• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 4 Screenshots (Grunt new design revealed)

GhaleonEB

this looks pretty meh. They went from creating something that looked original to making it look like an unreal clone. I mean, why get rid off all the elites under-armor, and why keep the methane tank but get rid of the breathing apparatus. These character designs look like they belong in gears of war not halo.

The methane is piped into the Grunt's (covered) nose via a tube.

halo4_360_visuel_011tjjl4.jpg

Frankfurt

Banned
this looks pretty meh. They went from creating something that looked original to making it look like an unreal clone. I mean, why get rid off all the elites under-armor, and why keep the methane tank but get rid of the breathing apparatus. These character designs look like they belong in gears of war not halo.

Those grunts and elites are on their own. They're making do with scrap.

To me, they wanted to show their teeth, make them more agressive/desperate/whatever, and chose to show the huge tube to explain how they're breathing.

for anyone questioning the elite/grunts being in the game or their character designed, I'd suggest reading the GI article. I was very skeptical of them being included at all, but after reading their involvement and how they sound essentially like rogue space pirates im all for them and this design change

Mengetsu

This is what the series has needed for a long time. I haven't been this interested in Halo since 2. Im liking the changes so far and this is coming from someone who gave up on Halo long ago.

Unity2012

Initially, in spite of my doubts--more like fears, about the changes on the MP; I am glad 343 are implementing new ideas and new features, even complete new modes.

At first I was a bit skeptical about how much could they change without taking away the Halo feel to the mix; but now, the more I learn and hear about these new modes and features, the more confident and excited I feel about Halo 4.

I look forward to learn more about the SP as well.

Of course it won't look that clean. Why would anyone honestly believe that?

Full 720p and FXAA and no "blurry" effect/ghosting ala Reach?

Yea, it will look MUCH cleaner than Reach at least, which is all people are asking. So either way, everyone wins.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
If the character models are this bad individually...why release screens of them indvidually?

I don't get why they'd do this.

Smokey

Starting to get hyped again...Halo is my favorite series but Reach...man Reach...

but I'm getting dat feeling back..

have to say I'm not sold on this grunt design either, but for different reasons. 1 being that it is unclear whether he's able to breathe (and through the mouth and all), but mostly because it now looks like it's not going to have its usual comic relief role, AND it looks too human or monkey-like.

Wretches and Locust being human-ish was sensible from Gears' context, but a group of aliens being even further antromorphisized than they already were from Halo 1 to Halo 2 (suddenly they just spoke English) doesn't seem to fit.

Also: bringing in 'the Covenant' at the start is a bit odd, to say the least. For one, 'the covenant' no longer exists, going by the Halo 3 ending. I'm worried that throwing these in as 'spec ops' or some splinter faction is only going to bring confusion to players.

for one, I'm completely unaware of what "rampancy" means and how it could possible be relevant. And I've been reading along with some of the extended universe stuff, so how this is going to relate to the average player is hard for me to see at this point.

Havok

Also: bringing in 'the Covenant' at the start is a bit odd, to say the least. For one, 'the covenant' no longer exists, going by the Halo 3 ending. I'm worried that throwing these in as 'spec ops' or some splinter faction is only going to bring confusion to players.

for one, I'm completely unaware of what "rampancy" means and how it could possible be relevant. And I've been reading along with some of the extended universe stuff, so how this is going to relate to the average player is hard for me to see at this point.
Previews so far have mentioned an extended prologue sequence to catch players up - the Conan O'Brien bit had a little bit of the audio from it. I have to imagine anything in the extended fiction that ties into major themes of the game will be explained (depending on the contents of the next Traviss novel, both issues you have could be fully explained by the time the game releases).

I certainly hope that 343 doesn't back away from showcasing elements of the extended universe in the games like Bungie did after everybody complained about not being the Chief the entire time in Halo 2.

Rad Agast

If the character models are this bad individually...why release screens of them indvidually?

I don't get why they'd do this.

The designs might not be to your liking which is fine but saying "the character models are this bad" is not really true now is it?

Play Halo 2 and 3. If you don't have the time, just watch some cut-scenes on youtube or halowaypoint. I've only read Fall of Reach (have all the other novels but haven't read them yet) and I don't have trouble following where the games are going story wise.

Pooya

"Last contact with UNSC" does not necessary mean that it plays 3 years after Halo 3. Maybe they had contact with the UNSC and Cortana ignores it etc.

about this, in their preview here, page2, http://www.gameblog.fr/news/28465-exclu-halo-4-on-y-a-joue-nos-impressions

they say the mission they saw was called "M10 Crash", 4 years after "The Halo Incident"

Elle s'appelle "M10 Crash" et débute à la manière de la cinématique en images de synthèse que nous avons déjà vue. L'action se situe 4 ans après "l'incident Halo".

PnCIa

I don't think they're awful, but the texture quality is...questionable at best,
Regarding the texture quality, that was my first thought, too. But then i realized we´re talking about a console with 512 MB Ram here, and i´m simply spoiled by PC gaming.
I just would like to see non bullshot versions of the ingame screens.

I'm still confused about the Grunts. So they breathe methane through their nose and, what, have to try their best not to breathe in using their mouth? They'll be easier to kill than ever.

raphier

Banned
I'm still confused about the Grunts. So they breathe methane through their nose and, what, have to try their best not to breathe in using their mouth? They'll be easier to kill than ever.

thank god these designers don't work for NASA, they'd be dead by now.

The air they breathe through their mouth obviously isn't toxic, it just doesn't have the required level of methane. It's the equivalent of someone on Earth with lung issues having Oxygen going up their nose in a tube.

I'd watch out. I asked this and I got jumped by the halo-drones for 'trolling' because not everyone spends their time reading about halo.

You have no business commenting on a universes foe's when your misinformed. I dont go into the Killzone threads with "Ugh more helghast why are we still fighting them i beat them already"

Elites and Grunts as as iconic to halo as the vehicles are by this point why would the out right retire them when not only do they still actively exists within the Galactic Community of Halo but they dont subtract anything from the game either, its well documented that we are getting new foes and its also known the flood will not return.

Halo 4 will have Ex-Covenant but its also going to have Forerunners and the fact the ex-covenant are going to be their has zero impact on that, id much rather we see elites ect than they just vanish.

Why is it whenever a Halo Fan comments about halo and corrects someone we get deemed as Foaming fanboys that defend the franchise beyond all reason? I dont know if your ever been in the HaloGAF threads but we heavily heavily condemn bad design choices. Yea we are passionate about halo but we dont defend it without logic.

Comments like "They really want us to keep fighting Grunts and Elites huh?" should be condemned and corrected, they are based inside false assumptions coming from people with little knowledge about the universe and they benefit a discussion in no way.

You might aswell say "looks like halo" the comments are just as Invalid as each other.

Top Bottom