• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dead or Alive 5 footage. (Update 2: Releasing Worldwide In September)

For the record, can I just state that Alpha-152 isn't listed as one of the playable characters in DOA5? She's referenced in the executable but so are Raidou, Tengu, Genra, and Kasumi Alpha; all characters from DOA Dimensions, which this was originally built on top. There's even references to the stereoscopic 3D of the 3DS. There's a section of code that references character select camera data and all those characters are listed, the only difference is that the newer characters' data here has a different file extension meaning that they're using a newer format for DOA5. The reference to Alpha 152, and the other characters I mentioned, references the older format for these files here. So the list originally posted is accurate minus Alpha 152 and there appear to be 24 total characters in DOA5.

Edit: Okay a little update, I was correct in stating that Alpha-152 doesn't appear to be a playable character in DOA5. However, it does look like she may be making a return appearance as a boss again. If you get a hold of the executable for the demo, search for "_INGAME.cam," which refers to in game camera movement, and you'll get 25 results which includes Alpha-152 but if you search for "_SELECT.cam," which refers to camera movement during character select, then you'll only get 24. Stage names start at 0x00116248 followed by the costumes at 0x00117980. Alpha-152 only has one outfit listed whereas all other playable characters have six and there appear to be three "RTM" models, which are used for unique story mode characters if previous DOA games are anything to go by.

Okay, so if you look at the section related to character select camera's you can see that there are 24 characters listed. Some other characters referenced in the executable are from DOA Dimensions, which just confirms that this is a port of that. DOA3 did the same thing by including some files from DOA2H's Tengu, who is sadly looking to be missing from DOA5... =(

Characters referenced in the character select camera section are:

PAI
SARAH
AKIRA
MILA
RIG
BAYMAN
HITOMI
CHRISTIE
BRAD
LISA
ELIOT
AYANE
LEIFANG
HAYATE
KOKORO
BASS
LEON
HELENA
GENFU
KASUMI
HAYABUSA
JANNLEE
TINA
ZACK

RTM isn't even listed because the models used in the story mode don't need anything in the character select but this confirms that Rig is an actual character. Neat.

The stages are listed as well...

BAYMAN! BAYMAN! BAYMAN!

Oh my, sweaty Ayane.

Please let Lisa not come out as bad as Hitomi.

I just hope Lisa's actually good in this game. The only thing she really had in 4 was the ability to crush jabs which was a shame because she was pretty fun to play as.

I've not kept up with the demo news, is Izuna and Raijin still unbreakable? Always seemed stupid to me that the ninjas had better unbreakable grabs than the wrestlers.

Skilletor

I just hope Lisa's actually good in this game. The only thing she really had in 4 was the ability to crush jabs which was a shame because she was pretty fun to play as.

I've not kept up with the demo news, is Izuna and Raijin still unbreakable? Always seemed stupid to me that the ninjas had better unbreakable grabs than the wrestlers.

All throws are still unbreakable, save normal h+p grabs.

SykoTech

I actually tried this on the off chance it'd work...and they didn't even answer the phone. They already have me all figured out! D:

Lol. I probably went have went through with it myself by now if I weren't busy with other games. I can see myself caving one of these days though.

Skilletor

My mistake, I meant escapable like the other grapplers multi-part grabs. Though I suppose that answers my question.

There are no other multipart throws in the demo (they removed Hitomi's), so I'm not sure if they're still breakable. They've made some changes to character classifications. Hayabusa is now a "grapple" character and has advanced holds for different strikes as well as the only offensive hold in the game.

I see what you mean, though. :)

TreIII

There are no other multipart throws in the demo (they removed Hitomi's), so I'm not sure if they're still breakable. They've made some changes to character classifications. Hayabusa is now a "grapple" character and has advanced holds for different strikes as well as the only offensive hold in the game.

It'd certainly be nice if Busa wasn't the only one who had an unbreakable throw sequence...

I wonder how positively gorgeous Eliot is going to be in this game.

DOAD_Ayane_Eliot.jpg

Maybe he'll actually get a little butched up this time, sort of like a reverse Vanessa Lewis situation.

Very interesting that Ryu's considered a grappler now. Are there any noticable differences in how he plays? Namely nerfs to his normals?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Any idea if this is one will be just as counter heavy as 4. Could never really get into 4 for that reason somehow.

TreIII

Very interesting that Ryu's considered a grappler now. Are there any noticable differences in how he plays? Namely nerfs to his normals?

Nope. If anything, his strikes are just as good as they've always been, and now he's got more tools to play with. :lol

Again, I'm one of those that really hope that they'll tone him down a bit before release!

louie

If anything he was buffed, I guess. An air throw, parries from ninpo stance, still has izuna of the 3 hold levels, and the only character so far to keep an OH. Supposedly 214P has guaranteed follow ups as well.

Any idea if this is one will be just as counter heavy as 4. Could never really get into 4 for that reason somehow.

No, it really shouldn't be. There's a lot more guaranteed setups and normal hit launchers that bypass the need for the stun and hold game.

I actually tried this on the off chance it'd work...and they didn't even answer the phone. They already have me all figured out! D:

get voicemail?

call back in a few minutes.

Any kind soul want to share a demo with me... I got a code, but it doesn't work.

call tecmo.

If anything he was buffed, I guess. An air throw, parries from ninpo stance, still has izuna of the 3 hold levels, and the only character so far to keep an OH. Supposedly 214P has guaranteed follow ups as well.

i still can't believe they gave that ninja an air throw.

Edit: Okay a little update, I was correct in stating that Alpha-152 doesn't appear to be a playable character in DOA5. However, it does look like she may be making a return appearance as a boss again. If you get a hold of the executable for the demo, search for "_INGAME.cam," which refers to in game camera movement, and you'll get 25 results which includes Alpha-152 but if you search for "_SELECT.cam," which refers to camera movement during character select, then you'll only get 24. Stage names start at 0x00116248 followed by the costumes at 0x00117980. Alpha-152 only has one outfit listed whereas all other playable characters have six and there appear to be three "RTM" models, which are used for unique story mode characters if previous DOA games are anything to go by.
Just quoting my edit so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
fuck, I want to play this. will they release the demo eventually? really don't want to spend 60 bucks on ng3 for this.

Top Bottom