• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Danganronpa V3 Confirmed for 2016, Trailer Pics, Danganronpa 3 Anime (SPOILERS)

TP

This doesn't exclude later ports, but a DR3 connected to DR1&2 would have required DR1&2 hd before it release.

Required? no

not if it's a loose connection
even if it isn't there are other ways to get players up to speed

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Required? no

not if it's a loose connection
even if it isn't there are other ways to get players up to speed

To me even DR2 was barely connected to DR1, imo you could have enjoyed DR2 even without DR1, but to fully understand everything obviously you needed DR1.
If they wanted to do the same again then what's the point of the anime? They could have just made DR3 and stop.

This doesn't exclude later ports, but a DR3 connected to DR1&2 would have required DR1&2 hd before it release.

This is the same company who released a vita version of virtues last reward despite an obvious lack of 999 on Sony handhelds. Nothing is required.

TP

To me even DR2 was barely connected to DR1, imo you could have enjoyed DR2 even without DR1, but to fully understand everything obviously you needed DR1.
If they wanted to do the same again then what's the point of the anime? They could have just made DR3 and stop.

Not enough content for a 40 hour game? Because " it uses tricks that can only be done in anime"? I dunno, reasons.

If there was actually required reading we might have Zero in English by now

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is the same company who released a vita version of virtues last reward despite an obvious lack of 999 on Sony handhelds. Nothing is required.

I guess that confirms that there won't be DR1&2 hd :p

Just to be clear i'm a little pissed that DR3 won't have connections with DR1&2 and i'm really pissed that the ending of DR1&2 is relegated to an anime, so i assure you i'm not defending the developers, i'm just trying to explain what i think was their reasoning behind their decision.

DNAbro

bruh

FwfZgeS.png

That's so plausible it's ridiculous.

FluxWaveZ

With the announcement of Danganronpa 3, it is far more likely that V3 is an actual soft reboot of the franchise compared to the possibility that it will actually turn out to be heavily tied to the previous stories, featuring returning characters.

As GSR stated:
Kodaka spoke about how he was kind of burned out after the first two games and how it took writing the decidedly non-mystery DR:AE to get him ready to go back to mysteries again. I wouldn't be surprised if the sentiment amongst him/the team was that they wanted to go all-new if they were going to do another mystery game, which limited how they could wrap up the DR1/DR2 plots.

I didn't even think there was necessarily anything to tie up regarding the "Hope's Peak Academy" saga after DR2, so the anime is kind of a bonus. Ensuring that V3 is its own thing by wrapping everything else up through the anime is great, to me. Hopefully, the anime is actually good.

hiro looks hot

while anime isn't my preferred medium for closing out the original storyline, i'm glad to see they'll have some outlet for that while (hopefully) letting V3 stand on its own

Wary of the end of the Hopes Peak Saga. I liked the survivors from 1 and 2.
Was also hoping that the survivors of 2 could rehabilitate those who "died" in the sim, especially Mioda.
Was really hope for some sort of Avengers type team up with all survivors to take down Monokuma. With the Anime ending the Hopes Peak Saga I now worry that all the characters I've grown to love are going to get killed off. Damn this thread for filling me with despair.

YES. YES. YES.

Woah, a lies mechanic?

I thought it will be similiar to Ace Attorney's Psyche-Locks, but it's for class trials huh. I wonder how the puzzle is implemented :x

This, Persona 5, Zero Escape 3, Root Letter, and I'm planning to play Steins;Gate next year... What a year!

The game is described as Psycho cool... Maybe the characters will be battling for Junko'a succession?

Also, keeping up with the ahoge main character! He reminds me of a Genos Nagito mix.

GoldStarz

I'm curious as to why there's a hotel featured in DR3 if the setting is in a new school.

Also super-hyped for the DR3 anime!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I guess that confirms that there won't be DR1&2 hd :p

Just to be clear i'm a little pissed that DR3 won't have connections with DR1&2 and i'm really pissed that the ending of DR1&2 is relegated to an anime, so i assure you i'm not defending the developers, i'm just trying to explain what i think was their reasoning behind their decision.

Personal theory: I'm guessing the designers wanted to build this new game around the aforementioned lying mechanic, but decided that mechanic was incompatible with the current cast/story etc and decided to make a clean break to facilitate this idea.

The anime largely feels like a "We'd like to apologize for doing what we want with the sequel rather than what you, the fans, likely wanted. Here's a peace offering," sort of gesture.

2016 is the year of Mind Fuckery..
Zero escape 3, DR, and phoenix wright. Wow

Well of course Zero Escape will be the most confusing of all.

Yomidi

I don't really like that they're ending the Hope's Peak saga with the anime. I would have liked a proper conclusion in game form...
Still excited for more Danganronpa tho.

BTA

I'm excited, but worried that any bait and switch is going to unintentionally screw over Western fans. Like, if both the game and series hit around the same time and they both twist to tie into each other, it'd be... well, pretty neat, actually, but probably spoiler filled as someone who'll only be able to watch the show.

EDIT: Y'know, if they're a robot, that's more of a way of getting
Monaca
involved than it would be for
Junko

DaBoss

I really like how Kodaka is willing to change genres and even the medium to continue the story of Danganronpa so that it will be presented better. Excited to see what they're doing with the anime and this new game.

GoldStarz

I'm excited, but worried that any bait and switch is going to unintentionally screw over Western fans. Like, if both the game and series hit around the same time and they both twist to tie into each other, it'd be... well, pretty neat, actually, but probably spoiler filled as someone who'll only be able to watch the show.
There are YouTubers who put up silent Let's Plays of DR games when they come out, so that's not too much of an issue.

I doubt there's going to be any bait and switch, they've said that DR v3 is a completely new chapter and a good starting point for new players. I very much doubt that v3 will have heavy ties with any other DR media.

The anime largely feels like a "We'd like to apologize for doing what we want with the sequel rather than what you, the fans, likely wanted. Here's a peace offering," sort of gesture.

Changing format entirely for the conclusion actually seems worse to me than just releasing the new game and having it turn out to be entirely separate from the existing world.

DaBoss

lmao they just skipped the DR2 anime
I'm hyped tho
It's not skipped though.

DR3 is literally this anime. DR2 will likely get an anime adaptation later.

NDR3 (New Danganronpa 3) is a game which seems to be separate from the anime entirely.

kewlmyc

Having DR1, DR2, and presumably AE tie into an anime finale, while DR2 was never made into an anime is kinda odd. It really limits who's going to be able to watch/appreciate it.

I know the creator mentioned that he wanted to try different avenues to tell the DR story, but I didn't think he would have the ending of the trilogy be a totally different piece of media. It's like if Mass Effect 3 was just a comic book or something.

Looking forward to New Danganronpa 3 however.

So this is pretty interesting.

It really seems like the new game will be a completely new start, which is very interesting. Looking forward to that.

And the anime conclusion of the original storyline is a bit different, but it could potentially be interesting (although Kishi will certainly find some way to fuck it up).

omlet

Having just finished DR2 a couple weeks ago, I'm definitely interested to see how they wrap the story line up

100% cool with this news. I'll be just fine if the new game does end up being a reboot- it should give the team some freedom to shake things up a bit, which would be pretty exciting. Hopefully the anime will be better than the DR1 series (thanks to it not being an adaption this time around). I'm glad we're getting some closure to the original storyline.

GoldStarz

And the anime conclusion of the original storyline is a bit different, but it could potentially be interesting (although Kishi will certainly find some way to fuck it up).

Well, you sure are optimistic.

Anyway, even if it's just silhouettes, the new characters look pretty cool, I wonder what's going on with the small guy and the witch hat girl.

FluxWaveZ

It's not skipped though.

DR3 is literally this anime. DR2 will likely get an anime adaptation later.

I doubt there will be a Danganronpa 2 anime adaptation anytime soon, if not ever. That trailer already goofs on that possibility with the "2" shattering into Danganronpa 3. And Kodaka has stated he doesn't think a DR2 anime would work.

Top Bottom