• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New "For Honor" Gamescom gameplay, classes, and all Gamescom info in general

Klyka

Banned
I hope there is more than 1 character model for each type. Seems like that would get visually stale quickly.

Every class has extensive customization for colors,emblems,symbols and tattoos.
Also you get more and more equipment that looks different and can be mixed and matched and even "transmogrified" so you can use the stats of one armor but the look of another.

You'l easily be able to make a knight that looks different to others.

Helmets especially make a large difference in looks.

I had a fully masked chain helmet for my Raider which looked vastly different to the standard helm.

Ok, this gameplay right here is actually pretty decent in many places https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsVLKBRP92Q
They actually block sometimes and get some proper fights in.

After E3 my hype for For Honor took a dive, but with the changes and extra info released, this game just went back on my most anticipated 2017 list. The split-screen co-op campaign seals the deal. In fact, due to the lack of information about Mass Effect Andromeda, For Honor has not only jumped on my list, but surprisingly it is in the second spot.

1. Horizon: Zero Dawn (Feb 28)
  2. For Honor (Feb 14)
  3. Mass Effect Andromeda (Mar ??)
Unbelievable. The beginning of next year is just packed. I'm much more interested in Q1 2017 than Holiday 2016.

Klyka

Banned
I still love how watching the many gameplay videos, apparently people have a REALLY hard time of moving their right stick into one of three directions to block, even with a big red indicator there.

A friend of mine when seeing the game being played told me "it only has three directions, how can there be any depth? you just block everything"

Well, guess three directions is not as easy as he thought XD

Btw, this right here is why you don't fight a Raider with your back to a pit/spikes https://youtu.be/DsVLKBRP92Q?t=501 He can literally pick you up and run with you into a deadly trap.

ps3ud0

I still love how watching the many gameplay videos, apparently people have a REALLY hard time of moving their right stick into one of three directions to block, even with a big red indicator there.

A friend of mine when seeing the game being played told me "it only has three directions, how can there be any depth? you just block everything"

Well, guess three directions is not as easy as he thought XD
I think some of the problem is the UI where its hard not to be super focused on the icons on you while fighting, especially when they are bigger and more obvious than the more important icons on your attacker.

It would be cool if they got rid of the stance shield on you and only show up the attackers one when there is a stance mismatch (leave all the attacking as it is).

The UI and HUD are a mess, so I assume thats gonna be overhauled before launch - seems to be a niggle in a lot of games...

ps3ud0 8)

Klyka

Banned
I think some of the problem is the UI where its hard not to be super focused on the icons on you while fighting, especially when they are bigger and more obvious than the more important icons on your attacker.

It would be cool if they got rid of the stance shield on you and only show up the attackers one when there is a stance mismatch (leave all the attacking as it is).

The UI and HUD are a mess, so I assume thats gonna be overhauled before launch - seems to be a niggle in a lot of games...

ps3ud0 8)

You just press your stick into the direction of the red attack, you really don't need to look at much else XD

The UI is WIP, they are changing some stuff of it.

I'm trying to fall in love with this game, but all the combat videos shown in this thread just look like people button smashing attack.

drotahorror

Wow, great OP.

This is looking way better than I thought it was going to be. I was super hype but damn this looks sick as fuck. I hope the PC version has a decent audience.
uplay :(

I'm trying to fall in love with this game, but all the combat videos shown in this thread just look like people button smashing attack.

In the very first video :

How New Heroes Play Different Roles on the Battlefield
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VwpJxQ3XBk

It looks like to me a lot of things are calculated and skill based.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Watch the vid I posted right above your post. That's clearly a dev (or someone experienced) playing against other similarly skilled players. There are a couple nice duels, some 1vX, and you can see how the environment has a tactical impact on the battles.

Klyka

Banned

It's like if I showed you a fighting game like Street Fighter 5 with 2 people playing who have never played it before.
It all looks wild and dumb and button mashy until a player steps in who can actually play and completely and decisively wipes the floor with the mashers.

Klyka

Banned
I don't think it's a dev, that player, and almost every video posted, has no grasp of the stamina mechanic. I haven't even touched the game and it's driving me crazy noticing this.

Yeah,it's not a dev, but at least he sometimes guardbreaks and throws.

Again,no proper blocking and parrying though.

And like you said,no stamina control.

Klyka

Banned
After E3 my hype for For Honor took a dive, but with the changes and extra info released, this game just went back on my most anticipated 2017 list. The split-screen co-op campaign seals the deal. In fact, due to the lack of information about Mass Effect Andromeda, For Honor has not only jumped on my list, but surprisingly it is in the second spot.

1. Horizon: Zero Dawn (Feb 28)
  2. For Honor (Feb 14)
  3. Mass Effect Andromeda (Mar ??)
Unbelievable. The beginning of next year is just packed. I'm much more interested in Q1 2017 than Holiday 2016.

Yeah man, I can't believe it's still till February 17th for this D: And the new Nier game is in early 2017 as well!

SomTervo

Really bad. That choice of orange/blue and so many of the elements being opaque and all the floating indicators with how far they're pushed into the screen. The gameplay didn't look like it even warranted a giant circle under enemies (guessing it's the locked-on indicator).

DSZGXjG.png

Funnily enough you don't notice it while playing. It's surprisingly functional.

SomTervo

Yeah man, I can't believe it's still till February 17th for this D: And the new Nier game is in early 2017 as well!

Potentially a great age for character action games man

I can't believe For Honor is like arguably the first PvP character action game. Obv Souls had it, but this is dedicated.

And in 1vs1 or 2vs2 half of the UI isn't even there cause you don't need it

Yeah sometimes it looks painfully epic.

Klyka

Banned
Potentially a great age for character action games man

I can't believe For Honor is like arguably the first PvP character action game. Obv Souls had it, but this is dedicated.

Yeah sometimes it looks painfully epic.

I have a friend who loves character action games and is absolutely into fighting games.

He was skeptical of the game at first, but then I showed him stuff and told him "it's basically soul calibur" and now he really wants to try out the alpha :D

I so hope people will fall in love with this game. It really deserves it and should not be dismissed because "lol Ubisoft"

My only problem with this game is the Vikings wearing horned helmets. I know they didn't go for realism but maintaining that stupid stereotype is not good at all.

Klyka

Banned
Wait, there's stamina?

Yes, of course!
The green bar underneath the your and the enemies health is stamina.
Each attack costs stamina. If you parry an attack, that attack costs double stamina.
If your stamina runs out, you can't sprint or dodge anymore, your attacks are super slow and don't do full damage and your screen goes less colorful!

Stamina management is a huge part of the game

My only problem with this game is the Vikings wearing horned helmets. I know they didn't go for realism but maintaining that stupid stereotype is not good at all.

There are non horned helmets :D

Stiler

This game is looking fun, like a more well balanced/exciting Chivalry/War of the Roses.

My only wish is that they have more game modes with some that offer more then just four players.

I want to see some epic 8 vs 8 at least, where the focus is on pvp and not the AI soldiers.

SomTervo

I have a friend who loves character action games and is absolutely into fighting games.

He was skeptical of the game at first, but then I showed him stuff and told him "it's basically soul calibur" and now he really wants to try out the alpha :D

I so hope people will fall in love with this game. It really deserves it and should not be dismissed because "lol Ubisoft"

Hopefully Siege has broken that. What reinforces this more for me is For Honor's menu/style/structure. It's exactly like Siege's "each operator had unique abilities and you can learn them to get more who are even more unique" etc. Even the menu looks identical.

Ubisoft going all-in on the "quality over quantity design".

Can't wait. And Nioh too... One of the best alphas/betas I've ever played.

This game is looking fun, like a more well balanced/exciting Chivalry/War of the Roses.

My only wish is that they have more game modes with some that offer more then just four players.

I want to see some epic 8 vs 8 at least, where the focus is on pvp and not the AI soldiers.

There is a 4vE mode and it was more than enough in the alpha. The AI were fucking hard and the battles felt good. Unfortunately 4v4 never worked for me during the alpha.

Wait, there's stamina?

Yeah, push too hard and you get totally fucked up

Klyka

Banned

Yeah, we'll have to see about additional gamemodes.
I'm sure they'll add some. Not sure if it'll have more players though! 4vs4 can already be pretty blobbed

Hopefully Siege has broken that. What reinforces this more for me is For Honor's menu/style/structure. It's exactly like Siege's "each operator had unique abilities and you can learn them to get more who are even more unique" etc. Even the menu looks identical.

Ubisoft going all-in on the "quality over quantity design".

Can't wait. And Nioh too... One of the best alphas/betas I've ever played.

What I love the most about the game is how I can play 1vs1 or 2vs2 for the duels.
1vs1 is where it's at of course, but 2vs2 can be fun if you are all honorable and watch your buddy fight after winning your duel instead of jumping in.

I just loved the feeling of 1vs1 and fighting the different classes and suddenly running into players who were absolutely crazy hard to fight and somehow edging out a victory.

Like, I can't overstate this to people reading this thread:

The 4vs4 mode that you are seeing that looks like a bit of a clusterfuck?
It's an outlier. The 1vs1 duel mode is a calm, utterly mesmorizing experience where ever attack, every guardbreak, every feint and your position play HUGE rolls and duels can be decided by one attack coming in a millisecond earlier than the other.

I firmly believe that if streamers on Twitch literally just do back to back 1vs1 duels, it will be absolutely amazing to watch, especially as the skill increases more and more.

The only thing I am afraid of is meta/balancing/glitches/exploits.

Yes, of course!
The green bar underneath the your and the enemies health is stamina.
Each attack costs stamina. If you parry an attack, that attack costs double stamina.
If your stamina runs out, you can't sprint or dodge anymore, your attacks are super slow and don't do full damage and your screen goes less colorful!

Stamina management is a huge part of the game

There are non horned helmets :D

Jesus I never noticed lol. I focused too much on the HP and the directional attacks that I never saw the stamina bar

I was just wondering why a 'realistic' combat game wouldn't include stamina lol...

Klyka

Banned
Jesus I never noticed lol. I focused too much on the HP and the directional attacks that I never saw the stamina bar

I was just wondering why a 'realistic' combat game wouldn't include stamina lol...

Oh btw, did I mention your attack bounce off of the environment like in Dark Souls so you need to watch your positioning and can pressure your enemy into fighting in a place where his large weapon is not properly useable? :D

SomTervo

I'm sure they'll add some. Not sure if it'll have more players though! 4vs4 can already be pretty blobbed

What I love the most about the game is how I can play 1vs1 or 2vs2 for the duels.
1vs1 is where it's at of course, but 2vs2 can be fun if you are all honorable and watch your buddy fight after winning your duel instead of jumping in.

I just loved the feeling of 1vs1 and fighting the different classes and suddenly running into players who were absolutely crazy hard to fight and somehow edging out a victory.

Like, I can't overstate this to people reading this thread:

The 4vs4 mode that you are seeing that looks like a bit of a clusterfuck?
It's an outlier. The 1vs1 duel mode is a calm, utterly memorizing experience where ever attack, every guardbreak, every feint and your position play HUGE rolls and duels can be decided by one attack coming in a millisecond earlier than the other.

I firmly believe that if streamers on Twitch literally just do back to back 1vs1 duels, it will be absolutely amazing to watch, especially as the skill increases more and more.

The only thing I am afraid of is meta/balancing/glitches/exploits.

I played one 1v1 match.

A super close, pseudo-religious experience where each bout lasted minutes at a time. Two Roaches waiting for the other to strike first. Super intense. Lots of dancing and strategic play.

Ultimately I beat they other player, a hair's breadth between us. Exploited their tendency to counter and got several sharp attacks in to finish them.

Then after I typed "gg" they responded a moment later - "stfu cunt"

Classic

Klyka

Banned
I played one 1v1 match.

A super close, pseudo-religious experience where each bout lasted minutes at a time. Two Roaches waiting for the other to strike first. Super intense. Lots of dancing and strategic play.

Ultimately I beat they other player, a hair's breadth between us. Exploited their tendency to counter and got several sharp attacks in to finish them.

Then after I typed "gg" they responded a moment later - "stfu cunt"

Classic

Hahahahha yes! Amazing.

I also love that in the duel mode both players can just stay in and keep playing.
I played against the same Berserker player from Denmark for over 8 duels and it was awesome.

I also had a duel where we were both tied and the guy tried to guardbreak throw me off of a bridge but my character stopped like not even a cm away from falling and I caught him with a guardbreak and threw him off.
Guy called me a "fucking throw bitch" before he left :D

Stiler

There is a 4vE mode and it was more than enough in the alpha. The AI were fucking hard and the battles felt good. Unfortunately 4v4 never worked for me during the alpha.

What I'm talking about is modes where it's pure pvp, no AI soldiers, rather just real players all fighting on teams vs other real players on the enemy team.

I don't think that'd be too "cluttered" with just like 8 vs 8 or so.

Klyka

Banned
What I'm talking about is modes where it's pure pvp, no AI soldiers, rather just real players all fighting on teams vs other real players on the enemy team.

Oh those modes are in on release though!

4vs4 Teamdeathmatch and 4vs4 "Elimination"

Not AI soldiers in those.

Dominion is actually the only mode with AI soldiers.

Oh btw, did I mention your attack bounce off of the environment like in Dark Souls so you need to watch your positioning and can pressure your enemy into fighting in a place where his large weapon is not properly useable? :D

Yup that one I noticed, as well as the friendly fire.

Evolved1

Maybe on PC but I doubt consoles could do it.

I'm really glad that the Classes are not pre-fixed. I'm so so sick of Hero Shooters and the like having you not able to customize the looks of the characters. It's great that you can change anything in For honor, from skin tone, tattoos, gender, armors, emblems, whatever.

I wish there was higher player count than 4 vs 4, but maybe it will come later?

Evolved1

This is a little off topic, but I've been thinking that Ubisoft is sitting on a potential blockbuster if they leverage "art of battle" from For Honor and integrate it into the rumored pirate game.

It could be branded something of a spin-off.

Black Flag was well received, and there was a pretty loud call for another pirate game. But what was BF's main complaints? People said all the AC stuff was annoying baggage, and that the combat sucked. Hmmm... so how about dropping the AC stuff altogether and leveraging art of battle?

It kinda makes sense. Vikings, Samurai, Knights.... aren't Pirates kind of up there as an iconic faction? They don't fit in the For Honor lore, or belong in the game proper, but as a spin-off it's quite amusing. They could drop all the parkour and assassin missions, and instead flesh out the ship combat and piracy stuff. (Black Flag was pretty shallow in most ways) And then pit pirates against the royal navy, military, etc. And a spin-off off would let them wholesale rip off the battle system. Imagine the already cool ship battles, boarding another ship, and actually having it culminate with good combat, specifically designed around duels.

For Honor Among Thieves
For Honor: Men-O-War (srry, sexist)
Not For Honor

Okay whatever I'm bad at titles, but the idea is interesting. I bet it'd sell.

Here's some B roll footage of the developers playing that I believe is more indicative of what the game will look like in skilled hands. Also, some Gamescom attendees captured 1v1 footage but aren't permitted to release it until September.

Artdayne

Yeah the combat system has a lot of depth, a lot of people were really skeptical of it after the E3 demo. I've been following this game closely since reveal and even I didn't know about the stamina mechanic though. A lot of people were throwing around Ryse comparisons with this game which is so laughably off-base.

I'm really glad that the Classes are not pre-fixed. I'm so so sick of Hero Shooters and the like having you not able to customize the looks of the characters. It's great that you can change anything in For honor, from skin tone, tattoos, gender, armors, emblems, whatever.

I wish there was higher player count than 4 vs 4, but maybe it will come later?

From the impressions we've been getting here and elsewhere, the game is at its best in 1v1 duels. Having chaotic melees with a ton of players probably isn't playing to the game's strengths

Klyka

Banned
Here's some B roll footage of the developers playing that I believe is more indicative of what the game will look like in skilled hands. Also, some Gamescom attendees captured 1v1 footage but aren't permitted to release it until September.

yeah,whoever is playing there, some of them absolutely know how to play

https://youtu.be/oRgeVKAiHe8?t=68
This moment right here shows you guys exactly how the multi enemy blocking system and the revenge system can help you win a 1vs2

https://youtu.be/oRgeVKAiHe8?t=117
Here you can see him refill his health with an execution and then he deflects the knight,uses an orochi only counter-on-deflect move, then feints an attack and hits him where he isn't guarding.

atr0cious

I'm trying my hardest to not say I need this game, but I fucking need this game.

Is there some kind of visual cue for guard breaking? All the videos start mid charge. That's my only qualm with the mechanics, everything else looks beautiful, and I'm already thinking about 2v2 strategies.

Klyka

Banned
I'm trying my hardest to not say I need this game, but I fucking need this game.

Is there some kind of visual cue for guard breaking? All the videos start mid charge. That's my only qualm with the mechanics, everything else looks beautiful, and I'm already thinking about 2v2 strategies.

Yes,a half broken shield appears on the enemy and if you press your guardbreak while the icon is up, you will counter their guardbreak.
You can briefly see it here https://youtu.be/aeUr_a-97Lc?t=118

After a guardbreak,you will have a small window for a light attack (or light attack combo,like the left/right light attack of the warden) or you can press guardbreak again and hold into a direction and your character will grab the enemy and push him into the held direction. With this you can instantly kill people by throwing them into pits or unto spiked walls or you can push them into fires which sets them ablaze for a bit, dealing DoT damage.

The Raider has a special throw if you hold down guardbreak (he can also do this out of a sprint) where he pick up the enemy over his shoulder and can run a couple of steps with them before throwing them on their ass.

Oh, and if you are out of stamina and get thrown,you land on your butt.

Also, here is new footage of a player being guided by a dev/team member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HPz7oRq7q4

The player is using the dev only armor here on his kensei.
So,yeah,the devs have their own armor with the ubisoft logo on it so if you ever see someone like that online, you are fighting a dev :D

atr0cious

Yes,a half broken shield appears on the enemy and if you press your guardbreak while the icon is up, you will counter their guardbreak.
You can briefly see it here https://youtu.be/aeUr_a-97Lc?t=118

After a guardbreak,you will have a small window for a light attack (or light attack combo,like the left/right light attack of the warden) or you can press guardbreak again and hold into a direction and your character will grab the enemy and push him into the held direction. With this you can instantly kill people by throwing them into pits or unto spiked walls or you can push them into fires which sets them ablaze for a bit, dealing DoT damage.

The Raider has a special throw if you hold down guardbreak (he can also do this out of a sprint) where he pick up the enemy over his shoulder and can run a couple of steps with them before throwing them on their ass.

Oh, and if you are out of stamina and get thrown,you land on your butt.

Also, here is new footage of a player being guided by a dev/team member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HPz7oRq7q4

The player is using the dev only armor here on his kensei.
So,yeah,the devs have their own armor with the ubisoft logo on it so if you ever see someone like that online, you are fighting a dev :D
Okay, that's pretty generous timing. Does every class have the same timing, or is it a class variable?

Got about half way into that video and had to turn it off, hyped too much. I'm planning out steam controller bindings and strategies, and I know the game is half a year away, at least. I'm just gonna black out on this game till I've got a serial key.

Klyka

Banned
Okay, that's pretty generous timing. Does every class have the same timing, or is it a class variable?

Got about half way into that video and had to turn it off, hyped too much. I'm planning out steam controller bindings and strategies, and I know the game is half a year away, at least. I'm just gonna black out on this game till I've got a serial key.

The timing is not as generous as you think. It's very much about anticipating the guardbreak as well. Also, guardbreak can't interrupt attack,so if you think a guardbreak is coming,you can throw a light or a heavy attack and he will shoulderbump into you while you smack your weapon into him.

For the normal guardbreak,every class has the same timing, but there are classes that have special shoulder or shield bashes like the Warden or the Conqueror.
Those need to be attacked or dodged and can't be counter bashed.

Top Bottom