• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New "For Honor" Gamescom gameplay, classes, and all Gamescom info in general

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The "motion matching" animation method they're using in For Honor is pretty mind blowing. Watching two players fighting and circling each other on a flight of stairs without any noticeable jank... incredible. Brings a tear to my eye.

Wonder if this method will be adopted for the Assassin's Creed refresh.

-Deimos

The "motion matching" animation method they're using in For Honor is pretty mind blowing. Watching two players fighting and circling each other on a flight of stairs without any noticeable jank... incredible. Brings a tear to my eye.

The animation in this game is fucking incredible, I love it.

Evolved1

The animation in this game is fucking incredible, I love it.
Creative Director was saying that each character type has unique animation, moveset, etc. And that it's basically like having 12 main characters from your average third person game.

And then you consider all 12 have a male/female variant, each with unique animation... it's very impressive.

NDA prevents me from saying what I'd like to about this game. Graphics are nice though.

Doesn't seem to be affecting Kylka.

Klyka

Banned
Creative Director was saying that each character type has unique animation, moveset, etc. And that it's basically like having 12 main characters from your average third person game.

And then you consider all 12 have a male/female variant, each with unique animation... it's very impressive.

We did find out not all 12 have male/female variants.

According to Gamespot, each faction has 1 male only, 1 female only and 2 male&female classes.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

Evolved1

According to Gamespot, each faction has 1 male only, 1 female only and 2 male&female classes.
Ahh... hadn't heard that.

It's still impressive lol.

Inspector Q

Hmm, I wonder why they decided to limit the gender selection of several classes. Is this confirmed, then?

I could have swore they said that all classes would have male/female options to choose from.

Klyka

Banned
Ah ok, thanks. So I guess there is still some hope that maybe they were basing their info on what is currently in the game and not what will be ready for release? *crosses fingers*

This is what the devs said during E3 this year when asked about gender:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZO4iyF51f0&t=38m22s

"It's not complicated for us, you can change your gender when you customize, you can change your skin color. You can play as whoever you want.

Klyka

Banned
One of the Viking classes is called Valkyrie. Pretty sure that's an all female class.

Yeah, that's kinda the only thing where I went "huh a male Valkyrie?"

All other classes are not really a problem.

I however also do not see them making a female Shugoki because it would have to be a "fat lady" basically.

Inspector Q

I get what you guys mean regarding the Valkyrie, but I think I would rather them change the name than not be able to use a male version of a spear/shield warrior. Or just have the male version have a different name from the female version.

As far as the Shugoki is concerned, I don't think it would be much of a problem if they actually made a fat lady model. All's fair in love and war, after all. If a dude can be ridiculously obese while wielding a giant mace, I don't see why a woman can't, lol.

HoodWinked

the animation looks so good in this game however the UI elements are such clash to the game's visuals they need to make the UI elements match better. more ryse less dynasty warriors.

Evolved1

Seriously gotta wonder how this system would work with parkour.
I might be misunderstanding the method, but it seems like this could help iron out a lot of AC's jank and/or clunk that has been there since day one. We'll see I guess. Idk I just have this feeling the AC refresh is going to use this method and move/control a lot better.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I might be misunderstanding the method, but it seems like this could help iron out a lot of AC's jank and/or clunk that has been there since day one. We'll see I guess. Idk I just have this feeling the AC refresh is going to use this method and move/control a lot better.
It seems like it absolutely could based on how they construct the worlds in AC.

Shredderi

The animation system in this game is the best I've seen in a game. The talk about 4 or more games currently in development are using this system makes me happy. Ditto to Crossing Eden's comment about this system with parkour...

Inspector Q

The video in the OP has the producer stating the gender specific classes so it's probably changed.

Hey, just wondering which vid are you and Klyka referring to in the OP?

In this one, Chris asks Producer Stephane Cardin about character customization. Here is the link to the exact time that he asks the question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VwpJxQ3XBk&feature=youtu.be&t=177

Stephane specifically replies that each of the 12 character classes are just templates and that you can fully customize them. Gender was one of the first things he mentioned.

I wonder what the final verdict will be. I am hoping Gamespot is wrong on this one, but who knows?

But yeah, the game looks and plays amazing. People really need to try it out for themselves before they knock it because I see a lot of comments on some of these vids that are basing their opinions off of these terrible players.

This game definitely has a learning curve so a new player will make the combat look like a button masher, but it really isn't anything like that.

There were some players during the tech test that if you tried to button mash against them you would lose 100 out of 100 times, no exaggeration.

The combat is not that simple. So hopefully everyone gives this game a shot and it doesn't completely flop at release. That would suck.

Klyka

Banned
I tweeted Ubisoft about the gender question and they answered it here: https://twitter.com/Ubisoft/status/765923792799531008

So, yeah, there are definitely gender locked classes.

But yeah, the game looks and plays amazing. People really need to try it out for themselves before they knock it because I see a lot of comments on some of these vids that are basing their opinions off of these terrible players.

This game definitely has a learning curve so a new player will make the combat look like a button masher, but it really isn't anything like that.

There were some players during the tech test that if you tried to button mash against them you would lose 100 out of 100 times, no exaggeration.

The combat is not that simple. So hopefully everyone gives this game a shot and it doesn't completely flop at release. That would suck.

Absolutely agreed. After playing the game more and more, I could see myself improve with every fight.
And watching the videos I linked in the OP, I can see exactly what people are doing wrong and how I would counter them.

A shallow fighting system would not allow something like that.

I fought people in duel mode who were almost untouchable for me.

Ashtar

This looks great! I dunno which class I'll choose but I'm partial to samurais
I really hope they let me in the alpha

Ushay

Would have liked some Middle East/African representation with the classes/factions, maybe the are saving that for an expansion/DLC.

The current classes look amazing, game is shaping up very nicely.

No, there is an Alpha for For Honor from September 15th till 18th.

Not sure which beta you are thinking off :D

Maybe Titanfall 2 console multiplayer test?
Oh yeah could be lol, thanks. Battlefield's beta is soon too right? I know there's one more other than For Honor but I can't recall at this moment.

ps3ud0

Does anyone mind explaining the fighting UI?

Its obvious the 3 element shield motif shows a grey component when the enemy is in that stance, red when they are attacking with that stance and you should switch to same stance to defend it.

Does the defence depend on timing or can it be a buffered input? Does your positioning affect the effectiveness or does that 1v1 auto lock-on it does make that not a necessary thing to worry about (how does that work in 2v1?)? I think theres a fair few assumptions Ive made about how attacking (heavier classes have slower attacks which can be interrupted; friendly fire is not on unlike what some videos say etc) works but Im sure theres nuances to that I havent noticed.

What does the exclamation mark and the lightning symbols mean? Think thats the only ones Ive seen, both red IIRC.

ps3ud0 8)

Klyka

Banned
Does anyone mind explaining the fighting UI?

Its obvious the 3 element shield motif shows a grey component when the enemy is in that stance, red when they are attacking with that stance and you should switch to same stance to defend it.

Does the defence depend on timing or can it be a buffered input? Does your positioning affect the effectiveness or does that 1v1 auto lock-on it does make that not a necessary thing to worry about (how does that work in 2v1?)? I think theres a fair few assumptions Ive made about how attacking (heavier classes have slower attacks which can be interrupted; friendly fire is not on unlike what some videos say etc) works but Im sure theres nuances to that I havent noticed.

What does the exclamation mark and the lightning symbols mean? Think thats the only ones Ive seen, both red IIRC.

ps3ud0 8)

Alright sure, I'll explain it all:

The guard/attack system is divided into three directions: Top, left and right.
The three directions shown in white/gray on your character are your guard.
White for where your guard currently is, gray for the other two.
The white direction shown on your enemy is telling you where his guard currently is.

When the enemy attacks you, it shows where the attack is coming from with the red indicator. If your guard matches his attack at the time the attack hits you, you block it. So it doesn't matter if your guard was already in that direction or if you switched it at the last moment, if your guard and the attack match as it hits,you block it.

Now most classes always have their guard up in one direction, but the assassin classes don't. They have a timing based guard where you push in a direction and for about 1.5second there will be a guard there. If they guard at the last moment, they actually deflect the enemies attack,something only assassins can do.

What's also important is that parrying exists. See if you block a light attack, it just gets negated. If you block a heavy attack, you take some damage through your block (this damage can not kill you). Now, when you see an enemy attack, right before their attack hits,their red attack indicator will blink. If you press your heavy attack button in that moment, you parry their attack. This negates all damage, throws them off of their guard for a moment AND the attack the enemy used costs him twice the normal amount of stamina. If you miss the timing of the parry however, his attack hits you unblocked.

Positioning is important when it comes to range of your attacks and dodging.

Heavy attacks are slow, light attacks fast. Heavier classes are a bit slower in general, yes.

Friendly fire is ALWAYS on. You hurt friendlies with every attack and you interrupt their movement/attacks with yours.

The lightning+exclamation mark means it is an unblockable attack. It can only be dodged or parried.

The shield icon means the enemy is throwing a guardbreak at you. If you press your guardbreak at the time the shield shows up, you rebuff his guardbreak.

I you have any other questions,ask away :)
For fighting multiple people, check the OP please, I explained it there!

iuxion

So excited for this game, but hate that thin white outline around your targets. Hope there is a way to turn that off.

Moaradin

Best part is that it plays just as fluid as it looks. I think people are going to really dig this game.

ps3ud0

Alright sure, I'll explain it all:

The guard/attack system is divided into three directions: Top, left and right.
The three directions shown in white/gray on your character are your guard.
White for where your guard currently is, gray for the other two.
The white direction shown on your enemy is telling you where his guard currently is.

When the enemy attacks you, it shows where the attack is coming from with the red indicator. If your guard matches his attack at the time the attack hits you, you block it. So it doesn't matter if your guard was already in that direction or if you switched it at the last moment, if your guard and the attack match as it hits,you block it.

Now most classes always have their guard up in one direction, but the assassin classes don't. They have a timing based guard where you push in a direction and for about 1.5second there will be a guard there. If they guard at the last moment, they actually deflect the enemies attack,something only assassins can do.

What's also important is that parrying exists. See if you block a light attack, it just gets negated. If you block a heavy attack, you take some damage through your block (this damage can not kill you). Now, when you see an enemy attack, right before their attack hits,their red attack indicator will blink. If you press your heavy attack button in that moment, you parry their attack. This negates all damage, throws them off of their guard for a moment AND the attack the enemy used costs him twice the normal amount of stamina. If you miss the timing of the parry however, his attack hits you unblocked.

Positioning is important when it comes to range of your attacks and dodging.

Heavy attacks are slow, light attacks fast. Heavier classes are a bit slower in general, yes.

Friendly fire is ALWAYS on. You hurt friendlies with every attack and you interrupt their movement/attacks with yours.

The lightning+exclamation mark means it is an unblockable attack. It can only be dodged or parried.

The shield icon means the enemy is throwing a guardbreak at you. If you press your guardbreak at the time the shield shows up, you rebuff his guardbreak.

I you have any other questions,ask away :)
For fighting multiple people, check the OP please, I explained it there!
Cheers for that, not seen anything thats covered parries so that all new to me, I like the fact its linked to an attacking button and not a defensive one - Ill keep an eye out for that blink.

Love the fact that the systems differ for the different classes - are there any more examples of that?

Ive only watched most of the videos linked on GAF but not seen friendly fire even when the commentator mentions it in action - Ive seen you stumble and be opened up from a friendly attack but not damaged. TBH the quality of play Ive seen isnt far off button mashing so kinda worried about having it on when playing with randoms, but I guess it encourages more 1v1 play rather than just a crowd...

Forgot about the broken shield icon - glad you mentioned it!

Ubisoft need to spend some effort communicating how mechanically sound this game is (seems to have the highest skill ceiling Ive seen in their games), I swear thats something that the mainstream wont realise purely because its under the Ubisoft banner. Im really glad that my initial impressions of BB type gameplay actually could be happening (well without the honour ;))

ps3ud0 8)

Klyka

Banned
Cheers for that, not seen anything thats covered parries so that all new to me, I like the fact its linked to an attacking button and not a defensive one - Ill keep an eye out for that blink.

Love the fact that the systems differ for the different classes - are there any more examples of that?

Ive only watched most of the videos linked on GAF but not seen friendly fire even when the commentator mentions it in action - Ive seen you stumble and be opened up from a friendly attack but not damaged. TBH the quality of play Ive seen isnt far off button mashing so kinda worried about having it on when playing with randoms, but I guess it encourages more 1v1 play rather than just a crowd...

Forgot about the broken shield icon - glad you mentioned it!

Ubisoft need to spend some effort communicating how mechanically sound this game is, I swear thats something that the mainstream wont realise purely because its under the Ubisoft banner...

ps3ud0 8)

I'd like to say that all of the players you see in the gameplay linked from gamescom would get entirely destroyed by a person who knows the mechanics because they keep spamming attacks which means you just block and parry them, depleting their stamina and then you kill them.

Systems for different classes, well the Conqueror for example can just hold downwards on his right stick and he puts his shield up. This means he will automatically block every attack from the front/side but each block will cost him stamina.
In revenge mode he gets unlimited stamina, so that works really well with the shield.
He can of course get guard broken though.

There's lots of other little systems that play into the movesets.

Like, a Warden can do a light attack and then immediately do a shoulderbash out of it, which has longer range than a normal guardbreak.

A Raider can cancel a heavy attack directly into a special light attack called a "stun tap" where he hits the enemies head with the hilt of his axe. This "stuns" the target, meaning their vision gets blurry and they can't see their and the enemies indicators anymore.

Orpheum

Getting kind of interested in this. I'm not entirely convinced though, some sort of free demo would be perfect...

laxu

I really look forward to this and I hope it turns out good.

Right now one of my concerns is that there's just too much UI on screen. You have your health meters, enemy health, block indicators, faction and waypoint symbols as well as unnecessary crap like unlocks.

I hope they pare it down a lot, maybe to something as simple as what Dark Souls games have where you can see a health bar for a while when you hit someone or they take damage from anything. I don't feel like it's a good idea to show enemy stamina meters either, that should be something you have to predict in your head or notice when they are out from animations.

I'm also slightly concerned how this will play on a Steam Controller since it doesn't have an equivalent of a right stick.

Evolved1

I think Battlefield 1's beta is this month, yeah.

Also,here is some more "I swing my sword blindly" gameplay from my favorite class, the Warden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sQ1l2Ny-Tc

I really wish I could find footage with people properly playing.
PSTrophies has a vid where the guy is okay... he even fight 4v1 briefly and kills three of them (the fourth runs away). But yeah, most people posting footage are pretty green, as you'd expect.

Here's a guy going 13-1 with an assassassin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MbUws-FWjA

Klyka

Banned
Any word on microtransactions?

They'll definitely be in, cause the ingame currency and cosmetic system is kinda built for them, but nothing has been officially said or shown yet.

Here's a guy going 13-1 with an assassassin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MbUws-FWjA

That's again not good gameplay though. He is just spamming light attacks again against people who don't understand the mechanics.
And he is doing the non lock on rolls which are totally useless compared to a locked on dodge XD it's great that he thinks they are a positive but they have no place in a normal skilled fight
I'll keep digging :D

Evolved1

Any word on microtransactions?
I'm expecting the Rainbow Six Siege model. These games have a lot in common. And Siege is very healthy... I bet they follow that path with For Honor. It's really the best way I've seen it done.

Top Bottom