• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New "For Honor" Gamescom gameplay, classes, and all Gamescom info in general

Klyka

Banned
Here is some new gameplay straight from Gamescom:
(Note that all the gameplay is from the PC version of the game which is being shown at Gamescom but being played with PS4 controllers.)

How New Heroes Play Different Roles on the Battlefield
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VwpJxQ3XBk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njLDZSpjuWM&feature=youtu.be
Please note that the player in this gameplay is very very new at the game and is basically playing it wrong.
He also does not know how to fight multiple enemies, which has it's own little block system implemented and the revenge system, which allows you to hold your own against multiple enemies. But it is HARD.

Explanation of revenge system:
Ok first how to block multiple enemies:

Basically,when you get attack by someone you are not locked on to, a red arrow will appear on your character,showing the direction the attack is coming from. You then hold you right stick towards that red arrow and you will block the attack. If you block one attack, it automatically makes you block every other attack for a second or so, meaning if people spam attacks at you,you only need to block the first to connect attack and will block all others automatically.

Now, the revenge system basically, in the current implementation (no idea if it will change to release of course) works like this:

You have a "revenge meter" that fills up by you being in combat,dealing damage,blocking,parrying or taking damage. Now it fills up always,but very very slowly in 1vs1 fights. But once you fight more than 1 person,the meter fills up really fast.
Once it is full you can press "Y" (xbox) and your character let's out a shout and starts glowing gold. If an enemy attacks you at the time you do the shout, their attack get's rebuffed and they fall down on their ass.
Now while glowing gold,your character gets a bonus depending on the class you play. Like,you take less damage, your guardbreaks are non counterable, you have infinite stamina, stuff like that.
It doesn't make you crazy overpowered, but it definitely makes you able to pull off a 1vs2 or even a 1vs3 (I managed that a single time and basically shouted in real life because it felt so rewarding)

Footage of a developer winning 1vs2 as Viking Raider https://youtu.be/jxZZY8pdRxo?t=233

Some more gameplay from Gamescom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HPz7oRq7q4 (a player being coached by a dev/team member)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeUr_a-97Lc Orochi gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RggfqNnHq9g 35 min footage (Kensei,Raider,Warden)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QPEvcehxWQ 26 min gameplay (Viking Raider)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYeFzOKCCIQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u4Xe31upOE

And the factions/classes:

vblo1dT.jpg

Trailer showing the classes/factions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STIT5j6UmeU
(Note that all footage in this trailer is fully from inside the game. All the fighting moves and animations used in it are inside the game and I have personally used some of them. It is not a "scripted" video)

According to Gamespot each of the three factions has four heroes each: one is a man, one is a woman, and two can be played as either man or woman. They can be any skin color and have tons of armor/weapon/color/emblem/tattoo customization, so those are just the default models in the pics/video.
- Vanguards are well-balanced Heroes, with good attack, and defense capabilities and great versatility.
- Assassins are swift and lethal characters, great duelists with very good offense
- Heavies are the most resistant Heroes, their attacks are slow but deadly. They’re especially efficient for defending a point and annihilating AI enemies.
- Hybrids mix elements and characteristics of other types. They are advanced characters fostering uncommon tactics.

Heroes come with their own set of skills, weapons, armor and fighting style. With a wide library of customization options, players are able to personalize their Heroes to not only look and feel unique, but also tailored to their combat style.
For Honor’s in-depth progression is unique to each Hero, with select elements shared across PvE and PvP gameplay modes. At the end of each multiplayer match and each campaign mission, players are awarded XP that unlocks new combat abilities and new visual customization options. They also have the chance to loot armor and weapon parts on the battlefield, with specific stats allowing each player to adapt their gear to their playstyle while ensuring fairness and balance in multiplayer.

So far from what I played, while each faction has the same classes, like Assassin, Vanguard, Heavy and Hybrid, every single character has their own moveset, traits, passive abilities, combos and special actions.
So even if you play a Orochi and a Berserker, they play very different from each other.

Honestly, this game is basically a fighter like Street Fighter. Every class is like a Street Fighter character and you need to know what they can and can't do.

For example,when fighting a Warden, you need to be super careful with using top attacks, because the Warden's light top attack blocks your top attack and immediately hits you.
Or the Orochi can not just block or parry your attack, if he times his guard perfectly, he will deflect it and can do a light or heavy attack immediately.

The game also features a full singleplayer campaign playable in 2player co-op online or splitscreen according to the game's website

Playable as single player or in 2-players co-op, online or split-screen, For Honor's story campaign is a tale of warriors that will immerse players into the world of For Honor and plunge them into the raging war between Knights, Vikings and Samurai.

http://www.onlysp.com/for-honor-interview-request/
ONLYSP: For those that might be unaware still that For Honor has a single player campaign, would you mind giving us a brief description of what the game’s campaign is about?

Jason VandenBerghe: In For Honor’s campaign, you will play a tale of war that stretches over three chapters. You will play first as a Knight, then as a Viking, and lastly as a Samurai–and you will play mainly as three key heroes who are central to this tale (in addition to a few other warriors from the For Honor cast along the way).

The world of For Honor is never peaceful, but when the warlord Apollyon and her Blackstone Legion launch a new set of attacks, the Vikings clans and the Emperor’s elite are plunged into a war that threatens the very fabric of civilization. Apollyon’s message is clear: humans are made for war, and she means to return the people to their natural state. In the Knights chapter, you will discover Apollyon’s plans from the inside. As the Vikings, you will summon your people out of darkness, and cross the seas to plunder your enemies. And as the Samurai, you will fight to hold your people together and try to stop the dark forces driving the land deeper and deeper into war.

There are going to be five multiplayer modes.

For Honor’s multiplayer modes are playable with and against other players or bots in split-screen co-op on consoles. These multiplayer modes offer each player a different way to live the fantasy of being a skilled melee warrior on a believable battlefield:
• Dominion is a 4v4 objective-based mode in which two teams of four players fight for control of the battlefield. It’s a mode that relies upon skill, communication and teamwork.
• Brawl 2v2: Each team of two players need to kill the two enemy Heroes to win a round. Skill, awareness, cooperation and the capacity to use the environment to the player’s advantage are key components.
• Duel 1v1 puts two Heroes face-to-face in a fight to the death. Skill is fundamental in Duel of course, but as in Brawl, players have the possibility to use the environment to their advantage.
• Skirmish is a 4v4 Team Death Match like mode. Combat skills are key in this mode as players score points for their team by killing enemy Heroes.
• Elimination In this 4v4 mode, the last surviving player on the battlefield wins the round for their team.

Base on the previous leak I was concerned about having only 2 classes per factions, I'm glad to see at least a minimum of 4.

He also does not know how to fight multiple enemies, which has it's own little block system implemented and the revenge system, which allows you to hold your own against multiple enemies. But it is HARD.

Oh? Tell me more.

I hope they will add factions with DLC.
Those three looks great yet, but i would like some more "unusual" civilization represented.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Looking really good. I haven't had time to watch but I'm assuming that the 4 classes are basically identical in terms of gameplay across the 3 factions aside from their looks and maybe voicework? Not a big deal just curious if there is anything unique to them besides their looks.

Klyka

Banned
Base on the previous leak I was concerned about having only 2 classes per factions, I'm glad to see at least a minimum of 4.

Oh? Tell me more.

Basically,when you get attack by someone you are not locked on to, a red arrow will appear on your character,showing the direction the attack is coming from. You then hold you right stick towards that red arrow and you will block the attack. If you block one attack, it automatically makes you block every other attack for a second or so, meaning if people spam attacks at you,you only need to block the first to connect attack and will block all others automatically.

Now, the revenge system basically, in the current implementation (no idea if it will change to release of course) works like this:

You have a "revenge meter" that fills up by you being in combat,dealing damage,blocking,parrying or taking damage. Now it fills up always,but very very slowly in 1vs1 fights. But once you fight more than 1 person,the meter fills up really fast.
Once it is full you can press "Y" (xbox) and your character let's out a shout and starts glowing gold. If an enemy attacks you at the time you do the shout, their attack get's rebuffed and they fall down on their ass.
Now while glowing gold,your character gets a bonus depending on the class you play. Like,you take less damage, your guardbreaks are non counterable, you have infinite stamina, stuff like that.
It doesn't make you crazy overpowered, but it definitely makes you able to pull off a 1vs2 or even a 1vs3 (I managed that a single time and basically shouted in real life because it felt so rewarding)

Looking really good. I haven't had time to watch but I'm assuming that the 4 classes are basically identical in terms of gameplay across the 3 factions aside from their looks and maybe voicework? Not a big deal just curious if there is anything unique to them besides their looks.

So far from what I played, while each faction has the same classes, like Assassin, Vanguard, Heavy and Hybrid, every single character has their own moveset, traits, passive abilities, combos and special actions.
So even if you play a Orochi and a Berserker, they play very different from each other.

Honestly, this game is basically a fighter like Street Fighter. Every class is like a Street Fighter character and you need to know what they can and can't do.

For example,when fighting a Warden, you need to be super careful with using top attacks, because the Warden's light top attack blocks your top attack and immediately hits you.
Or the Orochi can not just block or parry your attack, if he times his guard perfectly, he will deflect it and can do a light or heavy attack immediately.

It looks like the reddit leak forced Ubisoft's hands, now that they've shown off every single class.

Well, this makes me more excited! A game with 12 different classes that all have their own individual strengths, weaknesses and special moves/tactics...I am in there day one! Shugoki will be my go-to first.

Klyka

Banned
It looks like the reddit leak forced Ubisoft's hands, now that they've shown off every single class.

Well, this makes me more excited! A game with 12 different classes that all have their own individual strengths, weaknesses and special moves/tactics...I am in there day one! Shugoki will be my go-to first.

I was personally really surprised by how each class has their own stuff going on.
I figured they would all be very samey, but once you gain a certain amount of skill with the game, they are anything but.

Wow that's amazing. Since the beginning my main concern was how this game would balance a 2v1 scenario and it looks like they've made a mechanic that works for that type of game they want.

And the fact that all the classes have some unique specialty makes it even better.

Alright I'm all in.

Moaradin

Wow I had no idea they would add that many classes. The ones they had were already pretty unique to each other.

I really enjoyed what I've played of it so far.

Klyka

Banned
For me the suprise of the show. Kinda chaotic but the dueling is really spot on and fun

Many people have only seen the 4vs4 "Dominion" mode with the capture points and abilities and such.

But for me, the real meat of the game is the 1vs1 duels and the 2vs2 brawls.

This game is INSANELY intense in the 1vs1 duels against a same skilled opponent.
And against a higher skilled opponent you really feel like you are fighting for every inch.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Well that's even better then. I wouldn't have minded if they were all just different character models over 4 base character classes but if they all have their own unique strengths and weaknesses and what not, that's even better. Dumb question but is their long ranged gameplay in this? Like bow and arrows or what not or is all melee?

Klyka

Banned
Well that's even better then. I wouldn't have minded if they were all just different character models over 4 base character classes but if they all have their own unique strengths and weaknesses and what not, that's even better. Dumb question but is their long ranged gameplay in this? Like bow and arrows or what not or is all melee?

There are so called "feats" which you choose at the start of a round and which unlock 1 by 1 as you level up your character in the round.
You can have up to 4 feats. Some are passive,some active.
The active ones for some classes involve throwing weapons, like a kunai for the Orochi or a firebomb for the Warden.

But no,there is no dedicated ranged attacks in the game.

Many people have only seen the 4vs4 "Dominion" mode with the capture points and abilities and such.

But for me, the real meat of the game is the 1vs1 duels and the 2vs2 brawls.

This game is INSANELY intense in the 1vs1 duels against a same skilled opponent.
And against a higher skilled opponent you really feel like you are fighting for every inch.
Jeah I must say it slipped under my radar but the 1vs1 battles are really intense like you said. 1vs2 did take some time adjusting and was a little bit chaotic but it is really well done

SOR5

Really nice to see Ubisoft when they branch from Tom Clancy shit, this is the stuff that made them stand out in previous years

I REALLLY hope this is awesome. Gameplay though, just looks flimsy, doesn't look like much force behind swings and connects.Looks more like Dynasty than Souls. We'll see

!! Actually what this reminds me most of- The Club from Xbox 360 from the devs who made Geometry Wars Bizarre Creations !!

Jachaos

Xbox footage with PS4 prompts?

I don't think the video itself says Xbox footage anywhere, probably more of an assumption that was made here, but yeah, those are PS4 prompts.

I REALLLY hope this is awesome. Gameplay though, just looks flimsy, doesn't look like much force behind swings and connects.Looks more like Dynasty than Souls. We'll see

Doesn't translate to video nearly as well as playing it. I tried it a little less than a year ago in a 4v4 LAN set-up at a convention and it was very cool. Weight behind the hits, the combat was nice, the animations are great, I really dug it.

Klyka

Banned

I can tell you that depending on the weapon and the attack used, there is a lot of weight to the combat.

Light attacks are quick, heavy attacks are slow and well "heavy".
Block and parries feel weighty and the movement has a lot of weight to it as well.

Xbox footage with PS4 prompts?

Sorry, the video is from an Xbox channel but apparently they were playing the PS4 version.
I only picked up on that after making the thread.

Klyka

Banned
Does this have a storyline that's fleshed out for each faction?

It sure has:

http://www.onlysp.com/for-honor-interview-request/

ONLYSP: For those that might be unaware still that For Honor has a single player campaign, would you mind giving us a brief description of what the game’s campaign is about?

Jason VandenBerghe: In For Honor’s campaign, you will play a tale of war that stretches over three chapters. You will play first as a Knight, then as a Viking, and lastly as a Samurai–and you will play mainly as three key heroes who are central to this tale (in addition to a few other warriors from the For Honor cast along the way).

The world of For Honor is never peaceful, but when the warlord Apollyon and her Blackstone Legion launch a new set of attacks, the Vikings clans and the Emperor’s elite are plunged into a war that threatens the very fabric of civilization. Apollyon’s message is clear: humans are made for war, and she means to return the people to their natural state. In the Knights chapter, you will discover Apollyon’s plans from the inside. As the Vikings, you will summon your people out of darkness, and cross the seas to plunder your enemies. And as the Samurai, you will fight to hold your people together and try to stop the dark forces driving the land deeper and deeper into war.

ONLYSP: Each faction in For Honor (Knights, Vikings, and Samurai) each have their own missions in the campaign mode. How varied will the missions be in terms of objectives and locale?

VandenBerghe: We’re going all over the place. The campaign world is divided into three big regions (Ashfeld, Valkenheim, and this horrible swamp place called The Myre), and each has a totally different approach to its look and feel. We’re going to give you big smash-and-burn missions, solo insertion missions, and everything in between. You’ll attack, defend, and maybe do both at the same time, and the cast of allies at your side will always be changing.

Mix that in with a bunch of specialized set-pieces and boss-fights, we feel like you’ll be good to go on the variety side of things. You’ll have to tell us, though.

ONLYSP: How big do you anticipate For Honor’s campaign to be in terms of length and content?

VandenBerghe: The best way I know to answer is this way: if you pick up For Honor only for the campaign, we want you 100% satisfied with your purchase when you finally decide to put down the controller.

So that means there’s a minimum expectation on number of missions, locations, extended play, etcetera. And we’ve got all that.

How big will For Honor’s content be? As big as we can make it, man. As big as we can possibly make it.

Klyka

Banned
Look good. But i just dont like the MP side of it really.

Well,it has a full on singleplayer campaign, co-op mode and you can just play 1v1 multiplayer if you want to.

the 4v4 dominion mode is just one part, it's not the main attraction.

mcz117chief

The game looks fun but the animations are eh. I can't really say much about the Vikings and the knights since I really don't know that much about them but the samurai have some weird stuff going on with them, like the classic "extend your elbows as much as possible to make yourself a huge-ass target" and the dude using a sword in one arm.

Dervius

The more I see of this the more promising it looks. I just hope they manage to pull off what is quite an ambitious concept.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Knights looking nice.

Some of the gameplay shows all three factions represented on one team. Is this how the final game will play or just something special for the demo?

Jamesways

They have bots for every mode.
The 4vs4 mode has a "players vs AI option" and believe me, the bots fuck you uuuuuuup.

That is fantastic news! I'm so excited for this game, it's been a long wait since the first trailer last year.

Klyka, thanks for all the reports and impressions. This game is really sounding great.
You can tell by Vandenberghe's stories and interviews that this really is a passion project. He pitched it for so long, I imagine he can't believe the release is a few months away.

Klyka

Banned
It keeps looking better and better. But can some of the characters actually do special flips and kicks?

Every animation you see in that faction trailer is direct footage of combat in the game.
So yeah, some can pull that off. Basically the light armored Assassin classes.

Top Bottom