• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New "For Honor" Gamescom gameplay, classes, and all Gamescom info in general

Klyka

Banned
Apparently a lot of the people who got to play the game at Gamescom got to record 1vs1 footage but are not allowed to show it till September.

I hope the proper Alpha will not be under NDA because if I get in (which I really hope I can manage) I really want to not just stream the game but I also want to try and get a "NeoGAF For Honor Tournament" going that weekend where we fight 1vs1 and crown a champion :D

Apparently a lot of the people who got to play the game at Gamescom got to record 1vs1 footage but are not allowed to show it till September.

I hope the proper Alpha will not be under NDA because if I get in (which I really hope I can manage) I really want to not just stream the game but I also want to try and get a "NeoGAF For Honor Tournament" going that weekend where we fight 1vs1 and crown a champion :D
If you get in drag some of your GAFbros in with you, lol.

Oh that would be cool as hell, Count me in if I happen to get in the alpha.

Another long interview with Game Designer Bio-Jade Adam Granger at Gamescom
https://youtu.be/9zAsk983y5Y?t=209
Some highlights from Bio:
  • She reiterates that three classes are male, three are female, and six can be either.
  • Campaign and multiplayer can both be played co-op online on all platforms (and split screen on console).
  • All multiplayer modes can be played against AI (great news for those of you who don't want to play online).

drotahorror

When this was announced last year it was introduced as an MP only title right? Or did I just think it was? Not saying adding a campaign is bad or anything, I'm totally down. I just didn't expect it.

Are classes weapons fixed? Does Vikings needs to use axes, or will each class have a subset of various weapons (swords, naginata, spears, shields, broadswords) and the like?

Some highlights from Bio:
  • All multiplayer modes can be played against AI (great news for those of you who don't want to play online).

Very nice! I don't know how much time I can dedicate to online play, but I'm glad that you can play all the modes against the AI!

Also, this will be great for just general practice.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Are classes weapons fixed? Does Vikings needs to use axes, or will each class have a subset of various weapons (swords, naginata, spears, shields, broadswords) and the like?

Not all Vikings weapons are axes, but each Heroes weapon is fixed. That said, there are tons and tons of customization options per weapon.

Klyka

Banned

You can't change what weapon a class uses, only what it looks like.

each class is basically a master in that weapon type.

Machina

Banned
Used the money I had in my steam wallet from cancelling my NMS preorder to get this one. Deluxe Edition costs the same as standard right now so that was a win. This one looks awesome for early February to partner Persona.

this game looks and sounds better every time we see it. leaning towards a day 1 buy now, that split screen and co-op info is hype

Ashtar

My wife started playing games with me again I wonder if she'll enjoy this..... Split screen co op is just so good

atr0cious

My wife started playing games with me again I wonder if she'll enjoy this..... Split screen co op is just so good
Do it. The controls don't look too convoluted, and 2v2 with your life partner sounds like fun. I've already been showing mine the videos and telling her how cool it will be when we're watching each other's backs while slicing up the enemy.

HiiiLife

2017 needs to hurry. I honestly feel this game is gonna be tied with Siege and Overwatch for most refreshing MP this generation.

Linkyn

I was able to play the campaign for a bit at Gamescom (I have to give credit to Ubisoft for making it very clear where you had to queue for single / multiplayer). It's a lot of fun, even though it's hard to properly assess the combat in a toned-down demo (I basically played the first mission, so I remain optimistic). At worst, I'm thinking it should be possible to lower the difficulty and just play it as a glorified hack 'n slash, but it definitely has the potential to be quite tense (especially in multiplayer). I'm really glad I tried it, because I was a bit sceptical (albeit intrigued) before, and now it's pretty much a definite purchase for me.

HiiiLife

Klyka any idea how many executions there are per character? I kind assumed each class has their own but are there different executions when pressed from different angles?

Atkison04

I was overlooking this game and pretty much wrote it off. Actually watched some youtube videos over the weekend and completely changed my mind. Honestly that best of gamescon thread made me take notice. The game looks great. Good job with all the updates and info on this thread :)

SomTervo

I didn't realise this would have split screen.

Just went from 'Probably buy' to 'Definitely buy'.

Fuck yes.

Very nice! I don't know how much time I can dedicate to online play, but I'm glad that you can play all the modes against the AI!

Also, this will be great for just general practice.

The AI bots are insanely fucking good, too.

2017 needs to hurry. I honestly feel this game is gonna be tied with Siege and Overwatch for most refreshing MP this generation.

Yep. Another cool thing is that the menu structure for the game is almost exactly the same as Siege's. Easily select modes, unlock warriors just like Operators, customise, etc.

They're fucking nailing it right now.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Klyka any idea how many executions there are per character? I kind assumed each class has their own but are there different executions when pressed from different angles?

From what I've seen, there seems to be two different executions per class, each activated with a different button.

Gaining exp might also give you the opportunity to unlock new executions further down the road, at least that's what I hope, cause having only 2 executions per character seems a bit barebone.

Klyka

Banned

I am not sure. At Gamescom there were 2 executions per class, but apparently you can unlock more via ingame currency

HiiiLife

From what I've seen, there seems to be two different executions per class, each activated with a different button.

I am not sure. At Gamescom there were 2 executions per class, but apparently you can unlock more via ingame currency

There are supposedly going to be unlockable executions which I would assume you could swap in and out for the two defaults.

I think so, I had two options in the Gamescom demo. Both looked cool, the animation is indeed stunning.

Sweet. February is so far away. I honestly can't wait to use the Samurai and fuck shit up with my buddies online.

Klyka

Banned
Sweet. February is so far away. I honestly can't wait to use the Samurai and fuck shit up with my buddies online.

It's actually pretty crazy the game is still in development till February.
From what I played so far they could throw it out there like next month and it would work.
Obviously no idea how much actual content is done.

I also really really hope they are going with the Rainbow Six Siege way of Season Pass, DLC and microtransactions.

Everything I have seen of the game points to it,but it doesn't mean they actually will.

I also think that doing something like the RS6 Siege "Starter Edition" or the Black Ops 3 "Multiplayer Edition" could work for this game.
So like, a cheaper edition that only has the multiplayer in it or even one that is Single Player only.

really excited for this game, such a refreshing change of pace from the typical AAA multiplayer fare.

curious to see how latency might affect hit registration et al, but i'll have a hard time caring while swinging my forged weapons like a mad viking on the online battlefield.

HiiiLife

I really have to see this in person because it looks like the left up middle timing is generous.

Unless my eyes decieve me.

Klyka

Banned
I really have to see this in person because it looks like the left up middle timing is generous.

Unless my eyes decieve me.

What exactly do you mean? I might be able to shed light on it.

really excited for this game, such a refreshing change of pace from the typical AAA multiplayer fare.

curious to see how latency might affect hit registration et al, but i'll have a hard time caring while swinging my forged weapons like a mad viking on the online battlefield.

latency is something I have worried about as well

the devs did not respond to my "dedicated servers?" questions which is...unfortunate.

The last thing I want is host advantage in a 1v1 duel

HiiiLife

What exactly do you mean? I might be able to shed light on it.

latency is something I have worried about as well

the devs did not respond to my "dedicated servers?" questions which is...unfortunate.

The last thing I want is host advantage in a 1v1 duel

Like I'm watching these dudes miss the button prompts? I imagine when a side turns red is when you gotta flick your thumbstick towards it to block?

Idk. Maybe I'm missing something lol.

Klyka

Banned
Like I'm watching these dudes miss the button prompts? I imagine when a side turns red is when you gotta flick your thumbstick towards it to block?

Idk. Maybe I'm missing something lol.

Haha, ah ok

Well so yeah when you see the red, if you move your guard over there it will block.
If you move your guard over there and press "heavy attack" at the time his red marker blinks, you will parry. if you miss the parry, his attack goes through.

What you are seeing in the gameplay, is people basically not trying to block at all or being super slow at it and everyone just wildly spamming attacks.

The moment you have even a bit of practice with the game, a guy who wildly swings against you will be blocked/parried and run out of stamina super quickly.

HiiiLife

Haha, ah ok

Well so yeah when you see the red, if you move your guard over there it will block.
If you move your guard over there and press "heavy attack" at the time his red marker blinks, you will parry. if you miss the parry, his attack goes through.

What you are seeing in the gameplay, is people basically not trying to block at all or being super slow at it and everyone just wildly spamming attacks.

The moment you have even a bit of practice with the game, a guy who wildly swings against you will be blocked/parried and run out of stamina super quickly.

Any idea if one of the meters a stamina bar? Seems like an obvious addition to this game, having to swing / block takes stamina, along with the whole rock paper scissor should be fun. Maybe the YouTube compression made the red prompts seem slower than they actually are when playing but I couldn't help but be like "flick left you fool!" Lol.

Edit: just saw you mentioned stamina. Duh. Cool.

Klyka

Banned
Any idea if one of the meters a stamina bar? Seems like an obvious addition to this game, having to swing / block takes stamina, along with the whole rock paper scissor should be fun. Maybe the YouTube compression made the red prompts seem slower than they actually are when playing but I couldn't help but be like "flick left you fool!" Lol.

There stamina bar is the bar directly under your/the enemies health bar :)

Right here https://youtu.be/YJGREgyaUbM?t=59 you can see what it's like when your stamina runs out.
The bar slowly fills up,your screen goes black and white, your attacks go super slow and you can't sprint anymore.

And yeah, people in these vids are....not very good at responding to a literal "press into direction" button prompt.
Don't ask me why.
I never put much faith into big youtubers/streamers really XD

HiiiLife

Well...as long as the parry window isn't as crazy as it was in Souls games, I'll be fine. Cause lord knows I never got the hang of parrying in that series.

Klyka

Banned
Well...as long as the parry window isn't as crazy as it was in Souls games, I'll be fine. Cause lord knows I never got the hang of parrying in that series.

If you look at the footage, any time the red attack marker starts flashing, that is your attack window.
It is small,but not too small.

Inspector Q

Nah, it's not too bad once you practice a bit. Some classes have unblockable attacks that you will need to either dodge or parry since they will go through your guard if you just stand there. The unblockables generally have a slower animation, though, and once you get the timing down you should be able to parry them pretty consistently.

And yeah, I get that this is the first time a lot of these guys have been able to play the game, but man....at least try to block, lol.

HiiiLife

If you look at the footage, any time the red attack marker starts flashing, that is your attack window.
It is small,but not too small.

Nah, it's not too bad once you practice a bit. Some classes have unblockable attacks that you will need to either dodge or parry since they will go through your guard if you just stand there. The unblockables generally have a slower animation, though, and once you get the timing down you should be able to parry them pretty consistently.

And yeah, I get that this is the first time a lot of these guys have been able to play the game, but man....at least try to block, lol.

I'm so excited for this man. I registered for the alpha so I hope I get an inv.

Especially after all the caping I've done for Siege on this forum. I've done my part Ubi lol.

Also, I hope they implement a ranking system because I can't wait to get stuck in the Gold tier vortex just like I have been in R6 for...well we're coming up to December in a bit, so a year now.

Inspector Q

I'm so excited for this man. I registered for the alpha so I hope I get an inv.

Especially after all the caping I've done for Siege on this forum. I've done my part Ubi lol.

Also, I hope they implement a ranking system because I can't wait to get stuck in the Gold tier vortex just like I have been in R6 for...well we're coming up to December in a bit, so a year now.

Yeah, I wonder how the ranking system is going to work. You'd have to imagine that there needs to be one, right? It hasn't really been mentioned much, though.

The progression we have seen and heard about is more about your rank as each individual class. So you could say be a Prestige 3, Level 10 Orochi, but your Warden would still be Level 1 if you haven't used it yet.

There would have to be an overall rank, right? Otherwise top tier players could just switch to a class they haven't played and just trash new players, lol.

Then again, I am assuming there is a Ranked playlist, but I haven't heard anything about it yet.

Klyka

Banned
Yeah, I wonder how the ranking system is going to work. You'd have to imagine that there needs to be one, right? It hasn't really been mentioned much, though.

The progression we have seen and heard about is more about your rank as each individual class. So you could say be a Prestige 3, Level 10 Orochi, but your Warden would still be Level 1 if you haven't used it yet.

There would have to be an overall rank, right? Otherwise top tier players could just switch to a class they haven't played and just trash new players, lol.

Then again, I am assuming there is a Ranked playlist, but I haven't heard anything about it yet.

There has been no talk about any ranked mode so people are assuming there is none.

We'll have to wait and see!

Top Bottom