• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New "For Honor" Gamescom gameplay, classes, and all Gamescom info in general

ps3ud0

So the whole MP, is it just TDM-like or are there other modes? I was hoping for a lot of co-op stuff when I first heard about this game. Well that and the massive Bushido Blade vibe I get from its combat...

ps3ud0 8)

Klyka

Banned
For people wondering "What are those useless AI soldiers even there for":

So,not only do they obviously give some sense of a big battle but the part of the map where they fight is called "The Front" and it is capture point "B".
You need to help your forces push over the enemies line to capture "B". That point gives twice as many points as "A" or "C", so holding it is quite important.
Also killing soldiers gives you one score for your team per kill and gives your hero renown (certain classes like Vanguards get bonus renown from soldier kills) that levels him up.
The soldiers also attack your character. They can NOT be blocked but do very small damage, they can however interrupt you,so fighting another hero while surrounded by his soldiers is a bad idea.

So the whole MP, is it just TDM-like or are there other modes? I was hoping for a lot of co-op stuff when I first heard about this game. Well that and the massive Bushido Blade vibe I get from its combat...

The modes so far are 1vs1 duel, 2vs2 brawl (which is 2 1v1 duels starting at the same time on a connected map so you can abandon your duel/finish it and run to help/watch your friend) and the 4vs4 capture point dominion mode.
Further modes have not been shown.
You can play every single mode against AI and you can play with your friends against the AI.

Klyka

Banned
Knights looking nice.

Some of the gameplay shows all three factions represented on one team. Is this how the final game will play or just something special for the demo?

The teams in multiplayer are not faction locked or class locked.
You can have any amount of the same class from any faction in your team or the enemy team.

Decado

Maybe interested if it has a great single player campaign. Online only if there is cross play.

That being said...combat looks cartoony. Poor blood effects. Would expect some form of real-time model damage in a game like this, this gen.

Klyka

Banned
Maybe interested if it has a great single player campaign. Online only if there is cross play.

That being said...combat looks cartoony. Poor blood effects. Would expect some form of real-time model damage in a game like this, this gen.

There IS real time model damage. Your armor get ruptured and punctured and there is blood on you. Your helmet gets dents and holes. Stuff like that.
You actually look pretty damn beaten up after a match usually.

The game has decapitations and swords into throats with blood shooting out,but it is not going insanely brutal because they want to keep the age rating in check.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
The teams in multiplayer are not faction locked or class locked.
You can have any amount of the same class from any faction in your team or the enemy team.

Hmm, that's a tad disappointing. Seems silly to me to have a factional mish-mash like that. Hopefully there's a mode added where the teams are locked to one faction.

Klyka

Banned
Hmm, that's a tad disappointing. Seems silly to me to have a factional mish-mash like that. Hopefully there's a mode added where the teams are locked to one faction.

Could be! I haven't heard anything about it.
The multiplayer isn't really supposed to be "lore locked"

I've been hyped for this since E3 2015 and becoming moreso every time Ubisoft shows new footage. Seeing the differences in classes and the 1v1 duel modes is awesome. Can't wait!

Klyka

Banned
Oh and you can also revive your teammates when they are down.
But if you last hit someone with a heavy attack,you can choose to execute them. This gives you health back and also kills the player completely, meaning they can not be revived.

ps3ud0

The modes so far are 1vs1 duel, 2vs2 brawl (which is 2 1v1 duels starting at the same time on a connected map so you can abandon your duel/finish it and run to help/watch your friend) and the 4vs4 capture point dominion mode.
Further modes have not been shown.
You can play every single mode against AI and you can play with your friends against the AI.
Thank you - I dont think Ive seen any coverage of those except for the 4v4 mode. The 2v2 one sounds different!

ps3ud0 8)

SomTervo

Orochi is the tits.

Nothing better than being the only true counter-attack class in the game and fucking people up.

darthkarki

Thank you - I dont think Ive seen any coverage of those except for the 4v4 mode. The 2v2 one sounds different!

ps3ud0 8)

I think that's because the 4v4 looks more "flashy" and "busy", but holy crap the 1v1 is so intense. I loved the 1v1 and 2v2 WAY more than 4v4, but I don't think that's something you can really *show*, you have to play it.

I love that a 1v1 match doesn't last super long either. It's just three rounds, and depending on the relative skill of each player could be a couple minutes long in total, or over in less than a minute (been on the receiving end of that...). So even if you're sucking, it'll be over quick and you can try a new match against a new opponent. That's big for me, as I hate being stuck in a 30-minute match when the enemy is just wiping the floor with us.

darthkarki

Orochi is the tits.

Nothing better than being the only true counter-attack class in the game and fucking people up.

Yeah, I definitely think the orochi is overpowered at the moment. If you know how to play him well there's pretty much nothing the other person can do. Hopefully they'll balance him a little better before release, as everyone else seems pretty fair so far.

Klyka

Banned
Yeah, I definitely think the orochi is overpowered at the moment. If you know how to play him well there's pretty much nothing the other person can do. Hopefully they'll balance him a little better before release, as everyone else seems pretty fair so far.

He has actually been nerfed quite a bit and is a lot easier to handle.
I have crushed quite a few overconfident Roaches.

The thing against assassins is that you need to be defensive. If you attack them recklessly, they counter you and fuck you up.
You need to play defensive, create an opening and then strike cause they have barely any health.

The Warden worked great against the Orochi cause Orochi has that top attack combo which they love to try but your Warden top attack will block theirs and immediately counter them.

Jarlaxle

I think split screen co-op just sold me on this. Also each class being different sounds great.

Is it just split screen co-op for the single player portion or can you play the multiplayer online stuff split screen as well (I miss this feature from things like Halo 5)?

Klyka

Banned
I think split screen co-op just sold me on this. Also each class being different sounds great.

Is it just split screen co-op for the single player portion or can you play the multiplayer online stuff split screen as well (I miss this feature from things like Halo 5)?

I sadly have not heard anything about split screen multi, sorry.

You know it's a Ubisoft game with the obnoxious UI flashing elements popping up...

And...it's a Ubisoft game...

But...looks interesting and unique. And 2 player SP co-op...color me impressed.

Mutombo

Ditto, I hope they have bots for the 1v1 Duel mode.

Can't wait for the beta, hope I get in.

How one can be excited for a multiplayer game for the single player mode boggles the mind, honestly.

Yes, I know there is a campaign mode. But like all multiplayer games, it's designed to learn you the ropes of how to kick ass at multiplayer.

Again, my mind, it's boggled. I seriously cannot comprehend.

DangerStepp

My only interest in this game is based solely on this guy having something to do with it:

JASON%20VANDENBERGHE_letter_THUMB_211896.jpg

FinKL

All of a sudden I get moba vibes w/ a knight theme.

Will be interesting to watch to scratch the Chivalry vibe

Klyka

Banned
How one can be excited for a multiplayer game for the single player mode boggles the mind, honestly.

Yes, I know there is a campaign mode. But like all multiplayer games, it's designed to learn you the ropes of how to kick ass at multiplayer.

Again, my mind, it's boggled. I seriously cannot comprehend.

Some people just don't like the pressure of facing a human opponent, especially not in a 1vs1.

Also, human opponents will inevitably use "the meta" or glitches/bugs/exploits/cheats which an AI will not.

There are going to be five multiplayer modes.

• Dominion is a 4v4 objective-based mode in which two teams of four players fight for control of the battlefield. It’s a mode that relies upon skill, communication and teamwork.
• Brawl 2v2: Each team of two players need to kill the two enemy Heroes to win a round. Skill, awareness, cooperation and the capacity to use the environment to the player’s advantage are key components.
• Duel 1v1 puts two Heroes face-to-face in a fight to the death. Skill is fundamental in Duel of course, but as in Brawl, players have the possibility to use the environment to their advantage.
• Skirmish is a 4v4 Team Death Match like mode. Combat skills are key in this mode as players score points for their team by killing enemy Heroes.
• Elimination In this 4v4 mode, the last surviving player on the battlefield wins the round for their team.

Klyka

Banned

Just found this on the official site:

For Honor’s multiplayer modes are playable with and against other players or bots in split-screen co-op on consoles. These multiplayer modes offer each player a different way to live the fantasy of being a skilled melee warrior on a believable battlefield:

Tadie

Played it today at Gamescom.

The game looks and feels really good. It's like Ryse with a good fighting mechanic. The fights feel great and the game is able to create some cool athmosphere.

atr0cious

I really want this game. I'm going to be all in on the 2v2 league. Back to back fights sounds epic. I hope they have a hardcore mode with FF on.

jediyoshi

Looks good! The HUD/UI is really bad though.

Really bad. That choice of orange/blue and so many of the elements being opaque and all the floating indicators with how far they're pushed into the screen. The gameplay didn't look like it even warranted a giant circle under enemies (guessing it's the locked-on indicator).

DSZGXjG.png

Belakor

Banned
I really wonder how this game will shape up eventually

More classes upcoming as DLC or expansions for sure though

Klyka

Banned
Really bad. That choice of orange/blue and so many of the elements being opaque and all the floating indicators with how far they're pushed into the screen. The gameplay didn't look like it even warranted a giant circle under enemies (guessing it's the locked-on indicator).

As far as I was told the entire UI is still very much in development.
The game is still in Alpha stages.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
HUD is a very common complaint, since day 1.

I expect they'll have a way to disable the different elements, and they'll iterate through patches... But if it's as I suspect and they launch this game using the (proven successful) R6 Siege model, I wouldn't expect them to split the community by segregating based on HUD options. You'll be able to turn stuff off, but they won't force that on others. They'll save that for custom matches.

I really wonder how this game will shape up eventually

More classes upcoming as DLC or expansions for sure though

Expect the R6 Siege approach. It's popular with the community (and critics) and is proving successful.

atr0cious

The game always has FF on.
It is slightly reduced damage, but in any mode there is FF on.

Also, apparently the collector's edition has 3 1/3 scale full-metal helmets in it o_O
https://youtu.be/-7-netUKjqI?t=29

Okay cool, I couldn't really tell if any damage occurred in the videos, but that's good to know. Having reasons for spacing is a must to make this kind of game fair. I want to bait players into each other.

Do we know what's in the season pass?

Klyka

Banned
Okay cool, I couldn't really tell if any damage occurred in the videos, but that's good to know. Having reasons for spacing is a must to make this kind of game fair. I want to bait players into each other.

You absolutely can and have to when fighting multiple people.
Not only do they hurt each other but they also interrupt each other's attacks.

Top Bottom