• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New "For Honor" Gamescom gameplay, classes, and all Gamescom info in general

Inspector Q

There has been no talk about any ranked mode so people are assuming there is none.

We'll have to wait and see!

Yeah, I am not sure the lack of a ranked mode would even bother me, personally. I do like the individual progression for each class, as that should add some longevity to the game.

I wonder if they will have any matchmaking algorithms based on Class Rank or not. I almost want the queues to be completely random, lol.

The only thing that I would like is a solo queue list, but I am not sure that is a possibility. A completely random solo queue would be perfect for me, but that might not be realistic. Sometimes it could affect the health of the game if you split the player base between too many queues.

We will see, I guess.

Klyka

Banned
Yeah, I am not sure that would even bother me, personally. I do like the individual progression for each class, as that should add some longevity to the game.

I wonder if they will have any matchmaking algorithms based on Class Rank or not. I almost want the queues to be completely random, lol.

The only thing that I would like is a solo queue list, but I am not sure that is a possibility. A completely random solo queue would be perfect for me, but that might not be realistic. Sometimes it could affect the health of the game if you split the player base between too many queues.

We will see, I guess.

Well I know there is a "gear score" in the game that factors into matchmaking so I think the class level might as well?

They also have the chance to loot armor and weapon parts on the battlefield, with specific stats allowing each player to adapt their gear to their playstyle while ensuring fairness and balance in multiplayer.

Loot does the exact opposite of ensuring fairness and balance in multiplayer. Maybe it will work out fine, but they're definitely making it harder for themselves.

Klyka

Banned
Loot does the exact opposite of ensuring fairness and balance in multiplayer. Maybe it will work out fine, but they're definitely making it harder for themselves.

The loot isn't upgrade, it's more specializing.
If your blade has higher attack stat for example, all other stats like stamina use, stamina reduction or block absorbtion will be lower on it.

So you can build your character in certain directions if you want, to suit your playstyle, but you will never outright have better stats than someone else.

drotahorror

If your blade has higher attack stat for example, all other stats like stamina use, stamina reduction or block absorbtion will be lower on it.

So you can build your character in certain directions if you want, to suit your playstyle, but you will never outright have better stats than someone else.

Interesting way to of doing things. I normally don't like that but if it leaves everyone fighting on even terms, I'm down. There really shouldn't be a power creep in a competitive MP game.

SomTervo

Like I'm watching these dudes miss the button prompts? I imagine when a side turns red is when you gotta flick your thumbstick towards it to block?

Idk. Maybe I'm missing something lol.

It's not a 'timing' or a 'flick' - you just hold the stick in that direction. Each direction you hold the stick in is where you're holding your guard.

The parry window seems perfect, as noted by Klyka.

I think so, I had two options in the Gamescom demo. Both looked cool, the animation is indeed stunning.

Honestly, it's insane. I remember even the first moment of playing the thing I couldn't believe how amazing the movement animations looked, literally just pushing a stick. It's perfect.

Interesting way to of doing things. I normally don't like that but if it leaves everyone fighting on even terms, I'm down. There really shouldn't be a power creep in a competitive MP game.

As Klyka said, it's not like having lots of unique weapons that each have unique properties. The 'loot' just adds minor buffs to different stats. Imagine PvP in Dark Souls where two players have identical swords but one is +5 lightning and one is +5 fire, or something. You'll choose different ones depending on your class/character and also you'll consistently be getting new/different ones so changing them about.

From what I've played the game is so well balanced that you can do great without any loot items installed at all.

The Alpha runs from September 15th till the 18th.

Do you know if we automatically get access to the Alpha if we played in the previous one? Is it invite-only, or is it open?

The questions!!!

I can't wait!!!

Klyka

Banned
As Klyka said, it's not like having lots of unique weapons that each have unique properties. The 'loot' just adds minor buffs to different stats. Imagine PvP in Dark Souls where two players have identical swords but one is +5 lightning and one is +5 fire, or something. You'll choose different ones depending on your class/character and also you'll consistently be getting new/different ones so changing them about.

From what I've played the game is so well balanced that you can do great without any loot items installed at all.

Do you know if we automatically get access to the Alpha if we played in the previous one? Is it invite-only, or is it open?

The questions!!!

I can't wait!!!

My example would be, you have a guy in Dark Souls who uses his shield a lot and is very defensive, so he increases his "block absorbtion" and "max stamina" so he can turtle, but he loses out on damage per swing. While the other guy loves to dodge and quickly attack before jumping back, so he focuses on "attack damage" and "dodge speed" but loses big time on defense and blocking.

I couldn't find any info yet about the actual Alpha and how it'll be done.
We'll have to wait till Ubi releases more info closer to it starting.

I do hope it'll be an open Alpha and not invite only. I want as many people as possible to try it out :D

SomTervo

My example would be, you have a guy in Dark Souls who uses his shield a lot and is very defensive, so he increases his "block absorbtion" and "max stamina" so he can turtle, but he loses out on damage per swing. While the other guy loves to dodge and quickly attack before jumping back, so he focuses on "attack damage" and "dodge speed" but loses big time on defense and blocking.

Also a good parallel. I just couldn't think of how people could buff specific stats in a Souls game :p

I couldn't find any info yet about the actual Alpha and how it'll be done.
We'll have to wait till Ubi releases more info closer to it starting.

I do hope it'll be an open Alpha and not invite only. I want as many people as possible to try it out :D

Same here - although I'm worried about connectivity/stable servers! I never got into a single 4v4 game in the first Alpha.

Klyka

Banned
Also a good parallel. I just couldn't think of how people could buff specific stats in a Souls game :p

Same here - although I'm worried about connectivity/stable servers! I never got into a single 4v4 game in the first Alpha.

Really? I had some problems but it definitely got better over the weekend.
Let's hope they learned from that ;D

Still trying to find footage of actual good players, but alas :(

Meanwhile here are 35 min from Polygon and the Raider actually PARRIES AN ENEMY :O
https://youtu.be/pTZWASv-fmk?t=31

He also actually blocks and uses emotes :O Polygon, you're doing this!

SomTervo

Really? I had some problems but it definitely got better over the weekend.
Let's hope they learned from that ;D

Still trying to find footage of actual good players, but alas :(

Meanwhile here are 35 min from Polygon and the Raider actually PARRIES AN ENEMY :O
https://youtu.be/pTZWASv-fmk?t=31

He also actually blocks and uses emotes :O Polygon, you're doing this!

Yeah, seems to sort of actually know what he's doing!

I only got to play pre-weekend :( was away for the weekend after it started.

Klyka

Banned
Yeah, seems to sort of actually know what he's doing!

I only got to play pre-weekend :( was away for the weekend after it started.

I love that mostly blocking is just non existent.
Like, people literally just push the attack button at all times, even when their stamina is empty
It was actually quite funny at gamescom, cause a team member would come to you and try and give you some tips and I was all "I know I am not allowed to talk about it, but i MAY have played this before *wink wink*" and he saw me parrying and killing people and was all "I understand" with a hand on my shoulder and walked on XD

Klyka

Banned
Pretty sure this one is going to be a closed one as they tell everyone to register for it. If it was open, what would be the point of it ?

Well,I mean open as in like, people who registered all get in.
Not like before where barely anyone actually got an invite.

Well,I mean open as in like, people who registered all get in.
Not like before where barely anyone actually got an invite.

Oh okay ! Yeah, that would be nice.
But I guess they have budgets on their servers and can't accept everyone that signed up :(.

I too really like the fact that factions are not locked. Samurai and Knights can be on the same team. I think this is a great gameplay philosophy, as it will also make it easier to expand with a new faction. It seems the four classes / archertypes are universal. You got a stealthy, tank, jack-of-all-trades and a mix of offense and defense, and that probably covers it.

So if they add a Spartan faction, or a Indian faction or a Pirate faction, it should be pretty straight forward. 4 new characters (8 character models M/F) all with their own moveset and progression. I can see there being a good potential to make it a core experience of For Honor to do progression on all the characters.
I know already I will be a Knight Vanguard and try and progress that character as far as I can, but if the game hooks me, I will probably try to get high level of all the 12 characters.
If the developers can make incentive; Great cosmetic unlocks, achievements and more tools- Like more victory poses/taunts/execution animations, that would be spectacular.

I think the game has potential to be a bigger e-sport hit than other melee online games if they can make a spectator mode that is really inviting. I remember in Jedi Knight, it was fun to spectate people dueling 1 vs 1 because everyone gathered around in a circle, and because it was possible to Duel someone on a map in other game modes.

In some spectator modes you feel like an invisible ghost, and there is little interesting going on with the lack of camera controlls. Some spectators mode don't lend themselves well for the spectating players being able to express themselves. In-game betting for in-game currency is a fun way to make it more fun to spectate I think.
I also think the developers should take a page out of Chivalry's launch marketing. Chivalry, had many of the biggest gaming youtubers play Chivalry against each other during the launch period, and It really made it popular seeing so many well known youtubers interacing and fighting with and against each other.

What I really like about this game is that it's not a Hero Shooter. I'm not just playing Genji with one of 5 skins, and that is it. You actually make your own character and can change their gender, skin color, armor, emblems, tattoos and everything, so it's almost like an RPG. And you can then play with your friends who play other factions.
And since there are 12 characters with their own progression systems, you get the chance and incentive to level and progress all those.

Right now my worries are;

1) Dominion sounds like the A.I actually have a purpose, but the gameplay we've seen makes me feel that the A.I is annoying. With a skilled player will you be able to 1-one-strike AIs? I hope there will be a level of skill mastery. Where a beginner will be bad at breaking the block of the A.I, or dodge/counter the attacks and thus take longer time to kill a simple foot soldier, a skilled player should be able to do an epic one-shot against a mere simple A.I because these A.I seem to slow the game down.

And maybe that's the point. I really hope they take a page out of Tower Defense style gameplay and realize that there is a lot of gameplay in manipulating/helping/killing/assisting/increasing/obstructing A.I for doing what they want to do.
A.I has the potential to make natural chokepoints in a map, but A.I can also make gameplay stale and redundant of said A.I is always behaving in a simplistic manner.

2) Blocking seems very powerful. I hope the game will not reward players just holding the block button. I hope there will be ways to break a block. A low foot sweep, knee kick, headbutt, pummel strike, uppercut < Some sort of way, to break a defensive players guard who is just stalling for time.

The problem as I see it, is if you make blocking too powerful you end up with an assassins creed situation where you simple hold down the block button until the finishing attack animation of the enemy has transpired. It reduces the combat to only timing and not much else, and that makes it boring.

3) I'm getting a bit sick of the maps shown. They short of get old quick aesthetically. It would be great if they added a day/night cycle, or allowed the maps to be played at different times a day and in different seasons. The Samurai Castle would look really cool in spring with cherry blossoms and nice sunset. It would be that extra touch to the maps that reduce the sensation of repetitiveness, but still seems manageable, because you're talking about the same map layout with the same textures and everything.

4) I really hope they have a good DLC policy. I think the game will be strong if they don't fragment the community. If they introduce a new faction, clearly it will be best if you can play alongside the new characters, even if you cannot play as them yourselves. It's bad form in online games, when half the community play on exclusive areas that splits the community in two.

5) I think they should build on For Honor, instead of prepping up a for honor 2 in 3-4 years time or whenever. Just focus and evolve For Honor as a organic experience. Historical Fantasy allows them to add countless factions, periods and just introduce cool warrior cultures throughout history without thinking about the consequences of historical inadequacies.
I feel the developers struck gold with this mix of fantasy being inspired by history. I really have hopes for this game!

Inspector Q

@Vigilant Walrus

Hey, great post. I also have high hopes for this game. Just wanted to touch on a couple points real quick.

About the AI in the Dominion game type, right now they are pretty much cannon fodder that you can kill with one shot. It doesn't matter on the Class you are using, if you attack an AI soldier, they will die with one shot. Now some Classes have more sweeping attacks and can actually take out multiple AI soldiers with one swing of their weapon. If you are there alone, you can easily take down all the soldiers yourself and push "The Front" forward so that your soldiers claim it for your team.

The only thing you need to worry about is that if you get too far out in front of your own troops and let the enemy troops surround you, they will whittle your health down fairly quickly. You will still take them down, but you might be left with 50% or less health.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that there is a move that all Classes can use called a "Guard Break". It's linked to the Square button (X on Xone) and when you press it, your character will do a short range move that breaks your opponent's guard and leaves them vulnerable to a follow up. An opponent can counter a Guard Break by hitting the Guard Break button themselves, but there is much less time to react to a Guard Break as opposed to a normal attack.

If you do land a Guard Break on your opponent, they will go into a short stun animation and you can follow it up with either an attack, or a 'Throw'. A Throw is initiated by hitting the Guard Break button again while they are in the stun animation. You can also decide which direction to throw them in by holding down a direction (if I recall correctly) on the left analogue stick. You can use this to throw them into spikes or off a cliff. If you throw them into a normal wall, they will be stunned for a decent amount of time and this can usually be followed up with a free Heavy Attack for some good damage.

Hopefully that will help with people who decide to block all the time, though if they have epic reflexes, they could still theoretically counter all of your Guard Break attempts...

One last thing I wanted to mention was that unfortunately, the last six classes do not let you choose your gender at this current time. There is a thread about it on the official forums so I would leave feedback there if this matters to you. Hopefully we can get that changed. That was completely out of left field as everything leading up to Gamescom lead me to believe we would have full male/female options for every class.

Personally, I need to know if all future classes will have male/female options before I commit to buying the Season Pass, at the very least.

Either way, the game looks and plays great. Should be fun messing around with the Alpha next month.

Is it wrong to call dominion mode the Moba mode? I mean you got creeps and shit and you're trying to push your creep to take over the objectives easier :p

Klyka

Banned
Is it wrong to call dominion mode the Moba mode? I mean you got creeps and shit and you're trying to push your creep to take over the objectives easier :p

Well, it is a little wrong maybe?
Dominion is a capture point mode. The normal soldiers are basically just adding flavor to point B which is "the front" and gives twice as many points as A or C.
I mean, I guess you do level up your character 4 times to unlock the feats, but that's really it. It's really all about capturing and holding the points. If you stand on point A or C you actually "boost" them and they now give two points per second instead of just one.

Also,when you capture a point,not only does your team gain 100 points,but the enemy team actually loses 100 points as well. This allows you to rally your team when it's breaking for example, because a team needs to have 1000 points to break the other team.
And both teams can be broken at the same time as well!

Loomba

I registered for the alpha, hope I get in. I'd love to try it out.

I was watching a German guy play it and it and he was very good. It made the game look much better than other videos.

I hope they add more "executions", it seems like there is only 1 per character atm

Klyka

Banned
I registered for the alpha, hope I get in. I'd love to try it out.

I was watching a German guy play it and it and he was very good. It made the game look much better than other videos.

I hope they add more "executions", it seems like there is only 1 per character atm

There are 2 per character and you can unlock more. You can only map two of them to buttons though.

Do you have a link to the guy you watched?

I finally found a video that has a 1v1 duel without interruption.
https://youtu.be/v_STZknjGi8?t=102
It's obviously two new players, but there IS blocking! and it's quite a close duel.

Saying the loot are sidgrades is really easy. Actually balancing it that way is impossible. Countless games have tried, but there's always an ideal weapon/item that outperforms the others.

But let's assume that the sidegrades are balanced perfectly. Having the sidegrade that is appropriate for your playstyle, or is appropriate for the situation you're facing is an advantage over not having it of course.

Obviously I realise that pretty much every game has loot or weapon unlocks etc. these days. Relative to other games, this stuff may even be pretty minor in For Honor.

Klyka

Banned
Saying the loot are sidgrades is really easy. Actually balancing it that way is impossible. Countless games have tried, but there's always an ideal weapon/item that outperforms the others.

But let's assume that the sidegrades are balanced perfectly. Having the sidegrade that is appropriate for your playstyle, or is appropriate for the situation you're facing is an advantage over not having it of course.

Obviously I realise that pretty much every game has loot or weapon unlocks etc. these days. Relative to other games, this stuff may even be pretty minor in For Honor.

Yeah,I can't tell you how exactly it is going to affect the actual gameplay cause I obviously couldn't do any testing at Gamescom XD

We'll see in the alpha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJGREgyaUbM

Here is the video, the guy only has two For Honor videos but he is very good

Ah, yeah that guy, I actually posted his two videos sometime earlier!

sjay1994

Got to play a lot of the game today. I think the lock on needs a bit of work, because its very difficult to deal with 2 v 1 situations with the current set up of holding L2 and then quickly letting go, making sure your camera is always in view of both attackers.

Another problem is in the B area, where the minions fight, it is very hard to see where your enemies are attacking from.

Asides from those gripes, game is great.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Jason Vanderbeghe and some other surprise peeps are going to be on their Livestream tomorrow, 10am pst at twitch.tv/paxarena

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Will that be archived? I have to work.

Also super pissed about the beta dates. I rarely have to go away for training, but I have a three day swift water rescue class, on the other side of the state, which means hotels... just happens to be the three days of the beta. What are the chances?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Will that be archived? I have to work.

Also super pissed about the beta dates. I rarely have to go away for training, but I have a three day swift water rescue class, on the other side of the state, which means hotels... just happens to be the three days of the beta. What are the chances?

Yea no doubt, these things always end up being archived. Still should be a dope live show tho

atr0cious

It was decent fresh gameplay, but the players were still visibly new to the game. That one dev b roll had more meat to it than this, though this was appreciated.

Really, I'm just jealous I don't have the game in my hands yet.

Top Bottom