• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dead or Alive 5 footage. (Update 2: Releasing Worldwide In September)

remz

Wasn't Itagaki's whole problem people were playing too defensively or something in the first place? pretty hillarious he made the problem worse when trying to fix it with DOA4

***note i have no source for this other than my memory

reversal time was shortened for DOAU right? then increased again for DOA4? I think that's right and I found it rather silly after DOAU played so well.

sleepykyo

The "lucky guess" is the outsmarting part : counters are used against opponents that are too predictable in their attack patterns. If it's only based on luck, then you have too many chances to guess wrong and get hit.
I know it doesn't fit with the competitive approach out there, but it's how most people will play the game, and enjoy it because of that.
Maybe DOA is not meant to be played at a competitive level. I don't know and I don't care.

Actually I think that by looking too much into the mechanics of the game, you'll end up playing it differently than the designer meant to (which seems to be the case with Itagaki). Frame counting is for me like learning all words of a given length to play scrabble or crosswords. It will make you a better player, but that wasn't really the point of the game...
Itagaki highly incentived defense‚ regardless of what he intended DOA4 was obviously going to be a turtle fest.

MjFrancis

That's what spoke volumes about his skills as a game designer. Itagaki attempts to make Dead or Alive rely more on offense and ends up making Dead or Alive rely more on defense.

CaVaYeRo

We just received the Hitomi vs Ayane video. It's weird, because it comes from SEGA (in Spain), so I thought it was a new VF5 appearance announcement. But it's 'just' an awesome fight demonstration, no SEGA presence (I guess they distribute it here or sth).

So looking forward to this!

Skilletor

Looks amazing. I think we saw both of Hitomi's advanced counters, and another of Ayane's showing that normal counters are more comparable to DoA1's (small damage + advantage after). I also like that it looks like you can bait out counters with the power blows.

I do not like the slow mo on the powerblows, but they don't seem to take longer than, say ultras in SF4 or supers in SC5.

Looking good!

Edit: and I think at :50 we see Hitomi sidestep Ayane's 4k!

thanks.gif

EDIT: Jesus H. Christ, that flying car >o<

TreIII

The only bad thing is that it seems like this takes from the older build (which is what the upcoming premium demo is based on). Or at least, older than the build used for the Kasumi+Akira demonstration, anyway. I'm so glad that a lot of those ugly hitsparks seem to be gone by that point.

Trojan X

Banned
Sadly... The new video was kinda... boring. More of the same as before.

Interesting. The VF characters will make the difference it seem.

Skilletor

Sadly... The new video was kinda... boring. More of the same as before.

Interesting. The VF characters will make the difference it seem.

I thought it was awesome. Maybe you're a bit biased? :p

Just seeing the way counters will change in counters will change the flow of combat, the risk and reward, makes me happy. Also, seeing an actual sidestep was awesome. Huge changes in these matches.

Trojan X

Banned
I thought it was awesome. Maybe you're a bit biased? :p

Just seeing the way counters will change in counters will change the flow of combat, the risk and reward, makes me happy. Also, seeing an actual sidestep was awesome. Huge changes in these matches.

I thought again to that but honestly, it felt boring for me. I was way more intrigue with Kasumi vs Ayane and Hayate vs Ryo. I guess it was just the fighting performance. Apologies. I think my biggest question is this: All those wonderful looking movement before the slowdowns look great but can I do all that myself? I.e. is it manual or scripted? If scripted then I'm afraid I need to see more of the game to be convinced that they are offering more to the table. Do you know what I mean?

Skilletor

I thought again to that but honestly, it felt boring for me. I was way more intrigue with Kasumi vs Ayane and Hayate vs Ryo. I guess it was just the fighting performance. Apologies.

No need to apologize, just poking fun at your avatar. :)

I am, afterall, hugely biased as a DoA fan.

Trojan X

Banned
No need to apologize, just poking fun at your avatar. :)

I am, afterall, hugely biased as a DoA fan.

Ah. Thanks. :)

I'm a DOA 1 (sega saturn version) and 2 fan. DOA 3 and 4 completely died for me as I felt they offered nothing new to the table. This looks incredible but I'm afraid of the "too easy to activate" factor for powerful movements really hurt the game from when it was introduced in DOA2. I completely hear what you are saying so hopefully the new additions will balance the game more.

It was nice to see a sidestep in there. Thanks for pointing that out, Skilletor. Hopefully they add side throws and side hit situations to go along with this new lateral movement.

I didn't get as excited for this one since much of the flow was the same as the original trailer and this build is outdated. Still, it looks promising overall. I'm still not thrilled about holds out of stun, but hopefully at the very least they give us a good number of stuns that you can't counter out of.

Skilletor

It was nice to see a sidestep in there. Thanks for pointing that out, Skilletor. Hopefully they add side throws and side hit situations to go along with this new lateral movement.

I didn't get as excited for this one since much of the flow was the same as the original trailer and this build is outdated. Still, it looks promising overall. I'm still not thrilled about holds out of stun, but hopefully at the very least they give us a good number of stuns that you can't counter out of.

I'm hoping for the return of natural combos. DoA4 had a few, and then they got rid of them with a patch. DoA3 had a lot of them as well.

Side throws would be pimp.

Am I the only one who thinks they tried to virtuafighter the animations?

I'm not sure what you mean.

The animation looks pretty much the same as the other games to me. If anything, it looks a little weird since the characters look so much better but still move in that kinda weird, twisty, pointy way only DoA combat does.

Hitomi still a power beast it seems, wish they had updated their voices though, heard those effects so many times since DoA3 it's the tire squeal of GT right now.

Damn... I am loving Ayane's new costume, it looks so badass. The flying car was a pretty cool touch too

Looks like a revisited DoA3 outfit to show off more cleavage! :lol

Looks like a revisited DoA3 outfit to show off more cleavage! :lol
Yep. It's my favorite costume. I like the little touches like the purple twine around her wrists and the purple stitching throughout. It's a really cool update

And dubs? Yuck. I can't stand them in fighting games. They're cool everywhere else, but never in fighters

raven777

Yea, I admit Hitomi doesn't look as good as Ayane or Kasumi. But it still looks good.

If the premium demo had Kaumi in it, I might have gotten NG3 collector's edition from gamestop.

DoA4 had features in 2005 that other fighting games STILL haven't matched, or fail to do as well online.

If I could pre-order this I'd do it today. It's pretty much guaranteed that it will have the best graphics and deepest online features, along with the fun gameplay we are used to.

MjFrancis

That's what dubs are for.
The only time a dub is appropriate is for select anime and kung-fu flicks made before 1988.

My less-than-humble opinion.

Dreams-Visions said:
DoA4 had features in 2005 that other fighting games STILL haven't matched, or fail to do as well online.
That's why I hope they keep the majority of that system in place for DOA5. Why online fighting systems have been regressing in features for the past six-ish years is beyond me.

Skilletor

The only time a dub is appropriate is for select anime and kung-fu flicks made before 1988.

My less-than-humble opinion.

That's why I hope they keep the majority of that system in place for DOA5. Why online fighting systems have been regressing in features for the past six-ish years is beyond me.

I can't think of a single another series that has matched the features of DoA2U, an XBOX game. haha

MjFrancis

I would love to double-check the features of DOA2U, but, given that Xbox Live has been shut down for I forget how long now, I'll just have to take your word for it! :(

Hell, having DOA4 as the only online option for Dead or Alive fans is reason enough for a 5.

Top Bottom