• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Danganronpa V3 Confirmed for 2016, Trailer Pics, Danganronpa 3 Anime (SPOILERS)

Of course we get trailers just after I leave
Main cyborg guy is kinda a weird choice and I didn't expect the hope's peak story to end with an anime. Regardless. I'm looking forward for more info.

So when it say that they'll be wrapping up the Hope's Peak Academy saga, do you think that'll include Fukawa and Komaru as well?

Ah yes. The Fukawa crew ( Fukawa / Genocider, Komaru and Togami ) are all missing.
Kinda hope they at least have a small role in the anime.

Noooooo, don't kill off Hiro. Please. I spent practically the whole second half of the first game dreading his (seemingly) impending death, only for it to never happen. Murder someone that isn't my favourite character!

I feel like one of the DR1 survivors has to die in DR3. I think it'd be a pretty gutsy move if they did it, especially if it's Kirigiri or Togami. I also just think having Kirigiri and Asahina team up makes sense cause of their character traits. Smart, aloof cool detective girl, and the kinda airhead-y athletic girl. Lot's of potential anime hijinks. In a "Naegi is under suspicion or blame" scenario, I think Togami and Fukawa would somehow be tied up in bureaucratic non-sense. Besides, I think we already know the Future Foundation views Naegi's group a lot differently because of the crazy end of SDR2. The Hope's Peak storyline has to end with some drastic change to Future Foundation, whether its reformation or it just being destroyed from the inside, possibly by Naegi's group

I just hope DR3 (SDR2 SPOILERS)
will explain the bullshit at the end of SDR2- how Hinata stayed Hinata. Having a sad ending would be so much better.

Edit:

Is there an ENG subbed version of the DR3 trailer? (Not V3)

This makes sense.

Hell look at ZE3, it got a NA confirmation immediately.
ZTD is on another level, it was made FOR Western fans. That's why it will initially be released in English.

I'd agree that V3 will get a quick translation but ZE3 isn't an accurate comparison.

ZTD is on another level, it was made FOR Western fans. That's why it will initially be released in English.

I'd agree that V3 will get a quick translation but ZE3 isn't an accurate comparison.

Do we actually know how well 999/VLR did in the west in comparison to Danganronpa?

Do we actually know how well 999/VLR did in the west in comparison to Danganronpa?

Not in comparison with DR, no, not to my knowledge. However, 999 in the West has been described as a "sleeper hit" by Aksys IIRC, and I think Akselizys (Aksys employee) on GAF said that it sold very well. (they gave faces from happy to sad and VLR's sales were described with the happiest face)

Danganronpa 1&2 sold 200K in the West.

bruh

FwfZgeS.png
That sounds like something the creator of 999 would write.

I'd honestly be surprised if there was ZERO connection to the rest of the series. It could take place 400 years in the future on some school space station or something, but there would still be 1 or 2 mentions of a past killing game or rebuilding society.

I mean, I wouldn't be surprised at all if there are some nods and slight references, but I don't think it's going to be as heavily reliant as we all first assumed at the initial announcement of V3. Especially if they're opening the series up to PS4 players. I don't think anybody here is saying they'll completely drop everything up to this point, just that they're moving the series to a point where it won't be as reliant on the previous stuff. If there are references or connections, I would assume they wouldn't be as intrusive. For instance, you might enjoy 2 & AE on their own, but if you didn't play the preceding game(s), you'd be left in the dark on some things and wouldn't appreciate the story nearly as much.

I also wouldn't be surprised if 3 drops hints or sets up some things for V3, although they haven't said that they will have any connection.

Dugna

Kinda disappointed in the choice to end the Hope's Peak Saga in a anime but owell, I just sorta want to see the the DR2 cast grown up.

I've been going over it in my head and I'm still baffled that they're ending a story that started as 3 games as an anime instead of another game. I mean, they still make the games but not for the conclusion of this arc? I'm trying to figure out the rational as this could cause a lot of brand confusion.

Random thoughts/ideas:

- Maybe the designers were so hellbent on leaving Hope's Peak/Future Foundation's characters behind they handed it off to an anime studio to finish? (Unlikely)
- Maybe they didn't want to design a game with adult protagonists? (Reaching...)
- Maybe they think an anime of the old arc would be a better promotional for the new game than a game? (Eh...)
- Maybe they wrote the story and decided there just wasn't enough material for a full game? (Slightly more plausible)
- Maybe they wrote the story and decided they couldn't fit it into either the Class Trial or TPS genre (my personal guess.)

But who knows really. Not enough input.

I think the first and last ones are the most likely answers- either they decided they didn't want the new game to be tied to the existing continuity at all but felt like they still had to tie up all the loose ends or they decided how they wanted the existing story to resolve and realized there was no way they could make it work as a "standard" Danganronpa game.

FluxWaveZ

Yep. Calling the anime Danganronpa 3 is so stupid when a Danganronpa 2 anime doesn't even exist. It hardly makes any sense.

What? How are people this confused?

Danganronpa 1 (game) = Danganronpa 1 story
Danganronpa 1 (anime) = Adaptation of Danganronpa 1 story
Danganronpa 2 (game) = Danganronpa 2 story
Danganronpa 3 (anime) = Danganronpa 3 story

The numbers indicate that the stories follow each other in a successive timeline. The new anime is not called "Danganronpa 2" because it is not an adaptation of the Danganronpa 2 story.

Are brains being fried because people can't comprehend how a story can be expanded upon in another medium? Does Danganronpa 0 also confuse you because it's a novel, so it's hard to understand that it's the prequel of a game?

Dugna

Are brains being fried because people can't comprehend how a story can be expanded upon in another medium? Does Danganronpa 0 also confuse you because it's a novel, so it's hard to understand that it's the prequel of a game?

Actually some kinda think thats a side game or a story inside a game somewhere, not a novel. But it being a prequel isn't hard to understand I agree.

The numbers indicate that the stories follow each other in a successive timeline. The new anime is not called "Danganronpa 2" because it is not an adaptation of the Danganronpa 2 story.

I'm not confused, that doesn't make it any less stupid and potentially confusing for others.

FluxWaveZ

I'm not confused, that doesn't make it any less stupid and potentially confusing for others.

It's extremely straightforward. Like, the most straightforward thing they could have done.

What would your less confusing solution be to signify that this anime is the direct continuation of the DR1 and DR2 story arc?

mdubs

Banned
I feel good about this, don't particularly care for the actual overarching storyline (I liked the story in 2 much better than 1, don't really care about all the Future Foundation nonsense) I just want a new set of kids forced on trial and see their story, so I'm really looking forward to V3 based on everything I've seen

The only reason I don't agree is because there's a third mainline entry being made alongside the anime. Either the anime could have a non-numbered subtitle or the new game could, but both have 3 in the title. V3 doesn't scream "reboot" to me either.

There's definitely potential for confusion there for those not in the know like us.

It's extremely straightforward. Like, the most straightforward thing they could have done.

What would your less confusing solution be to signify that this anime is the direct continuation of the DR1 and DR2 story arc?

I would have made sure a Danganronpa 2 anime existed before moving onto a part 3. Not everyone is into both anime and videogames.

FluxWaveZ

The only reason I don't agree is because there's a third mainline entry being made alongside the anime. Either the anime could have a non-numbered subtitle or the new game could, but both have 3 in the title. V3 doesn't scream "reboot" to me either.

There's definitely potential for confusion there for those not in the know like us.

I agree with that, but realistically, we know that wouldn't have been a great solution. DR3 has to be called that way because it's the conclusion to everything in the HPA saga up to this point.

V3 needs to be called that way because it's the third game in the mainline series, and presumably is going to still take place in the same universe along the same timeline.

It's not that complicated. It's like saying that people would be so confused about when Danganronpa: Another Episode takes place in the timeline because there are no numbers in the title, but just reading a quick official summary and they know what's up.

I would have made sure a Danganronpa 2 anime existed before moving onto a part 3. Not everyone is into both anime and videogames.

That's a terrible solution, because they didn't want to make a Danganronpa 2 anime, and many fans of the series clearly didn't care to see one after the negative reception of the first anime.

If people are fans of the games and not fans of the anime, then so what? They very likely won't need to see DR3 to get into V3. If people are fans of anime and not of the games? So what? This is a video game series; deal with it. It's like saying there should be a Danganronpa: Another Episode anime before DR3 for the same reasons. That's absurd.

Drago

Noooooo, don't kill off Hiro. Please. I spent practically the whole second half of the first game dreading his (seemingly) impending death, only for it to never happen. Murder someone that isn't my favourite character!
Are you me?

Yeah I'll be bummed if he actually dies (you and me will prob be the only ones though). Filled with despair, you might say.

Though hasn't Kodaka stated that characters who live through a mutual killing game won't be killed in future works, or am I making that up? But even if he did say that he could always change his mind...

Squire

Banned

Honestly? That's really just too bad. The people playing the DR games are Spike's concern, not the ones that are basically just flirting with the franchise. If you're only interaction with the brand is through a bad anime series, you're probably not really a blip on Spike's radar.

For those playing the games, the current situation really isn't that complicated and if it is, the explanation makes complete sense.

GSR

Interesting bits at the end of the anime trailer:

"So, Naegi.. the fate of humanity is riding on this next round of 'mutual killing'."

"This time, it'll be the final battle between you and me!"

The language used in these (plus the background) suggests it's Monokuma speaking, though the "boku" in the latter means there's an outside chance it's
Nagito

Oh, duh, now I know why that last line made me think
Nagito
. It uses "kimi" as the second-person pronoun, whereas Monokuma almost always uses "omae". So yeah, more likely him.

Drago

Nagito
. It uses "kimi" as the second-person pronoun, whereas Monokuma almost always uses "omae". So yeah, more likely him.
Ah shit.

I guess that means that at least some comatose DR2 characters will be waking up. Unless only Nagito wakes up, Ultimate Luck and all. Either way I get more Nagito so I'm happy. >:)

(If it's actually him, anyway)

I agree with that, but realistically, we know that wouldn't have been a great solution. DR3 has to be called that way because it's the conclusion to everything in the HPA saga up to this point.

V3 needs to be called that way because it's the third game in the mainline series, and presumably is going to still take place in the same universe along the same timeline.

It's not that complicated. It's like saying that people would be so confused about when Danganronpa: Another Episode takes place in the timeline because there are no numbers in the title, but just reading a quick official summary and they know what's up.

It is a little confusing. Not necessarily to die hard fans, but I can see a lot of confusion from the more casual fans cropping up due to this.

They could have very easily called the anime something other than Danganronpa 3, that still signified the end of the Hope's Peak story line.

FluxWaveZ

It is a little confusing. Not necessarily to die hard fans, but I can see a lot of confusion from the more casual fans cropping up due to this.

They could have very easily called the anime something other than Danganronpa 3, that still signified the end of the Hope's Peak story line.

Yeah, but that's why I used the example of Danganronpa: Another Episode as to how casual fans could quickly learn what's going on by just reading the official premise. It's a bit confusing at first—there were a lot of questions as to when DR:AE took place when it was coming out—but a quick check tells you what you need to know. My point is it's not confusing to the point of being problematic.

Thinking again, though, I guess they could have gone with a "Danganronpa: [Subtitle]" route for the anime, but there is something to be said about simply calling it Danganronpa 3. The confusion here really should stem from what V3 is for the casual audience, while it's really hard for me to imagine that someone doesn't know what "Danganronpa 3" means, and what it is is what the anime purports to be.

GSR

Nagito

And because I enjoy second-guessing myself, it's also possible that it's just Naegi saying the line. I double-checked DR1 and he uses "kimi" as well. So, basically, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sevyne

This would have been the better option.

I disagree. As much as I dislike that that story is wrapping up in an anime, I feel it's perfectly fitting for it to have the 3 in it. What makes no sense to me is why does the new game have v3 in it? It's a new story in the series pretty much. Just call it New Danganronpa or something. The v3 serves no purpose.

If they knew in any way that they'd make more than one game, I'd say the best would have been to not number the previous games at all, and have just different subtitles attached to them. Then the new game could have been Danganronpa 2 and started a new Trilogy or however many games they plan for this story. Kind of how Corpse Party did.

No matter, still excited for both, but the titling seems a little sloppy.

FluxWaveZ

What makes no sense to me is why does the new game have v3 in it? It's a new story in the series pretty much. Just call it New Danganronpa or something, or give that game the subtitle.

Because, unlike Another Episode, V3 is not a spin-off. It's a mainline title, following Danganronpa 2 and probably taking place after it on the same timeline.

The game would get less attention and people would probably be similarly confused to how they apparently are now if V3 was actually "Danganronpa: [Subtitle]." In terms of marketing, it's simply a better decision to have the 3 in there but, in order to differentiate it from its predecessors, they added the "V" and explicitly titled it "NEW Danganronpa V3: A NEW Semester for Everyone's Killing Life" to really make it clear that "Yo, this is new."

I personally think that it's preferable to have 3 in the mainline series, and the mainline series only. However, I believe that until we play / watch both of them and see the relationship between 3,V3 and the original trilogy we can't really comment much on it- the content of the games could drastically change our opinion on the naming.

Sevyne

Because, unlike Another Episode, V3 is not a spin-off. It's a mainline title, following Danganronpa 2 and probably taking place after it on the same timeline.

The game would get less attention and people would probably be similarly confused to how they apparently are now if V3 was actually "Danganronpa: [Subtitle]." In terms of marketing, it's simply a better decision to have the 3 in there but, in order to differentiate it from its predecessors, they added the "V" and explicitly titled it "NEW Danganronpa V3: A NEW Semester for Everyone's Killing Life" to really make it clear that "Yo, this is new."

Well its a tricky situation for sure. Like I said in my edit, the most elegant solution would have been to pull a Corpse Party for doing the titles, but that would have required them to have plans for these games from the very start really.

You make a fair enough point though.

Drago

I wonder if all future Danganronpa games are gonna have a V before the number now. Let's say when they make a Danganronpa 4, is that the sequel to DR3 the anime or DRV3 the game?

Sure the actual content will make that obvious (we already know DR3 is the end to the Hope's Peak story and most likely won't have sequels) but it will be odd going from 1 to 2 to V3 to 4. Not a big deal though.

FluxWaveZ

I wonder if all future Danganronpa games are gonna have a V before the number now. Let's say when they make a Danganronpa 4, is that the sequel to DR3 the anime or DRV3 the game?

Sure the actual content will make that obvious (we already know DR3 is the end to the Hope's Peak story) but it will be odd going from 1 to 2 to V3 to 4. Not a big deal though.

I don't think the V3 and DR3 distinction is a big deal, but I do think it would start to get bad if a next game was actually "DR4." First thing that would come to mind is that it's a continuation of the anime (saying this without knowing the connections between DR3 and V3, of course).

If V3 is the start of a new saga, I would expect a sequel to be called "V4."

Top Bottom