was a pretty generic shooter that hyped/sold people on the concept of aiming/sword fighting with a wiimote.

Main difference being that even in hindsight I can understand why Red Steel was an exciting concept to people.

This I don't get at all.

because it looks different that the majority of zombie games/modes out there...at least for me

How?

That's what I'm curious about.

jrDev

Short term memory loss? Revisionist?

Medalion

Banned
I am already sold on this game
UI-less HDTV presentation ftw

This thing got buried in the news today cuz we've already seen so much of this game already

Shame

LM4sure

Banned
I am already sold on this game
UI-less HDTV presentation ftw

This thing got buried in the news today cuz we've already seen so much of this game already

Shame

I agree! I was watching the trailer and I thought the gameplay looked pretty good and then I noticed there was no ui on the tv and I was like day one!

Ein Bear

Suprised at the people saying this looks 'generic', to me this is the freshest take on the FPS/survival horror genre that I've seen in years.

Really looking forward to it! As a Brit, it's pretty great being able to play a game set in London for once too.

I dont know what scares me more, the games concept, or the fact that I've been "bitten" before, buying a Ubisoft launch game. Decisions decisions.

I played this game a few weeks ago and I played Red Steel before release as well. I got the same feeling and it wasn't good.

Top Bottom