• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Danganronpa V3 Confirmed for 2016, Trailer Pics, Danganronpa 3 Anime (SPOILERS)

Choomp

Banned
Nah, its implied he
was cannibalistic

This is what the characters of DR2 did:

Mikan: took Junko's ovaries
Kuyruzu - replaced his eye with hers
Nagito - the hand
Akane - starved herself
Soda - mass murderer (shown in DR2 with an automatic weapon)
Sonia - gave her parents to be experimented on
Teruteru - cooked up people
Mioda - mass suicide influenced by her music

I don't know about Nidai, Gundham or Mahiru though. We didn't get clues for them.

Wow ok what? What did I miss

kewlmyc

I really hope they go with 3D models, but I doubt it. Actually, it's pretty much confirmed they won't, so nevermind.

Because, unlike Another Episode, V3 is not a spin-off. It's a mainline title, following Danganronpa 2 and probably taking place after it on the same timeline.

The game would get less attention and people would probably be similarly confused to how they apparently are now if V3 was actually "Danganronpa: [Subtitle]." In terms of marketing, it's simply a better decision to have the 3 in there but, in order to differentiate it from its predecessors, they added the "V" and explicitly titled it "NEW Danganronpa V3: A NEW Semester for Everyone's Killing Life" to really make it clear that "Yo, this is new."

I don't think V3 is a title that truly implies mainline game. If I didn't know better, I would think it was a spin-off. It's the kind of nonsense naming sense that Kingdom Hearts has fallen into and left everyone confused. We're obviously not at that point yet, but anything that has the potential for brand confusion is a bad idea.

So are you guys going PS4 or Vita on this?

I'm thinking Vita seeing that's where 1 and 2 are, and I prefer this style on game with lots of reading on a handheld.

Drago

I'm thinking Vita seeing that's where 1 and 2 are, and I prefer this style on game with lots of reading on a handheld.
Sticking with Vita as that's where the rest of the series is. Plus I prefer playing things on handhelds when possible, especially when lots of reading is involved.

There is a strange allure to playing this game on a PS4 though... can't quite explain it.
i don't even have a PS4 yet

GoldStarz

Waiting to see if PS4 has anything special over the Vita version, if not I'll buy the Vita version since it's portable and the other games were on there.

Probably PS4 so I won't need to use an unstable HDMI splitter to capture footage.

With how much I love this franchise, I might end up double dipping.

Dominator

I'm double dipping for sure. Like to support where I can, this is one of my favorite series.

Can't for this. Like others said, I wish they didn't wrap up the initial storyline in an anime but I'll take it. I'm sure the new game will be connected somehow.

I'm planning on getting both versions, and I'll probably try playing it on the PS4. Although, I do love playing VNs on the vita, and that's where I played the first 3 games. I'll probably decide which version to play closer to the release date, but like I said, I'm leaning PS4 for now.

Alkolto

Neo Member
I just wanted to say that I've seen some people talking about a lying mechanic in this thread and I'm not entirely sure where that's even coming from? From the trailer it seems clear that the theme for this new arc will be lies rather than despair. However, nothing really implies that you as the player will be lying. It's not like in the previous games that despair was worked into a game mechanic of some sort.

FluxWaveZ

I just wanted to say that I've seen some people talking about a lying mechanic in this thread and I'm not entirely sure where that's even coming from? From the trailer it seems clear that the theme for this new arc will be lies rather than despair. However, nothing really implies that you as the player will be lying. It's not like in the previous games that despair was worked into a game mechanic of some sort.

Also, DRV3 will focus on 'lies' and the trailer ends by asking if you can make use of them. Aims to take place in a "super/psycho-cool" school this time. (They write サイコクール, where サイコ is nearly 最高, but is also just "psycho".)

Famitsu goes a bit further on the "lies" thing in their article and says the trials this time will rely on lying to take down your opponent's arguments. One of the screens has someone accusing someone else of bluffing, so I guess we've got our new strategy to go along with contradicting and supporting evidence...!

(This could actually be a really cool addition if done right.)

Alkolto

Neo Member
I haven't gotten my hands on the famitsu yet as I'm out of the country. But I'm pretty sure that's not what the says? Granted, my Japanese isn't the best as I've only been in Japan for a few years, but I'm pretty sure the end of the trailer ends with something along the lines of "In a world built on lies, can you be lied to?". There's a particle in the last sentence that implies that the lie is directed at the reader, not used by them.

FluxWaveZ

I haven't gotten my hands on the famitsu yet as I'm out of the country. But I'm pretty sure that's not what the says? Granted, my Japanese isn't the best as I've only been in Japan for a few years, but I'm pretty sure the end of the trailer ends with something along the lines of "In a world built on lies, can you be lied to?". There's a particle in the last sentence that implies that the lie is directed at the reader, not used by them.

Gematsu states this:
Like games in the series before it, it will consist of exploration parts and Class Trials. During exploration parts, you’ll talk with various characters. And during Class Trials, you’ll use your own “lies” to defeat opponents.

Yuck at Danganronpa 3. Two of my favorite games ever's story being wrapped up in an anime? I mean, you can say and Kadokawa can say DR reached a dead end with the current story and the Monokuma killing game set up, but I thought the exact same thing going into Danganronpa 2 and that game is top 5 for me.

Two thumbs way up for V3 though. A fresh world sounds awesome and I didn't know I wanted it until I realized I was getting it.

GSR

No, I don't think that's quite right. The sentence in question is オマエに嘘が使えるか?

使える is the potential form of 使う, to use. Xに(Yが)potential = X can do the verb in question (with Y). So it's asking "can you use lies?", maybe with a bit of a "will you be able to?" (in a 'do you have the skill/nerve' sense.)

It's late and my brain's futzing on the exact construction of "can you be lied to", but it would be closer to オマエが嘘を吐かれるか? (passive form of a different verb.)

GoldStarz

It it just me, or is the design on the non-protag dude's t-shirt similar to Komaeda's t-shirt?

I've seen people doing a side-by-side comparison and yeah, the designs are very similar. Not quite the same though and Purple Dude's shirt forms a more coherent shape which is that of an eye.

I've seen people doing a side-by-side comparison and yeah, the designs are very similar. Not quite the same though and Purple Dude's shirt forms a more coherent shape which is that of an eye.

I think it's Eye of Horus, no? I believe it symbolises the moon, protection, and wisdom. (according to Wikipedia: symbol of "protection, royal power and good health"

Inb4 Mr. Purple is Sonia's grandson, or something

Not the case but it would be interesting if you were the murderer (at least in some cases) and had to stage others for it. Of course this would probably be a bit too dark unless it was stated right at the beginning that everyone involved was a total asshole. Of course the rules of Class Trial would have to change a bit.

I hope that the (DR1&2 spoilers)
crazy Chapter 5 bullshit this time around is the MC trying to get away with murder (probably failing with a first-person view execution, and us playing as someone else in the rest of the game, a la DR2 CH4. How else can they top DR2's Chapter 5?
Well at least it's likely that CH6 will be better: without Junko, "World ended, no questions" or "Hinata wakes up with power of will and takes over Izuru's body" bullshit, Kodaka has a chance to un-fuck the meta mystery of the previous games. Yes, I'm aware there's a time skip. Yes, I read DR0. No, haven't played AE. Find the overall plot to be a bit nonsensical though, I'd love a Danganronpa that takes itself more seriously- shit has the potential to get EVEN DARKER, and maybe V3 will achieve that- it has the darker aesthetic, at least. I want a Danganronpa as dark as it can get, and with Monokuma in the cast you can't be too serious anyways. The wacky conversations with Monomi were fine, but I'd rather not see that return. It will probably never happen though, given its wackiness is one of Danganronpa's main points. (I want stuff on the tone of Monokuma laughing as Sayaka breaks down after viewing the "find out after graduation" video in DR1 CH1).

FluxWaveZ

Not the case but it would be interesting if you were the murderer (at least in some cases) and had to stage others for it. Of course this would probably be a bit too dark unless it was stated right at the beginning that everyone involved was a total asshole. Of course the rules of Class Trial would have to change a bit.

Something that I think is really important to take note of and that I haven't seen many people discuss:

The name of the academy this time is "Saishuu Academy." Or, as Gematsu translates it, “Gifted Inmates Academy.”

GSR stated:
Also, from one of the Famitsu screens: the school this time is Saishuu Academy (才囚 = kanji from "talent" and "prisoner".)
Oh, one more thing about the setting: the school is enclosed in a giant cage/cell (the kanji could go either way). So it's got that going for it.

PK Gaming

phoenix-thinking(a).gif

Prisoner school huh...

2016 is going to be an interesting year for high school students.

Something that I think is really important to take note of and that I haven't seen many people discuss:

The name of the academy this time is "Saishuu Academy." Or, as Gematsu translates it, “Gifted Inmates Academy.”

GSR stated:

That's like the converse of Ultimates.
Love it.
Could this mean
that the main antagonist this time is on hope's side?

I think it's Eye of Horus, no? I believe it symbolises the moon, protection, and wisdom. (according to Wikipedia: symbol of "protection, royal power and good health"

Inb4 Mr. Purple is Sonia's grandson, or something

crazy Chapter 5 bullshit this time around is the MC trying to get away with murder (probably failing with a first-person view execution, and us playing as someone else in the rest of the game, a la DR2 CH4. How else can they top DR2's Chapter 5?
Well at least it's likely that CH6 will be better: without Junko, "World ended, no questions" or "Hinata wakes up with power of will and takes over Izuru's body" bullshit, Kodaka has a chance to un-fuck the meta mystery of the previous games. Yes, I'm aware there's a time skip. Yes, I read DR0. No, haven't played AE. Find the overall plot to be a bit nonsensical though, I'd love a Danganronpa that takes itself more seriously- shit has the potential to get EVEN DARKER, and maybe V3 will achieve that- it has the darker aesthetic, at least. I want a Danganronpa as dark as it can get, and with Monokuma in the cast you can't be too serious anyways. The wacky conversations with Monomi were fine, but I'd rather not see that return. It will probably never happen though, given its wackiness is one of Danganronpa's main points. (I want stuff on the tone of Monokuma laughing as Sayaka breaks down after viewing the "find out after graduation" video in DR1 CH1).

There's never not going to be humor in the series. They flat out said it and the outlandish character designs are there to prevent things from being too bleak.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Did they make an anime for the second game? I never finished it, so it would be nice to see which one was the mastermind this time around.

There's never not going to be humor in the series. They flat out said it and the outlandish character designs are there to prevent things from being too bleak.

I accepted that but I still think Danganronpa can, and should, get darker. Think of all the despair!

(at least more violent murders, twisted motives, Monokuma being scary, etc.)

I accepted that but I still think Danganronpa can, and should, get darker. Think of all the despair!

I hope so the darker the better with monokuma taunting you and laughing like no tomorrow.

FluxWaveZ

You should play Danganronpa: Another Episode. That's the darkest Danganronpa game. I don't necessarily need to see the series continue in that direction after that.

GSR stated:

Would be interesting if we get something like Ultimate Arsonist, Ultimate Thief ect. Maybe even someone from the Kuzuryu family or Mondo's gang.

I'd be totally open to them going with their original vision of Distrust, but I think the tone of the series is too established to do that now. It would need to be it's own thing or a spin-off series ala Persona to SMT.

Paltheos

I don't know how they can top 2-5. My gut... is telling me it's not impossible, but man. It made the preposterous immediately reasonable and the course tough in a way very few things do (It tricked me in an uncheap way, I'm saying). And it did all in a way that's so Danganronpa. "Of course! Dammit!" YMMV I suppose since some people apparently saw through the whole thing but I loved it.

FluxWaveZ

I don't know how they can top 2-5. My gut... is telling me it's not impossible, but man. It made the preposterous immediately reasonable and the course tough in a way very few things do (It tricked me in an uncheap way, I'm saying). And it did all in a way that's so Danganronpa. "Of course! Dammit!" YMMV I suppose since some people apparently saw through the whole thing but I loved it.

For starters, they need to establish a character that is as great as
Nagito Komaeda
, since it's the buildup and arc of that character that was at the core of that case.

I hope so the darker the better with monokuma taunting you and laughing like no tomorrow.

The best moment of the anime is when (DR1 CH1)
Sayaka breaks down in terror after seeing the "what happened to the band, they won't ever play on stage ever again" video, runs out of the AV room, and Monokuma's laughing like crazy in the background. That was the perfect tone that I want.

You should play Danganronpa: Another Episode. That's the darkest Danganronpa game. I don't necessarily need to see the series continue in that direction after that.

I'm 16, so no disposable income. Waiting for a sale (preferably around $20-25) on PSN (also watched a bit of it on YouTube, and I'm not too big on it, very surprising considering it's a canon DR game). Saving up currently.

I'd be totally open to them going with their original vision of Distrust, but I think the tone of the series is too established to do that now. It would need to be it's own thing or a spin-off series ala Persona to SMT.

The only thing I don't like about that one video footage of DISTRUST (DR1 CH1 spoilers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_W_3w_sfoI) is the Nonstop Debate UI (weak point in text box). Everything else feels superior to what we got IMHO, but still love the new designs.

The best moment of the anime is when (DR1 CH1)
Sayaka breaks down in terror after seeing the "what happened to the band, they won't ever play on stage ever again" video, runs out of the AV room, and Monokuma's laughing like crazy in the background. That was the perfect tone that I want.

I'm 16, so no disposable income. Waiting for a sale (preferably around $20-25) on PSN (also watched a bit of it on YouTube, and I'm not too big on it, very surprising considering it's a canon DR game). Saving up currently.

DR games always going on sale for Xmas each year, i think its a safe bet to expect a sale for AE. Currently waiting for xmas looking out for a sale.

and yes monokuma laughing at that particular moment was so cold it was actually good.

Awesome. Just beat the 1st game yesterday. Can't wait to play part 2 and the announcement for 3 is super exciting. And on Vita to boot!

Kinda unrelated but how does the anime fit with the games in terms of continuity? Should I beat the 2 games before watching the anime? Do they continue the story from the games or are they just a retelling of the same exact plot the games have?

Awesome. Just beat the 1st game yesterday. Can't wait to play part 2 and the announcement for 3 is super exciting. And on Vita to boot!

Kinda unrelated but how does the anime fit with the games in terms of continuity? Should I beat the 2 games before watching the anime? Do they continue the story from the games or are they just a retelling of the same exact plot the games have?

Beat 2, don't worry about the anime for now.

Rich!

Why the hell are you in this thread

Get out, don't come back until you've beaten 2! Don't get spoiled!

The anime that was announced yesterday -DR3: The End Of Hope's Peak Academy- is a direct sequel to DR1, DR2, and more than likely AE. It'll be an anime-only, original (as in, not an adaptation) story.

New DRV3 (the game) will seemingly be 99% unrelated to the original three games.

The first game also has an anime adaptation -Danganronpa The Animation- which was rushed to the point where investigation sections are 5 minute (max) montages and all trials except the last last a single episode. It's the proverbial Wikipedia summary, it's utter shit. The only thing to come out of it is 1-2 tense scenes and Danganronpa Abridged Thing.

Top Bottom