• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 3 SP Campaign screenshot

michaeld

Banned
traveler said:
They already have. EGM has the exclusive reveal of that info in their next issue, which should land sometime late July/early August. Others will follow shortly after probably.
Have any editors posted any teasers online?

Good news to hear SOMETHING about Halo Wars. I know they don't want to blow it out yet because Halo 3 is getting all the steam. But I expect Halo Wars will be a Fall 2008 game. Along with Gears 2. Possibly.

And yes, Ghosts of Onyx is probably the best Halo novel yet. That's not to insult the others though. Nylund's a great writer in general.

segarr said:
I felt that the Arbiter was about as good of a character as he could have been....adding another playable character could have completely ruined the game....especially when it's a character that used to be your sworn enemy. But the arbiter had an interesting personality, a cool story, great voice acting (Keith David is the ****), and played close enough to master chief not to change the gameplay much.....I personally want to continue his story in H3.

"If they came to see me beg, they'll be highly disappointed"....****in right!

If only Bungie would release a shot of the elites!

Arbiter > Master Chief.

More personality, better story, totally kickass. If they drop the Arbiter storyline in Halo 3 I'll be disappointed.

I first played the French version of Halo 2, before I played the English, and I have to say it has MUCH better voice acting. Everyone should see it. Arbiter and Cortana were incredible.

Orlics

So.

Do you guys think the Covenant Engineer race will be somewhere in the campaign? The animations for those are sure to be a bitch to implement, so I'm not really counting on it.

Orlics said:
So.

Do you guys think the Covenant Engineer race will be somewhere in the campaign? The animations for those are sure to be a bitch.
I hope so. It sure would be nice touch to see them fixing equipment in some areas.

Orlics said:
So.

Do you guys think the Covenant Engineer race will be somewhere in the campaign? The animations for those are sure to be a bitch to implement, so I'm not really counting on it.

Well they only have tentacles so it wouldn't be too hard for them to be fiddling with equipment. It isn't as if they get involved in combat so the only other animation would be death/deflation.

engineer.jpg

Orlics said:

They do not engage in combat. They simply are...Engineers. So they wouldn't really add anything to the game. That's the reason Bungie cut them from Halo: CE.

Frenck

Banned
AFAIK the Drones are a reworked version of the engineers.

Art of Halo said:
Covenant Drone Engineers: this species can be biomechanically and cybernetically altered to suit specific tasks, other than engineering and maintenance, and that aspect of the creature will be seen in Halo 2, if not the Engineers themselves.

Orlics

ToyMachine228 said:
They do not engage in combat. They simply are...Engineers. So they wouldn't really add anything to the game. That's the reason Bungie cut them from Halo: CE.

It would really add to the atmosphere, though.

Edit: and they COULD be implemented in a way that adds to the combat; like, have them snatch your weapon, and you have to melee them before they disassemble it.

Orlics said:
Edit: and they COULD be implemented in a way that adds to the combat; like, have them snatch your weapon, and you have to melee them before they disassemble it.

That doesn't really fit with the flow of the rest of the game though. Cool idea? Maybe. But it doesn't really fit in Halo.

Chinner

Banned
We're aware of it, check the other H3 related thread (Bungie days thread etc) where its been posted. Looks good but shame we haven't got a summary of it yet.

Frenck

Banned
There is way too much stuff happening between Halo 2 and Halo 3. So I guess the Chief will be fully equipped and runnuing around with a squad of Marines in Africa when the game starts.

Way to to not pick up a cliffhanger.

Frenck said:
There is way too much stuff happening between Halo 2 and Halo 3. So I guess the Chief will be fully equipped and runnuing around with a squad of Marines in Africa when the game starts.

Way to to not pick up a cliffhanger.

Intro movie/cutscene.

Flashback after the first mission.

Star Wars style crawl.

or my personal favourite

"Previously... on Halo..." said by the chief, followed by a recap of events, then a shitload of spoilers over the opening credits a la Battlestar Galactica.

Frenck said:

One four-part comic series is too much?

Frenck

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
One four-part comic series is too much?

For my tastes, yes.

The gap seems bigger than the Halo 1 -> Halo 2 gap to me, but Halo 1 didn't have a cruel cliffhanger ending for Halo 2 to pick up upon.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Is it 7 or is it 8 Gamerpics from Bungie Day 2007, because I only count 7 now that I've finally gotten to look at them: the Bungie logo, the Marathon logo, the Seventh Column logo, the fist holding the two lightning bolts, the Mister Chief one, the Marty one, and the sign with the guy broken in half... I hope the EU Marketplace didn't miss one damnit...

It seems that it would make sense for Bungie to show off a demo of the multiplayer content not in the beta, and a little bit of the singleplayer. They can give a little vertical slice of the singleplayer, and let the magazines get the rest.

GhaleonEB

Frenck said:
For my tastes, yes.

The gap seems bigger than the Halo 1 -> Halo 2 gap to me, but Halo 1 didn't have a cruel cliffhanger ending for Halo 2 to pick up upon.
The gap between Halo and Halo 2 was filled by an entire novel, though. I'm sure Bungie will explain what happened at the end of Halo 2.

GhaleonEB said:
The gap between Halo and Halo 2 was filled by an entire novel, though. I'm sure Bungie will explain what happened at the end of Halo 2.
Ghaleon's correct, we've got a lot of written word between those two games. There's two novels actually. Both First Strike and Ghosts of Onyx had portions which took place in between the two games, although the majority of the latter occurred before and after the events of Halo 2.

The fall of Reach technically happened around August 30, 2552 (over the course of a week or so afterward as well). The Pillar of Autumn arrived at Installation 04 (Alpha Halo) on September 19, 2552 and the events of the first game lasted approximately three days. The Chief, after trudging through the situations covered in the First Strike novel, returns to Earth on the Cairo Station orbital defense platform on approximately October 20, 2552, nearly a month after the events of the first game. They receive their medals on or around October 22, 2552.

Due to the Covenant's superior knowledge of Slipspace, their journey to Installation 05 (Delta Halo) is rather short. Some of have speculated that this was fueled by the location of a Forerunner property, others claim that its simply the reverse-engineered Forerunner technology that the Covenant already use. Either way, after the Slipspace Event of New Mombasa (an actual named historical event within Halo canon), In Amber Clad and Regret's capitol ship arrive at Delta Halo approximately between October 22nd and October 27th. During that week, the Covenant Civil War breaks out and the Halo installations go online. At some point the Chief secretly absconds to the Forerunner vessel with Truth and the majority of the Covenant fleet, and they travel to Earth.

It is unknown when exactly the Master Chief will arrive at Earth and I've never been able to put a date on it personally, but I would assume that the Halo: Uprising comics and/or the beginning of Halo 3 would depict the approximate date, if not the exact one. Looking back to Regret's trip from Delta Halo, near the gas giant referred to as Substance, it took less than five calendar days for that trip. This would place the beginning of Halo 3 or the comic series in very early November./halo nerdity

I'm open to correction as well...

While Ghosts of Onyx and First Strike do have parts that pertain to events after Halo 2, they do not necessarily have to do with the Master Chief or Arbiter, which is what Halo 3 will follow. So those events are important but...Sort of like side-stories. They don't move Master Chief or Arbiter in the scheme of events after the close of Halo 2.

So the only events that involve Master Chief after Halo 2 as far as I know (Correct me if I'm wrong) will be the Halo Uprising series. Othe than that, what you know from Halo 2 will still hold true uneffected by the novels and whatnot.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Skilotonn said:
Is it 7 or is it 8 Gamerpics from Bungie Day 2007, because I only count 7 now that I've finally gotten to look at them: the Bungie logo, the Marathon logo, the Seventh Column logo, the fist holding the two lightning bolts, the Mister Chief one, the Marty one, and the sign with the guy broken in half... I hope the EU Marketplace didn't miss one damnit...

?

ant1532

Banned
Mr Vociferous said:
Halo installations go online.
Wait, does that mean all 6 last rings are ready and in standby mode to be activated from the ark? That happened in Halo 2? Damn, when I played that I wasn't really knowledged on the story so I probably just forgot about it.

NJ Shlice

ant1532 said:
Wait, does that mean all 6 last rings are ready and in standby mode to be activated from the ark? That happened in Halo 2? Damn, when I played that I wasn't really knowledged on the story so I probably just forgot about it.

Halo 2 (two) Spoilers

Yes, The remaining 6 rings are now in standby mode and can only be activated from the Ark. Halo 2 ends where the Prophet of Truth hops on a Forerunner structure that was powering High Charity and heads towards Earth, towards the Ark. Chief hops on the ship with Truth.

ant1532

Banned
NJ x Falkor said:
Halo 2 (two) Spoilers

Yes, The remaining 6 rings are now in standby mode and can only be activated from the Ark. Halo 2 ends where the Prophet of Truth hops on a Forerunner structure that was powering High Charity and heads towards Earth, towards the Ark. Chief hops on the ship with Truth.
Wow, I played through the story multiple times but that was before I read up on the story or cared bout it at all really. I never really knew that was the reason, I thought it was just that the Covenant found earth so he heads down to follow, but yeah hopping on the same ship with Truth is so freaking awesome.

Top Bottom