• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Batman Arkham Knight Trailer

I think I always thought of Batman as lithe but muscular, capable of feats of strength without looking like it. It's one reason enemies rush him, because he isn't clearly bulging with vein-rich biceps and they don't get that feeling that they made a huge mistake until he is judo-throwing them across the room. On the age-old scale from ninja to Haggar, he always seemed to be left of center toward ninja overall.

TAS, whether intentionally or due to artstyle, fits this view of Batman for me. Rocksteady Batman really doesn't. He becomes bigger and more armored with every iteration.

It's not something that will keep me from playing the game, but I at least finally realized why I look at this Batman and think "This does not fit my concept of the character."
I think lithe is more a word I would use to describe a character like Nightwing. But I agree Batman should be more ninja than He-Man. I think I've seen comments to the same effect about Snyder's Batfleck being too chunky. Although I'd say they've scaled down a bit in AK compared to older games rather than continuing to bulk him up.

Watched the HD trailer from Gamersyde, and it's just not doing anything for me. The graphics look improved, but it looks like essentially the same dark and dreary city from Arkham City. After loving Arkham Asylum and quitting Arkham City halfway through (and skipping Origins), this just isn't doing anything for me. Really wish they had branched out with more than just "he has the Batmobile and more armor on his suit now."

A new setting would have really helped things out.

I hope other last-gen franchise sequels do something different (Uncharted, I'm looking at you) to really set them apart from what came before.

DrunkDan

I'd love it if when you stood still the cape would wrap around batman, makes him look imposing and gives an excellent silhouette.

scoobs

I think overall it looks great and I cannot wait to see what the PC version looks like, but MAN are there some aliasing issues w/ that cityscape in the background :-( very very distracting

I think overall it looks great and I cannot wait to see what the PC version looks like, but MAN are there some aliasing issues w/ that cityscape in the background :-( very very distracting
That was the first thing I noticed as well.

I don't know whether it's a resolution thing, the fact that it's an early build, or if that's just how it looks, but it definitely hurts the overall look of the game.

The new Batman suit is beast. I'd also like to say that I'm excited that they created a new villain with Arkham Knight. Harley Quinn started out as a new villain strictly for the animated series and look how awesome she turned out. My hype level is through the roof for this game.

The new Batman suit is beast. I'd also like to say that I'm excited that they created a new villain with Arkham Knight. Harley Quinn started out as a new villain strictly for the animated series and look how awesome she turned out. My hype level is through the roof for this game.

Yeah, I mean, every villain started out from zero at some point. Why assume that this guy will not be up to snuff?

Coincidentally, I just played the Cold, Cold Heart DLC for Origins this morning and... yeesh. I'll be glad to see Rocksteady back in charge of Batman again.

viveks86

Finally got to watch the trailer. Lighting looks insanely good. They just seem to have severe aliasing issues in all those wide city shots. That's my only complaint. Loved everything else! Can't wait!

ibmZLsX4C53X4s.gif

Renekton

I think I always thought of Batman as lithe but muscular, capable of feats of strength without looking like it. It's one reason enemies rush him, because he isn't clearly bulging with vein-rich biceps and they don't get that feeling that they made a huge mistake until he is judo-throwing them across the room. On the age-old scale from ninja to Haggar, he always seemed to be left of center toward ninja overall.

TAS, whether intentionally or due to artstyle, fits this view of Batman for me. Rocksteady Batman really doesn't. He becomes bigger and more armored with every iteration.

It's not something that will keep me from playing the game, but I at least finally realized why I look at this Batman and think "This does not fit my concept of the character."
Nah, he's definitely imposing and bulging especially in the comics. All his proteges are lithe though, wonder why.

Coincidentally, I just played the Cold, Cold Heart DLC for Origins this morning and... yeesh. I'll be glad to see Rocksteady back in charge of Batman again.
Not that it's saying much, but CCH was the best DLC of the series so far. On topthe of that, it's certainly as good as portions of AA and AC's main game. I've discussed the ins and outs of these games compared to one another at length and have never seen anyone explain how AO is supposedly such a huge step down.

The basic combat balance was somewhat worse in AO without many considerable improvements aside from speeding a few things up. Other than a few changes to combat and overly empty map, the game was still as good as AA, at they very least. Not sure what's so terrble about AO's DLC in particular thay it can be summed up with "yeesh."

Footos22

Chromatic abberation should go die in a fire.

Why Devs suddnely feel this is a good thing to use, i don't know.

Literally the most horrible effect i've ever seen in 25 years of gaming.

Feels like i should be wearing old school red and blue 3d glasses.

saska

Uh, I'm not seeing any chromatic abberation in that trailer?

Not sure what's so terrble about AO's DLC in particular thay it can be summed up with "yeesh."

The dreadful final boss, mainly. Overall it's a fine DLC, same gorgeous production values as the main game, but that final boss was so long, repetitive, awkward and frustrating that it ruined the whole thing retroactively. I honestly don't know how the devs looked at what they'd done and thought it'd be enjoyable to play, even ignoring the lofty standards that Rocksteady set for a Mr Freeze bossfight.

I don't think AO was a bad game or anything, just that it's Arkham City again but everything's a little bit worse. Combat's not as solid, level design is awkward in predator rooms, shock gloves and remote claw unbalance things, stupid upgrade system, glitches all over the joint. The Metroidvania-ness is dropped in favour of linear levels or short inside areas where you walk in the front door, fight guys then walk straight back out the way you came. The basics are all there, of course, and it's a totally decent game, but Rocksteady's Batmans are two of my favourites of the generation and I don't think AO really compares.

BBboy20

The dreadful final boss, mainly. Overall it's a fine DLC, same gorgeous production values as the main game, but that final boss was so long, repetitive, awkward and frustrating that it ruined the whole thing retroactively. I honestly don't know how the devs looked at what they'd done and thought it'd be enjoyable to play, even ignoring the lofty standards that Rocksteady set for a Mr Freeze bossfight.

I don't think AO was a bad game or anything, just that it's Arkham City again but everything's a little bit worse. Combat's not as solid, level design is awkward in predator rooms, shock gloves and remote claw unbalance things, stupid upgrade system, glitches all over the joint. The Metroidvania-ness is dropped in favour of linear levels or short inside areas where you walk in the front door, fight guys then walk straight back out the way you came. The basics are all there, of course, and it's a totally decent game, but Rocksteady's Batmans are two of my favourites of the generation and I don't think AO really compares.
Sounds like Montreal was better off making DLC for City.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Maybe it's just the camera angle. I mean her face looks good in the CGI trailer and artwork.

tumblr_static_tumblr_n20pmr53bx1qjl5gqo1_400.jpg

944x531eny7m.jpg

What's up with Harley's face/head looking different in every kind of media she's in? Her look from the concept art is different from the screenshot and that look is different from the CG trailer look.

Pooya

looks cool but the city looks like is going to be free of civies still, another ghost town only with people who want to beat you up :\
currently snoozing through Origins, this better be different enough in combat and stealth encounters and everything, so tired of those after 3 games, they've not changed much at all. Assassin's Creed games are more diverse in comparison.... lol.
Batmobile alone can pull me back though...

Snake_eye

Neo Member
Am I the only one bugged about the handgun sound?

the handgun has a silencer right? am I seeing right? yet the AK shot sounds like a regular handgun

they wouldn't just forget that? tight?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I just noticed the shadow behind Batman at the 1:52 minute mark. Someone is interfering AK's litte party, but who is it? Robin? Nightwing? Gordon? It can't be from Bats or Arkham Knight cause the shadow is moving in the video.

2014-05-2213_58_02-of86ou3.png

also at the 0:50 mark who is the man who says “What’re you doing?” ?

Edit: Nvm, it's just a cop who says it.

2014-05-2214_21_16-bancsr8.png

the handgun has a silencer right? am I seeing right? yet the AK shot sounds like a regular handgun

The screen fades to black, Ak clearly doesn't kill Bats there, someone helps Batman, Ak doesn't pull the trigger. It's not Arkham Knights weapon sound we hear in that scene.

I really only believe there are two superheroes that look good with skin-tight / fabric-like outfits and those two are Wolverine and Spider-Man. Everyone else tends to look better armored in my eyes.

I really only believe there are two superheroes that look good with skin-tight / fabric-like outfits and those two are Wolverine and Spider-Man. Everyone else tends to look better armored in my eyes.

I think Superman would look dumb in armor, considering he's already the "man of steel"

Raptor

I think Superman would look dumb in armor, considering he's already the "man of steel"

Superheros like Superman, Thor etc would look dumb with armor I agree, but Batman a regular human being for most intelligent or more agile and whatever needs an armor, not exagerated but still, thats why I think this suit is the best of all, it combines Bruce knowledge with tech mantaining the aspect of inducing fear when seen.

jediyoshi

Bad CA > Bad HDR

Xux

In case this wasn't already posted, the guy who runs the "Batman Arkham Videos" YouTube channel (widely considered to be Batman himself, based on his ridiculously skillful play-throughs of this series) did an analysis of the trailer.
That individual is crazy; their 30 second predator room runs are nuts.
The One and Done™;113991970 said:
This would never translate to a video game. Also, that hardly looks imposing now that I'm an adult.
Yeah, not one with a realistic art style, at least. I'd pay a decent amount of money for a Walking Dead/Fable-style cartoon-y game mimicking, say, Trevor McCarthy or
best artist in comics
Dustin Nguyen with a pretty chiaroscuro lighting scheme and Arkham series-y gameplay
in the Fox Engine

Have you ever thought That its someone off screen shooting at the arkham knight to save batman. Like Gordon? They can't kill the bat

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Official facebook confirmed the voice in the trailer is from Scarecrow and NOT from Arkham Knight.

2014-05-3023_53_46-_aedu3p.png

Top Bottom