• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dead or Alive 5 footage. (Update 2: Releasing Worldwide In September)

fernoca

Interesting..
y6h9x.png

Maybe someone else can check around and see if this is official or a fanart. The articles doesn't mention anything about her.

Terrell

Team Ninja is really on fire. First DoA purchase ever (I refused to buy Team Ninja games in the past, due to Itagaki) and it feels like I waited for the best one.

TreIII

This looks awesome. Comes out in September, eh? Fairly close to the supposed release date for Tekken Tag 2.

Last I heard, TTT2 was planned for somewhere closer to the end of the year (Holiday Season 2012). If that sticks, DOA2 should have some breathing room from its nearest competitor, while also hopefully not getting lost in the holiday shuffle.

Alx

I can't wait to use Akira against everyone on DOA5.

I think Akira will have a hard time against ninjas and their mobility/teleportation. His powerful attacks used to be difficult to dodge in VF, but when it's done he's open to heavy counters. It could happen much more often against characters able to jump 3 meters over his head.

Galdelico

At this stage, I hope Team Ninja won't leave out a Tag Team mode, Kokoro and some nice alternate Akira-esque clothes for her. :D

BadWolf

Any good high level DOA matches you guys can link to? Would really like to see how the combat flows when firing on all cylinders.

Galdelico

Amazing how great a series can suddenly look without Itagaki running it.
Just speaking for myself here: I always loved DoA, and never really got into all the hate against the franchise, especially related to Itagaki. Honestly, I didn't even completely understand it.

I love this new direction, but not because evil Itagaki's gone: it looks fresh, I like it and that's all.

Skilletor

Just speaking for myself here: I always loved DoA, and never really got into all the hate against the franchise, especially related to Itagaki. Honestly, I didn't even completely understand it.

I love this new direction, but not because evil Itagaki's gone: it looks fresh, I like it and that's all.

Itagaki took everything that made DoA3 a good game and removed it from DoA4. It was the worst entry in the series and I'm glad Itagaki and his gambling game design is gone.

From the looks of it, DoA5 is shaping up to be great. Can't wait to play it next week :D

Skilletor

I really hope they can maintain 60fps. All of these amazing graphics are going to mean jack shit if it can't keep a steady framerate.

MjFrancis

Everything that I've seen and heard of DOA5 so far has been extremely promising. I've been giddy as a school girl since I've been such a fan of the series and it's great to see that Hayashi has been taking care of it quite well. Visually it's hard to believe this is on the same hardware as DOA4. Game mechanic advances like counter damage nerfing and the return of the (useful)freestep are fantastic to hear, too. I've been pouring over every piece of media and speculation that I've been able to get my hands on and all signs point to a return to form with major improvements on all fronts.

So, I've been playing DOA4 with fervor and fury to tie myself over until the Premium demo hits on March 20th. Enough lashings from Alpha-152 and my wife suggested a take a break from the game yesterday. I'll pick it right back up today - I'm ridiculously rusty given my experience with DOA2U, DOA3 and DOA4. It's just that I played DOA4 for a good bit after I got it and it's been gathering dust until lately; I figure my hiatus from the series was something like five years.

Galdelico

Itagaki took everything that made DoA3 a good game and removed it from DoA4. It was the worst entry in the series and I'm glad Itagaki and his gambling game design is gone.

From the looks of it, DoA5 is shaping up to be great. Can't wait to play it next week :D
I didn't play DoA4 that much, but yeah I didn't enjoy it as much as I did DoA2 and DoA3. Having said that, I'm pretty sure the whole Itagaki 'issue' started way bedore DoA4...

My competitive mindset (and skill level as well :p) has gone since a long time now, so I'm not even updated with pro players general opinion but... Is it possibile I found the recent Dimensions fairly good on the whole? :)

Trojan X

Banned
I think Akira will have a hard time against ninjas and their mobility/teleportation. His powerful attacks used to be difficult to dodge in VF, but when it's done he's open to heavy counters. It could happen much more often against characters able to jump 3 meters over his head.

... and that's the challenge, my friend. Bring it on.

Skilletor

I didn't play DoA4 that much, but yeah I didn't enjoy it as much as I did DoA2 and DoA3. Having said that, I'm pretty sure the whole Itagaki 'issue' started way bedore DoA4...

My competitive mindset (and skill level as well :p) has gone since a long time now, so I'm not even updated with pro players general opinion but... Is it possibile I found the recent Dimensions fairly good on the whole? :)

I'm speaking from the viewpoint of a person who plays DoA competitively. I didn't care about the controversial Itagaki until he started making mediocre games.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm speaking from the viewpoint of a person who plays DoA competitively. I didn't care about the controversial Itagaki until he started making mediocre games.

I think Itagaki's goal was to rebalance after DOA3. But the question is: Why did he do that when most fans were completely okay with DOA3?

MjFrancis

Itagaki's idea of balance is making ninjas top-tier and - in a vain attempt at making top-tier play more offensive - create a game where the defender always has the upper-hand.

That's where the idea that Itagaki doesn't even like fighting games comes from. He doesn't understand balance or how to create a mechanically sound fighting game, nor how to change the dynamics of his own fighting games when given the opportunity.

It's like DOA3 was a fluke.

TreIII

I think Itagaki's goal was to rebalance after DOA3. But the question is: Why did he do that when most fans were completely okay with DOA3?

The story goes (as Mr. Wah told me a while ago) that after seeing competitive play for DOA3 at a tournament, Itagaki was not happy with the way competitive players were playing "his game".

Shimbori-san (DOA series director) even went on to further add fuel to this fire, stating, as paraphrased by Rikuto from FSD that:

...Personal preference was the driving force behind the change, Shimbori already clarified this. [Itagaki] has constantly been criticizing people who play his game, telling them they are doing it wrong (even when they are the top players in the world, and are winning). In the DOAU days he would even go online and bitch about how American players were lagging.

- http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/the-freestepdodge-podcast.281/page-5#post-3853

The podcast at the link tells even more of the "story", for those who may be interested.

So, to put it bluntly, most competitive DOA players are glad that Itagaki is gone, because he was easily the biggest proponent of what held DOA back as a decent 3D Fighting game.

benzy

I wonder if the old team ninja laid out any groundwork for doa5 already, and whether or not the new team is using them. Doa5 was originally announced back in 2006

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/20...nounced-at-the-series-10-year-anniversary.htm

And they were going to make another announcement in 2008 before itagaki left that year.

Itagaki: So in terms of what I'm going to be doing in the future, we'll be releasing more information probably some time around late June or early July kind of time frame, so you can expect to hear more around then.

Kikizo: Dead or Alive 5, obviously you have announced it - do you think it will be another Xbox 360 exclusive, will you work with Microsoft once more?

Itagaki: That will be part of our announcement later in the summer.

http://games.kikizo.com/features/itagaki_iv_jun08_p2.asp

Game mechanic advances like counter damage nerfing and the return of the (useful)freestep are fantastic to hear, too. I've been pouring over every piece of media and speculation that I've been able to get my hands on and all signs point to a return to form with major improvements on all fronts.
I really hope that they reduce the number of stuns and remove the ability to counter out of essentially every stun (particularly so-called critical stuns). Attackers should be rewarded for guessing right/reading their opponent and be allowed to press their advantage.

Throw in improvements to the throw game and we're in business (too many inescapable throws, IMO).

Skilletor

I really hope that they reduce the number of stuns and remove the ability to counter out of essentially every stun (particularly so-called critical stuns). Attackers should be rewarded for guessing right/reading their opponent and be allowed to press their advantage.

Throw in improvements to the throw game and we're in business (too many inescapable throws, IMO).

I've always wanted every throw to be escapable in DoA, similar to the VF system. That way you still have to "guess," and it's no different from attacks. Worried about throws being too powerful? Well, you can't escape a throw when it is hi-counter. Seems simple enough solution to me.

Itagaki's idea of balance is making ninjas top-tier and - in a vain attempt at making top-tier play more offensive - create a game where the defender always has the upper-hand.

That's where the idea that Itagaki doesn't even like fighting games comes from. He doesn't understand balance or how to create a mechanically sound fighting game, nor how to change the dynamics of his own fighting games when given the opportunity.

It's like DOA3 was a fluke.
Ain't that the truth. Itagaki somehow struck gold with DoA3 by pure, dumb luck. XD

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Getting Xbox 360 version for daughters, PS3 version for myself. I have a stick on my PS3 otherwise I'd get two 360 copies. My favorite fighting franchise.

I've always wanted every throw to be escapable in DoA, similar to the VF system. That way you still have to "guess," and it's no different from attacks. Worried about throws being too powerful? Well, you can't escape a throw when it is hi-counter. Seems simple enough solution to me.
Perfect solution. I'd keep all catch throws unbreakable and let Bass to keep a few completely unbreakable throws, though.

Skilletor

Perfect solution. I'd keep all catch throws unbreakable and let Bass to keep a few completely unbreakable throws, though.

Yes, I think catch throws (offensive holds) should be unbreakable since they'd have longer startup. Maybe differentiate the frames for grapplers to make them feel like grapplers. They should have quicker throws, imo, since faster characters have quicker attacks.

Ain't that the truth. Itagaki somehow struck gold with DoA3 by pure, dumb luck. XD

That's his design philosophy. Always gambling. Sometimes you win.

TreIII

Agree with this, so much. Why should the 'Busa enjoy having an inescapable tool that gives him a free launcher, among other things? :lol

Alx

As a matter of fact, I remember DOA3 getting a lot of criticism, especially for its counter system that was too tolerant. At the time DOA2 was considered the better game, and DOAU was well received because of that.

My opinion is that I liked all episodes from 2 to 4 (I didn't get to play the first episode at the time), but I never played at high level. I don't see anything wrong with a game giving an advantage to defense, actually I think it's one of the things I like most in fighting games and kung-fu flicks : know your opponent, block his attacks, and punish him when you get the opportunity.
The only thing I disliked in DOA4 was the final boss.

TreIII

As a matter of fact, I remember DOA3 getting a lot of criticism, especially for its counter system that was too tolerant. At the time DOA2 was considered the better game, and DOAU was well received because of that.

Actually, 3.1 is regarded as being the best game in the series, because it fixed a number of issues that 3.0 had, and even added a bit more in the way of content. Only problem was that it was never released in the US, which made it so those who wanted to stay in the game had to import.

I don't see anything wrong with a game giving an advantage to defense, actually I think it's one of the things I like most in fighting games and kung-fu flicks : know your opponent, block his attacks, and punish him when you get the opportunity.

Main problem was that the Counter system, especially in DOA4 and Dimensions, made it so it the defender was more often being rewarded for "guessing", than actually "knowing". This was in the midst of how you could counter even from being in hitstun, which made it so anything close to using real combos was almost impossible, if not just outright impractical.

EDIT: In other news, ANOTHER trailer will be coming this week.

http://twitter.com/#!/TeamNINJAStudio/status/179212262047891457

This seems like a really great idea ..i'm all for it ..
Thorw should IMo always be escapable unless done in a way that prevent escape ( hi counter in this case or like in SOUL calibur from behind )..

Alx

Main problem was that the Counter system, especially in DOA4 and Dimensions, made it so it the defender was more often being rewarded for "guessing", than actually "knowing". This was in the midst of how you could counter even from being in hitstun, which made it so anything close to using real combos was almost impossible, if not just outright impractical.

As somebody who hates long canned combos, I suppose I'm ok with that too... Part of the mind game for me is "guessing" what the opponent will try based on his patterns, and those can be completely random (especially in games with cancellable moves). I understand that it may be frustrating for advanced players who count frames and know all the moves in and out, but for regular players it makes thing more exciting.

Skilletor

As somebody who hates long canned combos, I suppose I'm ok with that too... Part of the mind game for me is "guessing" what the opponent will try based on his patterns, and those can be completely random (especially in games with cancellable moves). I understand that it may be frustrating for advanced players who count frames and know all the moves in and out, but for regular players it makes thing more exciting.

It's exciting to lose 50% of your health because the opponent guessed right and the countered your jab which sent you out of a window/into a wall/down some stairs from a move that would have done next to no damage?

Alx

Well it's exciting to know that the tides can turn at any moment... and that's also why you try to attack carefully when you're close to the edge/slope/wall.
Of course the counter penalty may be a bit high, but I think it's something that has been toned down in the successive episodes.

Skilletor

Well it's exciting to know that the tides can turn at any moment... and that's also why you try to attack carefully when you're close to the edge/slope/wall.
Of course the counter penalty may be a bit high, but I think it's something that has been toned down in the successive episodes.

You'd be wrong unless you mean DoA5. :p

And I shouldn't have to be so careful that I'm afraid to attack at any point in a fighting game.

Top Bottom